Pat Kirwin on NFL radio regarding the Jets

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Jeff Ireland, you say

I know, kind of chuckled when I heard it. But, you get the main point. Told a story about a friend who interviewed for the GM job the year they hired Macc Didn't name him, but I guessed it was Caldwell. Said this guy knew after 10 minutes he wasn't going to get the job, so he spent the rest of his time basically telling Woody why the Jets organization is a sh*tshow, and why the best guys would have no interest. Obviously, it was like talking to a cat, becausde we know who Woody hired. Went on to say that hopefully, Chris is different and will use this chance to learn about how to build a real organization. We can only hope, but wouldn't hold my breath.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Maybe not, a real idiot would have extended Mac for another 3 years. I sense CJ's training wheels are coming off. 

Serious question.  What exactly about Christopher Wold Johnson makes you think he can run a multi billion dollar NFL franchise?  Even if he decides to take the "training wheels" off, and pay attention to what's going on around him.

"It’s not clear what Christopher does for a living, but he has never worked for Johnson and Johnson, the company started by his great-grandfather."

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/20/5-things-to-know-about-woody-johnsons-brother-chris-johnson/

90% of the posters on the board could do a better job.  At least most of them have been gainfully employed at some point in their lives, and follow NY Jets football.  C J, 2 years into being the CEO of the NY Jets, has decided he might start paying attention to the actual business.

All he's done his entire life is be Woody's Lil brother

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Serious question.  What exactly about Christopher Wold Johnson makes you think he can run a multi billion dollar NFL franchise.  Even if he decides to take the "training wheels" off, and pay attention to what's going on around him?

"It’s not clear what Christopher does for a living, but he has never worked for Johnson and Johnson, the company started by his great-grandfather."

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/20/5-things-to-know-about-woody-johnsons-brother-chris-johnson/

90% of the posters on the board could do a better job.  At least most of them have been gainfully employed at some point in their lives, and follow NY Jets football.  C J, 2 years into being the CEO of the NY Jets, has decided he might start paying attention to the actual business.

Pretty much. I mean this is a league office type deal. You have a guy whose “work” experience is attending fundraisers and art galas for the last 60 years and hes just handed the keys to a billion dollar franchise? What? How are season ticket holders willingly going along with this?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Was listening yesterday afternoon, and made two good points.  1) Joe Douglass...would have to guarantee him full control over the roster or Eagles could argue it's not a real promotion, and try to block it. 2)  Chris Johnson should take his time and interview a bunch of guys who were GM's, guys like Pioli, Savage, Ireland etc. These guys would come in and be totally prepared for the interview. Would know everything about the organization, and would give him the real scoop on how a real NFL team should be run. Thinks this is a huge opportunity for Chris to possibly start to right the ship, and he should talk to guys who could council him on how to do it.

No to Savage and Ireland but Id take Pioli - tho I doubt he'd be interested in the Jet due to his strong ties to Belichick

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Was listening yesterday afternoon, and made two good points.  1) Joe Douglass...would have to guarantee him full control over the roster or Eagles could argue it's not a real promotion, and try to block it. 2)  Chris Johnson should take his time and interview a bunch of guys who were GM's, guys like Pioli, Savage, Ireland etc. These guys would come in and be totally prepared for the interview. Would know everything about the organization, and would give him the real scoop on how a real NFL team should be run. Thinks this is a huge opportunity for Chris to possibly start to right the ship, and he should talk to guys who could council him on how to do it.

I heard that. Kirwan is one of my favorite guys to listen to.  The most interesting thing for me was how he talked about this being an opportunity to hear what other high level professionals think about the org. It's fantastic way to get the real intel. Like hearing how the Jets are perceived in trades  etc.  

Problem can be that small minded alpha dog wanna be types can take that as insulting and dislike someone who gives them info like that. I see CJ being in that mold. I still have hope, but I have almost zero confidence in CJ's ability to pull this together. A jet setting billionaire up until 2 years ago that still wants to be perceived as some sort of though guy or at least competent business owner. Having a guy like Adam Gase, who seems like a legit crazy person, can run roughshod over a guy like CJ. 

