Tony Pauline Tidbits

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Ok, but Gase is currently the interim GM, so these decisions are in fact his, which has nothing to do with my point of the endless amount of fabrication related to many of the past full-time GMs not really doing anything, while the head coaches at the time were supposedly to blame/credit for all of it.

In Maccagnan's case, over the past few months he's now been repeatedly cited as ignoring both Bowles and Gase, which is certainly his prerogative if he doesn't agree with them, but is in great contrast to the excuse-making some were throwing around here back in January when Bowles was fired and Mac retained.  The same baseless claims were similarly made repeatedly for both Idzik and Tanny before him and, much in the same way, weren't true then either.

Sorry.  Wilson, Wilkerson and particularly Coples (as is well known) were all Rex.   Sanchez was Rex + Tanny when Rex fell in love with him on a high school field when he an Tanny went out there.  You need not feel compelled to respond.  I know you believe none of this.  So we will agree to disagree.  Rex ran the 1st round while Tanny was here.  Not sure about when Idzik was here, but Milliner could also have been a Rex pick.   

27 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Talk about a straw man.  No one is saying he refused to speak to anyone, but the point is simply that they were not in agreement and, ultimately, the decisions that are the responsibility of the GM were in fact always being made by the GM himself.  That's of course what makes sense, and in the real world has been the case all along.

The point simply was that, around these parts, we've had endless streams of accusations of some claiming the exact opposite, attempting to blame/credit roster moves on the head coaches for many years now.  This report is simply piling more onto the heaps of evidence to prove that to be completely untrue.  If Maccagnan were any good at his job, which he of course wasn't by any measure, him making successful choices that were not the ones the head coaches were pushing for would not be seen as a negative, and if anything would be something to give him additional credit for doing.  Instead, he turned out to simply suck and is fully responsible for that himself.

In truth I wasn't attacking your position.  I just wanted to know, based upon what was reported, did you think that it is OK for the GM not to speak to the HC?

You seem to feel it is alright.  I just think that it is good to speak whether or not you are "good" at your job or not.

You are of course correct that if Mac was GREAT at his job his communication or lack thereof with his HC would be meaningless.

28 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Sorry.  Wilson, Wilkerson and particularly Coples (as is well known) were all Rex.   Sanchez was Rex + Tanny when Rex fell in love with him on a high school field when he an Tanny went out there.  You need not feel compelled to respond.  I know you believe none of this.  So we will agree to disagree.  Rex ran the 1st round while Tanny was here.  Not sure about when Idzik was here, but Milliner could also have been a Rex pick.   

So in other words, the person responsible for doing the same job changes from one moment to the next, dependent entirely on which happens to best fit to your own narrative?  Yeah, seems like a totally reasonable conclusion.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's not a world of nothing but opposite extremes, and it has at times varied to what degree each GM opted to accept each coaches input, but the decisions still ultimately were made by those who were actually paid to make them, as all legitimate sources have repeatedly said.  Nah, that obviously makes way too much sense.

14 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I thought that trade up worked out pretty well.

Of course it did. Doesn’t change that the premise for it was all wrong. People argue about this, and always make the point ‘but we got Sam’. Sure, great outcome. Mac made that move assuming San would go before 3. Therefore his strategy was sh*t. His luck was grand.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

In truth I wasn't attacking your position.  I just wanted to know, based upon what was reported, did you think that it is OK for the GM not to speak to the HC?

You seem to feel it is alright.  I just think that it is good to speak whether or not you are "good" at your job or not.

You are of course correct that if Mac was GREAT at his job his communication or lack thereof with his HC would be meaningless.

Fair enough, and to be clear, I think Maccagnan was an idiot and deserve to be fired.  My only point was that nothing I saw seemed to suggest they didn't talk, but rather that Maccagnan didn't do much with Gase's (or Bowles' before him) input.  How good or bad that is to do is entirely dependent on the results of it.  If Maccagnan was killing it in FA and the draft, that would ultimately prove his strong stance on his positions to have been acceptable.  Instead, he sucked at his job, so needless to say there's little defense of the way he did anything, including his relationships with the coaches.

