“Get It Done Tanny!”

Let’s talk about Mike Tannenbaum for a second. I see a lot of guys on here praise his early success, some say he’s not that bad and others place him with the long list of other ex-GM’s that couldn’t get the job done. 

Now what I want to talk about here in specific is the early drafting success oppose to his later drafting results towards the end of his tenure here with NYJ and the attention that was paid to certain positions

He collected players like Nick Mangold, D’Brick, Harris, Revis. He accounted for the OL by grabbing Faneca and Damien Woody. He traded for weapons like Holmes and Braylon Edwards. He bought Thomas Jones and took a shot on Shonn Greene. He basically built a contender. 

But then something changed....

He let Braylon walk, upset Cotchery, watched as Mark’s weapons left and lesser ones came in. The draft started to look god awful with picks like Kyle Wilson, Vernon Gholston, Stephen Hill, Quinten Coples, Vlad Ducass and countless others.

Our safety combo was Yeremiah Bell and Antonio Allen at one time. Just god awful.

what happened? Was it the change in influence from Mangini to Rex? Do Good GM’s stay consistent even during the changing of HC’s?

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Let’s talk about Mike Tannenbaum for a second. I see a lot of guys on here praise his early success, some say he’s not that bad and others place him with the long list of other ex-GM’s that couldn’t get the job done. 

Now what I want to talk about here in specific is the early drafting success oppose to his later drafting results towards the end of his tenure here with NYJ and the attention that was paid to certain positions

He collected players like Nick Mangold, D’Brick, Harris, Revis. He accounted for the OL by grabbing Faneca and Damien Woody. He traded for weapons like Holmes and Braylon Edwards. He bought Thomas Jones and took a shot on Shonn Greene. He basically built a contender. 

He let Braylon walk, upset Cotchery, watched as Mark’s weapons left and lesser ones came in. The draft started to look god awful with picks like Kyle Wilson, Vernon Gholston, Stephen Hill, Quinten Coples, Vlad Ducass and countless others.

Our safety combo was Yeremiah Bell and Antonio Allen at one time. Just god awful.

what happened? Was it the change in influence from Mangini to Rex? Do Good GM’s stay consistent even during the changing of HC’s?

You have to pay the piper eventually and poor cap management caught up to him. This thwarted his aggressive strategy and put him in a hole that he couldn’t get out of. The NFL is different now though and cap hell is harder to get into. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Creepy Lurker said:

You have to pay the piper eventually and poor cap management caught up to him. This thwarted his aggressive strategy and put him in a hole that he couldn’t get out of. The NFL is different now though and cap hell is harder to get into. 

Definitely sucked at managing cap and had us tied in tight there for awhile. 

But here’s something interesting..as I look at his run in Miami, I see more of the 2010-2013 Mike Tanny that bombed in NY. 

Why was he so good in 2006-2010 but nothing close to the same afterwards. What is the catalyst to his regression as a GM.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Mike Tannenbaum was a conniving social climber who slimed his way up the ladder by ingratiating himself to more qualified people and hanging on for fear life. He is literally a CPA. He didn’t have a stroke and forget how to draft good players after 2008. Realizing he’s a CPA, he deferred to his scouts and coaches when it came time to draft prospects. Under Mangini, they drafted and signed high character players. Under Rex, they drafted and signed absolute punkass thugs who were exiled from other teams. Tannenbaum has been a catastrophic failure outside of his brief time with Mangini. 

So the catalyst to his run from success to failure is based on Mangini and his guys? 

Interesting... read an article once that Mangini took a near finalized version of the Patriots draft board with him on his way to NY. 

Could be Mangini.

• Upvote 1

I don’t want to take anything away from Tanny but I think Mangini had a lot to do with Tanny’s success here in NY. You mentioned certain players like Bell and Brown starting but that’s because we didn’t prioritize draft picks.

2009, Revis had the most phenomenal defensive year I have ever seen in my life. The guy was filthy. The guy that started opposite of him? Lito Shepherd. 

Although I’m not a Sanchez supporter, we completely failed that project. The lack of talent and offensive line we provided for Sanchez was inexcusable. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

Although I’m not a Sanchez supporter, we completely failed that project. The lack of talent and offensive line we provided for Sanchez was inexcusable. 