I can still remember how fraudulent Woody looked to me in Hard Knocks during the Revis holdout. He said "This is New York. We're not going to be intimidated"  or something like that. Then he looked at Tannenbaum for approval.  This is his little brother we're talking about here. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I heard that. Kirwan is one of my favorite guys to listen to.  The most interesting thing for me was how he talked about this being an opportunity to hear what other high level professionals think about the org. It's fantastic way to get the real intel. Like hearing how the Jets are perceived in trades  etc.  

Problem can be that small minded alpha dog wanna be types can take that as insulting and dislike someone who gives them info like that. I see CJ being in that mold. I still have hope, but I have almost zero confidence in CJ's ability to pull this together. A jet setting billionaire up until 2 years ago that still wants to be perceived as some sort of though guy or at least competent business owner. Having a guy like Adam Gase, who seems like a legit crazy person, can run roughshod over a guy like CJ. 

I can still remember how fraudulent Woody looked to me in Hard Knocks during the Revis holdout. He said "This is New York. We're not going to be intimidated"  or something like that. Then he looked at Tannenbaum for approval.  This is his little brother we're talking about here. 

I listened to that show too.  Was fascinated by the above.  All of it. And I want to know who that candidate was?  Somehow I don't think it was Caldwell.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Chris Johnson should take his time and interview a bunch of guys who were GM's, guys like Pioli, Savage, Ireland etc. These guys would come in and be totally prepared for the interview. Would know everything about the organization, and would give him the real scoop on how a real NFL team should be run. Thinks this is a huge opportunity for Chris to possibly start to right the ship, and he should talk to guys who could council him on how to do it.

This is excellent advice. 

What it sounds like he's suggesting is to interview guys who've done the job as a learning experience for himself, not necessarily to hire them, but to pick their brains. "So what would you do to right the Jets' airship?" That's a good question for Chris to ask and hear answers from professionals. 

As much as I'd prefer this hire get done quickly, the Jets have a real opportunity here as the only team in the league with a GM opening right now. They can afford to take their time and, hopefully, do it right. It's not like the top candidates have any other options other than staying put wherever they are. It's much more important that they make the right hire rather than make the fast hire just to quiet the critics. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Serious question.  What exactly about Christopher Wold Johnson makes you think he can run a multi billion dollar NFL franchise?  Even if he decides to take the "training wheels" off, and pay attention to what's going on around him.

Its awful easy to discredit someone because they've inherited money its another to thing to believe they are idiots because of it.  You and I have no  clue how much business sense CJ has. Just because he hasn't earned every penny of his wealth doesn't make him unable to learn the football business.  

• Sympathy 1

Someone said about Jeff Wilpon (but it applies to Woody and Christopher, probably even moreso): He was born on third base, and thinks he hit a triple.
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Its awful easy to discredit someone because they've inherited money its another to thing to believe they are idiots because of it.  You and I have no  clue how much business sense CJ has. Just because he hasn't earned every penny of his wealth doesn't make him unable to learn the football business.  

No problem with a guy who has inherited money.  The difference is, his brother Woody at least took his money and started an investment company. That company has actually purchased the NY Jets.  In the last 20 years that investment has earned him in the area of $1,000,000,000.  Not bad.  Still a horrible NFL owner because he doesn't understand football.

Christopher, to the best of anyone's knowledge, has never had any type of job in his life.  Really doesn't show a whole lot of initiative.  This is the guy you want to put in charge of an extremely competitive billion dollar business?

I'm sure he's able to learn, but in the last 60 years of his life he hasn't bothered.  I'm sure he's suddenly going to become a business lion.     

• Upvote 1

That's true but I think we have already seen quite a bit of mismanagement, so it's not just being born into wealth. They've set up a front office and staff situation that isn't working, with multiple iterations, and they haven't changed it.

13 minutes ago, isired said:
1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

That's true but I think we have already seen quite a bit of mismanagement, so it's not just being born into wealth. They've set up a front office and staff situation that isn't working, with multiple iterations, and they haven't changed it.

Again not necessarily defending him , but he's been CEO of the Jets since 2017 its not like he's been here a decade making bad decisions. He observed a problem between Mac and the rest of Management and took action on it. You can argue its bad timing I'll argue its probably better .then trying to rush a GM hire and give him only two months to prepare for the draft/FA.  

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

This is excellent advice. 

What it sounds like he's suggesting is to interview guys who've done the job as a learning experience for himself, not necessarily to hire them, but to pick their brains. "So what would you do to right the Jets' airship?" That's a good question for Chris to ask and hear answers from professionals. 

