Robert Pattinson to Play The Batman in Matt Reeves’ Film

Perhaps all these movies with people in literally childrens' Halloween costumes have gotten out of hand.

Have not watched  Marvel movies since first few Iron Man ones with Downey, but how does Benedict Cumberpatch put on the Doctor Strange wardrobe while laughing his ass off while counting his money? "Ok , how many f___in' million is that?" 

• Upvote 1

I really enjoyed The Batman. It covered the detective aspect of the character far better than we have ever seen on film. Its also a more vulnerable Batman who relies less on technology and is also hurt more often than we are accustomed to. Pattinson was ok, not as good as Bale or Keaton, but probably better than the others that have played the role. I thought Riddler, Selina Kyle and Turturro were excellent. Farrel is unrecognizable as Penguin, who is good but really is more of a side character in this movie. Less Alfred in the movie than I expected and I was a little underwhelmed by Jeffrey Wright (who is typically brilliant) as Jim Gordon. There is a cameo at the end that felt unnecessary and forced. Movie is long, but it never felt slow and I was generally entertained. 

Its not better than The Dark Night, but it is in the next tier with Batman 89 and the other 2 Nolan movies. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, maury77 said:

I really enjoyed The Batman. It covered the detective aspect of the character far better than we have ever seen on film. Its also a more vulnerable Batman who relies less on technology and is also hurt more often than we are accustomed to. Pattinson was ok, not as good as Bale or Keaton, but probably better than the others that have played the role. I thought Riddler, Selina Kyle and Turturro were excellent. Farrel is unrecognizable as Penguin, who is good but really is more of a side character in this movie. Less Alfred in the movie than I expected and I was a little underwhelmed by Jeffrey Wright (who is typically brilliant) as Jim Gordon. There is a cameo at the end that felt unnecessary and forced. Movie is long, but it never felt slow and I was generally entertained. 

Its not better than The Dark Night, but it is in the next tier with Batman 89 and the other 2 Nolan movies. 

I agree with a lot of this. I thought Wright was an awesome Jim gordon though. One thing I'll add is that while RP was a passable batman, he was god aweful as Bruce Wayne. 

2 hours ago, Flightattendant said:

I agree with a lot of this. I thought Wright was an awesome Jim gordon though. One thing I'll add is that while RP was a passable batman, he was god aweful as Bruce Wayne. 

I went back and forth on this. At first, I thought he was terrible as Bruce Wayne. You expect a well put together billionaire genius. He was more of a emo teenager. But as the story developed, it played off OK as a son who struggling to cope with his parents being killed, much like the mayors boy.

10 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I went back and forth on this. At first, I thought he was terrible as Bruce Wayne. You expect a well put together billionaire genius. He was more of a emo teenager. But as the story developed, it played off OK as a son who struggling to cope with his parents being killed, much like the mayors boy.

All that is fine as far that story may go in another universe, but I've never seen Bruce Wayne portrayed as such (especially while he's already taken on the role as batman).

Saw it today.  The first third of the film had me thinking this was the greatest Batman movie ever.  It started to drag a bit in the middle, but kicked back up for the final action scene.  The ending definitely dragged though.  

Over all I really really liked it.  It got so very close to me loving it, but fell short of that.  

It may have been the fight scenes.  Batman is supposed to try and dodge the gun fire, not just walk into it over and over.  Attack from the shadows, not head long into action.  If he was a bit more stealthy in his approach and they cut about 30 minutes out, it's an A+ film. 

That being said, it's right there with TDK as the best film.

1. TDK

2. The Batman

3. Batman Begins

4. Batman

5. Batman Returns

6. DKR

7. the rest were crap. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, chirorob said:

I saw that today. 

That is a great scene they should have left in.

I love it. The Joker has been way overdone at this point in Batman movies as the main guy. Using him as a Hannibal Lecter-type character is a great and fitting take. I hope they stick with this. Shame they didn’t leave it in.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, chirorob said:

I saw that today. 

That is a great scene they should have left in.

Call me crazy, but glad they didnt.  I didnt even like the cameo at the end.  I just felt like this was a great time to show the story and Gotham, without Joker.  He wasnt necessary.  I dont think the scene added anything to the storyline, other than to say, ewwwww Joker is demented and twisted and Batman seeks his advice?!?!?!  It was unnecessary to the plot, IMO and personally, I think it dilutes the detective aspects of Batman in the version.

