Now with an agenda or not we can all agree why Gase

Was hated by the Fins players. I hope I’m wrong but the only positive that could come out of this circus is that know nothing Macc is gone.  And to think we could had ended with McCarthy to make this franchise respectable once again.  We need LBell to be a psychopath forget about everything and play like nothing happened.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets with coaches like Rex Ryan and Todd Bowles, and QBs like Geno Smith, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh McCown have gotten to just as many Super Bowls as Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers over the past 8 years.

But yeah, give me the dinosaur who uses the same playbook he had in his 2010 season and let him develop our QB.

Not a fan of the Gase hiring but McCarthy was the worst candidate.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

9 hours ago, The Crusher said:

When you read about the way Macc conducted his pre draft and draft, freezing out the man who would have to coach the players and favoring SCOUTS, you know why Gase got his back up and protected his future.  Hate him or love him, he did the necessary thing

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, jack48 said:

When you read about the way Macc conducted his pre draft and draft, freezing out the man who would have to coach the players and favoring SCOUTS, you know why Gase got his back up and protected his future.  Hate him or love him, he did the necessary thing

Agreed. I’m waitimg to see half a season of football and see what Sam looks like before I decide to like or hate Gates. I’m totally cool with  hating me till them because I know it’s his thing and uhhh, seems he pretty much hates everybody cept one  Peyton Manning. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, DRJETS said:

Was hated by the Fins players. I hope I’m wrong but the only positive that could come out of this circus is that know nothing Macc is gone.  And to think we could had ended with McCarthy to make this franchise respectable once again.  We need LBell to be a psychopath forget about everything and play like nothing happened.

You think the Fins players hated Gase?  A couple did, that's. It the Fins players.  And what happened in Miami that's similar to Macc getting fired, as he should have? 

Lol, because everyone on GB loved McCarthy.  Or winning depends on everyone loving a HC.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

How many  did Gase make the past three years?

When did Gase become such a spectacular talent and mind in Jets Fans eyes?  Was it just AFTER we hired him?  I think there is a word for that kind of flippy-floppity thing....

More, aside from a couple years with the greatest QB who ever lived not named Brady, what exactly has Gase done to warrant such unbridled faith at this point? 

The answer to the bold is absolutely nothing, and we shouldn't have unbridled faith that he is a great coach.

What we should see is:

1.  While he had a losing record at his previous stop, he was forced to play with Ryan Tannehnill, Jay Cutler and Matt Moore at QB.  If you gave Todd Bowles the miami roster for 3 years he would have won 6-8 games total.

2.  He closed with the front office there because of his personality AND because of their incompetence.  

3.  He is at minimum a competent offensive technician and hard worker who demands accountability from the players.

Teams hire  guys with perfect resumes who dont work out.  They run a perfect interview process and get "their guy" only to see him fired after 3 losing seasons.  Sometimes you get lucky and even though the process was botched and maybe Gase wasn't the first choice, he winds up being the best coach from the choices.  Lets hope we got lucky and he is the smart coach who was the top coach on the market 3 years ago.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

Let’s sit back and enjoy this upcoming chapter in Jet football!!
New HC up and coming QB who looks like he is what we have been waiting for forever... MAC is gone. Forget timing. It’s what most Jet fans wanted.. got new unis. And what on the surface looks like a no nonsense kind of coach. It’s time to change our culture.. the way Big Bill did 2 decades ago. Best of all for me is that I have HOPE!!!! As a Jet fan. Aside from obviously winning. That is very important!!’

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Agreed. I’m waitimg to see half a season of football and see what Sam looks like before I decide to like or hate Gates. I’m totally cool with  hating me till them because I know it’s his thing and uhhh, seems he pretty much hates everybody cept one  Peyton Manning. 

It is all about Sam.  I expect big things from him.  Gase likes Joe Douglas

• Upvote 2

Or maybe he holds the players accountable and doesn't let them get away with nonsense stuff.  That could be a reason why.  If anything, with the NY media we will find out soon enough how the Jets players take to "Crazy Eyes Killa".

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Just want to see who we hire to work with him as GM.  Right now we are as close to the lunatics running the asylum as we can get.

