Rumor: Peyton Manning To The Jets?

gettyimages-459468754-e1558143769111.jpg
Getty Images

Jets CEO and chairman Christopher Johnson wants a “great strategic thinker” to run the football operation. He needs someone who can work with coach Adam Gase. And at the intersection possibly resides one and only one name.

Peyton Manning.

Rumors are flying within league circles that the Jets may make a run at the future Hall of Fame quarterback who has periodically been linked to NFL management possibilities. And Gase, who worked with Manning in Denver, possibly would be one of the few guys who could draw Manning back into football.

Manning wouldn’t be a traditional G.M., but Johnson has made it clear that he’s not looking for a traditional G.M.

“It’s more than a talent-evaluation guy,” Johnson said Wednesday. “I want a great manager, a communicator, who can collaborate well with the building. I’m convinced we’re going to find that person.”

Manning definitely would be that person. But it’s unknown whether Manning would be interested in being that person. If he is, it would fulfill a match more than 20 years in the making; in 1997, Manning supposedly would have left Tennessee early if he had an assurance that the Jets would make him the first overall pick in the draft.

Getting Manning also would go a long way toward removing the current stink of dysfunction enveloping the Jets, even if that stink is more than a little overblown.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

This would be incredible. May even get me to believe in the Johnson brothers again 

23 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

Could we really be this lucky? For once?

What the hell are you talking about? Peyton Manning has avoided this franchise like the plague his entire career. Just because he’s the only person on the planet that the media is convince Gase doesn’t hate has nothing too do with him coming here. He’s too busy making money in commercials. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Dude he’s never scouted or had FO experience in his life. I understand who he is but that doesn’t mean he’ll make a great talent evaluator or GM for that matter. Now I’d love to have him in our building in SOME kind of role if he’d accept that. 

But hell no to GM.

Hey, at least he wouldn't de-value the offensive line like the last bum... what was his name again?

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

What the hell are you talking about? Peyton Manning has avoided this franchise like the plague his entire career. Just because he’s the only person on the planet that the media is convince Gase doesn’t hate has nothing too do with him coming here. He’s to busy making money in commercials. 

Remember when he was leaving the Colts and he wouldn’t even take a call from the Jets and Woody had to say the Jets “were never interested” and they had to give Mark Sanchez a cool $50 mil extension to make it up to him? 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1