Leo not apart of the Jets plans?

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Great moment in NY Jets football. 

Beats the photo of you on the balcony at the assisted living facility showing off your yard sale,sewer find gold trinkets. 

Woah, buddy, you’re lucky you didn’t insert a mom line in there or it might’ve of been a little over the top. 

In the next 2 years the Jets have to replace both tackles, both guards and upgrade the Center spot. You can't invest $16 million per year into a non producing DT when you need to rebuild the entire offensive line. That's why this draft it was so important to start building a younger cheaper offensive line to protect your franchise QB. Macc really ****ed us.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2

16 hours ago, genot said:

Anderson had 250 less snaps than Leo last year. They knew he was in to rush, and got doubled.

But he was still on the field at the same time as Leo on those passing downs. So Leo would be rushing the passer as well. Are you admitting Anderson is a better pass rusher so that's why teams doubled him on passing downs? Your comment doesn't help Leo

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

13 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Quinnen pick is only worth it if they're hanging on to Leo. If they just used the #3 overall pick to replace the #6 overall pick who was used to replace another 1st round pick...well friends, that's what us in the business call a cycle.

That's exactly why I was so mad about the Quinnen pick. It doesn't make this team better at all. All Macc did was replace Leo. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

They seriously just need to make the switch to a 4-3 defense. Henry/Quinnen/Leo/whoever the **** on the line is much more effective then trying to rotate around and fit snaps around your best DL.

It's hard to make that switch when they've invested nothing into actual 4-3 DE's. They currently don't have one player on the team that can rush from those DE spots. They have a roster full of DT's. We should be great in Goaline situations though.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, RobR said:

Jamal and Darnold are worth the money. You can get Leo like production from a later draft pick, so why invest even more money into the one position this loser franchise has been doing for the last decade with the same results?

Mods: Can we create a 1/2 buttfumble.

Leo isn't bad, but definitely hasn't come close to living up to the hype at this point.  Honestly, I'd have no problem talking with him about a new deal now, while he's still got a full year left on his current contract, with the catch being the offer will be based entirely on his on-field production and nothing more.  That means the offer comes in at the reasonable price of a mid-level starter at DT.  I imagine he probably wouldn't take such a deal, as he seems to think more of himself than how he's performed, but there's only one way to find out.  If he scoffs at the offer, then you start listening to trade offers from other teams, and if nothing worthwhile comes from that, you let him play out his deal.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, MykePM said:

So trade something significant for nothing, from a 2019 season perspective?  Would you give your car to someone now if they agreed to pay you for it next year?

2nd round pick is not nothing, and Leo will not re re-signed.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

2nd round pick is not nothing, and Leo will not re re-signed.

The "Leo won't be signed" theory was in doubt while Macc was still here. Now that he's not I think he'll be gone. Gase has a history of making sure he gets something for players he has no intention of keeping like every GM should.

I wouldn't be shocked if he traded Robbie as well. He did trade Landry who was way better at that point then what Robbie is right now He doesn't care about public perception, Macc did.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

7 hours ago, choon328 said:

In the next 2 years the Jets have to replace both tackles, both guards and upgrade the Center spot. You can't invest $16 million per year into a non producing DT when you need to rebuild the entire offensive line. That's why this draft it was so important to start building a younger cheaper offensive line to protect your franchise QB. Macc really ****ed us.

Macc really ***ed us?

More like Gase prevented Macc from ***ing us

Macc would have stuck us with another $90 million behemoth disaster contract for Leo

Now next season we can use our draft picks plus $47 million in cap room to upgrade the OL

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

The "Leo won't be signed" theory was in doubt while Macc was still here. Now that he's not I think he'll be gone. Gase has a history of making sure he gets something for players he has no intention of keeping like every GM should.

I wouldn't be shocked if he traded Robbie as well. He did trade Landry who was way better at that point then what Robbie is right now He doesn't care about public perception, Macc did.

What in Mac’s track record makes you think he wasn’t about to give Leo a crazy extension?

Let's assume that Leo is worth a 2021 3rd round compensatory pick, which we can only gain if we avoid signing too many UFA's next offseason.

That works out to him currently being worth a 2020 4th round pick.  So if we trade him now, I'd take a 4th for him.  No less. 

It's unlikely we'd get a 4th for him at this stage, given that any team who trades for him would clearly be doing so with the intent to sign him to a pricey extension.

I vote we keep him, and hope our next GM is a lot smarter in playing the comp pick game than his predecessor.  Those picks have never been more valuable, especially considering that they can be traded.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

@Philc1 did we decide to rebuild and clean house before the season even starts. 

Why keep Leo another season?  There is 0.0 reason to extend him he hasn’t been good.  We drafted a better player who plays the same position in Quinnen and we also have Anderson who clearly outplayed Leo last year

Smart organizations trade players to get assets before they become free agents 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Let's assume that Leo is worth a 2021 3rd round compensatory pick, which we can only gain if we avoid signing too many UFA's next offseason.

