Joe Douglas is the guy

50 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I wrote this in another thread...this is not very inspiring.  (I did not include 2019 because no one knows how 2019 picks will pan out)

Eagles 2017 NFL draft picks 
  • Derek Barnett: DE, Tennessee, 6-foot-3, 259 pounds.
  • Sidney Jones: CB, Washington, 6-0, 186.
  • Rasul Douglas: CB, West Virginia, 6-2, 209.
  • Mack Hollins: WR, North Carolina, 6-4, 221.
  • Donnel Pumphrey: RB, San Diego State, 5-8, 176.
  • Shelton Gibson: WR, West Virginia, 5-11, 191.
  • Nate Gerry: LB, Nebraska, 6-2, 218. 

Eagles' 2018 NFL draft class

• Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State. (Round 2, 49th overall) ...
  • Avonte Maddox, CB, Pitt. (Round 4, 125th overall) ...
  • Josh Sweat, DE, Florida State. (Round 4, 130th overall) ...
  • Matt Pryor, OT, TCU. (Round 6, 206th overall) ...
  • Jordan Mailata, OT, Australia. ... 
  • Jeremy Reaves, DB, South Alabama. ...
  • Josh Adams, RB, Notre Dame. 

Eagles' investments in the O-Line since 2016 (Douglas was hired in May '16):

• OT Andre Dillard:  2019 1st round pick
  • Starting LG Isaac Seumalo:  3rd round pick in 2016
  • Starting RG Brandon Brooks:  Signed to a 5-year deal in 2016 (previously a Texan)
  • G/C Stefen Wisneiwski:  Signed to 3-year deal in 2016 (previously a Jaguar), benched in 2018, then brought back in 2019 (presumably on a cheap deal)
  • OT Matt Pryor:  2018 6th rounder
  • OT Jordan Mailata:  2018 7th rounder
  • OT Helapoulivaati Vaitai:  2016 5th rounder
  • G Iosua Opeta:  2019 UDFA acquisition --> was projected 6th/7th rounder and compared to Kelvin Beachum

They did all this despite having LT Jason Peters, C Jason Kelce, and RT Lane Johnson all entrenched as starters since 2013. 

THIS is how you build an O-Line pipeline:  Draft O-Linemen every season, even if you already have plenty of depth there, and supplement with free agent pickups.  The Eagles had 3 entrenched starters on their O-Line prior to 2016, yet have used a 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounder on O-Linemen, and signed 2 others to significant contracts in that span.

It's also a great way to win a Super Bowl.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Oh no, I was really looking forward to hearing more defeatist fans talk about dysfunction.

SAR I

Well they never should have fired the guy we've been crying for them to fire for 2-3 years.  

What are thy doing? ;) 

• Post of the Week 1

53 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I wrote this in another thread...this is not very inspiring.  (I did not include 2019 because no one knows how 2019 picks will pan out)

Eagles 2017 NFL draft picks 
  • Derek Barnett: DE, Tennessee, 6-foot-3, 259 pounds.
  • Sidney Jones: CB, Washington, 6-0, 186.
  • Rasul Douglas: CB, West Virginia, 6-2, 209.
  • Mack Hollins: WR, North Carolina, 6-4, 221.
  • Donnel Pumphrey: RB, San Diego State, 5-8, 176.
  • Shelton Gibson: WR, West Virginia, 5-11, 191.
  • Nate Gerry: LB, Nebraska, 6-2, 218.

Eagles' 2018 NFL draft class

• Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State. (Round 2, 49th overall) ...
  • Avonte Maddox, CB, Pitt. (Round 4, 125th overall) ...
  • Josh Sweat, DE, Florida State. (Round 4, 130th overall) ...
  • Matt Pryor, OT, TCU. (Round 6, 206th overall) ...
  • Jordan Mailata, OT, Australia. ...
  • Jeremy Reaves, DB, South Alabama. ...
  • Josh Adams, RB, Notre Dame.

