Jump to content
Jetscode1

Why timing was right for New York Jets to fire Mike Maccagnan

Recommended Posts

Good listen.

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that Simms says it was going to be Matt Rhule as HC, Adam Gase as OC and Greg Williams as DC shows what a dysfunction this was, if true. All Type A personalities falling in line was not going to happen.

As for now being the right time, I still disagree. Even if you could bring in your new scouting team to begin for next year the Jets missed multiple opportunities over these few years to pull the trigger to get the right people in now instead of watching us embarrass ourselves on and off the field.

No one would have faulted Johnson for making this move after this past season, nobody. Instead, millions of dollars and an entire draft had to be wasted.

  • Upvote 2
  • Butt Fumble 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is wayyyyy too positive. Please get this out of here immediately. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are wrong.  It was sh*tty timing.  It was the right timing after they totally botched up the HC hire and failed to fire the gm when they should have.  They had a 4 year history of mac and he should have been canned when the coach was.

"It was justifiable that they wanted to move on from mac, but we better let him have one last fa and and draft."

Makes no sense at all.

Now we have handed the whole team to a guy who was supposed to be our OC and failed win Miami.

Gase has 'Rex in Buffalo' written all over him.

  • Upvote 3
  • Butt Fumble 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MasterChiefJets said:

The fact that Simms says it was going to be Matt Rhule as HC, Adam Gase as OC and Greg Williams as DC shows what a dysfunction this was, if true. All Type A personalities falling in line was not going to happen.

As for now being the right time, I still disagree. Even if you could bring in your new scouting team to begin for next year the Jets missed multiple opportunities over these few years to pull the trigger to get the right people in now instead of watching us embarrass ourselves on and off the field.

No one would have faulted Johnson for making this move after this past season, nobody. Instead, millions of dollars and an entire draft had to be wasted.

I agree we do not have an ideal organization or even a respectable one.  The Johnson's have no clue how to run an organization but we did get rid of the guy (besides ownership) most responsible for our current state of ineptitude.  At the end of 2018, the ownership lacked the ability/motivation to blow the whole thing up again.  I'll concede that Gase was not my choice to lead this franchise as HC or even OC and the process they used to create a staff was rife stupidity but after watching the same ole bullsh*t toward roster construction Macc needed to move on.  I'm just glad the dude is gone and hopeful Gase can actually help Darnold reach his potential. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Firing him is a good move....

However hiring him was a horrible decision, and keeping him for as long as they did was another horrible decision.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna try to look at the positive side and say that this could be a good thing looking for a GM while Gase is already HC. Feel like if Gase can be put in a position where he feels comfortable with who's he's working with and trusts then things can really work out well. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Firing him is a good move....

However hiring him was a horrible decision, and keeping him for as long as they did was another horrible decision.

The parameters set by ownership is why the Jets keep cycling through crappy hires....

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bowles was a milktoast coach with balls the size of BBs.

Gase is the total opposite, like Chris Simms said, "Gase I said the bullsh*tter, he tells it like it is". No GM is going to take this job that thinks he won't be on the same page with Adam Gates. The GM that comes in will be what we need. 

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I'm gonna try to look at the positive side and say that this could be a good thing looking for a GM while Gase is already HC. Feel like if Gase can be put in a position where he feels comfortable with who's he's working with and trusts then things can really work out well. 

He's basically hiring the next GM. He better be able to do this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Timing was right, simply because it makes us feel better about what a dumpster fire it was. Mac is gone, which is great. How it was handled, not so great. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

This is wayyyyy too positive. Please get this out of here immediately. 

Yup, fake news.  The sky is falling.  Because the Jets didn't fire Macc in January they shouldn't have fired him now.  You know, because the media and the Jets being a circus and all that.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good listen. Between his podcast breaking down his man crush of QW’s studness and now this... I’m starting to love this guy. Is he a closet Jets fan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

They are wrong.  It was sh*tty timing.  It was the right timing after they totally botched up the HC hire and failed to fire the gm when they should have.  They had a 4 year history of mac and he should have been canned when the coach was.

"It was justifiable that they wanted to move on from mac, but we better let him have one last fa and and draft."

Makes no sense at all.

Now we have handed the whole team to a guy who was supposed to be our OC and failed win Miami.

Gase has 'Rex in Buffalo' written all over him.

how can you not win in Miami with a wood brain like Ryan Tannehill, or an old Jay Cutler?

 

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

I'm gonna try to look at the positive side and say that this could be a good thing looking for a GM while Gase is already HC. Feel like if Gase can be put in a position where he feels comfortable with who's he's working with and trusts then things can really work out well. 