Seems like a lot of the guys that helped Mark grow ever so little his first two seasons weren’t signing back because Tanny simply didn’t plan ahead and had ZERO cash.

plus Revis’s bandaid contract in 2010 did take away from them.

13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Just more proof that the draft is a crap shoot. When the Jets drafted Mega Bust Blair Thomas, I remember Parcells saying A lot of people thought this guy was going to be really good when he was drafted. You just need to be a bit lucky. 

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Just more proof that the draft is a crap shoot. When the Jets drafted Mega Bust Blair Thomas, I remember Parcells saying A lot of people thought this guy was going to be really good when he was drafted. You just need to be a bit lucky. 

Also true.

but pay close attention to the positions that he was addressing. 2006-2010 was OL, OL, OL, WR, RB and eventually QB.

then Rex comes in ... DL, DL, CB, DL, MLB, CB. 

Now Compare and contrast that with Gase and Maccagnan. I do think coaches have a huge effect on what happens in the draft room. Now not to tie in the Maccagnan situation here but there’s reason to suspect a change in influence as we see it in many front offices can affect how things shake out.

19 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

So the catalyst to his run from success to failure is based on Mangini and his guys? 

Interesting... read an article once that Mangini took a near finalized version of the Patriots draft board with him on his way to NY. 

Could be Mangini.

The praise that some around here give Mangini is hilarious. If this guy was so great, why isn't he a GM somewhere? This is the same guy that brought us the Ghost - a major all time bust and top 10 selection, and the Boar hunter. The same guy that got fleeced by Tanny to get the #5 pick? A 2 time failure at HC and not much of a DC. What's he up to these days?

I'm not much into conspiracies, but you may be onto something here.

52 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Could be Mangini.

I always hear how good magini is at evaluating talent... 

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Rex Ryan. 

4 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I agree.  The only way he could have gotten out of it was with good drafting for a couple years, and that's where he failed.  Other teams find ways to replace key parts that leave by drafting solid replacements.

A GM who is trying to seize the window and spends like crazy to build a 1 or 2 year contender can look good....but usually only for those couple years.  It's like a girl who maxes out her credit card buying clothes, getting her hair and makeup done, buying a hot new purse, etc.  She looks great for that one date or that weekend....but the next month she can't pay her credit card bill and is eating ramen noodles while selling her stuff on Craigslist.

• Haha 1

Tannenbaum was never a traditional GM, the switch to him when Manigini came in from Broadway was to let the HC set the tone of the organization and specify the type of players the HC wanted. It’s why there was a fundamental shift from Mangini to Rex. He was never and never will be a personnel guy. He is an administrator. If given the right HC, and scouting team, he can be fine, but without those two things, he’s worthless.

Tannenbaum was not a football visionary who had a plan for success.  But merely a facilitator.  Which he did especially for Ryan and Woody. 

Example...a GM who doesn't put his foot down and say no...and allows the Tebow Circus in JetsLand.  No GM worth his salt would allow that stain on his resume. 

This shotgun system of forcing a GM-HC marriage was implemented by Woody and the baton passed on to Chris.  IMO it is a poor formula for success.  Chris better give Gase whoever he wants as his GM companion.  Hopefully that's Joe Douglas.  But who knows if he wants to be GM NYJ.  Cause most knowledge able persons in NFL FO positions,  consider the Jets setup an embarrassing joke.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Could be Mangini.

would it make sense for the jets to go back to mangini as gm?  it kind of makes some sense.  it would certainly put more fire in the patsie jets relationship, as if there could be.

1 hour ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Tanny was alright when he worked with a football mind like Mangini. However when he let a mind like Rex influence him, it became a disaster.

Two things: 

One, Mangini and Tannenbaum were hired as a package deal, and worked as such. This is why I'm advocating for a Gase-minded GM now. 

Second, people give Mangini way too much credit for those drafts. The NFL draft is a crap shoot. The guys considered to be the best have a great year, then a so-so year, then a terrible year, just like everyone else. It's mostly about perception. If Mac's last draft produces a couple pro bowlers and a couple more starters, is that gonna change anyone's opinion of him as a drafter? The teams that do best in the draft understand that trading down and adding more picks is the way to go. Best odds when participating in a lottery is having more tickets. Tannenbaum sucked at that aspect of the job for his entire career. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Two things: 

One, Mangini and Tannenbaum were hired as a package deal, and worked as such. This is why I'm advocating for a Gase-minded GM now. 

