Most under-rated Jet of all time

Buster Skrine - the kid was no stud but he was perfectly serviceable and better than at least half the slot corners in the league. He got alot of flags I guess but this forum tore him to shreds.

Darron lee- was he worth a first round pick? Probably not but the kid was progressively getting better every year to the point where he was actually decent last year before his suspension. The forum cared more about size shaming him than his actual productivity.

Leonard Williams- the way people talk about Leonard you would think he were an awful player but the reality is the opposite. He is not elite or superflashy and has not reached the ceiling that we had hoped for but he is actually a good player. Why does the forum dislike him? Maybe because he doesn't put up great stat lines or because we passed on gurley who was coming off a major injury to draft Leo or because some think he is going to demand to be paid as one of the highest paid players in the league? Who knows.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jet hustle said:

My vote is Shaun Ellis

That's a good choice.

8 hours ago, tkiss24 said:

Mo Lewis was a really good player on some truly terrible teams. While he was still good when the Tuna came and turned things around his prime was almost completely wasted.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Good choice, Mo was stuck on some really bad teams, he got out of shape and struggled until Parcells came in and gave him new life.  He is one of the best players in Jets history.

8 hours ago, F00tballGuy69 said:

Brandon Moore.

Was a very good right guard for many years, and is now known mostly for being the butt in the "butt-fumble". 

Very underrated

8 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

#56 Lance Mehl

The problem with Lance is he didn't play very long because of injuries.  I think he only played around 4-5 near full seasons

Some excellent choices on this thread - guys like Kyle Clifton, Brandon Moore, Victor Green, Jason Fabini were great Jets who massively outperformed expectations.
I'm casting a vote for this guy. Jets fans always seem to hate their nickel backs, but this guy was one of the best in the NFL in the role for a long time, despite being lighter than a feather and shorter than a hobbit:
255876ca00254b7399ad8c30eb5678df_front.jpg&key=bcd1ddfe486a8d1a96490ca6bd816a00485317bab233538dc12b9fab6ebce890

Great choice! If he was 5’11”-6’1” he would have been a multiple pro bowler. Tremendous cover corner

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

36 minutes ago, section314 said:

John Jefferson would concur. That was the closet thing to "The Longest Yard" that I've ever seen in my 40 years of season tickets.

I was there. My first ever live Jet game. Shea Stadium. 

Maybe why he resonates with me. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

A Glenn being the best?

????

Revis is the best corner and best player we have ever had.  Glenn was a good player but very overrated by jet fans.  He always got killed matching up with top WRs

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MasterChiefJets said:

Pat Leahy. 18 years, 250 games, Jets leading scorer and never had a kick blocked.

I loved Pat Leahy, but he definitely had some kicks blocked. 

I remember Fred Smerlas blocking a Leahy FG attempt late in the game way back in 1988 (I think) to preserve a win for the Bills. Leahy acknowledged at the time that he kicked it a little lower, as he wanted to increase the range on a long(!) FG attempt of around 40 yards or so.

1 minute ago, mrcoops said:

I remember Fred Smerlas blocking a Leahy FG attempt late in the game way back in 1988 (I think) to preserve a win for the Bills. Leahy acknowledged at the time that he kicked it a little lower, as he wanted to increase the range on a long(!) FG attempt of around 40 yards or so.

I know in general kickers back then were terrible compared to the kickers of today but Pat Leahy would miss PATs every year. He kicked for 18 seasons and was only 100% on PATs 6 times.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I know in general kickers back then were terrible compared to the kickers of today but Pat Leahy would miss PATs every year. He kicked for 18 seasons and was only 100% on PATs 6 times.

Yeah, the numbers from kickers back then look terrible compared to today's kickers.

These days, if you're not hitting close to 90% on FGs, your job is under threat.  I think Leahy's career FG% was in the low 70s.

Different times.

• Upvote 1

Brad Smith. I could not figure out why he never got a legit shot at QB, given how we couldn't keep a decent one on the field. Mobile, a great arm, and a competitor. Four year college QB. Like a taller Ray Lucas who could actually pass the ball. Given how much hoopla there is over QB's  who can run and pass, he got short shrift.

Stats and bio 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Then the New York Jets are spreading fake news!