And I'm just overall confused on wtf DC is doing with Joker, 4 different Joker's have appeared that last 4 times he's been featured.  Who is he?  A continuation of Ledger?  They quickly abandoned Leto?  And what's up w/ Phoenix?  Are we just getting 1 film with his version of Joker?  That's a shame because IMO, that's the best movie DC has ever done.

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Call me crazy, but glad they didnt.  I didnt even like the cameo at the end.  I just felt like this was a great time to show the story and Gotham, without Joker.  He wasnt necessary.  I dont think the scene added anything to the storyline, other than to say, ewwwww Joker is demented and twisted and Batman seeks his advice?!?!?!  It was unnecessary to the plot, IMO and personally, I think it dilutes the detective aspects of Batman in the version.

And I'm just overall confused on wtf DC is doing with Joker, 4 different Joker's have appeared that last 4 times he's been featured.  Who is he?  A continuation of Ledger?  They quickly abandoned Leto?  And what's up w/ Phoenix?  Are we just getting 1 film with his version of Joker?  That's a shame because IMO, that's the best movie DC has ever done.

Phoenix playing Joker was one of the most eerily compelling things I watched. Felt beyond real! Of course they screw it up, 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

The lack of continuity hurts.  

They also are trying to have their DC Movie universe going, but at the same time have a Batman movie that has nothing to do with it.

Probably my biggest issue with "The Batman" is Batman didn't actually do anything.  He didn't stop the Riddler, he didn't catch him, he did nothing.  He did probably kill a bunch of innocent drivers while chasing the Penguin though, so there's that.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

The lack of continuity hurts.  

They also are trying to have their DC Movie universe going, but at the same time have a Batman movie that has nothing to do with it.

Probably my biggest issue with "The Batman" is Batman didn't actually do anything.  He didn't stop the Riddler, he didn't catch him, he did nothing.  He did probably kill a bunch of innocent drivers while chasing the Penguin though, so there's that.

For sure, the continuity is weird with DC.  It's like they are doing a bunch of stand alone movies while they're trying to build a universe on the side.  It's weird and I've liked a lot of them, but yeah, still just disjointed.

I actually really liked that Batman was largely unsuccessful in detective efforts and that Riddler was 1 step ahead.  It played into the portrayal of him being such a flawed, vulnerable conflicted version of the Batman.  Obviously he kind of saves the day, so to speak, so he does do that but I hear you, you're not getting the every 20 minutes Batman does something cool type of storytelling, which for me was a nice break for the norm.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Phoenix playing Joker was one of the most eerily compelling things I watched. Felt beyond real! Of course they screw it up, 

I was shook when I left the movie theatre.  Shook.  It took me like an hour, if not 2 to decompress.  I cant remember the last time I've felt that way watching a movie.  Legit, one of my favorite movies of all time.

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I was shook when I left the movie theatre.  Shook.  It took me like an hour, if not 2 to decompress.  I cant remember the last time I've felt that way watching a movie.  Legit, one of my favorite movies of all time.

Yep, I saw it with my friend Bobby at an old run down theatre across from GMU. We left there and went to the tap house in the same complex  and literally stared at each other wondering WTF we just watched. Yet, the movie felt  as real as if I was there when it happen. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

I haven’t seen it yet either. I grew up, likely the way you did, hoping Adam West would escape the villains ill  conceived execution plan every other episode! Haha, 

Yup. The black and white George Reeves Superman too !

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

I haven't seen the movie yet, but can you tell me why was this scene cut?  It is amazing. The slow reveal of Joker is great.

Reeves is on record saying that he didn’t know if there would be a sequel and didn’t want to display the movie as though their would be, so he didn’t want to give the audience the impression that he was setting things up for the future. The end Joker scene was more a wink to the audience and still kept things focused on Dano, and I believe the way Reeves put it was that he wanted people to interpret it as this was a Gotham that had been around for quite some time. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/25/2022 at 6:52 AM, JiFapono said:

I disliked the cameo at the end also, but I loved this deleted scene. 

The Lecter role feels a bit played out, but it works.  

Releasing it now works because it would've felt forced in the theater, not to mention adding another 5 minutes to an already way too long film.