Tony Pauline: "The entire Jets organization needs to be totally cleansed from top to bottom & side to side for any real positive change."

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No, incorrect.  A smart CEO makes the change at GM when here fires the previous coach and is damn sure that the new coach he has brought in is going to work well with his existing gm.

A stupid CEO keeps on a GM who has done poorly and then goes uh-oh when he realizes a few months later that the coach and the GM are not going to work together.

A smart CEO is engaged and on top of his organization.  CJ was not.

As I said in another post.  Patting him on the head for doing a good job when he botched up the whole thing is silly. 

Mac was bad and had to go.  Great.  Thanks for letting him set this team up for 2 or 3 years before firing him. 

Just basic simple good practices and our owners can't do it.

There is no difference between anointing Gase HC and interim GM in Feburary and doing it in May.  It's not like there were these great GM candidates out there tailor-made to step in on a dime with an entirely new scouting and analytics department with 4 weeks to prepare for free agency and 7 weeks to prepare for the draft.

Johnson and Gase were intimately involved in this years FA and draft processes, Mike Maccagnan a mere puppet doing all the dirty work at their behest. 

Our owner is just fine.  He spends money and takes bold chances.  That's all any fan would want from its ownership in the NFL.  And he got the best HC candidate out there this year in Adam Gase.  And he got the best DC candidate out there in Gregg Williams.  And he traded up and got us our franchise quarterback.  I'd say Mr. Johnson is doing just fine as a new NFL CEO thank you.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I like Tony but he needs to be specific.

The Jets got rid of the HC, the GM, purged some players, got rid of Heimerdinger.  Tell us more about this total cleansing, Tony. Be specific.  Are you talking about Jill at the front desk?  Does she need to go? Are you talking about ownership?  Are you talking about moving the team to the West Coast?

This sounds like a politician saying we need "change," but never articulating what it really means.  Anybody can walk into a crappy corporation's boardroom and say, "Change everything!  Top to bottom, change it all."  But, change.....it.....to.....what, Tony?

The irony of this being posted on a message board harboring people who complain about everything but never offer alternative solutions is just....irony.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Jets got rid of the worst Head Coach since Kotite and a lousy GM and people are outraged because it happened during the incorrect month

Goes a lot deeper than just the incorrect month. 

You let a GM you probably knew you were going to fire anyway spend 100 mil then run the draft.

By doing that you created a rift within the organization with some taking one side  and some taking the other. I'm sure some of those people still work in the building.

You could have hired a GM after firing Bowles and Macc and let said GM be a big part of the direction of this organization and have a part in hiring the new coach.

You could have avoided the HC not liking some of the players picked up in FA and via the draft that he still has to deal with now. Without any GM who is going look for possible players shaking loose from other teams during OTA's, mini camp and training camp since the HC now has to focus on the team and getting them on the same page as him for the regular season how will he find the time to make possible deals that may very well fall through the cracks.

Obviously none of this was thought out at all and it makes no difference if you liked Macc or not, doing it at this time was stupid.

It should have been done when Bowles was dumped

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

JetNation has integrity. For example when we have [mention=9582]T0mShane[/mention] rile everyone up, we never pay him directly. We leave the money on the dresser and he grabs out on his way out in the morning. We are classy like that.

Is it true that a JetNation mod is obligated to tell you who they are if you ask them directly?

14 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

And now they're going to run with every media troll that tries to pin all the blame on Gase. I used to think us Jet fans were simply crazy , now I'm thinking a big majority are certifiable. 

+1 You can't have a good circus without clown fans..=D>

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I like Tony but he needs to be specific.

The Jets got rid of the HC, the GM, purged some players, got rid of Heimerdinger.  Tell us more about this total cleansing, Tony. Be specific.  Are you talking about Jill at the front desk?  Does she need to go? Are you talking about ownership?  Are you talking about moving the team to the West Coast?

This sounds like a politician saying we need "change," but never articulating what it really means.  Anybody can walk into a crappy corporation's boardroom and say, "Change everything!  Top to bottom, change it all."  But, change.....it.....to.....what, Tony?

The irony of this being posted on a message board harboring people who complain about everything but never offer alternative solutions is just....irony.

In a follow-up post, he did say that Jill needed to go but that the Jets were too scared to fire her because of #MeToo.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

There is no difference between anointing Gase HC and interim GM in Feburary and doing it in May.  It's not like there were these great GM candidates out there tailor-made to step in on a dime with an entirely new scouting and analytics department with 4 weeks to prepare for free agency and 7 weeks to prepare for the draft.

Johnson and Gase were intimately involved in this years FA and draft processes, Mike Maccagnan a mere puppet doing all the dirty work at their behest. 

