Sun Sentinal: Adam Gase did not like Sam Darnold as a prospect last year

Yes he would of. There’s only 32 HC jobs and almost all of them were taken and the Jets were the only team stupid enough to hire him. 
And if he fails with us no one will ever hire us again. If he hated the roster so much he would have waited for another opportunity and earned his living doing a lesser role until then

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

And if he fails with us no one will ever hire us again. If he hated the roster so much he would have waited for another opportunity and earned his living doing a lesser role until then

Zero chance he’d pass up a HC job. He’s a professional HC he thinks he can fix any team and win.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

And it piles on.  We're in the same camp that didn't love the Gase hire, but come on. This is just dumb now.  The problem is that we open ourselves up for all of this BS by the way we do business. 

I'm just hoping we get Douglas and call this a day. The guy is legit and would instantly be the first REAL GM we've had since Steinberg... who was terrible. 

Can you do me a favor and post the article above. I cant see the link because of stupid EU internet rules. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If, at the end of the turmoil, it results in Gase and Joe Douglas with a moat around them controlling the near future of the team, it’ll be worth it 

From past history I like the sound of Douglas.  Not so much Gase.

3 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

https://www.richmond.com/sports/ap/dave-hyde-adam-gase-keeps-cashing-in-on-failure/article_48ad80d7-ed94-57a0-a5d4-c20e2cf5c7a4.html

Some of this is getting out of hand IMO.

There have now been reports Gase doesn’t like Bell, Mosley, Williams, and Darnold.

Honestly if all this is true and you didn’t like the teams QB and offseason strategy why take the job?

Also-Gase had zero shot at getting Darnold (who was a top 3 lock) so why would Gase spend a lot of time scouting him? 

Probably for the same reason you keep looking up these old stories to denigrate him...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

https://www.richmond.com/sports/ap/dave-hyde-adam-gase-keeps-cashing-in-on-failure/article_48ad80d7-ed94-57a0-a5d4-c20e2cf5c7a4.html

Some of this is getting out of hand IMO.

There have now been reports Gase doesn’t like Bell, Mosley, Williams, and Darnold.

Honestly if all this is true and you didn’t like the teams QB and offseason strategy why take the job?

Also-Gase had zero shot at getting Darnold (who was a top 3 lock) so why would Gase spend a lot of time scouting him? 

yep, it's getting pretty stupid.  so gase would've wanted mayfield or allen ahead of darnold or rosen.  there are plenty of teams that would have wanted those guys in the same order during the draft.  in fact, look at how mac only got up to the 3rd pick.  anyone think darnold would be there at the time?  for a while it was looking like the jets were going to have to settle for rosen or allen or even jackson.

as for the doltfin comments, gase didn't have a decent qb for any of the seasons yet tannehill had a career year with him as hc.  and bell? bell cost too much.  he's going to fit whatever scheme gase wants to run.

lol - you think someone else was giving Gase a Head Coaching gig after that disaster in Miami? 
He didnt have choices.  
But if he took a step back and was say a successful offensive coordinator there and maybe displayed some of that qb whispering he is supposubly known for a better team might have made him an offer.

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Technically, I think he can.  He's the GM.  He could also possibly promote himself to full-time GM since....you know, he's the current interim GM.  I think that's how it works.

Not on the jets. He independently answers to C Johnson in either capacity, so he'll have to just go talk sh*t about himself on both sides...

4 hours ago, F00tballGuy69 said:

This is ridiculous.  If Gase didn't like Darnold, he wouldn't have come here.  He knew who the QB was when he agreed to take the job.  This reeks of bitter hack writer for a rival team trying to stir up more nonsense.  

Good Lord one would hope not.

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

But if he took a step back and was say a successful offensive coordinator there and maybe displayed some of that qb whispering he is supposubly known for a better team might have made him an offer.

Why wait for another HC'ing job when the Jets are offering you one?  Tomorrow isnt guaranteed today. 

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

IMHO That's what I think he should have done. Any fired 1st time HC should do that so he has time to analyze what he could have done differently.

4 hours ago, F00tballGuy69 said:

This is ridiculous.  If Gase didn't like Darnold, he wouldn't have come here.  He knew who the QB was when he agreed to take the job.  This reeks of bitter hack writer for a rival team trying to stir up more nonsense.  

