The Johnson family back story - whoa

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Listen to Ken Langone . I have met him personally, I audited a small company he invested in back in the 90s.  He is brilliant.  his charitable giving is incredible, his thought process in this area unsurpassed.   THAT my friend is capitalism in a wind down phase. I am simply not impressed with Woody as a businessman.   As a human being, he actually came to the Tampa Bay Jets tailgate in 2009. He is a stand up guy.  But I look at his body of work and I don’t see anything I would follow or use as an example.   

I volunteer my time to a large kitchen, pantry, medical center, dental, job training and mentoring center.  We run totally on contributions.

Thinking that people just donate at that level just to give it away is naive. 

People don't just hand over 1/4 mil donations like water.  

After you get past that look up Robert Wood Johnson hospitals.  Or some of the other endeavors that he takes on so that you can bitch and moan.  Never is there a more ridiculous whine.  Yes they help people, big deal.

Better yet, he took a 

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Listen to Ken Langone . I have met him personally, I audited a small company he invested in back in the 90s.  He is brilliant.  his charitable giving is incredible, his thought process in this area unsurpassed.   THAT my friend is capitalism in a wind down phase. I am simply not impressed with Woody as a businessman.   As a human being, he actually came to the Tampa Bay Jets tailgate in 2009. He is a stand up guy.  But I look at his body of work and I don’t see anything I would follow or use as an example.   

I volunteer my time to a large kitchen, pantry, medical center, dental, job training and mentoring center.  We run totally on contributions.

After you get past that look up Robert Wood Johnson hospitals.  Or some of the other endeavors that he takes on so that you can bitch and moan.  Never is there a more ridiculous whine.  Yes they help people, big deal.

They're nice people who help, not impressed.  Runs a chain of Hospital, not impressed. Took a 635 mil investment and whatever doesn't impress you they're now worth over 5 Bil or so.  Top 5 valued team.  From what was a bottom 5 team.  

Carry on.  I get the crowd, we hate our owner.  He's not a football guy nonsense. 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They're nice people who help, not impressed.  Runs a chain of Hospital, not impressed. Took a 635 mil investment and whatever doesn't impress you they're now worth over 5 Bil or so.  Top 5 valued team.  From what was a bottom 5 team.  

Carry on.  I get the crowd, we hate our owner.  He's not a football guy nonsense. 

His heart is NOT in question.  His character is NOT in question. 

On 5/20/2019 at 7:07 PM, BCJet said:

I actually looked CJ up this weekend as well and was astonished that the first (and only) job listed on his wikipedia page is the Jets.  Literally has not held as much as a board seat somewhere.

How can we expect someone to competently run a multi-billion dollar organization in one of the most competitive industries on earth with zero business or football experience.  

Would you agree that the Colts have been a pretty successful organization?  Their owner is also a member of the lucky sperm club who was allegedly a drug addict and eccentric, to put it mildly.  All you need to do is hire a good GM, and there is no reason why an owner's lack of business experience should hold back the team.  In fact, I don't think CJ's moves have been bad at all so far.  Let's just get this GM hiring right.

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So as a CPA you're claiming all he does is give money away? 

I wouldn't let you figure out a 20% tip if you are.  Lol

We've been through this before.  The hate the man routine is way too 1960s. 

I don't tip because society says I have to.  I mean I'll tip if somebody really deserves it.  If they put forth the effort, I'll give them something extra, but I mean this tipping automatically is for the birds.  As far as I am concerned they are just doing their job.

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So, this thread is going well.

JetNation never disappoints. 

43 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

From what was a bottom 5 team.  

Now they are a bottom 3 team!!

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

I don't tip because society says I have to.  I mean I'll tip if somebody really deserves it.  If they put forth the effort, I'll give them something extra, but I mean this tipping automatically is for the birds.  As far as I am concerned they are just doing their job.

Tipping isn't automatic even for a NY like me.  I find NYrs tip more than any other group.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Dude, in the absence of open hostility, you have to tip.  That's how they pay their bills and feed their family.  They're not just serving you for fun.

8 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Dude, in the absence of open hostility, you have to tip.  That's how they pay their bills and feed their family.  They're not just serving you for fun.