That works out to him currently being worth a 2020 4th round pick.  So if we trade him now, I'd take a 4th for him.  No less. 

It's unlikely we'd get a 4th for him at this stage, given that any team who trades for him would clearly be doing so with the intent to sign him to a pricey extension.

We got a 2nd for Sheldon just before the 2017 season.  Now Sheldon was better but I could see some team that needs D-line like say Kansas City coming to us making an offer

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Seriously?  I think teams would line up to give up a 4th .  What about him makes him worse than Sheldon at the stage he was traded?  People wanted to fellate Macagnan for trading a 7th for a year of Henry Anderson, you don't think you could get a 4th for Williams with a better pedigree and none of the injury concerns?  

The interesting thing about that piece to me is the part where they say Bowles had been lobbying to lock him up.  People wanted to blame the sh*tty GM'ing on Bowles.  Maybe he was the good influence. 

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Seriously?  I think teams would line up to give up a 4th .  What about him makes him worse than Sheldon at the stage he was traded?  People wanted to fellate Macagnan for trading a 7th for year of Henry Anderson, you don't think you could get a 4th for WIlliams with a better pedigree and none of the injury concerns?  

The interesting thing about that piece to me is the part where they say Bowles had been lobbying to lock him up.  People wanted to blame the sh*tty GM'ing on Bowles.  Maybe he was the good influence.  

When played in the proper position, Sheldon proved capable of rushing the passer with consistency.  8.0 sacks, 11 TFL's, 1 FF in 2014 before he started getting played at LB in 2015.  Williams has had 7 sacks in the last 2 seasons combined.  Williams and Richardson weren't the same kind of player or on the same level in terms of value.

If Williams were worth more than a 4th, my guess is he'd have been traded by Gase already like Darron Lee was. 

22 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Why keep Leo another season?  There is 0.0 reason to extend him he hasn’t been good.  We drafted a better player who plays the same position in Quinnen and we also have Anderson who clearly outplayed Leo last year

Smart organizations trade players to get assets before they become free agents 

Wait so we draft players at #1 discard them after a few seasons and then re-draft the same position to replace them at #1 is that how we are doing things. 

No wonder its been 50 years.........

Smart organizations still have players on the roster who they chose as #1 draft picks in the last 7 years.

Q Williams and H Anderson can only benefit from L Williams and vice versa 

Im not so sure about McClendon,Sheperd,Fatkusi etc are you. 

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

When played in the proper position, Sheldon proved capable of rushing the passer with consistency.  8.0 sacks, 11 TFL's, 1 FF in 2014 before he started getting played at LB in 2015.  Williams has had 7 sacks in the last 2 seasons combined.  Williams and Richardson weren't the same kind of player or on the same level in terms of value.

If Williams were worth more than a 4th, my guess is he'd have been traded by Gase already like Darron Lee was. 

Williams is a much better player than Darron Lee.  Williams may not be a difference maker, but he is a plus starter.  Your comparison to Sheldon is fairly ridiculous.  8 sacks and 11 TFL?  My ******* hero   You know who had 11 TFL in 2018?  Leonard Williams.  Williams had 7 sacks and 11 TFL in 2016.  That is 3 seasons before the proposed trade, just like Richardson's 2014. In the following 2 years Richardson combined for 6.5.  Sounds familiar, no?  More importantly, Richardson was a known knucklehead (dating back to Mizzou) who had served suspensions for both personal conduct and substance abuse.  I don't think Williams is worth much more than a 4th, but at a 4th I'd keep him and start him even if I planned to let him walk in 2020. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Wait so we draft players at #1 discard them after a few seasons and then re-draft the same position to replace them at #1 is that how we are doing things. 

No wonder its been 50 years.........

Smart organizations still have players on the roster who they chose as #1 draft picks in the last 7 years.

Q Williams and H Anderson can only benefit from L Willaims and vice versa 

Im not so sure about McClendon,Sheperd,Fatkusi etc are you.  

Those were Mike Maccagnan draft picks.  Yes, smart organizations draft good players, not ones whose value depreciates from an early 1st to a 4th.  But we can't do anything about those bad picks now.  If we hold out for a 2nd rounder for Leo, its never going to happen.  Just like no one was going to pay a 5th or more for Darron Lee.  You take what the market gives you.

When a new regime comes in, they clean house.  As they should. 

And I don't care about McClendon, Shepherd or Fatukaski.  They have little to do with our plans on the D-Line longterm.  We have Quinnen Williams and Henry Anderson, and our new GM will likely opt to bring in fresh talent on the D-Line.  Gregg Williams (or our new DC) will just have to work with what he has.  We've invested in a ton of draft assets on the DL.  Now its time to invest those resources elsewhere.