Joe Douglas is the guy

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Eagles' investments in the O-Line since 2016 (Douglas was hired in May '16?

• OT Andre Dillard:  2019 1st round pick - Can't give him credit for this b/c you don't know how he'll turn out.
  • Starting LG Isaac Seumalo:  3rd round pick in 2016 - Drafted BEFORE Douglas was hired.
  • Starting RG Brandon Brooks:  Signed to a 5-year deal in 2016 (previously a Texan) - Signed BEFORE Douglas was hired.
  • G/C Stefen Wisneiwski:  Signed to 3-year deal in 2016 (previously a Jaguar), benched in 2018, then brought back in 2019 (presumably on a cheap deal) - the guy most on this board was said to be insufficient  when compared to the existing free agents - why didn't Douglas sign Paradis or Morse!!!
  • OT Matt Pryor:  2018 6th rounder -  sat the bench the entire year - if he was one of Macc's picks we would be screaming bust
  • OT Jordan Mailata:  2018 7th rounder  - see above - he sat the bench the entire year - if he was one of Macc's picks we would be screaming bust 
  • OT Helapoulivaati Vaitai:  2016 5th rounder - again - Joe Douglas was hired AFTER the 2016 draft
  • G Iosua Opeta:  2019 UDFA acquisition --> was projected 6th/7th rounder and compared to Kelvin Beachum - he get's no credit for a guy who has yet to play a down in the NFL and could easily end up being cut in camp

They did all this despite having LT Jason Peters, C Jason Kelce, and RT Lane Johnson all entrenched as starters since 2013. 

THIS is how you build an O-Line pipeline:  Draft O-Linemen every season, even if you already have plenty of depth there, and supplement with free agent pickups.  The Eagles had 3 entrenched starters on their O-Line prior to 2016, yet have used a 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounder on O-Linemen, and signed 2 others to significant contracts in that span.

It's also a great way to win a Super Bowl.

See my response to each player you cited above....and thanks for proving my point.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

It doesn't.  But what else do we do?  Hope the Johnson's die or ask their Mom to sell the team?

I've been hoping they die for a while and it doesn't occupy a whole lot of mental space so let's multitask. How about as much weeping and tearing of hair goes into the reasons why we don't get anybody good in the first place as it does when these silly hopes you build up get crushed again.

4 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

See my response to each player you sited above....and thanks for proving my point.

Coming from a long-time Macc apologist like you, I think your lack of endorsement for Douglas is a good thing. 

You have no point.  You've failed to show how Douglas doesn't check nearly all the boxes.  Ravens scout under Ozzie Newsome from 2000-2015, a span in which the Ravens had tremendous success.  VP of Player Personnel for the Eagles when they won a Super Bowl, and was credited heavily by the owner and GM. 

This is the best caliber of candidate we're going to get under the Johnson's. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I've been hoping they die for a while and it doesn't occupy a whole lot of mental space so let's multitask. How about as much weeping and tearing of hair goes into the reasons why we don't get anybody good in the first place as it does when these silly hopes you build up get crushed again. 

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Yes. It's that guy's fault.

I think any of you being the least bit skeptical about anything ever is a good thing.

Meh.  It's only because of Gase that a guy like Douglas might come here.  I'll trust the lunatic over the Johnson's on this one and hope for the best.  What's the worst that can happen, the Jets disappoint again?  Oh boy, how earth shattering!

We have to hope the next GM knows what he's doing, or what's the point of posting here or caring?  In no way am I predicting he'd be a smashing success. 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

This time its different, they really love us and promised to quit drinking 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Meh.  It's only because of Gase that a guy like Douglas might come here.  I'll trust the lunatic over the Johnson's on this one and hope for the best.  What's the worst that can happen, the Jets disappoint again?  Oh boy, how earth shattering!

Oooookay. All I'm saying is I dunno whether you or Gase threw the bigger fit after the draft. Probably Gase but it's close.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Coming from a long-time Macc apologist like you, I think your lack of endorsement for Douglas is a good thing. 

I'm not an apologist for anyone, and I'm not endorsing or condoning anyone.  But there are way too many people on this board who will proclaim someone "great" or the "best candidate" based upon lazy research into what the candidate has actually done.

Your post proved my point - you want to proclaim all of these OL moves by Douglas as evidence that he's going to be a great GM - but then you included players drafted and signed by the Eagles before he was ever hired by the Eagles, and then two O-linemen who were drafted last year but apparently didn't play a single down with the Eagles, based upon the Eagles own web page.

Other than that, the Eagles drafted one OL in the 1st round this year - signed a guy as a Undrafted Free Agent - and signed the guy (Wisneiwski) who most people here didn't want over Morse or Paradis.

10 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Oooookay. All I'm saying is I dunno whether you or Gase threw the bigger fit after the draft. Probably Gase but it's close. 

Ok?  Gase is a lunatic.  I'm a lunatic.  Anything is better than Paul Tagliabue, Korn Ferry, Charlie Casserly or the Johnson's themselves making the decision on who to hire. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KRL said:

The irrational responses by the media and too many fans over the past week 

I must be going blind, I think, because I haven't seen any fans say "the 2019 season is over BECAUSE we fired Macc". 

