“Get It Done Tanny!”

On 5/18/2019 at 3:42 PM, #27TheDominator said:

Wait. Now we didn't provide Sanchez offensive line?  Give me a ******* break. How many pro bowlers did he need?  I get the character complaints.  The rest is nonsense.  

Oh, and Tannenbaum wasn't that bad with the cap.  Unless you count his time shilling for Bradway and Parcells because I don't blame him for the Pennington and Martin deals that pre-dated 2006.

We went from Matt Slausen to Vlad Ducasse and Damien Woody to Wayne Hunter.  That's a big downgrade, but the OL aren't the only blockers.  LT, Richardson, Bray, Hartsock all terrific blockers, all gone.

14 hours ago, Ghost said:

Are you serious? Yes, our offensive line in 2009 and 2010 was great. As I mentioned, we had very little depth. Do you remember who was playing RT against the Steelers in the playoffs? 

Dead ******* serious.  You are worried about Wayne Hunter?  He was probably as good a backup T as there was.  The team was 2-1 with him down the stretch, beating the Patriots and Steelers and putting up over 30 against the Bears in a loss.  He also only lasted a year.   When he flopped, Tanny flipped him for Jason Smith #2 overall in 2009.  They then started Austin Howard who played well enough to earn a monster contract with the Raiders and who was still starting at RT in the NFL in 2017, starting all 16 for the 9-7 Ravens.  

13 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

LT, Bray, Tony Richardson, Woody, Slausen, Hartsock all great blockers, all gone.  Replaced by the likes of Wayne Hunter and other non-performing players.  Sanchez was taking a beating and forcing plays that weren't there. 

LT?  Bray?  Give me a ******* break.  How much blocking did he do?  Braylon Edwards blocked for Sanchez?  You're killing me.  He was a useless WR and if Tannenbaum kept him you'd have been killing him for giving a contract to that washed up slug.

13 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

We went from Matt Slausen to Vlad Ducasse and Damien Woody to Wayne Hunter.  That's a big downgrade, but the OL aren't the only blockers.  LT, Richardson, Bray, Hartsock all terrific blockers, all gone.

Pretty funny analysis.  The went from Faneca to Slauson without missing a beat.  Ducasse was never a starter and Slauson didn't leave the Jets until 2013 when Idzik let him walk and drafted Winters in the 3rd (Aboushi in the 5th and Campbell in the 6th).  I've already addressed Wayne Hunter.  Matt Mulligan was not a great TE, but he was probably a better blocker than Hartsock and was the blocking TE on the 12-4 Patriots team that lost to the Broncos in the Conference Championship in 2013.  Tony Richardson was 40 years old (literally, not even exaggerating) and the team burned a 5th on a FB.  Vlad Ducasse is still playing and starting and he was a backup.  

You guys are crying about old guys that retired and povero Mark didn't have any players, but half the replacements are still starting in the league 10 years later, while Mark has fallen on his face with the greatest offensive line in football, Chip Kelly and the super bowl champs. 

I get feeling bad about the character introduced to the locker room that GQ with his hairband couldn't control, but the offensive line?  Those guys complain about being stuck with Sanchez, not the other way around. 

• Upvote 1

You have to pay the piper eventually and poor cap management caught up to him. This thwarted his aggressive strategy and put him in a hole that he couldn’t get out of. The NFL is different now though and cap hell is harder to get into. 
He didn't have poor cap management, it was one of his major strengths. What we did was constantly retool instead of rebuild after we got to those afcc games we went all in.

The problem was Sanchez never panned out and that really cost us being able to ride out the rebuild period. Tanny had the entire roster ready to dump all bad contracts setup nicely for idzick's first year.

Idzick came in and simply followed the outline Tanny set up to allow us to dump dead money and start building again.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• WTF? 1

On 5/20/2019 at 9:48 AM, #27TheDominator said:

Dead ******* serious.  You are worried about Wayne Hunter?  He was probably as good a backup T as there was.  The team was 2-1 with him down the stretch, beating the Patriots and Steelers and putting up over 30 against the Bears in a loss.  He also only lasted a year.   When he flopped, Tanny flipped him for Jason Smith #2 overall in 2009.  They then started Austin Howard who played well enough to earn a monster contract with the Raiders and who was still starting at RT in the NFL in 2017, starting all 16 for the 9-7 Ravens.  

LT?  Bray?  Give me a ******* break.  How much blocking did he do?  Braylon Edwards blocked for Sanchez?  You're killing me.  He was a useless WR and if Tannenbaum kept him you'd have been killing him for giving a contract to that washed up slug.

Pretty funny analysis.  The went from Faneca to Slauson without missing a beat.  Ducasse was never a starter and Slauson didn't leave the Jets until 2013 when Idzik let him walk and drafted Winters in the 3rd (Aboushi in the 5th and Campbell in the 6th).  I've already addressed Wayne Hunter.  Matt Mulligan was not a great TE, but he was probably a better blocker than Hartsock and was the blocking TE on the 12-4 Patriots team that lost to the Broncos in the Conference Championship in 2013.  Tony Richardson was 40 years old (literally, not even exaggerating) and the team burned a 5th on a FB.  Vlad Ducasse is still playing and starting and he was a backup.  

You guys are crying about old guys that retired and povero Mark didn't have any players, but half the replacements are still starting in the league 10 years later, while Mark has fallen on his face with the greatest offensive line in football, Chip Kelly and the super bowl champs. 

I get feeling bad about the character introduced to the locker room that GQ with his hairband couldn't control, but the offensive line?  Those guys complain about being stuck with Sanchez, not the other way around. 

Just want to make sure you said this correctly. Wayne Hunter was one of the best backup tackles in the league? 

28 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Just want to make sure you said this correctly. Wayne Hunter was one of the best backup tackles in the league? 

Can you name a better backup tackle?  As I said, he performed very well as a spot starter in 2010 and was exposed in 2011 when he had to start the entire season.  When it turned out he couldn't cut it they traded him for a highly regarded, but injury prone T and located Austin Howard who was competent or better.  Both are probably as good or better at T as Sanchez at QB.  They are not as good as Woody was, but Woody retired.  Requiring 5 all-pros on the offensive line is proof that Sanchez was not very good, not that they ruined him.  

The change in HC was a major reason why the team fractured after 2010. Mangini was not a great coach or talent evaluator but he at least had a disciplined vision of how he wanted to roster built and managed Tannenbaum to some extent. Rex didn't have a vision beyond showing off his defensive prowess and encouraged Tannenbaum to spend zealously. 

I suspect Woody also felt like the team was on an upswing and wanted to go full tilt towards trying to win and actively encouraged Tannenbaum to spend everything to get there. That is consistent with unloading Mangini after one bad season if Woody felt Mangini was opposed to what Woody wanted Tannenbaum to do and Woody felt a sense of urgency about winning.