Our owner is just fine.  He spends money and takes bold chances.  That's all any fan would want from its ownership in the NFL.  And he got the best HC candidate out there this year in Adam Gase.  And he got the best DC candidate out there in Gregg Williams.  And he traded up and got us our franchise quarterback.  I'd say Mr. Johnson is doing just fine as a new NFL CEO thank you.

SAR I

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-jets-behind-scenes-adam-gase-mike-maccagnan-20190517-wnaoganfijefdi452rtuxb4tsa-story.html

image.png.3d4131ac7aed0cc8486997801a8360df.png

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Johnson and Gase were intimately involved in this years FA and draft processes, Mike Maccagnan a mere puppet doing all the dirty work at their behest. 

I think you got it all wrong...Gase gave Macc enough rope to hang him self with come draft time. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-jets-behind-scenes-adam-gase-mike-maccagnan-20190517-wnaoganfijefdi452rtuxb4tsa-story.html

11 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Uh, Joe, we already had one of those, last season.  That ham sandwich is now a Defensive Coordinator in Tampa Bay.

Probably the saddest pairing of a “HC” and “GM” in NFL history.  They were pretty much the very worst at their jobs in the entire league.  Statistically speaking that’s almost impossible to do, hiring the very worst for both those jobs simultaneously.

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

There should be an NFL rule, that if ownership's team doesn't achieve a Super Bowl appearance in something like 15 years, then ownership should be forced to sell the team.

Fans deserve this.

How many Jets fans are still alive that witnessed that blessed event called Super Bowl III?  Most have expired.  Remainder soon to disappear from memory.  

The Johnson & Johnson's should have the decency to at least offer cryogenic services to those fans and families 60 years or older.  Then unfreeze them when Jets finally stumble into the Supe.

Jets fans deserve this.

3 hours ago, tdoublee said:

All of these writers are just trying to outdo each other for the "hottest take" at this point. It's getting silly and overblown.

Can't wait until camp officially starts so we can focus on football again.

Actually, these writers were all told the reports of Macc/Gase fighting were bogus and reported as such. When Macc got fired they hot upset and are lashing out at the organization. 

From what we know of these reporters it shouldn't be a shocking response.

• Upvote 1

Grandfather Johnson worked his ass off to afford his children and grandchildren the luxury of never having to truly work. Would you want a bunch of yokels, wearing zubaz pants and snorteling into their sh*tty light beer telling your grandchildren they need to sell their company because a bunch of randos don't like what you're doing? Please. If you don't like it, don't watch it. That's the only way to achieve what you're proposing. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Grandfather Johnson worked his ass off to afford his children and grandchildren the luxury of never having to truly work. Would you want a bunch of yokels, wearing zubaz pants and snorteling into their sh*tty light beer telling your grandchildren they need to sell their company because a bunch of randos don't like what you're doing? Please. If you don't like it, don't watch it. That's the only way to achieve what you're proposing. 

What a garbage post

16 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Our owner is fine?

Our owner is one of the worst in professional sports.  Not only have the Johnson Brothers set up a structure that has proven not to work, but they have repeatedly forced GM candidates to accept coaches, rather then set up a partnership.  That philosophy resulted in JOHN IDZIK being a general manager of a billion dollar NFL franchise. 

They have so little football sense and connections in the league that for two of the most recent main hires, they hired Charlie Casserly, a geriatric aged ex-football guy who has no understanding of todays league and went so far as to use an executive search firm, as if they were looking for a VP of Finance, not a General Manager of a New York football franchise. 

On top of that they are responsible for a stadium that cost $1.6 billion dollars and is an embarrassment compared to what other teams have built in the last 10 years.

They updated the team's uniforms this season, and instead of unveiling them with a digital presentation (its 2019), they set up an in-person event, with a D list celebrity, in one of the worst displays of marketing I've ever seen.  

All this while watching their investment grow from $800 million to over $2 billion.  

Bad football sense.  Bad business sense.  Bad marketing sense.  What exactly do these guys do well other then being better then James Dolan, the worst owner in the history of professional sports.  

I have no problem firing Mac, he was terrible at his job.  But the way this franchise does things is a result of 2 brothers who have never had to accomplish anything in their lives running a multi-billion dollar organization in one of the most competitive industries on earth.

28 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Our owner is fine?

Our owner is one of the worst in professional sports.  Not only have the Johnson Brothers set up a structure that has proven not to work, but they have repeatedly forced GM candidates to accept coaches, rather then set up a partnership. 

Not this again.

We play in a division with an NFL dynasty, we've been starting draft busts and career backups at QB for a decade, and as a result we lose games and no one of quality wants to come here.  There is nothing that any other owner could have done differently in the last 18 years.  There is no GM or HC that was begging for the jobs and we've been scraping at the bottom of the barrel of NFL talent.  And your theory of "hire the head coach and GM at the same time!" conveniently forgets that Tannenbaum and Ryan didn't start at the same time and yet were able to get us within a few plays of the Super Bowl in consecutive years.  It's not about structure.  Plenty of pro sports teams hire/fire HC's and GM's on odd years.  It's about winning.  Start winning, show a franchise quarterback, all of a sudden people want to come here.

