Breer On GM Search

KRL

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/05/20/colts-2019-offseason-chris-ballard-chris-long-retirement-patrick-peterson-suspension-mmqb

2. We detailed much of the acrimony within the Jets organization in Thursday’s Game Plan. So where do the Jets go from here? The process of finding a new GM will start in earnest this week. It’ll be led by owner Christopher Johnson. Coach/interim GM Adam Gase will be a part of it. And I’m told the team will not retain a search firm. The Jets can afford to be patient, of course, since there’s no competition for candidates. It’s worth mentioning that Johnson emphasized skills for communication and leadership—non-scouting attributes that go into unifying a building in a way the Jets have struggled to do over the better part of this decade. Gase did address his coaches this week and told them that the process wouldn’t drag out. But I don’t get the sense that there’s a rush to get someone into the building.

3. That said, if Eagles VP Joe Douglas is willing to come, and I’m the Jets, I offer him the job tomorrow. And not only because he’s really good, but also because he’s so connected, and could, in time, build the kind of robust staff that Chris Ballard has in Indianapolis (well-regarded Philly scouting directors Ian Cunningham and Andy Weidl followed Douglas there from Baltimore). If it’s not Douglas? Four names that should be brought up in any GM search (in alphabetical order): Tennessee’s Ryan Cowden, Indy’s Ed Dodds, Dallas’s Will McClay and Minnesota’s George Paton. Three of the four have been in the mix for a bunch of jobs the last couple years and the fourth, Dodds (who used to be Seattle GM John Schneider’s secret weapon), might be the fastest rising star in the scouting world.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Couple of things- how much is Gase getting paid and are the Johnson's willing to pay the GM more than the coach? The pay is and always has been the sticking point with these things. You're not getting top candidates at 3 mill per.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Am I reading this right? Emphasis on communication skills, not scouting? 

So basically, just need someone that can get along with the nut job coach we are saddling you with. Cant imagine why anyone wouldnt want this job.

Just hire Mrs. Gase and get it over with already. 

• Thumb Down 3

33 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Am I reading this right? Emphasis on communication skills, not scouting? 

So basically, just need someone that can get along with the nut job coach we are saddling you with. Cant imagine why anyone wouldnt want this job.

Just hire Mrs. Gase and get it over with already. 

No you're reading it totally wrong. 

Unreal, how some can turn these simple stories inside out.

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

This is what I said when Macc was fired. Anybody the Jets hire will be painted as a Gase puppet

They're hiring a GM.  But that leads you to think Gase wants the job, screw what he says.

Painted a puppet by who exactly? That would be interesting given a JDouglas, a highly regarded candidate doesn't have a choice?  Head of personnel in Philly or puppet in NY.

Makes no sense

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

They're hiring a GM.  But that leads you to think Gase wants the job, screw what he says.

Painted a puppet by who exactly? That would be interesting given a JDouglas, a highly regarded candidate doesn't have a choice?  Head of personnel in Philly or puppet in NY.

Makes no sense

I’d be willing to bet nearly any team with a GM vacancy would see Joe Douglas as a first choice. 

He’ll be much more than a puppet based off pure scouting ability and connections within the league.

• Upvote 3

Jets’ Adam Gase breaks silence, says he had nothing to do with GM Mike Maccagnan being fired in ‘power struggle’ 

Updated 4:05 PM; Today 3:28 PM

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Jets coach Adam Gase on Monday made his first comments about the team’s firing of general manager Mike Maccagnan, who lost an apparent four-month power struggle to Gase.

Gase was asked for his reaction to the Maccagnan firing — and whether he agrees or disagrees with the notion that he had anything to do with it.

“I disagree with that, as far as a power struggle,” Gase told reporters Monday. “Because whoever is getting hired [as the new GM] is going to have the same role — control of the roster. I will coach the football team. That’s what I’m going to do. Nothing is changing in that structure.”

Gase said he felt “surprised” when acting owner Christopher Johnsontold him Tuesday night that Maccagnan was fired. The decision was announced Wednesday.

“That’s what it was,” Gase said. “He’s the owner. In this business, [expletive] like that happens all the time. It happened to me last year [when the Dolphins fired Gase]. I think that’s what it is. I mean, I work for [Johnson]. That’s how we’re aligned, is the GM and the head coach both report to the owner. That’s the way it is."

Gase was not expected to address the Maccagnan firing Monday. He was expected to wait until his Thursday press conference — after the Jets’ first open organized team activities practice (and third OTAs session overall) — to address the matter.

But Gase decided he wanted to say something anyway Monday, a day before the Jets begin OTAs. Gase answered just that one question about Maccagnan’s firing. He deferred further questions to Thursday’s press conference.

With Gase (now the interim GM) yet to even coach a training camp practice, the Jets are currently seeking a replacement for Maccagnan, who had been on the job since 2015.

Eagles vice president of player personnel Joe Douglas is considered the favorite, as he has a previous relationship with Gase and could presumably work well with him — something Maccagnan couldn’t do. Gase and Douglas worked together for one season, 2015, with the Bears. Gase was offensive coordinator, Douglas college scouting director. They’re friends.

Even though Johnson has said the new GM will have the same complete control over the 53-man roster that Maccagnan had, it’s pretty clear Gase now has at least some increased personnel-decisions influence in the organization, since he will help pick the new GM — and since that GM’s outlook on building a team surely will align largely with Gase’s.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, ryu79 said:

If they didn't have Douglas (or someone in the bag) the timing of the Macc firing seemed an unnecessary own goal...

Really hope they do and this is the start of something positive for once...

There has to be something more to this. Maybe Johnson brought Mac in and told him to get his sh*t together and play nice with Gase, and Mac told him to **** off. Who knows? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The sooner we hire a GM the better as the days go on this organization is looking really bad. 

No, not really. It’s May. It’s the fan histrionics as usual that have created the air of tension.

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The sooner we hire a GM the better as the days go on this organization is looking really bad. 

Purely in your head.  No one is looking for a GM, theres no competition and your idea is to rush ahead because you just have to see someone hired.

• Upvote 1