The real problem is Johnson's total incoherence on the subject of football.  And the fact that the Jets have so few football minds embedded in their organization that they had to go to non football consultants to come up with trash like Idzik, Macc and Blowes

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, jack48 said:

The real problem is Johnson's total incoherence on the subject of football.  And the fact that the Jets have so few football minds embedded in their organization that they had to go to non football consultants to come up with trash like Idzik, Macc and Blowes

It not just that he doesnt understand football, the concern is that like his brother, he doesnt know how to run any business at all.

If I was suddenly in charge of a multi-billion dollar business in an industry that I had no experience in, the first thing I would do is hire someone to lead the company with me who has a ton of experience and success in the industry.  I wouldn't sit around working 2/3 days a week, "watching" the organization by myself as the company basically floundered.  

CJ has an unlimited budget.  His family paid $800 million for a team/company that is now worth over $2 billion.  I think he could afford a $1 million annual salary for someone to help him guide the organization, rather then do what he is doing now

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, DRJETS said:

And to think we could had ended with McCarthy to make this franchise respectable once again.  We need LBell to be a psychopath forget about everything and play like nothing happened

What he's trying to say is, we could have had Mike McCarthy for head coach, and we're going to need Le'Veon Bell to tune out all the noise in the media and return to being the NFL's top dual threat running back. 

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Not a fan of the Gase hiring but McCarthy was the worst candidate.

This. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

When did Gase become such a spectacular talent and mind in Jets Fans eyes?  Was it just AFTER we hired him?  I think there is a word for that kind of flippy-floppity thing....

More, aside from a couple years with the greatest QB who ever lived not named Brady, what exactly has Gase done to warrant such unbridled faith at this point? 

I don’t have unbridled faith in Gase but I’d rather give him a shot than keep Macc or try Mike McCarthy. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, jack48 said:

what was mac's excuse for having sucky drafts before gase?  the spin on this whole scene is a little amazing.  mac needed to be gone.  you can argue about the timing but not the action.  and the gm has to work with the coach.  as a matter of fact if mac was concerned for his job he would've given gase exactly what he wanted.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

I don't think you can point to too many people here referring to him as a "spectacular talent." And really, a name for what? Fans who want to be optimistic about their favorite god-forsaken team? I don't see the point of even bothering to be a fan if you're gonna be defeatist about the upcoming season before Memorial Day. 

Adam Gase is the Jets head coach, for better or worse. I root for the Jets, so I'm rooting for him to succeed. The man certainly has flaws, and they may be fatal, but he's also a very well regarded, young, offensive mind for a reason. 

Given the current situation, I wouldn't hesitate to go all-in with Gase. Not because he deserves it, but because that's the fastest, most effective way to determine whether they should stick with him or not. The Jets have had way too many forced marriages over recent years that just don't work, Rex & Schotty, Rex & Idzik, Mac & Bowles, Gase & Mac & probably Williams, too. Hindsight? Best plan would've been to hire a GM who hired a head coach, but that didn't happen. If bringing in Peyton Manning as overseer makes Gase happy, do it. If Joe Douglas is his #1 choice for GM, do everything you can ($$$) to make that happen. Build the organization in the vision of his crazy eyes and if he can't get it done in such an environment, then you have a pretty good idea that he can't get it done. 

But I'll be in the guy's corner until he demonstrates he sucks here, because I prefer that to bitching and moaning. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

7 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't think you can point to too many people here referring to him as a "spectacular talent." And really, a name for what? Fans who want to be optimistic about their favorite god-forsaken team? I don't see the point of even bothering to be a fan if you're gonna be defeatist about the upcoming season before Memorial Day. 

Adam Gase is the Jets head coach, for better or worse. I root for the Jets, so I'm rooting for him to succeed. The man certainly has flaws, and they may be fatal, but he's also a very well regarded, young, offensive mind for a reason. 

Given the current situation, I wouldn't hesitate to go all-in with Gase. Not because he deserves it, but because that's the fastest, most effective way to determine whether they should stick with him or not. The Jets have had way too many forced marriages over recent years that just don't work, Rex & Schotty, Rex & Idzik, Mac & Bowles, Gase & Mac & probably Williams, too. Hindsight? Best plan would've been to hire a GM who hired a head coach, but that didn't happen. If bringing in Peyton Manning as overseer makes Gase happy, do it. If Joe Douglas is his #1 choice for GM, do everything you can ($$$) to make that happen. Build the organization in the vision of his crazy eyes and if he can't get it done in such an environment, then you have a pretty good idea that he can't get it done. 