To Chris Johnson's credit, despite a 5-11 record, he lobbied and signed the best HC candidate on the market a few months ago, got the best DC candidate on the market a few months ago, retained the best ST coordinator a few months ago, drafted what many believe to be the best player in the draft last month, and drafted what appears to be a franchise QB a year ago, trading up to #3 to grab him.  We recruited and signed the best defensive and offensive free agents on the market too, almost forgot, CJ Mosely and Le'Veon Bell.  That's not Same Ol' Johnson's.  That's an aggressive owner.  And by getting rid of Maccagnan Chris solved the fractured culture in Florham Park.  No more dysfunction.

But you go ahead and keep regurgitating what the media feeds you.  Act like the savant they think Jets fans are.  Swallow all the negativity.  Because it makes you feel good to fail.  Because you're too scared to face success.  We are an 8-8 team that has a realistic ceiling of 10-6.  That didn't happen by mistake.  Thank God our owner doesn't act like you.  He wants to win.  And he's making bold moves to make it happen. 

SAR I

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is a good spot to remind Jets fans that Bill Parcells and Eric Mangini both took over bigger dumpster fire Jets teams than this and had them in contention within three years. It takes one guy with a semblance of leadership talent to right this ship. Pauline is being dramatic 

It takes one guy. Leadership talent preferred, but not necessary. And it takes something else. It's rule number one but it's not the only rule. Parcells had talent for days but he also had the luxury of not being expected to worry about the long run. What leadership ability Mangini had was mostly just a matter of being smart and stubborn, which also got him fired. Of course this is also what makes Belichick successful as well as what got him fired before the Patriots and would have gotten him fired there too if he didn't get results ahead of schedule.

53 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Not this again.

We play in a division with an NFL dynasty, we've been starting draft busts and career backups at QB for a decade, and as a result we lose games and no one of quality wants to come here.  There is nothing that any other owner could have done differently in the last 18 years.  There is no GM or HC that was begging for the jobs and we've been scraping at the bottom of the barrel of NFL talent.  And your theory of "hire the head coach and GM at the same time!" conveniently forgets that Tannenbaum and Ryan didn't start at the same time and yet were able to get us within a few plays of the Super Bowl in consecutive years.  It's not about structure.  Plenty of pro sports teams hire/fire HC's and GM's on odd years.  It's about winning.  Start winning, show a franchise quarterback, all of a sudden people want to come here.

To Chris Johnson's credit, despite a 5-11 record, he lobbied and signed the best HC candidate on the market a few months ago, got the best DC candidate on the market a few months ago, retained the best ST coordinator a few months ago, drafted what many believe to be the best player in the draft last month, and drafted what appears to be a franchise QB a year ago, trading up to #3 to grab him.  We recruited and signed the best defensive and offensive free agents on the market too, almost forgot, CJ Mosely and Le'Veon Bell.  That's not Same Ol' Johnson's.  That's an aggressive owner.  And by getting rid of Maccagnan Chris solved the fractured culture in Florham Park.  No more dysfunction.

But you go ahead and keep regurgitating what the media feeds you.  Act like the savant they think Jets fans are.  Swallow all the negativity.  Because it makes you feel good to fail.  Because you're too scared to face success.  We are an 8-8 team that has a realistic ceiling of 10-6.  That didn't happen by mistake.  Thank God our owner doesn't act like you.  He wants to win.  And he's making bold moves to make it happen. 

SAR I

There’s nothing ownership could have done - aside from be competent enough for Bill Billichek to not quit after 2 hours on the job. 

Also nothing in my post is media driven. I love the Jets, want them to do well and hope that Gase and whoever we hire works out. That doesn’t mean I blindly support everything about the organization. 

I’ve followed this team and professional sports my entire life. Woody and Chris Johnson aren’t good at their jobs, if they were this team wouldn’t be in the middle of an 8 year playoff drought with PSLs selling for cents on the dollar.  

I’m not surprised about your stance though as you take your opinion as fact on this board day in and day out. 

SAR - Mark Sanchez was a good player who wasn’t given a fair shot to succeed.  Truth - Mark Sanchez can’t  land a 3rd string job in the league

SAR - PSLs are a success because I like my seats. Truth - if something originally cost $5K and is now for sale for $200 it’s not a success for the team. 

SAR - Chris and Woody make bold moves and 8 years ago made back to back championship games. It’s not their fault it’s because the Pats are in our division. Truth - good owners get good talent by either having people want to work with them or by being humble enough  to cede responsibility.  Chris and especially Woody Johnson haven’t attracted talent to this organization because they aren’t good at their jobs  

• Upvote 1