Nick Mangold, Willie Colon stunned by Mike Maccagnan firing

New York Jets: Nick Mangold, Willie Colon stunned by Mike Maccagnan firing

By
 Robby Sabo
 -
 05/17/2019

Nick Mangold (AP Photo | Julio Cortez

Former New York Jets offensive linemen Nick Mangoldand Willie Colon express shock by the Mike Maccagnan firing.

Robby Sabo

The Mike Maccagnan fallout continues with former New York Jets employees expressing shock over the sudden firing.

Former Jets offensive linemen Nick Mangold and Willie Colon were both blindsided by the Maccagnan move that now sees Adam Gase sitting atop the organization with all the power, via Zach Braziller of the New York Post.

“What the hell is going on?” Colon said.

“Crazy,” Mangold said. “Just as you all are confused, so am I.”

The two former big heavies spoke with the Post at CC Sabathia’s charity softball game at Yankee Stadium on Thursday night, just a day after the shocking bit of news.

“It is [strange]. You figure you let a guy handle your free agency, let him handle your draft, that’s the kind of moves you let a guy make who will be around for the future,” said Colon, who was at Yankee Stadium for the CC Sabathia charity softball game Thursday night.

“It came out of nowhere,” Mangold said. “Just as surprised as everybody else. … I love Chris Johnson. I think he’s learning as he goes. There’s no real school for owning a football team.”

Mangold, 35, who so classically announced his retirement last offseason, played 11 seasons in the NFL, all with the Jets. A first-round selection in the 2006 NFL Draft, the personality-driven center made seven Pro Bowl teams along with two First-Team All-Pro squads.

Colon, 36, played three seasons in New York, 2013-16, after an impressive run in Pittsburgh with the Steelers. He’s now a New York sports media mainstay with jobs at SNY and Barstool Sports.

The firing ends Mike Maccagnan’s four-years-and-change run with the New York Jets that saw him bring on talents like Sam Darnold, Jamal Adams, Leonard Williams and Quinnen Williams.

https://elitesportsny.com/2019/05/17/new-york-jets-news-nick-mangold-willie-colon-stunned-over-mike-maccagnan-firing/

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

So two very good offensive linemen who had a lot of success in the nfl and playoffs, can’t understand why a gm was fired, a gm who never drafted offensive linemen.

It’s not like Nick Mangold and Willie Colon looked up his draft history. They know the names of a few guys he picked but don’t ask them how long it was before Jarvis Harrison, Chad Hansen, ArDarius Stewart, Devin Smith, Lorenzo Mauldin, Christian Hackenberg, Bryce Petty or Justin Burris were cut from the team.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

So two very good offensive linemen who had a lot of success in the nfl and playoffs, can’t understand why a gm was fired, a gm who never drafted offensive linemen.

People keep getting this totally  wrong, again and again.  They like most people hammering the owner on this are bewildered by the timing.

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

People keep getting this totally  wrong, again and again.  They like most people hammering the owner on this are bewildered by the timing.

I am totally fine with that. F Woody and Chris Johnson! They are next on the list and I am happy that EVERYONE is trashing them. As long as Gase can be a decent coach and Darnold takes the next step, I don’t care. Let those p*ssy moron Johnson brothers feel the heat and finally sell the team.(not likely but a man can dream)

18 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Timing shmiming, he had to go.

Dorsey and Gettleman were let go at the same time.

You don't get it.  Like a legion of others you  just don't get it.

I've been calling for him to be canned for about 3 years.  He needed to be fired.  He was a lousy GM.

People are patting our idiot CEO on the head for firing the guy when all logic and diligence says he should be fired when bowles was fired.

He let him stay on and set the team up for about the next 2 or 3 years and then fired him, way too late.

Our guy at the top making the most important decisions is a clueless newbie.

• Post of the Week 3

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You don't get it.  Like a legion of others you  just don't get it.

I've been calling for him to be canned for about 3 years.  He needed to be fired.  He was a lousy GM.

People are patting our idiot CEO on the head for firing the guy when all logic and diligence says he should be fired when bowles was fired.

He let him stay on and set the team up for about the next 2 or 3 years and then fired him, way too late.

Our guy at the top making the most important decisions is a clueless newbie.