But I'll be in the guy's corner until he demonstrates he sucks here, because I prefer that to bitching and moaning. 

Sure. Benefit of the doubt. Even BB failed before he achieved true success

Who whoa whoa how many of these Fins players "hated" Gase and who were they?

Was it one or three loudmouth  jerkoffs who didn't buy in?  And he got rid of?

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20181231/player-reactions-vary-after-adam-gase-fired-by-dolphins

Or was it 80% of the roster because I've heard plenty of ex-Gase players say they liked playing for Gase.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article187665443.html

Life isn't fun when you're losing.

But all of that is water under the bridge because the ONLY player that matters seems to love Gase.

Sam Darnold.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/sam-darnold-on-new-jets-coach-adam-gase-players-love-him/306064196

• Sympathy 1

I'm still feeling optimistic about Gase as HC mentoring Darnold.  That Gase has what Peyton Manning experienced working with him. A very good offensive mind and is a good coach of QB's.

Maybe he's a Jim Harbaugh type HC...high strung and difficult...but also very talented and capable.  Harbaugh got the 49ers to 2 NFCCG's.  And in one of them landed them into the Supe against Ravens and his bro John.

There's 4 years left on Darnold's rookie contract. So like Harbaugh...Gase has time to get Jets to a Supe before he may possibly flame out here in JetsLand.

Of most importance with the Jets is to provide Darnold with some stability.  You don't want to give him right away another HC-OC and playbook.  The worst is for Gase to get canned after just only 1-2 years here.  

So...as far as Gase goes...the die has been cast...and the Rubicon has been crossed.  Give Gase what he wants...someone whose on the same page he's on... and can confidently work with. 

Again...Sam Darnold needs stability and development.  And Gase should be able to provide that.  Then give Darnold some tools...and he will string out playoff appearances...and in one of them...land Jets in the Supe.  He'll make everyone look like a genius. IMO...Darnold's that good.

Can't wait for the season to start. Let the games and the W-L, finally create some real drama around here in JetsLand.     

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I don't think you can point to too many people here referring to him as a "spectacular talent."

Do a search for various forms of words like "offensive genius".  You sure can find it if you choose to look.

And really, a name for what?

Success?  Something factual to support an considered thought-out opinion?  

Fans who want to be optimistic about their favorite god-forsaken team?

If someones optimism is destroyed by someone else posting facts on the internet, they didn't have much optimism to start with.

I don't see the point of even bothering to be a fan if you're gonna be defeatist about the upcoming season before Memorial Day.

The point of being a fan?  Is that a serious question?  The point is to enjoy watching your team, preferably win, preferably titles.  

With that said, most normal human beings can hold two separate things in their head at once without too much trouble.  I.e. you can "be a fan" and hope for the best, while also engaging in discussion of facts, pros, cons, etc.

This line reeks of the same old, same old "I'm the best fan because I support everything the team does (till they fire that person and then I support that too!" schtick.  

Adam Gase is the Jets head coach, for better or worse. I root for the Jets, so I'm rooting for him to succeed.

Which doesn't make you special or different in any way.  We are all doing exactly that, same as you.  I've posted nearly the exact same words repeatedly this offseason.  We're not debating rooting on game day here, we all root and bleed Jets green on game day.

The man certainly has flaws, and they may be fatal, but he's also a very well regarded, young, offensive mind for a reason.

But apparently discussion of that is verboten, for fear we may hurt someone's optimism, or get attacked by a mod as a bad fan, right?

Given the current situation, I wouldn't hesitate to go all-in with Gase.

Do we have a choice?  It's not up to us.  The only "power" we have is rational discourse.

Not because he deserves it, but because that's the fastest, most effective way to determine whether they should stick with him or not.

Are you saying he doesn't deserve fans unrequited optimism?  

