Jets Waive Leggett

What do we gain by cutting him vs. having him as a camp body for his minimal salary?

I asked the same question. I don’t get it. I’m not really seeing the benefit of cutting a guy like Leggett at this point in the process. I’m not all that upset about it overall but I would think Legget has more contribution potential than Thomlinson. No?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I asked the same question. I don’t get it. I’m not really seeing the benefit of cutting a guy like Leggett at this point in the process. I’m not all that upset about it overall but I would think Legget has more contribution potential than Thomlinson. No?

I doubt Legget could match Tomlinson’s false start numbers. He may be the GOAT for this stat. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

What do we gain by cutting him vs. having him as a camp body for his minimal salary?

Because we have four other TEs. Why waste having him take reps and a roster spot in camp when we can bring players that actually can make the team.

41 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

The thing about this camp body aspect is that if you know a player is not in your plans then use that spot on a player that may be in the teams plans.

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

This makes no sense to me.  Why not see how it shakes out in TC?  The guy has talent, he might need motivation but he seemed to be improving last year.

Someone asked why we dont want Gase as GM?  Here is a good reason-he has no investment in or knowledge of the current players and yet he is cutting them.

We have too many TEs that aren't good.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Dumb move, I want to give Peepers a chance as coach but we really need to sign

a highly regarded GM pronto.  "Lazy Legget" made significant improvement

as a blocker last year. One week towards the end of the year PFF rated him

as one of the three best Jets of that week. As a receiver he caught one short pass.

Tomlinson was mediocre as a blocker, a penalty machine and a clumsy oaf.

Between Wesco &  Tommy we now have two lead footed TEs. The former

Falcon TE from Stanford who recently signed with another team, was

a more efficient blocker than  Tom not so terrific and a 6'8'' redzone

target, which he was proficient at in college. Macsh*thead should have

been shot before he was fired for using one of his few draft picks

on

Wesco in the fourth

• Thumb Down 1

Jordan Leggett is an absolutely perfect example of how Mac has no feel for the draft at all.

He traded down 4 times in the middle rounds of the 2017 Draft, while needing WRs and a TE.  He not only whiffed on both WRs, but George Kittle went 4 spots before Leggett.

Now obviously the whole league missed how good Kittle could be, thats not my point.  My point is that rather then trading down when we knew we needed a TE, Mac had his choice between 3 TEs.

Kittle - scouting report was that his floor is an elite blocker and his athleticism was underrated.

Jake Butt - coming off an injury, but a second round talent if healthy.

Jordan Leggett - an underachiever, who had good numbers but had questionable football character

Well, Butt went at pick 145, Kittle 146 and Leggett at 160.  If you can fill the role of blocking TE with a guy who also was possibly underused in college but comes from a pro system, just take him.  There can't be a single GM that would have preferred Leggett over Kittle and yet due to absurd trade downs, we missed him.  As an aside, only 1 TE went in the 3rd round and only 4 TEs went in the entire draft after these 3 guys (only one in the 5th), so its pretty clear that Leggett was the last guy left.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

Dumb move, I want to give Peepers a chance as coach but we really need to sign

a highly regarded GM pronto.  "Lazy Legget" made significant improvement

as a blocker last year. One week towards the end of the year PFF rated him

as one of the three best Jets of that week. As a receiver he caught one short pass.

Tomlinson was mediocre as a blocker, a penalty machine and a clumsy oaf.

Between Wesco &  Tommy we now have two lead footed TEs. The former

Falcon TE from Stanford who recently signed with another team, was

a more efficient blocker than  Tom not so terrific and a 6'8'' redzone

target, which he was proficient at in college. Macsh*thead should have

been shot before he was fired for using one of his few draft picks

on

Wesco in the fourth

So is Herndon not on the team anymore? 

Jordan Leggett is an absolutely perfect example of how Mac has no feel for the draft at all.
He traded down 4 times in the middle rounds of the 2017 Draft, while needing WRs and a TE.  He not only whiffed on both WRs, but George Kittle went 4 spots before Leggett.
Now obviously the whole league missed how good Kittle could be, thats not my point.  My point is that rather then trading down when we knew we needed a TE, Mac had his choice between 3 TEs.
Kittle - scouting report was that his floor is an elite blocker and his athleticism was underrated.
Jake Butt - coming off an injury, but a second round talent if healthy.
Jordan Leggett - an underachiever, who had good numbers but had questionable football character
Well, Butt went at pick 145, Kittle 146 and Leggett at 160.  If you can fill the role of blocking TE with a guy who also was possibly underused in college but comes from a pro system, just take him.  There can't be a single GM that would have preferred Leggett over Kittle and yet due to absurd trade downs, we missed him.  As an aside, only 1 TE went in the 3rd round and only 4 TEs went in the entire draft after these 3 guys (only one in the 5th), so its pretty clear that Leggett was the last guy left.

We drafted Leggett the same year we got morton who was a pass heavy offensive coordinator. My guess he wanted all the pass catchers he could get and didn't favor a blocking tight end. I could be wrong but there are alot of variables that go into a draft.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Interested to see if picked up and actually earns a roster spot on another team.  My gut says no.

19 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

We drafted Leggett the same year we got morton who was a pass heavy offensive coordinator. My guess he wanted all the pass catchers he could get and didn't favor a blocking tight end. I could be wrong but there are alot of variables that go into a draft.

What makes you think that Mikey Mac took any advice from what the coordinator needed or wanted... by all accounts it seems like he had pre-meetings with scouts and the coach wasn't allowed input or we assuming that this was just for Gase

8 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

Interested to see if picked up and actually earns a roster spot on another team.  My gut says no.

When was the last time a Jets player got cut and did something on another team? I can probably only think of 1 or 2 over the last 2 decades. This guy will be out of football by the Fall. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, GreenFish said:

Leggett had the MoWilk virus by all accounts. I’m cool with this move. GM Gase laying down the law! Next on the list of guys he needs to throw out, Chris Johnson.

I think Gase is trying to get rid of lazy mother ****ers... Exhibit A: Darren Lee... Heavy gamer... suspended for weed (you need to get caught numerous times before the 4 game suspension), was always caught out of position, chasing people down... gave up huge yardage by not communicating coverage...

Exhibit B: Leggett... known lazy player from college to the pros... he is now in his 3rd year and has not even been able to crack the starting roster on a team that was desperate for pass catchers... 

Next up Fatusaki and Nathan Sheppard

• Upvote 1

What makes you think that Mikey Mac took any advice from what the coordinator needed or wanted... by all accounts it seems like he had pre-meetings with scouts and the coach wasn't allowed input or we assuming that this was just for Gase

I do not assume anything. Is it not possible that it was just for Gase? Maybe his scouting team worked all season putting their board together and he did not want Gase to come in and ruin their work or something to that effect.

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I do not assume anything. Is it not possible that it was just for Gase? Maybe his scouting team worked all season putting their board together and he did not want Gase to come in and ruin their work or something to that effect.

could be... but after the drafts we have seen which is more likely....

• We will truly appreciate how bad Mac’s drafting was.   Gase has no incentive to keep around bad players that Mac drafted.  
  • We will also truly appreciate how crazy Gase is.
  • We are in a race to the bottom.  Mac as a very bad drafter.  Gase in Miami aggressively ran out players.
  • I predict this is a one year, sloppy regime.  3 years left on the Darnold rookie contract.