Agreed, he should have been fired before but he wasn't, and that is more egregious than firing him in May.

2 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Agreed, he should have been fired before but he wasn't, and that is more egregious than firing him in May.

But retaining him now just to save face and waiting until after the 2019 season to fire Macc?  THAT would be much worse.

Macc and Bowles were on the same page.  It was a bad page.  It took the hiring of Gase to show CJ that Macc wasn't running a tight ship and that Macc and his HC were not coordinated.  At that point what do you do?  Ride it for 7 months just to avoid making the front page of the papers with an "out of season" firing?

I'm not disagreeing with you.  I'm saying that getting rid of Macc late is better than getting rid of him even later.  Macc got a life line in January because he seems to have finally drafted a potential franchise QB.  He also just had a 2017 pick make the Pro Bowl.  He had traded a 6th round pick for a starting DE who the Jets were about to extend for $25M.  Macc had some wind at his back for once and the Jets had chosen to have more $$$ than talent up until 2019. These are the reasons that Macc didn't get shown the door when Bowles did.

It was the day-to-day operational observations of the owner and watching Macc's interactions with those he supervised in the Scouting Dept., his interactions with the HC, etc. that lead to his dismissal.  Again, it looks to me like fact-based decision making by CJ.  Did it happen too late?  Only if you think the Jets had a bad Draft and FA period....which is a completely different discussion.  Like or not, this is Macc's roster going into 2019.

• Upvote 1

The firing ends Mike Maccagnan’s four-years-and-change run with the New York Jets that saw him bring on talents like Sam Darnold, Jamal Adams, Leonard Williams, Quinnen Williams, Darron Lee, Lorenzo Mauldin, Devin Smith, Christian Hackenberg, Bryce Petty, Nathan Shepherd, Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen, and Dylan Donahue, as well as overpay for players such as Darrelle Revis, Isaiah Crowell and Trumaine Johnson.

I'm just as shocked as Nick Mangold that it took until this week to get rid of this guy.  But, I'm glad they did it.

• Upvote 1

It sounds to me like Nick and Willie are shocked by the timing of the firing and not so much the firing. Everyone knew Mac needed to go. They're just floored at the timing.That makes sense given all the recent decisions Mac got to make.

5 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Timing shmiming, he had to go.

Dorsey and Gettleman were let go at the same time.

No one cares about the calendar month. The thing that bothers us as further dysfunction is that that we let a guy who we now admit sucks spend $100m like four weeks ago.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jgb said:

No one cares about the calendar month. The thing that bothers us as further dysfunction is that that we let a guy who we now admit sucks spend $100m like four weeks ago.

Of course, he sucked for years and should have already been fired, but he wasn't. Better late than never.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

But retaining him now just to save face and waiting until after the 2019 season to fire Macc?  THAT would be much worse.

Macc and Bowles were on the same page.  It was a bad page.  It took the hiring of Gase to show CJ that Macc wasn't running a tight ship and that Macc and his HC were not coordinated.  At that point what do you do?  Ride it for 7 months just to avoid making the front page of the papers with an "out of season" firing?

I'm not disagreeing with you.  I'm saying that getting rid of Macc late is better than getting rid of him even later.  Macc got a life line in January because he seems to have finally drafted a potential franchise QB.  He also just had a 2017 pick make the Pro Bowl.  He had traded a 6th round pick for a starting DE who the Jets were about to extend for $25M.  Macc had some wind at his back for once and the Jets had chosen to have more $$$ than talent up until 2019. These are the reasons that Macc didn't get shown the door when Bowles did.

It was the day-to-day operational observations of the owner and watching Macc's interactions with those he supervised in the Scouting Dept., his interactions with the HC, etc. that lead to his dismissal.  Again, it looks to me like fact-based decision making by CJ.  Did it happen too late?  Only if you think the Jets had a bad Draft and FA period....which is a completely different discussion.  Like or not, this is Macc's roster going into 2019.

You're saying the same thing I'm saying. Yes he should have already been fired, but he wasn't. I wanted him fired earlier, I didn't get what I wanted until later, but I'll still take it. Better late than never.

It came out of nowhere,” Mangold said. “Just as surprised as everybody else. … I love Chris Johnson. I think he’s learning as he goes. There’s no real school for owning a football team.”

