How to build an offensive line - by Macc

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

But....but....you can't fire a GM in May.  It looks bad and the media will make fun of us for making the correct decision, but too late.

And you can't put the HC in the GM spot temporarily.  He looked weird at his press conference and has high expectations for players.

:rolleyes:

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Darn. I gave Macc the wrong Manual being the dumb currier I am.  The manual I gave Mac 5 years ago said “Never ever draft an offensive lineman in the 1st  4 rounds of any NFL draft - Ever.” Then he goes out and drafts one late in the 4th this past draft and he gets fired!  My Bad!  

• Haha 2

All above posts are absurd. Mac never sold the idea of ignoring the OL to Woody. That's ridiculous.

What Mac did was he simply neglected the OL like I've never seen a GM do? He simply didn't care about the OL apparently. I was so appalled by what he did in the 2016 draft. Everyone and their family knew Mac had to take OL. It was a dire need even in 2016. Although we'll never know, I still think Mac's plan in 2016 was to take an OL. He thought one of the top linemen Tunsil, Stanley, Conklin, etc. He thought at least one of them would fall to him at 20. When he saw teams trading up during the draft to secure the top linemen, he started looking to trade up himself. However, he also knew trading up would require trading his 2nd rounder. That was something he was dead set against doing. He wanted CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG in the 2nd round. So he decided trading up was too costly and he took the little twerp in the 1st round instead.  Then he attempted to save face by taking Brandon Shell in the 5th round. He saved his 2nd for Hack and the rest is another very sad chapter in Jets history.

I'm still convinced he could have saved himself if he would have just traded for a veteran OL? Invested in OL in 2017? 2018? He just didn't seen to care enough. It wasn't on his list of IMPORTANT football players.

• Upvote 1

The thing is -  I bet Macc never even was a football coach on any level - ever! How does this guy move up to GM of an NFL team never being a football coach. I know because I coached AAU and Pop Warner - which now sucks - AAU is real football - I coached for 6 years. The first thing they teach you down here in Florida is the most important position on the field is your O-Line! The big boys. I spent hours and hours putting these kids thru drills. AAU had special coaches that would go to all their teams and go over O-Line blocking basics and techniques and drills and this started when the kids were 6 and 7 years old. If Macc ever did any coaching he would know. He never did and he doesn't know and he should of never been our GM.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Sometimes people will ask me who runs the JetNation Twitter and I’m forced to tell them it’s an automated program operating out of Russia that tries to simulate old Brady Bunch memes.

"How To Be Popular" - is that the type of thing you're joking about - lol!

Speaking of the Brady Bunch, hopefully Gase can prevent opponents from stealing our playbook.  Btw, what boy that age would risk having Marcia break up with him by stealing her brother's playbook?  Where were his priorities?!  He was dating Marcia Brady for crissakes!

• Upvote 1

the Problem with the Jets isn't their offensive line 

it's because since Favre until week 13 of last year the QB play has been atrocious

(and that's something we can blame Mac, Idzik, tanny etc for)

now there's an actual QB fans here's my prediction: Everyone's going to say how much better the Jets offensive line looks because the QB gets it out on time (assuming Darnold continues his development) 

if Darnold plays like he did weeks 1-whenever he got hurt last year, everyone will blame the line 

Line blaming is endemic. but it's not PIT and DAL winning SB it's NE. and their line is about as mediocre as the Jets, maybe even worse since they lost Trent Brown. 

• Upvote 2

walt michaels built the oline from the tackles in.  powell and ward were his 'bookend' tackles and he used a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder on those guys.  they worked out pretty well.  granted the oline isn't the be all end all for the offense but it gives the offense the versatility it needs to be really good.  mac did nothing of substance to improve the line for the long term.  every year it was patchwork and the team failed because of this.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nixhead said:

The thing is -  I bet Macc never even was a football coach on any level - ever! How does this guy move up to GM of an NFL team never being a football coach. I know because I coached AAU and Pop Warner - which now sucks - AAU is real football - I coached for 6 years. The first thing they teach you down here in Florida is the most important position on the field is your O-Line! The big boys. I spent hours and hours putting these kids thru drills. AAU had special coaches that would go to all their teams and go over O-Line blocking basics and techniques and drills and this started when the kids were 6 and 7 years old. If Macc ever did any coaching he would know. He never did and he doesn't know and he should of never been our GM.

Wow, you coached 6 years in Pop Warner and AAU? Please send CJ your resume.

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

But....but....you can't fire a GM in May.  It looks bad and the media will make fun of us for making the correct decision, but too late.

And you can't put the HC in the GM spot temporarily.  He looked weird at his press conference and has high expectations for players.

Why not fire him before the draft, so you can get someone who believes in oline?

15 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Why not fire him before the draft, so you can get someone who believes in oline?

Because it didnt become obvious that Macc had a communication problem with Gase until later?  Because there were complaints about his indecisiveness with regards to trades etc from other GMs until after the draft?   

2 hours ago, Nixhead said:

This isn't rocket science. Protect the investment.

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

It was too late.  It's like firing a coach at half-time when he did all the game-planning and prep leading up to the game.  The Jets waited until after the "game" (i.e. Draft).  Macc was already deep into preparation, was running the scouts, stacking the board, conducting interviews, attending Pro Days, conducting visits of players to the Jets, etc.  It would have been close to impossible to pull the ripcord after FA and before the Draft.

• Sympathy 1

I don't think the only red flag gase has is that he looked off during his presser

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because it didnt become obvious that Macc had a communication problem with Gase until later?  Because there were complaints about his indecisiveness with regards to trades etc from other GMs until after the draft?   