The only reason I made the point of bringing this up is that there have been years worth of accusations around here that not only did Maccagnan (and his predecessors) take their coaches input at all times, but it was actually the coaches themselves making the decisions.  This is simply the most recent of many examples that contradict that.

• Upvote 1

What exactly is the point you think you're making here?
Gase wanted the power, and he won the power. If the Jets are able to hire away Douglas without Philadelphia blocking it, the I guess they were able to convince the league that he (and not Gase) will have final say on the 53. If it takes longer than it should, or if the Eagkes are able to block it, then we have a coach that won a power struggle and a job that I don't think he's up for. Hopefully, if that's the case, it won't take 4-5 years to move on. We have a window now with Darnold and his contract.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

So if it was up to Adam Gase the Jets would not have Le’Veon Bell, but would have Tevin Coleman, Matt Paradis, and Daniel Fells?   

to reiterate what @Warfish said does anyone really think that's a better outcome than Bell/Harrison/Wesco - all the drama aside Bell is the best player in that list of 6 names and it's not close 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, isired said:

Gase wanted the power, and he won the power.  

i don't want to pre judge people based on their appearance but Adam Gase's shifty eyes makes me suspect he wants to sign Tevin Coleman over Leveon Bell only so he can get a kickback from Coleman's agent or whatever.

Parcells used to pull those tricks (remember when Vinny got like the biggest contract ever for the oldest man ever>?)

3 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

So in other words, the person responsible for doing the same job changes from one moment to the next, dependent entirely on which happens to best fit to your own narrative?  Yeah, seems like a totally reasonable conclusion.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's not a world of nothing but opposite extremes, and it has at times varied to what degree each GM opted to accept each coaches input, but the decisions still ultimately were made by those who were actually paid to make them, as all legitimate sources have repeatedly said.  Nah, that obviously makes way too much sense.

Rex Ryan, in front of witnesses, guaranteed Coples that if he were there when the Jets' number came up in round 1, that he would be the pick. Rex Ryan, after watching Sanchez throw the ball to high school seniors on California field along side of Tanny, decided that Sanchez was the guy.  Fell in love with him.  Then Tanny traded up with Mangini to get him.  Rex Ryan dominated round 1 throughout the time he and Tanny were together.  Sanchez was his choice...  (well known)  Kyle Wilson, Wilkerson, and (also well known) Coples.  Ironic that the only partial success was on offense there.  

Whatever.  He's gone and it's a new day.

Just now, Dcat said:

Rex Ryan, in front of witnesses, guaranteed Coples that if he were there when the Jets' number came up in round 1, that he would be the pick. Rex Ryan, after watching Sanchez throw the ball to high school seniors on California field along side of Tanny, decided that Sanchez was the guy.  Fell in love with him.  Then Tanny traded up with Mangini to get him.  Rex Ryan dominated round 1 throughout the time he and Tanny were together.  Sanchez was his choice...  (well known)  Kyle Wilson, Wilkerson, and (also well known) Coples.  Ironic that the only partial success was on offense there.  

Whatever.  He's gone and it's a new day.

Also The Terminator John Conner. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

I thought that trade up worked out pretty well.

Agreed. But sometimes you have to look at the thought process that got you there, if Giants take Darnold @ 2, I don't feel as good about trading 3 2's for Allen or Rosen.

Even worse, Macc was going hard for Cousins and he couldn't get it done in Washington or with a much more talented Vikings team. Doesn't help that he turns 30 this year either, bullet dodged there imo.

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Of course it did. Doesn’t change that the premise for it was all wrong. People argue about this, and always make the point ‘but we got Sam’. Sure, great outcome. Mac made that move assuming San would go before 3. Therefore his strategy was sh*t. His luck was grand.

Many struggle to understand that outcome doesn't dictate strategy.

10 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Puzzling thing here is his willingness to spend such huge money on defense and continue to draft defense in premium rounds yet wont’ spend for OL as the league continues to trend offense.  And then he probably wonders why he’s called ‘fired’.

Fixed

the strange thing is that except for the center position, mac did get or draft the same position players gase wanted just not the ones gase wanted.  to me this is more a case of the gm not listening to his coaches, especially about veteran players.  and right now missing out on one of the better free agent centers could be a real problem.