MUST LISTEN: TOJ's Joe Caporoso speaks with Tony Pauline

Great podcast interview. Joe Caporoso is joined by Tony Pauline to get the inside story on what happened between Adam Gase and Mike Maccagnan, how the Jets coaching search played out,  internal disagreements over Matt Paradis, Le’Veon Bell, Daniel Fells and where the team goes from here…

From the sounds of this, Maccagnan was truly a terrible GM with an out-of-date old school philosophy. Macc and Heimerdinger completely botched the HC search and hired Gase out of desperation (which was clear to see). The coaching job, and now the GM job never seemed like it was a coveted job, and now with a new GM that must take on Adam Gase, this may end up being to toxic of a position for high end candidates (Joe Douglas) to even seriously consider. The Macc/Hiemerdinger feud was just cover for Gase given that both Heimerdinger and Gase were out the door. Tony discusses he reasoning behind Gases comments on Bell, as well as some players Gase wanted in Free Agency. 

http://turnonthejets.com/2019/05/toj-podcast-the-adam-gase-mike-maccagnan-inside-story-f-tony-pauline/

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t know. I don’t think coaches should be GMs, but at the same time I don’t mind having *one guy* be the shot caller. I think Gase is tough enough to assume control and smart enough to be trusted with at least a chance to build his roster. Especially considering he’s building it from a QB-centric view, which is really how it needs to be done these days. We just had ten years of defensive coaches pushing around wimpy GMs and spending billions on DLs and DBs, so I’m cool if Gase reverses the trend and we’re overcompensating OLs and WRs for once.

I’m okay with overcompensating with OL’s WR’s but at the same time, I look at his ability to find players and I just don’t know if he’s much better at it than Maccagnan. It also scares me that he’s so emotionally reactionary because what if he trades someone he doesn’t like and it makes our team worse? 

There are pieces of this situation that both attract and scare me off.

If he’s going to have such a strong say in player personnel, I’d almost rather them get a guy in there specifically to hunt good players that may be of interest to Gase. 

Almost like a Mike Mayock-Jon Gruden relationship.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m okay with overcompensating with OL’s WR’s but at the same time, I look at his ability to find players and I just don’t know if he’s much better at it than Maccagnan. It also scares me that he’s so emotionally reactionary because what if he trades someone he doesn’t like and it makes our team worse? 

There are pieces of this situation that both attract and scare me off.

If he’s going to have such a strong say in player personnel, I’d almost rather them get a guy in there specifically to hunt good players that may be of interest to Gase. 

Almost like a Mike Mayock-Jon Gruden relationship.

You know who emotionally cuts and trades guys he gets annoyed with? Bill Belichick. Bill Parcells dumped Hugh Douglas because of his mouth and Douglas was a really good player. Mangini psychotically dragged Pete Kendall through the campus by his hair for his own amusement. It happens. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Meh. That’s mostly Pauline doing a victory lap without adding much new than what’s already out there. The one thing I found amusing was Pauline saying that Maccagnan is too “old school” and doesn’t want to pay big money for tight ends and centers...but he’ll drop high picks on safeties and ILBs? Bottom line with everything flying around right now is that Maccagnan was in way over his head and needed to go. Regardless of how anyone feels about Gase, there’s nooooobody out there making the positive case for retaining Maccagnan right now. 

Drafting box Safeties 6th overall is “old school”? 

Investing in OL is supposedly old school.  Pauline is a retard

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You know who emotionally cuts and trades guys he gets annoyed with? Bill Belichick. Bill Parcells dumped Hugh Douglas because of his mouth and Douglas was a really good player. Mangini psychotically dragged Pete Kendall through the campus by his hair for his own amusement. It happens. 

Exactly.  Gase is doing exactly what Mangini did only everyone here celebrates Mangini even now but somehow Gase is worse than Kotite

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

He’s an inside power runner according to Tony. 

Laughable. Bell shoots out of any gap that is there. He’s not stiff and strictly a between the tackles kind of guy. Tony is painting him as a North-South runner and that would be sort of correct if he was still at Michigan State but he’s not. He’s got some crazy agility and really just overall solid movement ability. He plays quick and his vision allows him to find any hole. 

So the gaps truly don’t matter for him...just make sure there are gaps there.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Its a nice comparison but it doesn’t mean much if he doesn’t replace them with bodies that can play and fit the team just as well as the person he decides to cut.

This is why Beli never misses a beat.

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Laughable. Bell shoots out of any gap that is there. He’s not stiff and strictly a between the tackles kind of guy. Tony is painting him as a North-South runner and that would be sort of correct if he was still at Michigan State but he’s not. He’s got some crazy agility and really just overall solid movement ability. He plays quick and his vision allows him to find any hole. 

So the gaps truly don’t matter for him...just make sure there are gaps there.

He’s very balanced so I thought that was a weird comment by Tony. 

I recall Pepper Johson having similar criticism about the front office. Essentially highlighting that Macc didn’t factor in what coaches were trying to do on the field. This has been an issue the entire time. The difference now is the HC won’t just stay quiet in a corner. All the guy wanted was a backup TE. That’s it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/08/31/i-was-made-scapegoat-ex-coach-blasts-jets-in-blistering-interview/amp/

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

He’s very balanced so I thought that was a weird comment by Tony. 

They would NOT have been throwing Bell swing passes and flicking it to him out flat for 6 years if all he could of was run North/South lmfao. You gotta have SOME kind of wiggle in most of those situations if you wanna break loose.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Exactly.  Gase is doing exactly what Mangini did only everyone here celebrates Mangini even now but somehow Gase is worse than Kotite

Agree. Gase is very Mangini-like. He wants specific players, with a specific attitude. If you aren't his type of player then you're gone.

I think it's precisely what this team needs after years of mismanagement.

Oh, and Pauline is a mouth-breathing,  moustachioed chimp.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

Agree. Gase is very Mangini-like. He wants specific players, with a specific attitude. If you aren't his type of player then you're gone.

I think it's precisely what this team needs after years of mismanagement.

As long as those players are like the players Mangini was given — Nick Mangold, D’Brick, Harris, Revis.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

They would NOT have been throwing Bell swing passes and flicking it to him out flat for 6 years if all he could of was run North/South lmfao. You gotta have SOME kind of wiggle in most of those situations if you wanna break loose.

Yeah, it was a bizarre take for sure.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Name one person 

Almost veryone on NFLN.  Most of the NFL live people.  Tanny.

Theres a whole world outside of what Cimini or Pauline whine about.  

Remember when you and a few others said no one would want the HC job.  Spot on too. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Not surprised. ??

Well let's see.  Gase wanted and took the job.  McCarthy said it was the only job he would take.  They clearly could have had Ruhle if they wanted him.  KK too.

Reeks of desperation, right? ??

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Almost veryone on NFLN.  Most of the NFL live people.  Tanny.

Theres a whole world outside of what Cimini or Pauline whine about.  

Remember when you and a few others said no one would want the HC job.  Spot on too. 

This is a lie. I watched NFLN for an hour yesterday and it was like watching a layup line of various analysts dunking on the Jets. 

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Well let's see.  Gase wanted and took the job.  McCarthy said it was the only job he would take.  They clearly could have had Ruhle if they wanted him.  KK too.

Reeks of desperation, right? ??

Pauline, whom you said was a lying psychopath last week but whom was 100% correct, in this interview says that Gase didn’t want the Jets job, wanted the Browns job, and it ended up being a marriage of mutual desperation when the Browns hired Kitchens