As much as I'd prefer this hire get done quickly, the Jets have a real opportunity here as the only team in the league with a GM opening right now. They can afford to take their time and, hopefully, do it right. It's not like the top candidates have any other options other than staying put wherever they are. It's much more important that they make the right hire rather than make the fast hire just to quiet the critics. 

I forgot to add in my original post that Kirwin said Al Davis would do this all the time..have guys come in so he could pick their brains.

Again not necessarily defending him , but he's been CEO of the Jets since 2017 its not like he's been here a decade making bad decisions. He observed a problem between Mac and the rest of Management and took action on it. You can argue its bad timing I'll argue its probably better .then trying to rush a GM hire and give him only two months to prepare for the draft/FA.  
I was lumping Chris and Woody together there, since the structure (both coach and GM reporting directly to owner) is still intact.

5 minutes ago, isired said:
11 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I was lumping Chris and Woody together there, since the structure (both coach and GM reporting directly to owner) is still intact.

Woody's problem is he put too much trust into voices outside the organization, then he showed too much loyalty to the people he hired when they were proven to be incompetent .  CJ by firing Bowles/Mac seems to at least be willing to try and right the ship at a faster pace then Woody. 

Bottom line what do we want out of an owner - to hire qualified  people and to spend money. CJ has spent money , let's see who he hires for GM. 

Woody's problem is he put too much trust into voices outside the organization, then he showed too much loyalty to the people he hired when they were proven to be incompetent .  CJ by firing Bowles/Mac seems to at least be willing to try and right the ship at a faster pace then Woody. 
Bottom line what do we want out of an owner - to hire qualified  people and to spend money. CJ has spent money , let's see who he hires for GM. 
So let's just talk about our situation now. Every NFL guy I hear all day on the radio says that Gase won a power struggle, and will have personnel say going forward. That is a mistake in my eyes - I like Gase a lot as a guy that can put WBs in a position to be their best selves, and I want that, and the offense, to be his focus. Let William's handle the D, the GM handle personnel.
  • Upvote 1

I think what happened here is Chris Johnson came to this board to get a feel for how the draft went & got sucked into the vortex that is Tom Shane's threads. 

After reading 12 hours straight about drafting Jamal Adams sixth overall and his 40 time, a bleary eyed Chris called Macc and hit him with a barrage of unprintable language & screamed, "YOU DON'T EVEN CONFIDE IN TOM SHANE BEFORE YOU MAKE DECISIONS! and just hung up.

Macc, shaken & confused, called everyone he knew to find out who this Tom Shane was but no one had even a clue. 

At that moment, Maccs phone dinged with a text message. When Macc started reading, it just said, YOUR FIRED! A bewildered Macc put his coffee cup down on the table & yelled to the heavens, TOM SHANE, who the hell are you & why have you forsaken me? He crumpled into a heap on the floor sobbing uncontrollably while Tom Shane was readying another thread at Jetnation in his basement full of Deaths-head Hawkmoths. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I think what happened here is Chris Johnson came to this board to get a feel for how the draft went & got sucked into the vortex that is Tom Shane's threads. 

After reading 12 hours straight about drafting Jamal Adams sixth overall and his 40 time, a bleary eyed Chris called Macc and hit him with a barrage of unprintable language & screamed, "YOU DON'T EVEN CONFIDE IN TOM SHANE BEFORE YOU MAKE DECISIONS! and just hung up.

Macc, shaken & confused, called everyone he knew to find out who this Tom Shane was but no one had even a clue. 

At that moment, Maccs phone dinged with a text message. When Macc started reading, it just said, YOUR FIRED! A bewildered Macc put his coffee cup down on the table & yelled to the heavens, TOM SHANE, who the hell are you & why have you forsaken me? He crumpled into a heap on the floor sobbing uncontrollably while Tom Shane was readying another thread at Jetnation in his basement full of Deaths-head Hawkmoths. 

I call BS.

If Macc doesn't know who @T0mShane is he deserves to be fired.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, section314 said:

That’s almost the same exact thing fat ass said Friday morning on nfl radio. Is there only one writer on that station?

5 hours ago, flgreen said:

CJ has two jobs. Hire a HC and hire a GM. Those do the rest.

• Upvote 1