Gase making moves - Signs Punter Matt Darr

"The Jets added a punter Monday, signing free agent Matt Darr to a contract.

Darr, 26, played five games with the Buffalo Bills last season while averaging 40.5 yards per punt and posting a net average of 36.3.

Prior to joining the Bills, the 6’1”, 217-pound Darr spent two seasons in Miami including the 2016 campaign under current Jets head coach Adam Gase. During those two years, he had a gross punting average of 46 and a net putting average of 39.8. For his career, Barr has had 33% of his punts (67 of 202) downed inside the opposition 20-yard-line.

Darr joins incumbent punter Lachlan Edwards on the roster."

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Edwards, 251 Punts, 1 blocked, 44.6 Avg., (40.8, 46.6, 45.9 in his three seasons).

Darr, 202 Punts, o Blocked, 45.4 Avg. (47.6, 44.3, 40.5 in his three seasons).

Similar performance, but reversed trending, Edwards getting better, Darr getting worse, over both their first three years in the league.

Interesting that Darr's average dropped considerably under Gase, did the Dolphins have alot of short-field punts those two years, limiting the punter's average?

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 2

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Darr was with Buffalo last year and only played 5 games for the BIlls; all in December.  Just playing one cold month in Buffalo probably hurt his average. 

Am I really this desperate to talk about on field stuff that I am out here looking up a punter's game logs?  Just the way this offseason has gone, I guess.

Ah, you're quite right.  92 in Mia, 90 in Mia, 20 in Buffalo.  That would certainly speak to how he could fall down to 40.

So yup, very similar players looks like.  Competition is always a good thing, so probably a good pickup just for that purpose alone.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Edwards, 251 Punts, 1 blocked, 44.6 Avg., (40.8, 46.6, 45.9 in his three seasons).

Similar performance, but reversed trending, Edwards getting better, Darr getting worse, over both their first three years in the league.

Interesting that Darr's average dropped considerably under Gase, did the Dolphins have alot of short-field punts those two years, limiting the punter's average?

is average punt the best metric to evaluate a punter with? I'm not asking to say it's not, rather to open the discussion.

I imagine there are some other, possibly more useful, metrics available. Pinning the opponent deep in their own territory and fair catches maybe?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

is average punt the best metric to evaluate a punter with? I'm not asking to say it's not, rather to open the discussion.

I imagine there are some other, possibly more useful, metrics available. Pinning the opponent deep in their own territory and fair catches maybe?

Avg. punt and Inside the 20 are really the only two metrics I'm aware of in terms of stats. 

And my source (Pro Football Reference) doesn't seem to have Inside the 20 or Fair Caught or Return Yards (which is in part on the punter) as stats sadly.

I'd love to see those numbers tho if someone else has them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

could be Darr is better at kicking away from the returners.  imo both these guys are similar.  maybe it's a contractual issue.

Ah, you're quite right.  92 in Mia, 90 in Mia, 20 in Buffalo.  That would certainly speak to how he could fall down to 40.

So yup, very similar players looks like.  Competition is always a good thing, so probably a good pickup just for that purpose alone.

I'm not looking up his home/away/outside/dome/sun/snow/wind games), but if the weather did have a major impact on his distance, then he's a bad fit here. The weather in NJ is a wee bit more similar to Buffalo than to Miami. Never mind that 5/6 of our divisional games are played in the northeast every year (though all are certainly not played in the dead of winter). 

Since his guaranteed amount is probably a number at or close to zero, I see no problem having another leg in camp even if it's just to prevent the possibility of Edwards getting lazy/complacent. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

at some point every Jets HC/GM takes a good hard look at the roster and thinks 

sh*t. We're going to need a better punter 

In a groundbreaking approach to roster management we'll carry two punters, so the second is fresh for the second half of the schedule. :D

• Upvote 1

Just now, varjet said:

I am just surprised that Gase found the time to do this.  The punters agent must have called. 

For a minor move this gives me a bad Gase vibe.  I can this ending just miserably. 

Over a camp leg, really?

There's plenty of other reasons to see this ending poorly.  How is this even on the Top 100 list?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Takes Darron Lee's spot - never hurts to have some competition at the kicker spots.  I fully expect another PK to be brought in soon as well.  One of the UDFAs will probably be cut after the next round of OTAs

If they could only get 6 points instead of 3.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Avg. punt and Inside the 20 are really the only two metrics I'm aware of in terms of stats. 

And my source (Pro Football Reference) doesn't seem to have Inside the 20 or Fair Caught or Return Yards (which is in part on the punter) as stats sadly.

I'd love to see those numbers tho if someone else has them.

I think the best you can do is compare Avg. Punt to Net Return Yards while also taking into consideration the number inside of the 20 and touch backs.