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

It was too late.  It's like firing a coach at half-time when he did all the game-planning and prep leading up to the game.  The Jets waited until after the "game" (i.e. Draft).  Macc was already deep into preparation, was running the scouts, stacking the board, conducting interviews, attending Pro Days, conducting visits of players to the Jets, etc.  It would have been close to impossible to pull the ripcord after FA and before the Draft.

Meh, this just reeks of total dysfunction to me. I am not one to get on everything they do, and try to look for the positive, but I can't with this situation. Don't get me wrong, I have been saying Maccagnan should have been fired the past two end of seasons, but I trusted the reason they didnt fire him, yet fired Bowles was, because they knew what they were doing and felt that Mac was doing a good job and Bowles was the disaster and pushing for the players at the top of the draft. They know exactly what they have in Mac, he was here for 3 full years. If he was not on solid enough ground to prevent this type of firing, he should have been cleaned out with Bowles, and a real head of football ops, or powerful GM should have been brought in to guide the coach hiring process, the offseason moves and the draft, period.

I think Mac being gone is a good thing, but the timing of this is just awful. We now have a HC who is openly against the prized FA acquisition, didn't support the draft, and we have a 2nd year QB switching systems, shaky Line, and what looks to be a lot of turmoil.

This does not bode well for developing Darnold, and this is not the way successful organizations operate.

Winning cures all, and if Gase can develop Darnold, and the team looks pretty good, all of this will be forgotten quickly and will look like a good move, and I will gladly admit I was wrong. But I think this is setting up for a disaster. We have a very rough opening stretch, and if the team gets off to a losing record by week 6, this is going to be a total sh*t show that will be hard to recover from.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Sometimes people will ask me who runs the JetNation Twitter and I’m forced to tell them it’s an automated program operating out of Russia that tries to simulate old Brady Bunch memes.

SAY THAT TO MY FACE !!!!!!!#####!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

Let’s see last two years we passed on Cam Robinson and Orlando Brown for an insanely overrrated box safety and a DT who probably is going to be our most embarrassing bust since Hackenberg

Robinson and Brown could have been our bookend Tackles for the next 10 years

And to top it all off we don’t even make offers on Trent Brown and Matt Paradis

BUT MAC SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN FIRED!

Didn’t know where to post this but this topic seems like a good spot.

I could never for the life me understand why Bowles kept Long under Center. After these last few weeks, I figured it out. Macc doesn’t value the center position. Like Gase, Bowles likely asked for a center and Macc gifted Bowles with Long. In a **** you Macc move, he left Long out there to show everyone how awful Macc’s move was. Bowles knew he was gone and wanted to take Macc down. Unfortunately it didn’t happen. At least not until Gase had the same complaints.

Why did Bowles always have a blank stare? Imagine trying to convince the GM to get x and y player and, instead, he gives you a sh*tty ass roster. I’d stare out into the abyss as well. I’d be like what the hell am I suppose to do with this. Had you just listened.

Bowles needed to go. It took me a while to come around to seeing Macc needed to go. But it was the right move. Jets fans wouldn’t want me as an owner. I’d be late on all these firings. 

Was Lee a Bowles pick? Macc didn’t listen to coaches and Tampa didn’t even want to give up a 6th rounder for Lee. 

the Problem with the Jets isn't their offensive line 
it's because since Favre until week 13 of last year the QB play has been atrocious
(and that's something we can blame Mac, Idzik, tanny etc for)
now there's an actual QB fans here's my prediction: Everyone's going to say how much better the Jets offensive line looks because the QB gets it out on time (assuming Darnold continues his development) 
if Darnold plays like he did weeks 1-whenever he got hurt last year, everyone will blame the line 
Line blaming is endemic. but it's not PIT and DAL winning SB it's NE. and their line is about as mediocre as the Jets, maybe even worse since they lost Trent Brown. 

The Patriots’ mediocre OL always works out because they have a tremendous OL Coach who teaches them how to get away with holding on every play.

walt michaels built the oline from the tackles in.  powell and ward were his 'bookend' tackles and he used a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder on those guys.  they worked out pretty well.  granted the oline isn't the be all end all for the offense but it gives the offense the versatility it needs to be really good.  mac did nothing of substance to improve the line for the long term.  every year it was patchwork and the team failed because of this.

Yep. You have to invest high picks on OTs. They can always kick inside and become very good Guards even if they don’t work out. But since LT is still the toughest position on the line and hardest to find, followed by RT, you have to be willing to invest high picks there. Otherwise you’ll just be spinning your wheels.
  • Upvote 1

Didn’t know where to post this but this topic seems like a good spot.
I could never for the life me understand why Bowles kept Long under Center. After these last few weeks, I figured it out. Macc doesn’t value the center position. Like Gase, Bowles likely asked for a center and Macc gifted Bowles with Long. In a **** you Macc move, he left Long out there to show everyone how awful Macc’s move was. Bowles knew he was gone and wanted to take Macc down. Unfortunately it didn’t happen. At least not until Gase had the same complaints.
Why did Bowles always have a blank stare? Imagine trying to convince the GM to get x and y player and, instead, he gives you a sh*tty ass roster. I’d stare out into the abyss as well. I’d be like what the hell am I suppose to do with this. Had you just listened.
 Bowles needed to go. It took me a while to come around to seeing Macc needed to go. But it was the right move. Jets fans wouldn’t want me as an owner. I’d be late on all these firings. 
Was Lee a Bowles pick? Macc didn’t listen to coaches and Tampa didn’t even want to give up a 6th rounder for Lee. 

Amazing how long it took for fans to recognize Bowles was not our only problem, and not even
the 1st or 2nd biggest problem.