This is code for The Johnsons are trust fund baby's who have no fukking clue.  

I am elated MAC is gone but the owners are dumb and dumber.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Stunned? Surprised maybe. And not unhappy about it either 

SNY interviewed Colon.  He said to them he was surprised.  By the timing.  He also said that it's NY and when your record isn't what's expected you get fired.  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

It came out of nowhere,” Mangold said. “Just as surprised as everybody else. … I love Chris Johnson. I think he’s learning as he goes. There’s no real school for owning a football team.”

This is code for The Johnsons are trust fund baby's who have no fukking clue.  

I am elated MAC is gone but the owners are dumb and dumber.

Because how you got your billions translates into being a good owner.  Oilmen, cable owners, etc, know how to run a team.

Because let's face it Macc should have been kept on for another year.  

39 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because how you got your billions translates into being a good owner.  Oilmen, cable owners, etc, know how to run a team.

Because let's face it Macc should have been kept on for another year.  

Woody has not in my view shown any real wisdom..  but I see you disagree. That's fine. But MAC?  I am totally at peace with his termination. He was clearly not the right piece. His diminution of our roster in his 4 years is unforgivable.

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Woody has not in my view shown any real wisdom..  but I see you disagree. That's fine. But MAC?  I am totally at peace with his termination. He was clearly not the right piece. His diminution of our roster in his 4 years is unforgivable.

Did I type one word about wisdom? 

Or did I just find your insistence on calling them out for having inherited their money as having anything to do with running a football team pointless?  Because that was it.  

We wanted Macc fired.  He's fired.  Move on already

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Did I type one word about wisdom? 

Or did I just find your insistence on calling them out for having inherited their money as having anything to do with running a football team pointless?  Because that was it.  

We wanted Macc fired.  He's fired.  Move on already

well..I disagree.  If you believe that there isn't a measurable difference in the acumen of a self made millionaire/billionaire and a trust fund baby, we have no basis for discussion.

I work with MANY people who came form simple backgrounds and are now worth millions.  Their road was paved with hundreds of decisions that could have derailed them. They think logically and premeditated.  Their children rarely have that same acumen. 

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

well..I disagree.  If you believe that there isn't a measurable difference in the acumen of a self made millionaire/billionaire and a trust fund baby, we have no basis for discussion.

I work with MANY people who came form simple backgrounds and are now worth millions.  Their road was paved with hundreds of decisions that could have derailed them. They think logically and premeditated.  Their children rarely have that same acumen. 

Yes because running foundations, financing and being responsible for a well respected hospital network, political endeavors etc don't provide the basis for any level of business acumen.  You make it sound like a couple of playboys who have done absolutely nothing all their lives, accomplished nothing own the team.  

We wou,d be much better off with someone who owned and sold a tech corp for crazy dollars.  That's the proving ground for running a team.  Owners like Snyder, Dolan, Wilpon, Jones, guarantee a well run, winning org.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes because running foundations, financing and being responsible for a well respected hospital network, political endeavors etc don't provide the basis for any level of business acumen.  You make it sound like a couple of playboys who have done absolutely nothing all their lives, accomplished nothing own the team.  

We wou,d be much better off with someone who owned and sold a tech corp for crazy dollars.  That's the proving ground for running a team.  Owners like Snyder, Dolan, Wilpon, Jones, guarantee a well run, winning org.

Comparing the Johnsons to the absolute worst owners is appropriate.  They have done, in my opinion, nothing that warrants my respect.  They have yours, I salute you.

24 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Comparing the Johnsons to the absolute worst owners is appropriate.  They have done, in my opinion, nothing that warrants my respect.  They have yours, I salute you.

You really are confusing the issue

Have gone from a simple point, that the fact that they inherited their money has nothing to do with their ability to run a team.

No one came close to talking about their rankings as owners.  Though other than CJ should have fired Macc earlier I'm not seeing where you should find a lot to disagree with the way CJ is running things.  

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Yeah. I mean honestly WTF are we left with now that this idiot is gone? A team pretty much completely devoid of talent. Besides the FA acquisitions Mac made WTF else is there? A few nice players that fell in his lap and supreme GARBAGE otherwise. As Jets fans this a$$hole has left a frickin mess in his wake and we're left holding the bag. 

• Upvote 1