Second, people give Mangini way too much credit for those drafts. The NFL draft is a crap shoot. The guys considered to be the best have a great year, then a so-so year, then a terrible year, just like everyone else. It's mostly about perception. If Mac's last draft produces a couple pro bowlers and a couple more starters, is that gonna change anyone's opinion of him as a drafter? The teams that do best in the draft understand that trading down and adding more picks is the way to go. Best odds when participating in a lottery is having more tickets. Tannenbaum sucked at that aspect of the job for his entire career. 

True, so did Macc, and it's a major reason why we never fully rebuilt and had to rely heavily on paying a premium in free agency.

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Two things: 

I completely agree with the crap shoot nature of the NFL draft. So many genius GM's have plenty of bad drafts too. This is why a HC is much more valuable than a GM. A strong HC and a strong QB is what you need to succeed in this league much more than a strong GM.

That said, I think if you look at Tanny under Mangini, he focussed more on O-Line, CB, even QB with Clemens because that is how Mangini wanted to build his team. Maybe he did have some luck in the players he brought in working out, but he focussed on good positions. Under Rex, it was all D all the time outside of Sanchez which was mandated by the owner to get a QB.

If Gase and Darnold are the good, we will be in good shape. Time will tell.

3 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

That said, I think if you look at Tanny under Mangini, he focussed more on O-Line, CB, even QB with Clemens because that is how Mangini wanted to build his team. Maybe he did have some luck in the players he brought in working out, but he focussed on good positions.

Right. This is why I say, it's important to have the head coach and GM on the same page, working together. But that said, the tandem had two good drafts then a bad one. Tanny's three player draft of Sanchez, Greene, and Slauson with Rex was better than his last draft with Mangini. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

Right. This is why I say, it's important to have the head coach and GM on the same page, working together. But that said, the tandem had two good drafts then a bad one. Tanny's three player draft of Sanchez, Greene, and Slauson with Rex was better than his last draft with Mangini. 

Agree

7 hours ago, Ghost said:

I don’t want to take anything away from Tanny but I think Mangini had a lot to do with Tanny’s success here in NY. You mentioned certain players like Bell and Brown starting but that’s because we didn’t prioritize draft picks.

2009, Revis had the most phenomenal defensive year I have ever seen in my life. The guy was filthy. The guy that started opposite of him? Lito Shepherd. 

Wait. Now we didn't provide Sanchez offensive line?  Give me a ******* break. How many pro bowlers did he need?  I get the character complaints.  The rest is nonsense.  

Oh, and Tannenbaum wasn't that bad with the cap.  Unless you count his time shilling for Bradway and Parcells because I don't blame him for the Pennington and Martin deals that pre-dated 2006.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

The Sanchez trade is the beginning and end of the reality-based argument as to which of the two knew what he was doing.

• Upvote 1

On 5/18/2019 at 3:42 PM, #27TheDominator said:

Wait. Now we didn't provide Sanchez offensive line?  Give me a ******* break. How many pro bowlers did he need?  I get the character complaints.  The rest is nonsense.  

Oh, and Tannenbaum wasn't that bad with the cap.  Unless you count his time shilling for Bradway and Parcells because I don't blame him for the Pennington and Martin deals that pre-dated 2006.

Are you serious? Yes, our offensive line in 2009 and 2010 was great. As I mentioned, we had very little depth. Do you remember who was playing RT against the Steelers in the playoffs? 

On 5/18/2019 at 8:09 AM, Patriot Killa said:

A lot of guys had to go to after signing Sanchez, Holmes and Revis.   Personally I would have let Holmes walk, kept Bray and Cotchery and signed someone else with the remaining money.  Holmes was injured most of the next year and didn't really make many contributions to the team after the signing. 

On 5/18/2019 at 8:09 AM, Patriot Killa said:

The biggest reason why the 2011 team was so stripped of talent is because of CAP hell. Tanny didn't properly manage the cap and that problem came to roost in 2011. 

On 5/18/2019 at 8:20 AM, Ghost said:

LT, Bray, Tony Richardson, Woody, Slausen, Hartsock all great blockers, all gone.  Replaced by the likes of Wayne Hunter and other non-performing players.  Sanchez was taking a beating and forcing plays that weren't there. 

• Upvote 1