Rumor: Peyton Manning To The Jets?

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sounds like you're for it, despite your misgivings as to his experience in a front office.

I am not in favor of Peyton Manning as GM, which I've stated many times. In fact, I did it again in the post you quoted. But by all means, carry on. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Years ago the NY Jets worshiped Bill Parcells who came here after stints with the NY Giants and NE Patriots. 

So why not Peyton Manning. 

To be fair, I was confident the Jets would be good (and well run) when we got Parcells.  Peyton is still a complete wildcard.  Though I highly doubt he'll take the job anyway.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

To be fair, I was confident the Jets would be good (and well run) when we got Parcells.  Peyton is still a complete wildcard.  Though I highly doubt he'll take the job anyway.

Any GM is a wildcard at this point. 

It is known the Mannings want to own an NFL team this could be their foot in the door to acquire the NY Jets. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Years ago the NY Jets worshiped Bill Parcells who came here after stints with the NY Giants and NE Patriots. 

So why not Peyton Manning. 

Bill Parcells was a Super Bowl winning coach being brought in to coach. Bringing Peyton Manning as a Super Bowl winning QB to be GM is very far from being the same thing, or even remotely comparable. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

Bill Parcells was a Super Bowl winning coach being brought in to coach. Bringing Peyton Manning as a Super Bowl winning QB to be GM is very far from being the same thing, or even remotely comparable. 

GM's have to start somewhere Super Bowl winning GM's don't grow on trees. 

The longer this goes on the more the circus continues. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Any GM is a wildcard at this point. 

It is known the Mannings want to own an NFL team this could be their foot in the door to acquire the NY Jets. 

Wait this could possibly mean the Johnsons eventually might not own the jets?7BF4DA1B-7C12-425C-9018-F2DC9B254647.jpeg.23a6a5af9b322c8e4b789fb1655377c1.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, slats said:

I am not in favor of Peyton Manning as GM, which I've stated many times. In fact, I did it again in the post you quoted. But by all means, carry on. 

When you post this:

His personal relationship with Gase would serve the organization well with Peyton being a buffer between Gase and the owner. In that position, he'd serve as a mediator between HC, GM, and owner, as well as just being a smart, NFL veteran who everyone in the building could bounce ideas off of. Jets would get a high-profile face of the front office, Peyton gets a paycheck and valuable front office experience. Potential win-win.

It sounds to me like you're for it, despite your denials.

Or to put it in language you're sure to understand, thats alot of positive words to say "not for it".

But whatever, this sctick of yours is incredibly tiring.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

When you post this:

It sounds to me like you're for it, despite your denials.

Or to put it in language you're sure to understand, thats alot of positive words to say "not for it".

But whatever, this sctick of yours is incredibly tiring.

That misspelled last line exhibits quite the amount of balls. You're the one with the tired shtick. I'm clear. I'd be in favor of Manning in a front office buffer/consultant position where he's getting paid largely to bring his name and credibility to this second tier organization, and also help keep Adam Gase from alienating everyone. I do not believe he brings the experience to step in as a traditional GM. My strong preference there is for a guy who's worked his way thru the ranks and is already performing many of those functions at the NFL level. 

Also said I don't believe he'd accept any position here. 

Can't be much clearer, but fish have to fish, I guess. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, slats said:

That misspelled last line exhibits quite the amount of balls. You're the one with the tired shtick. I'm clear. I'd be in favor of Manning in a front office buffer/consultant position where he's getting paid largely to bring his name and credibility to this second tier organization, and also help keep Adam Gase from alienating everyone. I do not believe he brings the experience to step in as a traditional GM. My strong preference there is for a guy who's worked his way thru the ranks and is already performing many of those functions at the NFL level. 

Also said I don't believe he'd accept any position here. 

Can't be much clearer, but fish have to fish, I guess. 

I'm not in favor of having to widen all the doors at Florham Park to accommodate his gigantic head but if it keeps the Jets from doing whatever they think would be better I'd let him phone in play calls and sell advertising space on the helmets. Does this mean I'm for it or against it?

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I'm not in favor of having to widen all the doors at Florham Park to accommodate his gigantic head but if it keeps the Jets from doing whatever they think would be better I'd let him phone in play calls and sell advertising space on the helmets. Does this mean I'm for it or against it?

You'll have to ask @Warfish. He's the expert at reading outside the lines. 