Don’t think that’s the case. I think it’s meant to illustrate his inability to evaluate talent. After everyone agreed in one season how good he is, he’s all aboard the Sam train 

Why wait for another HC'ing job when the Jets are offering you one?  Tomorrow isnt guaranteed today. 
If you don't like the roster you don't bet your career on it. I would not agree to take a manager position if I knew all my employees would have no work ethic that would be silly I would rather wait for a better opportunity where I have a chance to be more successful. Being a successful assistant manager looks better on a resume than a terrible manager.

4 hours ago, Mark78 said:

Time to fire Gase while we're at it!

can Gase fire himself?

No but maybe the gm he brings in will replace him before the season or demote him to OC where he was supposed to be in the first place. The ultimate coup de Grace 

this team is a laughingstock. The second biggest blunder , after only belichik’s hasty departure according to radio personalities 

12 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

If you don't like the roster you don't bet your career on it. I would not agree to take a manager position if I knew all my employees would have no work ethic that would be silly I would rather wait for a better opportunity where I have a chance to be more successful. Being a successful assistant manager looks better on a resume than a terrible manager.

Sure but there are only 32 of these jobs in the world and tomorrow is guaranteed today.  Lots can happen if you push off a HC'ing offer.   Gase cant necessarily control where he goes as a coordinator.  He could end up with a sh*tty QB and a terrible offense.  In the meantime, the next hot up and comer is having a huge year and leap frogs Gase on the HC target list.   Or maybe, the next place isnt appealing either.  Then what, you turn down those opportunities too?   

You can always fall back on a coordinator role.  You cant always get Head Coaching gigs. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

And it piles on.  We're in the same camp that didn't love the Gase hire, but come on. This is just dumb now.  The problem is that we open ourselves up for all of this BS by the way we do business. 

I'm just hoping we get Douglas and call this a day. The guy is legit and would instantly be the first REAL GM we've had since Steinberg... who was terrible. 

I stopped reading after this post of yours on the first page of the thread. I agree with you. At this point, lets just hire Douglas and get this over with. However, its for a different reason. I don't see Douglas doing much "GMing" here, other then doing Gase's bidding. I just want to hire him and let this nightmare week come to an end.

As far as Douglas' qualifications? Honestly everything I'm hearing about him reminds me of what I was hearing about Macc when we hired him. Never heard of him before we became interested. Well thought of, coming from a solid organization.

As far as him actually coming here? Its starting to remind me of the coaching candidates, and some FA's we THOUGHT we had "locked up" this winter, and never ended up with. The longer this goes on the less I think its going to happen. Tick tick tick....

At this point its all becoming farcical to me. Reading the first few posts seeing people trying to discredit the OPs thread as people just backstabbing Gase. Why would that be? LOL. Have you ever heard anyone say anything nice about him besides Peyton Manning? The kicker is him possibly not liking Darnold. They can laugh it off, but haven't most things we've heard about Gase ended up on point so far?

Honestly, at this point its becoming surreal. I really am starting to become convinced we have a lunatic running this organization right now. 

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Its also possible he didn't like Darnold as a prospect initially and likes him now.  People get this stuff wrong sometimes.  Doesn't mean he's a poor talent evaluator.  And hence why he took the job here. 

There were reasons not to be fully onboard with Darnold at the time.  Turnovers, a few footwork issues (I believe one scout/analyst called him a "cow on skates", lol), and a questionable QBase score were among them.  And there's still only a little bit of evidence available on him to suggest he could become an elite QB.  I think he can/will, but when he was coming out of school, there were certainly a few important question marks. 

In short, this article is worthless. 

Or maybe, just maybe its true, and he took the Jets job because it was his only available option.

I get what you're saying, you're making perfect sense. Just remember though, people weren't rushing to hire Gase either.

4 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

The guy is an absolute lunatic.  As nutty as it sounds this could be true.

Can you imagine being CJ and now having to deal with this?  This is comical and what you get when you go all in on a psychopath.

I don't know if he will be a good HC but he defiantly would fit in as a poster here..:wacko: