Mike Westhoff: Jets took' dunce' hat back from Giants

Ex-Jets coach wonders what Adam Gase earned, thinks Gang Green took 'dunce' hat back from Giants

usatsi_11997870.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

By: Spencer Aber | 5 hours ago

Former Jets special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff is quite skeptical of new Jets head coach Adam Gase.

Gase essentially won a power struggle between him and former general manager Mike Maccagnan, with the latter being fired last week. With Maccagnan’s departure, Gase was given the title of interim GM and will assit the search for a full-time replacement, who will most likely have previous ties to the head coach.

Clearly, the Jets — namely CEO Christopher Johnson — are trusting Gase with a lot. However, Westhoff doesn’t understand what Gase has done in the NFL for New York to put so much stock in him.

“I’m really curious as to what he’s earned,” Westhoff told NJ.com. “Look at his record in Miami.”

Gase went 23-25 in Miami and made the playoffs only once in three seasons, failing to win a postseason game. Meanwhile, he had difficulty getting along with some of his players and dealt them if there was an issue. Gase also rubbed some people in the Dolphins organization the wrong way, which is part of the reason he was fired.

As for the Jets, they actually looked like the most competent team in New York for a while before the drama with Gase and Maccafnan. They had a strong offseason and are ready to take the next step after a few years of rebuilding. But of course the Jets found a way to put themselves back in the spotlight, firing their GM after a massive spending spree and the draft.

“It’s almost like the Giants were wearing the dunce hat in the city,” Westhoff said, “and all of a sudden, the Jets came along and took it.”

Inhabit;ord=6480924406989.359;dc_seg=756255014?
  • Upvote 1

Plus, Westhoff doesn’t like how Gase handled his biggest game as the Broncos’ offensive coordinator — the 43-8 Super Bowl loss to Seattle, after the 2013 season.

“I can still picture [how] Denver had a straight five-man protection and Seattle [was] running five million things, and [the Broncos] never adjusted,” Westhoff said. "I thought it was a terrible offensive game plan, and Seattle killed them. I was wondering what made him so good on offense, because I sure didn’t see it that night.

“I’m not knocked out on the guy. What do you want me to say? I don’t know everything there is to know about him, but what I do know, I’m not knocked out. Maybe he’ll be fine. Maybe he is a heck of a coach. What I’ve seen, how does he carry the weight to have an argument with the general manager? I guess I’m not convinced.”

https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/05/as-jets-give-adam-gase-more-power-im-really-curious-as-to-what-hes-earned-says-this-ex-nfl-coach.html

Mike certainly isn't convinced. What a great football mind the Jets let go.

• Upvote 4

Plus, Westhoff doesn’t like how Gase handled his biggest game as the Broncos’ offensive coordinator — the 43-8 Super Bowl loss to Seattle, after the 2013 season.

“I can still picture [how] Denver had a straight five-man protection and Seattle [was] running five million things, and [the Broncos] never adjusted,” Westhoff said. "I thought it was a terrible offensive game plan, and Seattle killed them. I was wondering what made him so good on offense, because I sure didn’t see it that night.

“I’m not knocked out on the guy. What do you want me to say? I don’t know everything there is to know about him, but what I do know, I’m not knocked out. Maybe he’ll be fine. Maybe he is a heck of a coach. What I’ve seen, how does he carry the weight to have an argument with the general manager? I guess I’m not convinced.”

https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/05/as-jets-give-adam-gase-more-power-im-really-curious-as-to-what-hes-earned-says-this-ex-nfl-coach.html

Mike certainly isn't convinced. What a great football mind the Jets let go.

I brought up that SB up a couple times here. Inexcusable performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, MasterChiefJets said:

Ex-Jets coach wonders what Adam Gase earned, thinks Gang Green took 'dunce' hat back from Giants

Former Jets special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff is quite skeptical of new Jets head coach Adam Gase.

Gase essentially won a power struggle between him and former general manager Mike Maccagnan, with the latter being fired last week. With Maccagnan’s departure, Gase was given the title of interim GM and will assit the search for a full-time replacement, who will most likely have previous ties to the head coach.

Clearly, the Jets — namely CEO Christopher Johnson — are trusting Gase with a lot. However, Westhoff doesn’t understand what Gase has done in the NFL for New York to put so much stock in him.

“I’m really curious as to what he’s earned,” Westhoff told NJ.com. “Look at his record in Miami.”

Gase went 23-25 in Miami and made the playoffs only once in three seasons, failing to win a postseason game. Meanwhile, he had difficulty getting along with some of his players and dealt them if there was an issue. Gase also rubbed some people in the Dolphins organization the wrong way, which is part of the reason he was fired.

As for the Jets, they actually looked like the most competent team in New York for a while before the drama with Gase and Maccafnan. They had a strong offseason and are ready to take the next step after a few years of rebuilding. But of course the Jets found a way to put themselves back in the spotlight, firing their GM after a massive spending spree and the draft.

“It’s almost like the Giants were wearing the dunce hat in the city,” Westhoff said, “and all of a sudden, the Jets came along and took it.”

I respect what Mike has to say. I think the Jets should have hired him long ago to be HC. Be that as it may, I think our situation will work out positively. There's too many attractive qualities about the job for the Jets not to land a good GM.

• Upvote 1

All these "sky is falling" articles are ridiculous.  Westhoff must not realize that Gase is our INTERIM GM.  

"What has he done to earn it?" We fired our GM and our VP of Player Personnel.  He is our INTERIM GM by default. Were they supposed to promote the head of Strength and Conditioning?  He'll spend all of maybe 7 days in that position, and then we'll hire a GM who couldn't possibly be worse than Mac.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

All these "sky is falling" articles are ridiculous.  Westhoff must not realize that Gase is our INTERIM GM.  
"What has he done to earn it?" We fired our GM and our VP of Player Personnel.  He is our INTERIM GM by default. Were they supposed to promote the head of Strength and Conditioning?  He'll spend all of maybe 7 days in that position, and then we'll hire a GM who couldn't possibly be worse than Mac.  

This is being overlooked because the media is not being smart with the coverage and being cowboys in terms writing articles......they know everything they write about the Jets will be retweeted and shared either by fragile fans or by others news outlets as clickbait. Anyone with mobile can be a “sports journalist” just make sh*t up and people will believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3

I absolutely love Mike Westhoff, appreciate everything he did during his time here and respect his football intellect and skills as a coach

That being said, this seems like more piling on and a little bit of "sour grapes", stemming from the Jets refusal to consider him for the top job here, when he was with the organization and since.  He's better than that.

Adam Gase is the "interim General Manager".  He will function in that capacity for mere weeks, if that long.  He is not going to blow up the team, make major trades, or "reinvent the wheel".  That's not why he was brought here.  What's with the hysteria?  Just fabricating "news".

If he does stay in the position for any period of time, the car keys need to be taken from Chris Johnson, and returned to mommy.  Methinks that won't be necessary.  Once the season starts, the "dunce hat" will return to the Giants, hopefully for a long time....

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Westhoff should talk. He didn’t always get along with everyone. Gase recognized that Mac was a lousy gm. It’s to his credit if the owner came around to agree with him. It all comes down to results anyway. If Gase doesn’t win it’s is job that goes next. 

• Upvote 2

Westhoff had some BAD special teams in his last few years so he shouldn't talk like he's some kind of know it all.

So Leon Washington got us the ball on the 45 because Westy taught him how to down a ball on the sideline by having one foot out of bounds.

Ooh. Honestly, I'm sick of some of these football coaches thinking their teaching the Big Bang Theory. Threw that in for Kelly.

9 hours ago, static14 said:

Westhoff was a good special teams coach, but it’s called a dunce cap, not a dunce hat. He can jog on.

Actually I have heard it both ways.  A little Googling will show that this is true.  The typical conical one (see below) is clearly a hat and not a cap.

In any event not as clear enough mistake to call someone out on it.

Dunce Hat | Zazzle.com

15 hours ago, MasterChiefJets said:

In other words, Mike knows nothing abut the guy a nd is working off headlines

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, docdhc said:

Westhoff should talk. He didn’t always get along with everyone. Gase recognized that Mac was a lousy gm. It’s to his credit if the owner came around to agree with him. It all comes down to results anyway. If Gase doesn’t win it’s is job that goes next. 

Mike resents anyone who got a head coach job.  He was always dying to be a HC and could not get there. He is a very resentful guy.  Smart, but too opinionated.  And his logic,of course, is flawed.  What had McVay "earned" before he was hired.  Or Nagy?  Or Gruden?  What each of them got was a quality QB.  So we shll see, right , Mike?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Westy must not have been aware who our general manager was if he had to ask this. ;-) 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I love when people just cite his record without looking at what they actually did.  He made the playoffs (only 2nd playoff app since 2002 and only one in a year Brady was healthy) with a combo of Ryan Tannehill and matt Moore.  He kept a team without a QB afloat for the next 2 years.  I'm concerned about the power play to get macc fired but as a HC?  He's a major upgrade from what we just had.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I posted this idea before the ouster of our GM when there was only speculation about the rift.

Once Gase gets here and sees the Jets brains trust at work from the inside he probably made an evaluation pretty quickly that Macc was going to be a dead man walking at some point fairly soon.  One or two years longer and both would likely be washed away in a single event and then Mr Gase would have two consecutive strikes against him.  Not a good spot to be in.

I think the only path to survival for Gase meant that he needed to be a part of the ouster and not simply road kill when it inevitably happened later on.

If I am right and this is the way it happened i am not sure it makes him any better of a football coach but it does make him a ruthless bastid who thinks quickly on his feet.  For now he is on a short leash but I am fine with a ruthless bastid working for my team.

Look, Mike Tannenbaum was also pretty ruthless about how he rose through the Jets back office ranks and that was not a great outcome for the Jets but for now and since we cannot reasonably hope for a change in ownership, we has to cross our fingers and hope.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I love when people just cite his record without looking at what they actually did.  He made the playoffs (only 2nd playoff app since 2002 and only one in a year Brady was healthy) with a combo of Ryan Tannehill and matt Moore.  He kept a team without a QB afloat for the next 2 years.  I'm concerned about the power play to get macc fired but as a HC?  He's a major upgrade from what we just had.

Not only this but the gm will also be an upgrade.

the main way to evaluate mccagnan as a gm is, how did his draft picks do after the first round. B/c he was generally picking so high up in round 1 that taking the safest player had the lowest bust chance.  If we went back and read all the articles about bowles and mccagnan around the national media in December the general consensus was that they should both go.

5 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

From you own link...

Hat Cap
Definition The hat is a headgear, which usually has the shape crown and the brim. A cap is a kind of soft, flat hat without a brim and typically with a peak.

The point i was trying to make was that Dunce Hat and Dunce Cap are interchangeable in this context with neither term being incorrect.  And so calling someone out for using one vs. the other is not correct..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunce#Dunce_cap

"A dunce cap, also variously known as a dunce hat, dunce's cap or dunce's hat, is a pointed hat, formerly used as an article of discipline in schools in Europe and the United States.[3][4] In popular culture, it is typically made of paper and often marked with a D or the word "dunce", and given to unruly schoolchildren to wear. Frequently the 'dunce' was made to stand in the corner, facing the wall. The hope was that no one would want to be labelled the "dunce" in the class, even for a short period of time, and would thus avoid misbehaviour.[citation needed] Examples of behaviour which could warrant the dunce cap included throwing spitballs, passing notes, or pulling of hair. Class clowns were frequently admonished with the dunce cap.

In modern pedagogy, dunce caps are extremely rare....(and so on)"

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Not only this but the gm will also be an upgrade.

the main way to evaluate mccagnan as a gm is, how did his draft picks do after the first round. B/c he was generally picking so high up in round 1 that taking the safest player had the lowest bust chance.  If we went back and read all the articles about bowles and mccagnan around the national media in December the general consensus was that they should both go.

Take the highlighted one step further.....the idea that the guy running this organization was afraid to do it the rational way because he didn't think he could conduct two searches at once. No multi-tasking allowed in Florham Park, at least not in the big chair.