Agreed. My son was a waiter for awhile. They paid him peanuts so he had to really rely on those tips. He's tri lingual so that helped him a lot.

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Tipping isn't automatic even for a NY like me.  I find NYrs tip more than any other group.

22 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

12 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Agreed. My son was a waiter for awhile. They paid him peanuts so he had to really rely on those tips. He's tri lingual so that helped him a lot.

You ever listen to K-Billy's Super Sounds of the 70's weekend?  It's my personal favorite

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2019 at 4:44 PM, WowOhWow said:

I was curious to learn more about Chris and Woody and what, if anything, they've ever done on their own that was successful.  I started to do a quick google search and oh man...the Johnson family is a complete mess.

These guys literally have done nothing but inherit massive amounts of money and be a part of one of the most dysfunctional families I've ever heard of.

I said they are looney tunes.

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Round the bill up to the next whole number, divide by 10, double it, round up to the next whole number.

Unless they were totally disrespectful and in that case, write a comment on the bill.  

That's a lot of math. lol  We just double the tax which is 8.75% then round up to the next whole number.

• Upvote 1

On 5/21/2019 at 8:57 PM, y2k8 said:

Woody Johnson is the only person who was ever outmaneuvered by Jimmy Dolan.

That's really all you need to know about his business acumen. 

And Woody is the "brains" of the family compared to young Christopher.

Our only hope is that Gase really does know what he's doing.  It's about time this franchise has someone that does.

Pretty much nothing in here based on fact. 

This team will NEVER succeed with the way the team is currently structured. I honestly hate to say it. 

I understand the Johnsons want to be involved in their business and I respect that. However, they need to take about 10 steps back when it comes to drafting, trading, and signing players. These guys have absolutely no clue about football. What’s the solution? Hire a VP and let him oversee all decisions being made. They do a GREAT job of spending money on players but they should not be the ones that oversee all decisions. They know sh*t about football. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/20/2019 at 4:44 PM, WowOhWow said:

I was curious to learn more about Chris and Woody and what, if anything, they've ever done on their own that was successful.  I started to do a quick google search and oh man...the Johnson family is a complete mess.

These guys literally have done nothing but inherit massive amounts of money and be a part of one of the most dysfunctional families I've ever heard of.

What you are saying is an understatement.  Woody Johnson is the dumbest owner in the nfl and so is his goofball brother

21 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

I think JJ paid 136 million or some crazy low number for the Cowboys today they are worth 5 billion. Oh, and Dallas Sucks.

Buying the jets is literally the only good business decision Woody has ever made on his own and, ofcourse, he cannot profit off that decision by selling the team and getting the $1.5 billion in profit because he’s too stupid and too stubborn 

5 minutes ago, Ghost said:

This team will NEVER succeed with the way the team is currently structured. I honestly hate to say it. 

I understand the Johnsons want to be involved in their business and I respect that. However, they need to take about 10 steps back when it comes to drafting, trading, and signing players. These guys have absolutely no clue about football. What’s the solution? Hire a VP and let him oversee all decisions being made. They do a GREAT job of spending money on players but they should not be the ones that oversee all decisions. They know sh*t about football. 

This is why I like Gase taking over 

This organization needs to be hijacked.  No more Johnson Bros meddling or incompetent GMs screwing everything up

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

This is why I like Gase taking over 

This organization needs to be hijacked.  No more Johnson Bros meddling or incompetent GMs screwing everything up

Yes but Gase has come out and said nothing will change. Everyone, including the new GM, will have to report to Christopher. 

We haven't heard much from Woody the past two years. There was one story about Woody making a statement about the new US embassy in London that was positive to the new embassy after Trump denounced it and refused to go to the opening ceremony. That was a big surprise. But there is a recent story about the Johnson family buying two office buildings in London for almost $400 mil. Highly unusual and unorthodox for the family of an ambassador to get involved in high stakes finance. But you know what they say, when in Rome... https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-07/family-of-u-s-envoy-woody-johnson-said-to-buy-london-properties

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Yes but Gase has come out and said nothing will change. Everyone, including the new GM, will have to report to Christopher. 

As long as Gase is making the decisions and not the bone brained Johnson Bros

• Upvote 1