Left the little part where they hired their HC, drafted Wentz and won the SB.

• Sympathy 1

Simple solution if both parties are interested.

Gase HC

Douglas GM

Peyton Manning VP of Football Ops

Peyton has 3 jobs, very simple ones I think he can handle, has the balls to handle, and would hope if he took the job he would still have the burning desire to win.

Those 3 jobs, 1.  Settle any, and all squabbling between Gase, and Douglas he would be both of their boss’ no behind the back power play BS from our separate reporting to the owner structure.  2.  Report all concerns about possible issues with upper end Football management from playbook copier guy to the HC, GM, scouts leaving which ever Johnson silver spoon baby in charge to sit back, and sink, or swim in the golden sea that Manning is.  3.  This is basically the most important part, Head up this Football management, coaching staff, scouts, and in some special occasions a couple of the core guys like Darnold every year, and use ALL of their opinions, reports, needs, wants, visions as an organization to become not just a winning team, but a winning culture that players know when they walk in to the Jets locker room the message is clear Peyton does things this way, Douglas, Scouts, Gase, and the staff do things their way when it makes sense to the overall team goal which is determined by the whole group, but the ultimate final say comes from Peyton no one else.

The structure is ideal IMO, the biggest ? to this puzzle is can Peyton successfully move chess pieces around like no other as a GM, as far as getting the right players, being able to draft, and keep those under him happy enough IE enough of what they would like personnel wise to win.

Its really a can’t lose situation for the Jets, Peyton technically isn’t the GM so you can’t say the Jets jumped on him before he was ready and/or qualified, he has shown more then enough on field abilities to show he is a more then capable general even when he can’t throw the ball further then 5 yard, and still out smart a good defense.

Last, but not least his name alone adds credibility to the franchise they have not had since I guess a cup of coffee in 2010, but really not since Parcells in 97, and if Peyton fails who would listen, and think the Jets made a huge mistake bringing in no experience Peyton.  And TBH your really just asking him to oversee the children, and when needed step in to get them back on task, with the right guys it’s an easy job, with the wrong group it sucks balls.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, section314 said:

One thing to keep in mind...Tony Pauline saying this not done deal and Eagles trying hard to keep him. Only reason I bring this  up is that Tony nailed the whole Macc thing, and had it way before anyone. Just food for thought. Maybe he has sources who are actually real.

We'll see but if I were the Eagles, I wouldn't let him walk. Hopefully our pitch, offered salary/control and his connection to Gase get the deal done.

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Jeremiah would be a good addition, but I could see him being picky and wanting big money.

He's a big name, and surely already very well paid, so he can afford to wait for the right job at the right money.

No certainty that he joins the Jets - or any other team - over staying on TV, I think.

I heard one report that DJ makes around $1 mil a year at the NFL Network.  A quick google search showed the  salary of an NFL Director of scouting to be up to $275K.   Im not sure these are exactly accurate, but that seems like a pretty large gap to make up.  Hard to believe a team would pay him 4X the higher end salary, and doubt he would take a significant pay cut.  Unless they have some other title for him that would result in a higher salary?   I think Douglas would be a great hire either way. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, section314 said:

One thing to keep in mind...Tony Pauline saying this not done deal and Eagles trying hard to keep him. Only reason I bring this  up is that Tony nailed the whole Macc thing, and had it way before anyone. Just food for thought. Maybe he has sources who are actually real.

Or maybe the tantrum Gase threw was loud enough to be heard in the cheap seats.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If Douglas is highly sought, that means you’ll have to pay him a lot to leave a stable organization for it to make sense. I’m skeptical this gets done if that’s the case. 

It's about f**king time for the Johnson's to spend some money.  That better not be a reason for the holdup. 

There's no other open GM positions at the moment so Douglas' options are to take this job now or wait until next January. 

1 minute ago, Kleckineau said:

You know I hope your'e right ....right? 

