Rumor: Peyton Manning To The Jets?

I fully expect the Johnson’s to pursue Peyton....it fits everything they believe in as owners....it would be a splashy move, and add a name to give them instant credibility after taking a brutal hit in the court of public opinion(something they’ve proven to care very much about) and they will own the back pages of NY news through training camp...

If this does end up coming to fruition..hopefully this time We hire a sports legend that’s actually good at the job and not another Phil Jackson situation...

Jets Rumors: Peyton Manning Targeted by NY for Front-Office Position

TIM DANIELSMAY 18, 2019

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning as former Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne is inducted during a Colts Ring of Honor ceremony during the halftime of an NFL football game between the Indianapolis Colts and the Tennessee Titans, Sunday, Nov. 18, 2018, in Indianapolis. (AP Photo/AJ Mast)
AJ MAST/Associated Press

The New York Jets are reportedly targeting legendary NFL quarterback Peyton Manning to fill a key front-office role within the organization.

On Friday, Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reported "rumors are flying within league circles" that the Jets are going to make a run at Manning. Current Jets head coach Adam Gase served as quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator during the retired QB's time with the Denver Broncos.

The 43-year-old New Orleans native has been linked to several NFL-related jobs since retiring from on-field competition in March 2016.

Most recently, the two-time Super Bowl champion was mentioned as a potential replacement for Jason Witten—who ended a one-year retirement to rejoin the Dallas Cowboys in February—on ESPN's Monday Night Football telecasts.

Michael McCarthy of Sporting News reported last month ESPN executives sensed Manning's "ambivalence" about the MNF job and never made a formal contract offer after speaking with him for a second straight offseason. He was also viewed as a candidate to replace Jon Gruden in 2018.

While McCarthy noted the University of Tennessee product signed on with ESPN to create Peyton's Places, a 30-episode look at the NFL's history, it remains unclear whether he's interested in a full-time job.

"There's no doubt it's been a transition," Manning said about retirement in April 2017, per Zak Keefer of the Indy Star. "It's been welcomed and something I've really enjoyed."

Meanwhile, the Jets are in a period of transition after firing general manager Mike Maccagnan on Wednesday and moving Gase into the interim GM role in addition to his head coaching duties.

It was a stunning decision since New York allowed Maccagnan to handle all of the key offseason moves, highlighted by the draft and signing free-agent running back Le'Veon Bell.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reported Gase "absolutely did not want to sign" Bell or any other running back to a big-money contract, which caused a rift to develop with Maccagnan.

Whether Manning has any interest in joining an organization in such turmoil that's coming off eight straight playoff-less seasons is unclear.

So the jets weren’t good enough for him to play for but they’re good enough for him to be in charge of? Let’s not forget he pulled his own 2004 Eli back in the day

This will be Elway in Denver all over again

• Post of the Week 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/17/rumors-fly-of-the-jets-pursuing-peyton-manning/

Jets CEO and chairman Christopher Johnson wants a “great strategic thinker” to run the football operation. He needs someone who can work with coach Adam Gase. And at the intersection possibly resides one and only one name.

Peyton Manning.

Rumors are flying within league circles that the Jets may make a run at the future Hall of Fame quarterback who has periodically been linked to NFL management possibilities. And Gase, who worked with Manning in Denver, possibly would be one of the few guys who could draw Manning back into football.

Manning wouldn’t be a traditional G.M., but Johnson has made it clear that he’s not looking for a traditional G.M.

“It’s more than a talent-evaluation guy,” Johnson said Wednesday. “I want a great manager, a communicator, who can collaborate well with the building. I’m convinced we’re going to find that person.”

Manning definitely would be that person. But it’s unknown whether Manning would be interested in being that person. If he is, it would fulfill a match more than 20 years in the making; in 1997, Manning supposedly would have left Tennessee early if he had an assurance that the Jets would make him the first overall pick in the draft.

Getting Manning also would go a long way toward removing the current stink of dysfunction enveloping the Jets, even if that stink is more than a little overblown.

14 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Dude he’s never scouted or had FO experience in his life. I understand who he is but that doesn’t mean he’ll make a great talent evaluator or GM for that matter. Now I’d love to have him in our building in SOME kind of role if he’d accept that. 

But hell no to GM.

Yeah the colts during and post Peyton are really all I need in response to that. 

My guess is that Peyton Manning would have some opinions about the importance of drafting Offensive Linemen.  So there's that.

I have zero idea about how good or bad Peyton would be as a GM, but I do look forward to the creativity we'll see here with threads like "PMS" (Peyton Manning Sucks) and, "Why is Peyton Womanning this offseason?"

If the Raiders are giving Mayock a chance from TV then it would be hard to argue with the hiring of a true football guy like Peyton Manning.  But make no mistake, this would be a rookie GM who will make mistakes and who we have no idea about how he'd run an organization of scouts and front office suits.

