Most under-rated Jet of all time

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Bryan Thomas wasn’t underrated he couldn’t sniff the qb

Bryan Thomas was a solid player who could set the edge.   He was drafted to be a pass rusher, and never really did that.  He was a slightly above average player, and I agree, was not over rated at all.   Just a decent player and seemed like a good guy.

8 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Bryan Thomas wasn’t underrated he couldn’t sniff the qb

he had a Jordan Jenkins level of impact... 8 sacks 3 FF would be his best year

Jenkins is also underrated 

i'm just saying when's the last time the Jets took a first round pick that played 10 years in green and retired that way?  

13 hours ago, Eaton Beaver said:

How about Rich Caster, anybody remember the game Namath and Unitas threw for a combined 872 yards. Joe had 496 yards which included two bombs to Caster, both on first down and both after the Colts marched down to score a touchdown. One was 79 yards, and the next possession was 80 yards. The Jets won the game 44-34. I will never forget it. Caster was a TE who started out as a receiver. His lifetime yards per catch was 17.1.

My first game was the other Jets - Colts game in '72, at Shea.  Caster had one catch for 49.  It was tied for the 2nd longest reception that game.  Boozer had a 49 yard TD catch and my personal favorite, Little Eddie Bell, had an 83 yard tipped ball for the game winner with a mnute left.  Namath was 5 for 16 for 228 yards.  Caster was on some solid Oilers teams with Pastorini and Earl Campbell, but got frozen out by age and the Raiders South (Stabler/Casper)

3 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Maybe not the most under rated because of his position but Ken O'Brien deserves some credit. He was very good. Also played behind an awful OLINE and succeeded throwing during winters in New Jersey. 

Ken belongs on the most overrated list, jet fans think more highly about him than Vinny, Chad or Sanchez.  The OLs were fine, he was a guy that couldn't move and would hold onto the ball looking for the big play.

The Jets lost in the AFC championship game in January if 1983, a few months later Ken was drafted and Ken took over this talented young team by mid 1984. The Jets never won a playoff game with Ken, that had one playoff win in the Ken era and it came when Ken was benched and his backup led the team to the win.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Mo was a top 3 player at his position for much of the 90’s

Everyone makes such a huge deal about Rex inheriting a good team what about Parcells?

The Jets had a ton of talent when BP took over, the issues were awful coaching and years of being beaten down mentally.  Parcells changed all of that, he wasn't a good GM but he's an all time great coach.

35 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Ken belongs on the most overrated list, jet fans think more highly about him than Vinny, Chad or Sanchez.  The OLs were fine, he was a guy that couldn't move and would hold onto the ball looking for the big play.

The Jets lost in the AFC championship game in January if 1983, a few months later Ken was drafted and Ken took over this talented young team by mid 1984. The Jets never won a playoff game with Ken, that had one playoff win in the Ken era and it came when Ken was benched and his backup led the team to the win.

I don't want to go through the whole thing here, but I don't think  you give Kenny O enough credit.  He threw a beautiful ball and, while he did hold on too long, it was to avoid interceptions.  The year he took all the sacks he had 25 TDs and single digit INTs.  I think he was horribly mishandled by Walton and Kotite. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't want to go through the whole thing here, but I don't think  you give Kenny O enough credit.  He threw a beautiful ball and, while he did hold on too long, it was to avoid interceptions.  The year he took all the sacks he had 25 TDs and single digit INTs.  I think he was horribly mishandled by Walton and Kotite. 

He always held onto it too long and took sacks instead of INTs.  Both can be killers.  Ken was my favorite growing up, I still have good memories of him but he is very overrated by Jet fans.  

On 5/22/2019 at 11:47 PM, jgb said:

Wish you had a vote when maynard was passed over ten times before finally getting into the Hall.

After retiring as the number one all time reception leader.

Anti-AFL bias was strong and he was buried because of it

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2019 at 11:26 PM, Jet Nut said:

Aaron Glenn was the second best to Revis.

Hasty 3rd.

You are free to feel that but I saw Glenn get destroyed by top WRs too many times.  Glenn was the best playmaker with the ball in his hands (whether on a turnover or STs returns) but covering is the most important aspect of playing corner and I believe Hasty was much better than Glenn in that regard and obviously no one was close to revis who is probably the best cover corner in pro football history.

7 hours ago, nyjunc said:

You are free to feel that but I saw Glenn get destroyed by top WRs too many times.  Glenn was the best playmaker with the ball in his hands (whether on a turnover or STs returns) but covering is the most important aspect of playing corner and I believe Hasty was much better than Glenn in that regard and obviously no one was close to revis who is probably the best cover corner in pro football history.

Hasty wasn't nearly as good in coverage.  Wasn't close, sorry we'll just have to disagree

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Hasty wasn't nearly as good in coverage.  Wasn't close, sorry we'll just have to disagree

We definitely disagree but I believe Hasty was a much better cover corner, he didn't get any respect because the team always stunk but once he left here he made multiple pro bowls and was a second team all pro.  He used to give Andre Reed fits and Reed was probably the best WR in the AFC at the time.

People also forget the about Aaron Glenn in 1998, he was torched against Joey Galloway before he got hurt in that game and missed the rest of the regular season.  Ray mickens stepped in and Aaron wasn't missed at all. I just feel he's really overrated by Jet fans because they see highlights of him scoring TDs.

On 5/23/2019 at 1:27 PM, bitonti said:

he had a Jordan Jenkins level of impact... 8 sacks 3 FF would be his best year

Jenkins is also underrated 

i'm just saying when's the last time the Jets took a first round pick that played 10 years in green and retired that way?  

Bryan Thomas sucked

What a great thread ! and great list of players over the years 

I'm going to throw Brad Baxter in there.  He did all the dirty work played hard on some awful teams. Then his body broke down just before Parcells got there.. Shame really 

Also loved Chris Ivory's running style