Gase is  better football guy than Macc.  Glorified scouts do not compare to coaches.  We are better off at this point.  Do not think hiring a Peyton is a good idea, howev er

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

I'm gonna try to look at the positive side and say that this could be a good thing looking for a GM while Gase is already HC. Feel like if Gase can be put in a position where he feels comfortable with who's he's working with and trusts then things can really work out well. 

Gase does not want to negotiate contracts, or evaluate front office personnel, or sit in on large trade discussions.  He wants someone else to do that.  But he has to win on Sunday, and he does not need a GM strategizing on how to do that.  he also needs players who can play hsi system.  What is the Maccagnan system, by the way?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Gase does not want to negotiate contracts, or evaluate front office personnel, or sit in on large trade discussions.  He wants someone else to do that.  But he has to win on Sunday, and he does not need a GM strategizing on how to do that.  he also needs players who can play hsi system.  What is the Maccagnan system, by the way?

IMO...his strategy was not to lose earn an F on the draft grade.  Consistently picked the "chalk" player in round one...then then hope for a lotto victory.  From the reports he didn't care how the roster filled out...just picked according to some perceived value on his board...may help to explain why we saw Sheldon Richardson plugged into OLB.  So not sad to see him gone.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, jack48 said:

how can you not win in Miami with a wood brain like Ryan Tannehill, or an old Jay Cutler?

 

Gase is  better football guy than Macc.  Glorified scouts do not compare to coaches.  We are better off at this point.  Do not think hiring a Peyton is a good idea, howev er

Guess who wanted Jay Cutler to be his QB and who was brought in to make Tannehill into a franchise QB?

Also HUH?  A cat would be about as good as mac.  Saying 'mac sucks there for a coach is a better gm' is setting the bar very low.

Coaches do not watch tape and scout college guys all year long.  They cram some tape watching out of the season and in many cases are not qualified at all to be picking he players.

Mac should have been fired when boles was, a gm should have been hire who would then hire his coach and thus have both on the same page from day one.

Instead the Jets fire the coach (which was the proper move).  Have a coaching search in which apparently they never really took the steps to see if the coach and gm were on the same page.  And then after letting the lame duck DM set the team up for the next few years with fa and the draft then fire him.

Such a simple thing and out owner/ceo can't even make the simplest, most logical move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Guess who wanted Jay Cutler to be his QB and who was brought in to make Tannehill into a franchise QB?

Also HUH?  A cat would be about as good as mac.  Saying 'mac sucks there for a coach is a better gm' is setting the bar very low.

Coaches do not watch tape and scout college guys all year long.  They cram some tape watching out of the season and in many cases are not qualified at all to be picking he players.

Mac should have been fired when boles was, a gm should have been hire who would then hire his coach and thus have both on the same page from day one.

Instead the Jets fire the coach (which was the proper move).  Have a coaching search in which apparently they never really took the steps to see if the coach and gm were on the same page.  And then after letting the lame duck DM set the team up for the next few years with fa and the draft then fire him.

Such a simple thing and out owner/ceo can't even make the simplest, most logical move.

but Tannehill was not capable.  Some guys--most guys---are not capable.  Tannehill was a sow's ear, and is backing up now in Tennessee.  And yes, Macc should have been fired in January or whatever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with just about everything said in this video.   The Jets are imperfect right now, but for the narrative to go from "an improving team and a sleeper pick to make the playoffs" to "a total clown show" because of Maccagnan's firing this week is ridiculous.

The main criticism of the move has been the timing.  "Why let Maccagnan run free agency and the draft if you were going to dump him?  He should have been fired with Bowles in January."  Do we really think that a new GM could have relocated, put a staff together, and been ready to handle the most import free agency period and draft in recent history within a month or so?  The offseason for GMs starts now, and that's when the move is being made. 

If we can land the right GM for the job (a big "if", I know), this whole affair will turn into a major positive, instead of the ugly "sh*t show" that everyone is making it out to be.

  • Like 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jetscode1 said:

Good listen.

 

How dare you find something that's well thought out and reasonable!!!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

Timing was years overdue

Agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jack48 said:

but Tannehill was not capable.  Some guys--most guys---are not capable.  Tannehill was a sow's ear, and is backing up now in Tennessee.  And yes, Macc should have been fired in January or whatever

Tannehill stinks.  How any coach could ever make a playoff with that dud is amazing 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Tannehill stinks.  How any coach could ever make a playoff with that dud is amazing 

Tannehill was a wood head. You could coach him til smoke came out of your ears.  On the field he was still going to do dumb, Geno it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...