Also, he hates the Patriots with a passion, so that would be fun.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

This is ridiculous ... No matter who you hire they are coming from another NFL franchise

Old school folks would never want hated rivals on their team. This soft attitude to rivals is just another sh*tty result of the fantasy football free agency era. No one cares, sign Brady, hire Bellichek, Marino for GM, SURE! Sorry, not me. **** Peyton Manning.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

I'd welcome Manning in a COO type role where the GM and HC report to him rather than to Chris Johnson. I don't want him as a traditional GM, though. But as the owner's right hand man, explaining the NFL to him in bite-sized morsels, that could work. You know the Johnson's have to love the idea of such a high-profile guy joining the organization, too. Whatever your opinion of Peyton, he'd bring credibility. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Peyton Manning doesn't want or need to be spending all his time at Florham Park as GM of the New York Jets. He doesn't need the money or commitment or headache. Simple as That!

He doesn’t 

But Elway didn’t need to take the Broncos job. Lynch didn’t need to take the 49ers job.

Pretty much everyone will tell you that Peyton Manning is one of those “football lifers” who finds it difficult to sever ties with the game.

He eats, sleeps, drinks and pisses football. 

I don’t think it’s that outlandish. People around the league have had Peyton pegged for a coaching or front office job ever since he announced his retirement.

Now, do I think he’ll ultimately come to the Jets? No

But I wouldn’t be against it

• Sympathy 1

Why not Manning?
What makes anyone think any one of these other knuckleheads we would hire would be any better?
At least it'll add some legitimacy to the organization.
Because there are rumors it would be for the gm position and he has no experience in a role which is not hall of fame quarterback? If the role were quarterback coach that would be different

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

Because there are rumors it would be for the gm position and he has no experience in a role which is not hall of fame quarterback? If the role were quarterback coach that would be different

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Player GMs are a mixed bag. You have Newsome and then you have Lynch and Elway who are sort of in the middle

It’s also worth noting that when Peyton turned down a team like the Browns, they were a complete f*cking dumpster fire with no hope in sight. Who the hell was their QB at the time? Cody Kessler? Kevin Hogan?

They had literally jack and sh*t to work with and jack had already left town.

With the Jets, he’d be walking into a situation where he already has a tremendously talented QB who doesn’t even turn 22 until next month. He’d have a star RB who still has at least 2-3 elite level seasons left in the tank. A solid, albeit unspectacular WR corps and a promising young TE. He’ll have a defense that boasts at least one stud, pro-bowl caliber player at every level. And we already hired a coach that he has a lot of respect for, previous experience working with and was strongly recommending to teams around the league.

Not exactly a terrible situation 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Peyton Manning doesn't want or need to be spending all his time at Florham Park as GM of the New York Jets. He doesn't need the money or commitment or headache. Simple as That!

Have you spoke to Peyton’s Manning? Do you know what he’s thinking and what are his interests? Probably not. 

That is your opinion. 

36 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He doesn’t 

But Elway didn’t need to take the Broncos job. Lynch didn’t need to take the 49ers job.

Pretty much everyone will tell you that Peyton Manning is one of those “football lifers” who finds it difficult to sever ties with the game.

He eats, sleeps, drinks and pisses football. 

I don’t think it’s that outlandish. People around the league have had Peyton pegged for a coaching or front office job ever since he announced his retirement.

Now, do I think he’ll ultimately come to the Jets? No

But I wouldn’t be against it

If so then why hasn't he joined a front office yet?  Or even taken a job as an announcer?  He would've been handed a front-office job and would've been begged by a network to have him announce.

18 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

It’s also worth noting that when Peyton turned down a team like the Browns, they were a complete f*cking dumpster fire with no hope in sight. Who the hell was their QB at the time? Cody Kessler? Kevin Hogan?

They had literally jack and sh*t to work with and jack had already left town.

With the Jets, he’d be walking into a situation where he already has a tremendously talented QB who doesn’t even turn 22 until next month. He’d have a star RB who still has at least 2-3 elite level seasons left in the tank. A solid, albeit unspectacular WR corps and a promising young TE. He’ll have a defense that boasts at least one stud, pro-bowl caliber player at every level. And we already hired a coach that he has a lot of respect for, previous experience working with and was strongly recommending to teams around the league.

Not exactly a terrible situation 

He'll have the QB in place and a very promising defense.  But the rest of our offense is question marks.

19 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If so then why hasn't he joined a front office yet?  Or even taken a job as an announcer?  He would've been handed a front-office job and would've been begged by a network to have him announce.

Because maybe he hasn’t liked the presented situations so far?

The only team I know of that made a strong push for Peyton as GM was the Browns before they hired Dorsey. And there’s literally never been a worse situation in the NFL than that.

As for your other point, maybe he doesn’t give a flying rats a$$hole about being a commentator? Maybe he wants to construct his own team and orchestrate the daily football operations, not being stuck in a booth every week with some dickbag like Chris Collinsworth or Jim Nantz.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

With his amazing resume of success as an NFL Front Office Executive?

Admit it, you just like his Nationwide commercials.  

He's a smart football guy. Man was basically his own offensive coordinator. As I said, I wouldn't put him in the GM seat, but as a buffer between the GM/HC and the inept owners? Yeah, that would be a nice fit. An extra, intelligent, POV in the house. 

And I'm not really concerned about the fact they he played ball on a team the Jets beat in SBIII or left the division in 2002. That has nothing to do with anything.