The Jets have had way too many forced marriages over recent years that just don't work, Rex & Schotty, Rex & Idzik, Mac & Bowles, Gase & Mac & probably Williams, too. Hindsight? Best plan would've been to hire a GM who hired a head coach, but that didn't happen. If bringing in Peyton Manning as overseer makes Gase happy, do it. If Joe Douglas is his #1 choice for GM, do everything you can ($$$) to make that happen. Build the organization in the vision of his crazy eyes and if he can't get it done in such an environment, then you have a pretty good idea that he can't get it done.

I will respectfully disagree that our best move is to double down on Gase, and hire him a rubber stamp GM who will do what he wants.  I want a GM who knows what he is doing first (i.e. not Manning), has experience (alos not Manning), isn;t a hated rival (yup, not Manning) and would be willing to fire Gase the day he arrives if circumstances warranted, and is in no way beholden to Gase (is that Douglas?  He's very well regarded, thats certainly true).

You do understand that "being in his corner" means nothing, right?  I mean in all seriousness, you understand on an intellectual level that what we say here on JN has zero effect on anything whatseover.  You could preverbially suck his dick here, it won;t win any more games for Gase, and I could loathe him and curse his name to Slaggoth, Mad God of the insane outer realms, all day long....and yep, it wouldn't mean or change anything.

I'm not "in his corner".  I'm in the Jets and lifelong Jets Fans corner.  Ownership could use being alot more like me.  My respect for individuals is earned, not given before he's coached a single down.  And nothing he's done to-date warrants being in his corner as yet. 

If anything, that seems to be what makes me different from so many of you, and so disliked by some.  The day anyone becomes a Jet, some of you love them unquestionably, like a family member.  I don't.  I evaluate their past to the best of my ability, I want to discuss facts about their record to-date, and have intellectually stimulating debates with like minded rational people over them, their potential future, etc.  I don't want to be like Pats Fan forums and just blow these guys endlessly (or be banned) as if that helped them in some way.  What's the point of a forum if we'll going to +1 so shallow positive pablum over and over?  

16 hours ago, DRJETS said:

DRJETS, We had to choose between the lesser of 2 evils. MacCarthy getting massage therapy and letting all the assistant coaches do his ob, or Gase. The college scene had nobody as well. If Gase doesn't work out then maybe at that point there will be more availability of better candidates. 

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Do a search for various forms of words like "offensive genius".  You sure can find it if you choose to look.

Success?  Something factual to support an considered thought-out opinion?  

If someones optimism is destroyed by someone else posting facts on the internet, they didn't have much optimism to start with.

The point of being a fan?  Is that a serious question?  The point is to enjoy watching your team, preferably win, preferably titles.  

With that said, most normal human beings can hold two separate things in their head at once without too much trouble.  I.e. you can "be a fan" and hope for the best, while also engaging in discussion of facts, pros, cons, etc.

This line reeks of the same old, same old "I'm the best fan because I support everything the team does (till they fire that person and then I support that too!" schtick.  

Which doesn't make you special or different in any way.  We are all doing exactly that, same as you.  I've posted nearly the exact same words repeatedly this offseason.  We're not debating rooting on game day here, we all root and bleed Jets green on game day.

But apparently discussion of that is verboten, for fear we may hurt someone's optimism, or get attacked by a mod as a bad fan, right?

Do we have a choice?  It's not up to us.  The only "power" we have is rational discourse.

Are you saying he doesn't deserve fans unrequited optimism?  

I will respectfully disagree that our best move is to double down on Gase, and hire him a rubber stamp GM who will do what he wants.  I want a GM who knows what he is doing first (i.e. not Manning), has experience (alos not Manning), isn;t a hated rival (yup, not Manning) and would be willing to fire Gase the day he arrives if circumstances warranted, and is in no way beholden to Gase (is that Douglas?  He's very well regarded, thats certainly true).

You do understand that "being in his corner" means nothing, right?  I mean in all seriousness, you understand on an intellectual level that what we say here on JN has zero effect on anything whatseover.  You could preverbially suck his dick here, it won;t win any more games for Gase, and I could loathe him and curse his name to Slaggoth, Mad God of the insane outer realms, all day long....and yep, it wouldn't mean or change anything.

I'm not "in his corner".  I'm in the Jets and lifelong Jets Fans corner.  Ownership could use being alot more like me.  My respect for individuals is earned, not given before he's coached a single down.  And nothing he's done to-date warrants being in his corner as yet. 