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My arch nemesis is your great-granddaughter for deciding it would be fun to give pop-pop her Kindle so he’d have something to do in between electro-shock treatments 

Great granddaughter lol get a clue too much crack in the peeps it seems. 

Crackhead duly noted. 

Says the guy who idolizes.

Image result for pee wee herman mug shot

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Peyton Manning is closer to an Isaiah Thomas than he is to a credible GM candidate in my opinion.  Someone who has name recognition and absolutely ZERO reason to think that he knows anything whatsoever about running a team.

• Upvote 1

I just can't see a guy with his perfect life being willing to put in those 16 hour days.  Plus, he has no background in evaluating talent, other than being around it.  The obvious parallel is Elway who, if it wasn't for the ultimate free agent signing of Manning, hasn't been that good.

• Upvote 1

GTFO with Peyton Manning. He isn't coming here. He got Gase the job, he isn't going to take a back seat to him, and Gase sure as hell isn't giving up any of his power to him. Friend or not.

I'm about 3 or 4 days from predicting Gase loses the interim tag. At this point I wouldn't even give a sh*t. The guy he hires is just going to be his hand picked yes man anyway. Does anybody think Douglas will be in charge of anything? Why not just hire a new scouting staff, some numbers guy to watch the salary cap and just stop the nonsense. Its all about Gase until further notice.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm about 3 or 4 days from predicting Gase loses the interim tag. 

The only reason he’ll lose it is because we hire a real GM.

gase is not going to want to deal with GM responsibility when the season starts and he damn well knows it because he’s talked about how unattractive the GM/HC job is already. He wants to focus on his offense. 

Joe Douglas will be the new General Manager of the New York Jets tomorrow or the day after. This isn’t going to last much longer.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

The only reason he’ll lose it is because we hire a real GM.

gase is not going to want to deal with GM responsibility when the season starts and he damn well knows it because he’s talked about how unattractive the GM/HC job is already. He wants to focus on his offense. 

Joe Douglas will be the new General Manager of the New York Jets tomorrow or the day after. This isn’t going to last much longer.

I agree with you, right now Gase probably doesn't want the GM title, PK. But...

Remember a week ago when we had never heard of this Douglas guy? When his name came up, what was the first thing that was said? He was "close" to Gase. Again, I'll agree his resume sounds good, but if he is that good, why would he come here?

There is no way that Gase (who is running this GM search) is going to give the new GM any authority over him. Which brings us back to if Douglas is that well thought of, why wouldn't he stay where he is and wait for a job to open up where he is the one who hires the HC, and has that coach answer to him.

I just don't see Douglas wanting to hitch his wagon to Gase's when Gase has the power. Unless Douglas isn't what we both think he is.

7 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I agree with you, right now Gase probably doesn't want the GM title, PK. But...

Remember a week ago when we had never heard of this Douglas guy? When his name came up, what was the first thing that was said? He was "close" to Gase. Again, I'll agree his resume sounds good, but if he is that good, why would he come here?

There is no way that Gase (who is running this GM search) is going to give the new GM any authority over him. Which brings us back to if Douglas is that well thought of, why wouldn't he stay where he is and wait for a job to open up where he is the one who hires the HC, and has that coach answer to him.

I just don't see Douglas wanting to hitch his wagon to Gase's when Gase has the power. Unless Douglas isn't what we both think he is.

The only way the Jets can hire Douglas is if they contractually give him control over the 53 man roster. You're making this assumption that Gase needs to be the Supreme Leader of the New York Jets. There's been no word that the power Structure at One Jets Drive is changing. Gase isn't in a position to hire someone under him or over him, they'll be separate equals each reporting to the owner. Gase and Mac clashed, largely -if reports are to be believed- because Mac froze the coaching staff away from the scouting department and didn't accept much input from him. On top of that were the indecisiveness issues. If Gase wants Douglas, maybe it's because he knows him, shares team building philosophies, and works well with him. Maybe he doesn't have to be in charge of him because he trusts him. 

If Gase is gonna have any chance of success here, he's going to need a GM who's on the same page as him, but not necessarily subservient. 

14 hours ago, MykePM said:

So let's give the job to a big name with no experience in the role.  Do we care more about results or positive perception?

75% of the people on this board have been acting like little girls since the drama with Macc. I'd say it's all about the teams perception for them. People should stop caring so much about how the outside world feels about the Jets. Who gives a sh*t? This isn't high school.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2