The only criticism I've read here at least was about timing, and that's 100% a legit question to ask frankly.  There is also some concern about having Gase be the temp. GM and why he deserves that much power in the short term.

Serious question:  Do some of you really think what fans say on a message board actually affects the team's performance?  Because some of you get REALLY bent out of shape when the team is criticized, it almost seems like you think the criticism is what causes the team to lose.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

I have no idea who will or will not make a good GM, but there are 3 things I want out of this GM hire:  

1. A guy who comes from a winning organization
  2. An experienced NFL personnel guy.
  3. A guy who has worked with Gase before

Douglas fits the bill on all 3 counts.  I will be very happy with what has played out htis past week if we can close the deal with him.  But I am not believing anything until it is reported that he is hired.

This is pretty much it in a nutshell. Gase definitely has a couple of his own red flags, but he's the Jets head coach and I'd like to see the Jets' head coach succeed. Best (maybe the only) way that happens is if he's teamed up with someone he knows and trusts. Douglas comes with a pedigree. He'd be a good hire with or without Gase. 

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

No one hired this guy when there were GM jobs open. Jets get lucky again and best GM falls to them.

Texans tried to interview him in January, but the Eagles blocked the move - which they could do as long as they were in the playoffs. Texans moved on rather than lose their next best guy waiting. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Don't they also have to interview a minority candidate before they can offer?

It's possible that they've already quietly had this interview. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I must be going blind, I think, because I haven't seen any fans say "the 2019 season is over BECAUSE we fired Macc". 

The only criticism I've read here at least was about timing, and that's 100% a legit question to ask frankly.  There is also some concern about having Gase be the temp. GM and why he deserves that much power in the short term.

Serious question:  Do some of you really think what fans say on a message board actually affects the team's performance?  Because some of you get REALLY bent out of shape when the team is criticized, it almost seems like you think the criticism is what causes the team to lose.

I think the criticism about the criticism about the criticism is what causes the team to lose.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

It's not like anybody knows what this Douglas dude does all day either. Architect of the low end of an offensive line that's been anchored by three all-pros since forever, I guess.

I'm glad you're all enjoying yourselves, but please explain how any of this changes the fact that if this or any other dude you never heard of a month ago 1) lands an offer from CJ and 2) accepts he's presumptively a moron based on that alone.

He worked under one of the most respected GMs ever in Baltimore.  He has been praised for his work with Chicago and was a part of the FO that turned a shltshow in Philly around and into a SB winner and contender.

Now what are Mannings qualifications as a personnel guy?  GM? Contract negotiations? 

If anyone turns the job down they're a moron and the Jets should move on.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Jets Fans IMO care vastly too much about the Giants and what the NY Sports Media has to say.

Worry about us.  Not them.

Totally agree.  What the Giants do, what they are does nothing for our W/L record.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

So you have no idea what he does either.

Except I'm not the one whining based that he only helped on the back end of the OL.  I just listed where he worked, his experience.  You're shlt if on it to somehow defend P Mannings qualifications.  

2 hours ago, KRL said:

The irrational responses by the media and too many fans over the past week 

It’s amazing to me that this is the narrative when it’s been said over and over (by almost everyone on here who complained) that Macc needed to go but it should have been done before letting him spend $100M and run the draft.  

What is so complicated about that? 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Except I'm not the one whining based that he only helped on the back end of the OL.  I just listed where he worked, his experience.  You're shlt if on it to somehow defend P Mannings qualifications.  

I was using 80's example, you said where he worked but not what he did, and that isn't English. Respectively.

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It’s amazing to me that this is the narrative when it’s been said over and over (by almost everyone on here who complained) that Macc needed to go but it should have been done before letting him spend $100M and run the draft.  

What is so complicated about that? 

Nuance makes sam darnold and baby jesus cry.

54 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Am I going to see the Loch Ness monster when I go to Scotland.:D

1 hour ago, static14 said:

It’s funny when you google Marvez the first result is him saying Dan Quinn will be the Jets coach in 2015. #reliable

Probably would have been if the Jets were patient and waited for the Super Bowl to get him, and not be afraid of losing Bowles.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Television pays better.

Yeah, and that's going to win out in most cases, obviously. I was thinking that Pioli seemed the type to stage a nutty and basically do the equivalent of Spacey flipping burgers in American Beauty. Or just embrace the culture and get somebody like McCloughan who's already completely unaccountable.

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

See my response to each player you sited above....and thanks for proving my point.

• OT Matt Pryor:  2018 6th rounder -  sat the bench the entire year - if he was one of Macc's picks we would be screaming bust
  • OT Jordan Mailata:  2018 7th rounder  - see above - he sat the bench the entire year - if he was one of Macc's picks we would be screaming bust 

Would we?  Plenty of people on this board think that Derrick Jones is a valid candidate to start at CB despite not earning any playing time in 2 years.  Ditto for Jeremy Clarke who some think moved to safety and will flourish.  After the 2015 season, I read how Deon Simon was a good pick just for surviving the season on the practice squad and getting a futures contract as a 7th. 

• Upvote 2