If anything, that seems to be what makes me different from so many of you, and so disliked by some.  The day anyone becomes a Jet, some of you love them unquestionably, like a family member.  I don't.  I evaluate their past to the best of my ability, I want to discuss facts about their record to-date, and have intellectually stimulating debates with like minded rational people over them, their potential future, etc.  I don't want to be like Pats Fan forums and just blow these guys endlessly (or be banned) as if that helped them in some way.  What's the point of a forum if we'll going to +1 so shallow positive pablum over and over?  

Wow, that's a lot of words. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ignoring the rest of the post, which was your standard brand of line-by-line contrarianism, I would counter here that the Jets have already doubled-down on Gase by firing Maccagnan and at this time the right thing to do is to build around him as best they can. 

The Jets aren't changing their dopey equal footing structure, so the GM won't be able to come in and fire Gase. That's not happening. So let's discuss this within the world in which we live. If they're going to pry a guy like Joe Douglas loose, they will have to give him power over the 53 man roster (something Mac didn't have), and that's a lot of power. He, in particular, does not seem like a rubber stamp. I'm not advocating for a rubber stamp, that's useless. Might as well just keep Gase as the GM if that's what you're gonna do. But having a GM who shares a similar team building philosophy as the head coach and is looking to work with that head coach to build the best possible team they can in their shared vision would be a huge upgrade over having the personnel side of the organization operating in a vacuum that doesn't take the coach's needs/wants/desires into consideration. 

Hedging their bets with a separate but equal GM not on the same page as Gase is a recipe for disaster. Gase has already demonstrated how that would work - not well. Best possible chance to succeed is to have the HC and GM wanting to be a partnership (an existing personal relationship does not hurt here) and work together with a healthy give and take. 

I wouldn't hire Manning as GM. I stated that pretty clearly. But as an adviser and mediator between the HC and GM, and a guy who can come to Chris Johnson with some conclusions rather than having Chris try to come up with some on his own? That can only be a plus. 

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, slats said:

Given the current situation, I wouldn't hesitate to go all-in with Gase. Not because he deserves it, but because that's the fastest, most effective way to determine whether they should stick with him or not. The Jets have had way too many forced marriages over recent years that just don't work, Rex & Schotty, Rex & Idzik, Mac & Bowles, Gase & Mac & probably Williams, too. Hindsight? Best plan would've been to hire a GM who hired a head coach, but that didn't happen. If bringing in Peyton Manning as overseer makes Gase happy, do it. If Joe Douglas is his #1 choice for GM, do everything you can ($$$) to make that happen. Build the organization in the vision of his crazy eyes and if he can't get it done in such an environment, then you have a pretty good idea that he can't get it done. 

Ignoring the rest of the post, which was your standard brand of line-by-line contrarianism, I would counter here that the Jets have already doubled-down on Gase by firing Maccagnan and at this time the right thing to do is to build around him as best they can. 

The Jets aren't changing their dopey equal footing structure, so the GM won't be able to come in and fire Gase. That's not happening. So let's discuss this within the world in which we live. If they're going to pry a guy like Joe Douglas loose, they will have to give him power over the 53 man roster (something Mac didn't have), and that's a lot of power. He, in particular, does not seem like a rubber stamp. I'm not advocating for a rubber stamp, that's useless. Might as well just keep Gase as the GM if that's what you're gonna do. But having a GM who shares a similar team building philosophy as the head coach and is looking to work with that head coach to build the best possible team they can in their shared vision would be a huge upgrade over having the personnel side of the organization operating in a vacuum that doesn't take the coach's needs/wants/desires into consideration. 

Hedging their bets with a separate but equal GM not on the same page as Gase is a recipe for disaster. Gase has already demonstrated how that would work - not well. Best possible chance to succeed is to have the HC and GM wanting to be a partnership (an existing personal relationship does not hurt here) and work together with a healthy give and take. 

I wouldn't hire Manning as GM. I stated that pretty clearly. But as an adviser and mediator between the HC and GM, and a guy who can come to Chris Johnson with some conclusions rather than having Chris try to come up with some on his own? That can only be a plus. 

Wow, that's a lot of words.