Joe Douglas is the guy

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I must be going blind, I think, because I haven't seen any fans say "the 2019 season is over BECAUSE we fired Macc". 

The only criticism I've read here at least was about timing, and that's 100% a legit question to ask frankly.  There is also some concern about having Gase be the temp. GM and why he deserves that much power in the short term.

Serious question:  Do some of you really think what fans say on a message board actually affects the team's performance?  Because some of you get REALLY bent out of shape when the team is criticized, it almost seems like you think the criticism is what causes the team to lose.

It's not?   Why the hell am I sitting in the same chair and turning my jersey inside out during games then?  What was it all for man?????????? 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Remember when Mike Maccagnan wasn’t getting fired and anyone who thought otherwise was a Jets-hating troll. And remember when Adam Gase was dragging the 4-12 Jets into the abyss for firing Mike Maccagnan? 

Remember when the rumors that Mac and Gase were estranged sent JN into  a frenzy of caterwauling  schadenfreude? Remember when Mac's firing brought out the bearded ladies and alligator men of the JN carnival, barking about the doom of the franchise and sighting of Gase with horns and a tail? 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Remember when Mike Maccagnan wasn’t getting fired and anyone who thought otherwise was a Jets-hating troll. And remember when Adam Gase was dragging the 4-12 Jets into the abyss for firing Mike Maccagnan? 

I remember that. That's where I was given most of my buttfumbles.

21 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Hmmm does sound like "he's here today but yeah, he's leaving soon"

Sounds like the Jets have requested permission to interview him.  Interesting thing is Gase and Douglas have the same agent.  That is surely an avenue to find out if Douglas is actually interested in the job with out going through the embarrassment of having him reject them after they request the interview without risking a tampering  claim 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Remember when the rumors that Mac and Gase were estranged sent JN into  a frenzy of caterwauling  schadenfreude? Remember when Mac's firing brought out the bearded ladies and alligator men of the JN carnival, barking about the doom of the franchise and sighting of Gase with horns and a tail? 

Remember when posters who whined and complained for 4 years started talking about all of the whining and complaining over the course of a week?   Yeah, that was the best.  Good times. Good times. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Sounds like the Jets have requested permission to interview him.  Interesting thing is Gase and Douglas have the same agent.  That is surely an avenue to find out if Douglas is actually interested in the job with out going through the embarrassment of having him reject them after they request the interview without risking a tampering  claim 

That's a good point.  They can just find out from the agent and not have to go through the whole rigamarole. They can even say they were never interested and always wanted the area scout from the cardinals as their first choice.  

• Upvote 1

I feel like most people have no idea what to feel when it comes to front office guys.  Depending on who writes what as far as reporters, we use it to develop a bias and then we decide if it'll be a good thing or a bad thing.   True you can hear who is respected within the league, and it could play a factor, but we don't know how Joe, Peyton, or anyone else who would come in will do.  Almost all moves are a collaborative effort for the most part, so we don't know if he is responsible for 95% of the decisions or 5%.

I just want to know who the hire will be, and start judging their effectiveness when they walk through the door and start their moves.  Anything else up until then feels like wasted breath to me.  we can be better judges on players we bring in because we get to see the product of their work and talent on the field, but once you get into the office work of the team, there are way more questions than answers.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Maybe they are still be negotiating terms. Maybe they want to do it on their terms. Maybe the report is false. 

Have some patience. 

Patience?

It just sounds stupid to me. What good reason would there be for them to have agreed to hire a guy but not to announce it? OK, go out and put together a scouting team, but don't tell anyone you're taking the job. But why?

I think the report is false because it sounds stupid.

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Patience?

It just sounds stupid to me. What good reason would there be for them to have agreed to hire a guy but not to announce it? OK, go out and put together a scouting team, but don't tell anyone you're taking the job. But why?

No one has said the deal is done. There are just reports that lead many to think it is close. So until it is done, there is nothing for the Jets to announce.  

Let the process play out.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

No one has said the deal is done. There are just reports that lead many to think it is close. So until it is done, there is nothing for the Jets to announce.  

Right. There really is nothing that can go wrong here as the Jets attempt to procure their guy

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Plus even if a deal does get done, we have no idea if Adam Gase will fire him right afterward.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I have no idea why you're telling me to be patient and let the process play out. You clearly don't understand what I've posted.

People keep mentioning the Eagles, and while I agree it's great that he was part of a Super Bowl winner the more significant factor is that he came up through the Ravens organization. I can't think of any team that has drafted and evaluated talent as consistently well as Baltimore over the last twenty years.... Maybe Pittsburgh.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I like the idea of an OL running a team that needs help on the OL

Douglas has a strong background and has been around some great front offices - I don't see a guy like that being a puppet for Gase - it will be a partnership or they will go down in flames 

Douglas would not come here just to carry Gase's water

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

People keep mentioning the Eagles, and while I agree it's great that he was part of a Super Bowl winner the more significant factor is that he came up through the Ravens organization. I can't think of any team that has drafted and evaluated talent as consistently well as Baltimore over the last twenty years.... Maybe Pittsburgh.

two orgs that emphasize toughness about all else.

39 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Patience?

They agreed to sign Anthony Barr and it blew up in their faces. 

I have no idea where the Jets might be in negotiations with Douglas, or even if they're in negotiations at all, but it seems wise to keep a lid on it until pen meets paper if they are. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I was using 80's example, you said where he worked but not what he did, and that isn't English. Respectively.

And you have no idea what he did or what he didnt do.  Really we're questioning a guys experience who we know has 25 years or so working in top FO's?  Over someone who has not one iota of exp?  Because we have bought into the hes so smart, smartest ever nonsense?  

What we do know is that PManning has never scouted, has never worked in a FO, never made a personnel decision, never helped set up a draft board, never signed a FA or negotiated or help negotiate a contract 

We bitch and moan about bringing in someone successful then on the other hand we should give the keys to someone who wants to check out this FO kind of thingy to see if maybe hes good at it or likes it?