I am right.  I'm talking about his resume here.  I'm not projecting how he'll do, only making the simple statement that what he's shown on paper is far better than any candidate we've brought in since Parcells. 

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I think Manning knows more about football than Idzik and Macagnan 

Knowing how an offense runs isn't the same as running a front office, being involved in personnel decisions, scouting.  

Because Macc failed doesn't make Manning more qualified for a job he's never done

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Knowing how an offense runs isn't the same as running a front office, being involved in personnel decisions, scouting.  

Because Macc failed doesn't make Manning more qualified for a job he's never done

Who’s a better GM?  John Elway or our last two doofuses?

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He calling around building a scout team.  Daniel Jeremiah wants alot of money so not sure if hes coming aboard.  Only a matter of time till its announced.  

Reported by alex marvez.

I don't doubt you (and I hope you are right), but I cannot find anything on the internet by Marvez confirming this. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Left the little part where they hired their HC, drafted Wentz and won the SB.

Joe Douglas was hired in May, 2016.

Carson Wentz was drafted in April 2016

Doug Pederson was hired in January 2016

But...yeah....thanks for proving my point.....

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It's not like anybody knows what this Douglas dude does all day either. Architect of the low end of an offensive line that's been anchored by three all-pros since forever, I guess.

I'm glad you're all enjoying yourselves, but please explain how any of this changes the fact that if this or any other dude you never heard of a month ago 1) lands an offer from CJ and 2) accepts he's presumptively a moron based on that alone.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Eagles' investments in the O-Line since 2016 (Douglas was hired in May '16):

• OT Andre Dillard:  2019 1st round pick
  • Starting LG Isaac Seumalo:  3rd round pick in 2016
  • Starting RG Brandon Brooks:  Signed to a 5-year deal in 2016 (previously a Texan)
  • G/C Stefen Wisneiwski:  Signed to 3-year deal in 2016 (previously a Jaguar), benched in 2018, then brought back in 2019 (presumably on a cheap deal)
  • OT Matt Pryor:  2018 6th rounder
  • OT Jordan Mailata:  2018 7th rounder
  • OT Helapoulivaati Vaitai:  2016 5th rounder
  • G Iosua Opeta:  2019 UDFA acquisition --> was projected 6th/7th rounder and compared to Kelvin Beachum

They did all this despite having LT Jason Peters, C Jason Kelce, and RT Lane Johnson all entrenched as starters since 2013. 

THIS is how you build an O-Line pipeline:  Draft O-Linemen every season, even if you already have plenty of depth there, and supplement with free agent pickups.  The Eagles had 3 entrenched starters on their O-Line prior to 2016, yet have used a 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounder on O-Linemen, and signed 2 others to significant contracts in that span.

It's also a great way to win a Super Bowl.

The ironic part is that Wentz STILL gets hurt even with all these resources on the OL. 

16 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

No. 

Since this appears to be the only serious answer, why not?  Doesn't the Rooney Rule apply to GM positions?  I just read a piece on SI about it, saying that minority candidates should refuse the interview.  Kind of silly when you consider that one of the stated purposes was to get minority candidates experience interviewing.

1 minute ago, maury77 said:

The ironic part is that Wentz STILL gets hurt even with all these resources on the OL. 

I think Wentz takes too many chances.  No reason for him not to be a pure pocket passer but he wants to get those extra yards at the detriment of his own body. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I'm glad you're all enjoying yourselves, but please explain how any of this changes the fact that if this or any other dude you never heard of a month ago 1) lands an offer from CJ and 2) accepts he's presumptively a moron based on that alone. 

It doesn't.  But what else do we do?  Hope the Johnson's die or ask their Mom to sell the team?

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Since this appears to be the only serious answer, why not?  Doesn't the Rooney Rule apply to GM positions?  I just read a piece on SI about it, saying that minority candidates should refuse the interview.  Kind of silly when you consider that one of the stated purposes was to get minority candidates experience interviewing.

Yes. For career advancement. Advancement.