Most under-rated Jet of all time

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Hasty was big and fast, basically was Richard Sherman before there was Richard Sherman.

He never received the resurrection he deserved here because we were terrible but once he went to KC he made multiple pro bowls and was a second team all pro.  

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Beat me to it.

Richie Anderson was an absolutely integral part of the 1998 and 2002 teams.  One of the best "skill" full backs I've ever seen play the game.

Richie didn't play a lot in 1998, Keith byars was in that role.  Richie exploded in 2000 as a dump off option for Vinny. That was his only big year.

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

He never received the resurrection he deserved here because we were terrible but once he went to KC he made multiple pro bowls and was a second team all pro.  

I forget who the GM was(Steinberg?) but didn't we draft Erik McMillan the same year? We had the makings of a pretty good defense then....those guys, Marvin Washington, Lageman, D Byrd, rest his soul.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

I forget who the GM was(Steinberg?) but didn't we draft Erik McMillan the same year? We had the makings of a pretty good defense then....those guys, Marvin Washington, Lageman, D Byrd, rest his soul.

McMillen and Hasty were drafted in 1988 when I don't think we had a GM.  Steinberg came along in 1990 and hired Bruce Coslet.  They drafted done good D players in 88 & 89.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, jgb said:

Don Maynard. HOF player gets overlooked all the time whenever Jets greatest players are discussed on here and elsewhere. He was outrageously dominant. Still has highest YPC in league history of players over 600 catches. That’s ridiculous for a guy who played mostly in the 1960s. Guy deserves a lot more love as one of the best players of 20th century. A lot more. And a 9th round pick to boot.

Can you be considered underrated if you're in the Hall of Fame?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Yeah, the numbers from kickers back then look terrible compared to today's kickers.

These days, if you're not hitting close to 90% on FGs, your job is under threat.  I think Leahy's career FG% was in the low 70s.

Different times.

Different times:  real grass, open air stadiums, dual purpose stadiums, outdoor stadiums, the "piggy back rule".  There are many reasons associated with the increase in field goal percentage of kicks made.  These are just some of them.  It's also more of a "specialty" now.  Some kickers then both punted and kicked, not to mention George Blanda. 

Pat Leahy was a consistent performer for an eternity.  He definitely belongs on this list.

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Can you be considered underrated if you're in the Hall of Fame?

Considering how some Jets fans speak about our HOFers, absolutely. ;)

People love to discuss/remember/debate Namath and Martin but when it comes to Maynard, almost no one talks about him at all... underappreciated and underrated are synonyms to me in this context. Maynard also never makes those “top 100 players ever” lists, which is a crime. My guess because he spent all but 2 years of his career in the old AFL there is a bias there.

interesting blurbs from a NYT article about one of the many years he was snubbed:

In pro football history, no other pass receiver accumulated more yardage or more 100-yard games. Only one other pass-receiver scored more touchdowns. And yet Don Maynard, once of the New York Jets, has been turned away again at the door of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.”

Through the years, Don Maynard's detractors have questioned the competence of the cornerbacks in the American Football League's early years. But in those and other years before and after Joe Namath arrived, Don Maynard was working with some Titan and Jet passers who never quite merited Hall of Fame discussion - Al Dorow, Butch Songin, Hayseed Stephens, Lee Grosscup, Johnny Green, Mike Taliaferro, Dick Wood, Al Woodall, Don Allard and Pete Liske.”

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/01/30/sports/sports-of-the-times-maynard-s-missing-vote.html

I also think putting up a goose egg in SBIII hurt many’s perception of his career. The fact that he was hurt in AFL championship and played decoy in SBIII has been lost in the sands of time for many. So while Joe rode that game to immortality, Maynard was a footnote and never entered the national consciousness.

He is one of the greatest players ever and still had to wait 15 years after retiring to make the Hall. Ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Different times:  real grass, open air stadiums, dual purpose stadiums, outdoor stadiums, the "piggy back rule".  There are many reasons associated with the increase in field goal percentage of kicks made.  These are just some of them.  It's also more of a "specialty" now.  Some kickers then both punted and kicked, not to mention George Blanda. 

Pat Leahy was a consistent performer for an eternity.  He definitely belongs on this list.

Leahy kicked in the era of specialization and there were a lot of turf fields around the league. He kicked almost half his career at home on turf at the meadowlands.  He was definitely better at the meadowlands (the Shea winds were tougher than the meadowlands) but he missed way too many chip shots.  We have a thread where we post old games on here and any 80s game you usually see at least one Leahy miss.

10 hours ago, Alka said:

James Farrier

Farrior had one good year for us, his contract year.  He was really good in Pittsburgh, he wasn't very good for us.  Another Parcells draft blunder turning the #1 overall pick into a draft class headlined by Farrior.

23 hours ago, MasterChiefJets said:

Pat Leahy. 18 years, 250 games, Jets leading scorer and never had a kick blocked.

Pat Leahy missed 5 PATs one season. Think about that for a second. We are talking the ball being spotted at the 2 yard line.

While he improved over time (and the move to astroturf helped him) he was never more than an average NFL kicker at best.  The fact that he played so long is an indictment on the front office.  He lost us more games than he won us. 

His chip shot miss in OT vs the Bears on MNF in the early 90s is still unforgivable. One of the worst reg season losses in Jets history. 

20 hours ago, nyjunc said:

McMillen and Hasty were drafted in 1988 when I don't think we had a GM.  Steinberg came along in 1990 and hired Bruce Coslet.  They drafted done good D players in 88 & 89.

Yup, McMillan and Hasty were both great 3rd round picks in 1988. John Booty, who had a decent career as a CB/S was also drafted late that year.

CB Terry Williams, who the Jets drafted in the 2nd round that year, didn't amount to much - but the other 3 guys more than made up for it.

3 hours ago, y2k8 said:

i would suggest that being in the Jets Ring of Honor (not to mention the HoF in Maynard's case) precludes you from being considered underrated.

Depends on how you define underrated.  Jet fans do not underrate these guys, but outside of our fanbase, neither receives the credit they deserve. 

Few years back I went to Jets - Bears game at Soldier Field.  I think it was 2010.  My son is wearing his Maynard jersey.  Bears fan stops us and asks when Brad Maynard (Bears punter) played for the Jets.  Told him he didn't; it was a Don Maynard jersey.  He asked who is that?  Just one fan, but that is underrated (and not to mention a bit ignorant).

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, y2k8 said:

i would suggest that being in the Jets Ring of Honor (not to mention the HoF in Maynard's case) precludes you from being considered underrated.

Klecko not being in the Hall is a farce, and he qualifies as underrated until and unless it gets fixed. I get your point on Maynard, but when’s the last time you heard anyone mention his name?

• Upvote 2

Leon Washington.  Not sure if he was underrated during his time by Jets fans, but definitely a player that gets lost in the mix of ex-Jets though.  That dude was fun to watch when he had the ball.  One of the most explosive players I have ever seen wearing a Jets uniform......So unfortunate he had that gruesome injury 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1