Joe Douglas is the guy

Why wouldn’t you want your GM to get here sooner rather than later?  Why wouldn’t you want your guy to start to understand everything he can before the next round of moves June 2?  Without having to worry about free agency or the draft it seems like the perfect time to be around your new team.

Or maybe Chris Johnson is doing another deep dive into the team he has owned for over two years before he decides anything?

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't know if the Johnsons were "right".  Wouldn't you have been happier if Joe Douglas were our GM heading into this current offseason rather than Macc handling the draft and FA?  Ultimately I'll still be ecstatic if we end up w/ Douglas as GM because for once it'll feel like we got ourselves a real highly-valued GM.

I will say this though in Macc's defense.  I have to wonder whether Douglas agrees to come here (assuming he does) if Sam weren't here.  

He might. Next year's QB class is supposed to be stout. That could be enticing too. 

26 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Why wouldn’t you want your GM to get here sooner rather than later?  Why wouldn’t you want your guy to start to understand everything he can before the next round of moves June 2?  Without having to worry about free agency or the draft it seems like the perfect time to be around your new team.

Or maybe Chris Johnson is doing another deep dive into the team he has owned for over two years before he decides anything?

Or maybe this is all a done deal and we're trying to meet the Rooney Rule requirement?  Just because things are quiet doesn't mean things aren't getting done on this front. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Or maybe this is all a done deal and we're trying to meet the Rooney Rule requirement?  Just because things are quiet doesn't mean things aren't getting done on this front. 

That may be true.  If that were the case you would think they would want to publicize the interviews to let folks know something is being done.  Ii would like to know who is being considered.  t would be nice to know that Gase will not be in charge for too long.

This entire episode is a train wreck.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Generally with the Jets the longer a rumor lingers the less likely it comes to fruition.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Generally with the Jets the longer a rumor lingers the less likely it comes to fruition.

Probably.  Just not hitting the panic button yet.  It's not like there's anyone else lining up for Douglas' services to compete with. 

17 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

You and me both man.
It would almost be as though we had a plan that worked for once. The one time the Johnson’s were the ones who were right. Oh man. What would it mean for our jets moving forward?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Im caustiosly excited.  With us, its ill believe it when I see ti.

• Sympathy 1

Oh that button was hit last week.  
Its the media’s fault!

It’s the jets fault. It’s truly unbelievable how embarrassingly we have sucked for so long.

Ex: Butt fumble was followed by the geno smith round the back fumble safety. Can’t make this stuff up.
Now we have this crap. Joe Douglas seems like the only way out for me. Anyone else is gonna have to fight with Gase and it will certainly end badly.

3 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

It’s the jets fault. It’s truly unbelievable how embarrassingly we have sucked for so long.

Ex: Butt fumble was followed by the geno smith round the back fumble safety. Can’t make this stuff up.
Now we have this crap. Joe Douglas seems like the only way out for me. Anyone else is gonna have to fight with Gase and it will certainly end badly.

You just made the best case I've heard for hiring Douglas as the next GM.

The Jets need to have Gase hand pick the GM so that it will be someone he won't butt heads with. Then maybe he won't blow up the entire organization from within.

I'm down with that, and I feel better about this whole thing now. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

June 1st designations can happen at any time during the off-season. A player can get cut in March with a June 1st designation but the team won't get the cap space till June 1st. That player is free to sign with other teams as soon as he gets cut. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Joe Douglas: still not the guy yet

I mean, the national reporters generally think it’s done and that Douglas is already putting together a staff. As with the Macc-is-fired story, this one is coming from the scouting community. The Jets could still **** this up over money because I’m sure Douglas is leveraging his position right now to get his guys paid, but I’d imagine Chris Johnson isn’t going to sh*t the bed at this point over $2 million dollars (or whatever). They already committed to this course by firing Macc

• Upvote 1

On 5/21/2019 at 4:29 PM, Alentador31 said:

Where is the proof that we could have gotten more for Lee though? 

Personally, after years of indecisiveness I am glad we have people in the building willing to pull the trigger and move forward. This is a small league. You are not going to get the best deal every single time, and if you hold out for the best deal every single time (Macc) you are not going to be very popular. You need to make friends in this league if you want to be successful. I get the feeling Macc lacked in that department. 

Plus, reality is, we do not know everything that goes on behind closed doors. Leggett was nothing more than a JAG and dispensable once we drafted the Wesco. 

And, I am with you. Douglas needs to get in here. However, all the moves being made by Gase right now are being waaaaay overblown by the media and its pretty ridiculous.

Lee wasn't going to play much and he wasn't being re-signed. His value is what it is and won't go up any. Nobody was going to pay anything more for a guy that, if they value him(which is really doubtful, but if they did) , all they have to do is sign him next March for $.Nobody looks at this guy as the last piece they need, he's a JAG. 

As to Legett this franchise has been looking for a possession TE forever(MIckey Shuler? Kyle Brady? the 5 minutes when Johnny Mitchell wasn't a self-absorbed toolbag? we NEVER have that guy) , and he was given ample chance to be that guy. He didn't step up. 

You don't get any brownie nor Pokemon points for hanging onto players that don't contribute simply because you drafted them. 

Maccagnan simply not being here is major progress. This firing and it's aftermath are a much-needed ripping off the bandaid and starting the healing. Would like to see Douglas get here, and worry with the Johnson ALWAYS is they get cheap on important things when  they should simply write the check. 

• Upvote 3