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/where-are-they-now-pat-leahy

"In 18 seasons with the Jets from 1974-91, Leahy appeared in 250 games. He made 304 of 426 field goals, 558 of 584 extra points, totaling a team-record 1,470 points and never had a kick blocked."

8 minutes ago, MasterChiefJets said:

Then the New York Jets are spreading fake news!

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/where-are-they-now-pat-leahy

"In 18 seasons with the Jets from 1974-91, Leahy appeared in 250 games. He made 304 of 426 field goals, 558 of 584 extra points, totaling a team-record 1,470 points and never had a kick blocked."

Yup: https://buffalonews.com/1988/11/20/blocked-kick-fumble-foil-jet-revenge/

BLOCKED KICK, FUMBLE FOIL JET REVENGE

By Donn Esmonde|Published November 21, 1988

A field goal that wasn't and a fumble that was came between the Jets and what might have been.

The Jets, humiliated on national television by the Bills last month, were a nearly-automatic Pat Leahy field goal away from avenging the defeat during Sunday's 9-6 loss to Buffalo.

With the game tied at 6-6, Leahy launched a 40-yard boot with 25 seconds to play.

Bills fans could be forgiven any feelings of despair. Leahy had hit 47 of his previous 49 attempts from 40 yards and in.

History was on the Jets' side as well. They were 5-0 under coach Joe Walton in Rich Stadium.

Upsetting the odds, however, was the large paw of Fred Smerlas.

"I kicked the ball and heard everybody screaming," said Leahy. "I guess it was a little bit low, from what they tell me. But when I hit the ball, I said (to himself) it was good. I hit the ball well."

Smerlas' block probably saved the Bills from defeat. Roger Vick's fumble led them to victory.

Vick, on the Jets' second play in overtime, lost the ball when hit by Derrick Burroughs at the Bills' 30, with Cornelius Bennett recovering at the 32.

Four Robb Riddick runs later, Scott Norwood kicked the 30-yard field goal that clinched the Bills' first conference championship in eight years.

Vick didn't elaborate on the play. "My head is messed up right now," said Vick as he dressed. "I'll answer all of your questions Monday."

Jet quarterback Pat Ryan had a good view.

"I'll tell you what, that guy (Burroughs) couldn't have hit him any more perfect," said Ryan. "His helmet slammed right on the ball. With the (wet) condition the ball was in, it couldn't help but come out."

The blocked field goal and Vick's fumble undermined a worthy Jet effort.

New York averaged 4.5 yards per rush. Ryan, starting for Ken O'Brien, passed for 130 yards despite the wet conditions. The Bills' rush, which sacked O'Brien five times last month, got to Ryan only twice.

"They really bring it, though," said Ryan of the pass rush. "Nobody is able to stand back and bomb them. Sometimes I had to move (out of the pocket). I can't remember completing any of them (after moving), but at least I got away."

"We talked all week about coming off the ball and establishing the run," said center Jim Sweeney. "With the pass-blocking, Jeff (Criswell) did pretty good today; you didn't hear (Bruce) Smith's name mentioned that much. Reggie (McElroy) did pretty well, too, because you didn't hear Bennett's name mentioned much.

"It was very hard-hitting and very emotional," added Sweeney. "We had nothing to lose. We played tough because we wanted to let them know they were in a game, that we're not a cakewalk. . . . But it just makes it tougher (to lose). It's different when you get your butts kicked. It's harder to play a close game and lose."

- Although, to be fair to whoever runs the Jets' website, they probably weren't even born when that game took place.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Yup: https://buffalonews.com/1988/11/20/blocked-kick-fumble-foil-jet-revenge/

- Although, to be fair to whoever runs the Jets' website, they probably weren't even born when that game took place.

Great memory. I thought I might have witnessed that too. The author seems to be up there in years so perhaps it was just a miss (no pun intended!).

Either way, heck of a career for Leahy.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/leahypat01.htm

4 minutes ago, MasterChiefJets said:

Great memory. I thought I might have witnessed that too. The author seems to be up there in years so perhaps it was just a miss (no pun intended!).

Either way, heck of a career for Leahy.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/leahypat01.htm

I remember that game very well.  I watched it with my dad and my brother (neither Jets fans) who greatly enjoyed my suffering when that kick was blocked. 

Damned Fred Smerlas - I actually liked him as a player....up until that moment.

But yeah - amazing career for Leahy. Playing as long as he did with the Jets was a fantastic achievement.