Charles Robinson: Jets GM search “very quiet” / “strong skepticism” Manning would consider job

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

The ONLY way Manning comes here is if he gets the same title as Elway. General Manager and President of Football Operations (Which the Jets need in a bad way). That solves the GM spot and the Owners knowing jack sh*t issue.

I would be ecstatic at this point if that would come true. 

Folks defending what has recently transpired with the Jets are looking at MacCagnan’s firing in isolation which is not how you have to look at it. 

This was just the latest in the Jets doing things that is antithetical to prolonged success. 

From the Mangini firing to Rex to Tanny to Idzik to Bowles the Maccagnan , the franchise lurches consistently without an overall plan or strategy. 

When I said this after Bowles was let go and MacCagnan retained folks said there must be a strategic plan.  That was nonsense.

Well IMO the good news  is C.J. has now admitted that the Jets DON’T have a Strategic Plan and they NOW want to hire someone who does and if that person is Peyton Manning, I for one will applaud the move because what we have witnessed the last six or seven years is utter madness.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Folks defending what has recently transpired with the Jets are looking at MacCagnan’s firing in isolation which is not how you have to look at it. 

This was just the latest in the Jets doing things that is antithetical to prolonged success. 

From the Mangini firing to Rex to Tanny to Idzik to Bowles the Maccagnan , the franchise lurches consistently without an overall plan or strategy. 

When I said this after Bowles was let go and MacCagnan retained folks said there must be a strategic plan.  That was nonsense.

Well IMO the good news  is C.J. has now admitted that the Jets DON’T have a Strategic Plan and they NOW want to hire someone who does and if that person is Peyton Manning, I for one will applaud the move because what we have witnessed the last six or seven years is utter madness.  

The first step in correcting a problem is acknowledging you have a problem.

• Upvote 1

On 5/18/2019 at 7:15 PM, jetstream23 said:

I heard the Jets will have an auction with Jets Rewards points to find a fan that will be the GM for the rest of 2019.

That would be a crowded auction, especially with all the people on here who think they can do the job there.....good luck to them...

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

On 5/19/2019 at 8:06 AM, sourceworx said:

So most of the candidates who were speculated to be at the top of their list haven't even been contacted. Makes me think the Peyton Manning rumors are true, and they're going all out for him.

So Joe Robinson might not have been contacted, so he's out.

No idea that Payton Manning is on the list or has been contacted too.  He's our guy.

Some web site contributing blogger thinks to himself, PM recommended Gase to ownership, PM praises Gase as the best O coach he had = Payton Manning being considered for Jets GM position.  Went from a FO position to the top FO in one short step.

Jets fans left clamoring. 

28 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

So you want some type of old football sage with gravitas to oversee the organization including the new GM? Who else besides Peyton would you consider? Somebody like a Parcells or Holmgren?

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Adam Schefy says Peyton Manning is a No-Go 

“he isn’t a target”

The Jets TURNED DOWN Peyton Manning. Let’s start a new thread about it....really fire this place up! Maybe we combine it with “The Jets didn’t offer Mike McCarthy the job” thread? ?

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So Joe Robinson might not have been contacted, so he's out.

No idea that Payton Manning is on the list or has been contacted too.  He's our guy.

Some web site contributing blogger thinks to himself, PM recommended Gase to ownership, PM praises Gase as the best O coach he had = Payton Manning being considered for Jets GM position.  Went from a FO position to the top FO in one short step.

Jets fans left clamoring. 

I don't know either way. There's been conflicting reports from people who are reliable, so this tweet was likely B.S.

I'm probably one of the very few who wouldn't have a problem with Manning as the GM. He was hands-down the most cerebral QB that I've ever seen. If there's any former player that I'd be confident in his ability to know how a team should be assembled, it's him. Yes he doesn't have the scouting background, but we just had a guy with an extensive scouting background, and his drafts were lackluster.

Ozzie Newsome is an interesting name.  I don't think they could be hiring Douglas because they would need a Rooney Rule interview with somebody else first.  Same with Manning, thought it would make sense to have that set up before taking interviews.  I guess they could probably just hire Newsome out of the gate, if they throw enough money his way.  Not sure what the Baldinger RIGHT was about.  He presumably has some ties to the Colts, but he was there a decade before Manning. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Ozzie Newsome is an interesting name.  I don't think they could be hiring Douglas because they would need a Rooney Rule interview with somebody else first.  Same with Manning, thought it would make sense to have that set up before taking interviews.  I guess they could probably just hire Newsome out of the gate, if they throw enough money his way.  Not sure what the Baldinger RIGHT was about.  He presumably has some ties to the Colts, but he was there a decade before Manning. 

These are many of the reasons I posted his name in this thread when I first read the tweet from Baldy. First for me, though, was when Baldy said it's a guy who will change locker room culture and build a roster that will be a contender for years.  Sounds like a job way above Joe Douglass' pay grade right now, but is Ozzie to a tee. Douglass was in Baltimore, probably with Ozzie. Bring Ozzie in to run the show, Douglass as GM , Gase as coach.

Guys like Ozzy and Peyton are not coming here.  This job is beneath guys like that,

This is not a real GM position.  This is GM-Lite. Our GM doesn't hire and fire the coaches and he doesn't have the final say on who to draft or get as a FA.   He's like a GM consultant. 

Prediction - We're getting a no-name rookie like we always do.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, dcJet said:

Guys like Ozzy and Peyton are not coming here.  This job is beneath guys like that,

This is not a real GM position.  This is GM-Lite. Our GM doesn't hire and fire the coaches and he doesn't have the final say on who to draft or get as a FA.   He's like a GM consultant. 

negativity_06.jpg

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, dcJet said:

11 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

negativity_06.jpg

I mean, his avatar is the Mayhem guy, so.....

14 minutes ago, dcJet said:

12 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

negativity_06.jpg

And he was also a Macc guy. 

On 5/15/2019 at 4:12 PM, dcJet said:

I usually agree with your stuff, but not this.   Firing the GM's and coaches is what we do all the time and it's not working.   We need stability.   Mac was growing into the job and improving.  Now we have to start over with another rookie.    

I've seen this show before, ***spoiler alert***   The new GM and coach will be fired in 3 or 4 years.  ***spoiler alert***

Pathetic.  "Growing" into the role.  5 years on the job and he thinks Macc was "growing" into the job and "improving". 

22 hours ago, section314 said:

I know this is out there, but..........any shot they are going after Ozzie Newsome?

IMO best thing they can do is hire Ozzie as a VP of Football Operations to insulate CJ and Woody from decisions related to the on-field product.  I'm not sure he's spry enough anymore to keep up with full GM duties, especially with Gase as HC...

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

So you want some type of old football sage with gravitas to oversee the organization including the new GM? Who else besides Peyton would you consider? Somebody like a Parcells or Holmgren?

I thought Mike Shanahan would be good still has a feel for the game and has a sense of which assistant coaches a team needs and he won’t feel threatened or have an ego bigger than Texas. 

11 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I’m thinking the strategy all along that Gase laid out to the Johnsons was: if you hire me I’ll bring you Peyton ... Peyton gave Gase a glowing endorsement .. he probably wants the job.. the guy know what pieces it takes to build a successful team, look at the Colts after he left nowhere near the same .. and then his dismantling of all the great defenses over his career ... come on people, who could possibly be a better candidate. This may just be our moment #blessup ??