Why I’m not sold on Joe Douglas

7 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

36 years old with zero experience as a GM. Not sure why the media is painting him as a no brainer hire. 

Just another dart throw as far as I’m concerned. 

Beggars can't be choosers. 

We could always go try to throw a bunch of money at Ozzie Newsome if GM experience is what you're looking for.  But I doubt he'd take our call. 

• Upvote 1

Douglas is in his 40s,  Graduated from University of Richmond in 1999.  Went to work for the Ravens in 2000.  Has nearly 20 years experience in personnel between the Ravens and Eagles.  None of us have any way of knowing who will or will not be a good GM, but this guy has been with winning organizations, nearly 20 yeras experience and has worked with Gase before.  Those sound like pretty good qualifications to me.
By the way, the 36-year old Joe Douglas is a British theater director.  I would not want to hire the British guy as our next GM.

I would still hire 36 year old British Theater Director over Mac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

36 years old with zero experience as a GM. Not sure why the media is painting him as a no brainer hire. 

Because some NY Jets fans are never happy regardless of what they do. 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

I don't scout front office staff, so I have no idea.

He seems well regarded, and GM's are generally a crapshoot.  Front Offices are about the entire front office, the organizational structure, the scouting department, and more.  It's rarely just in the GM personally, to be fair, they need to be as much executive manager and final decision maker as anything else.

I don't know for sure if Douglas is that guy, how would I.  99.9% of what he does we fans never, ever get to see.  We literally have no basis to judge him.

So it is what it is.  If he's the guy, we hope for the best.  

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Lith said:

Douglas is in his 40s,  Graduated from University of Richmond in 1999.  Went to work for the Ravens in 2000.  Has nearly 20 years experience in personnel between the Ravens and Eagles.  None of us have any way of knowing who will or will not be a good GM, but this guy has been with winning organizations, nearly 20 yeras experience and has worked with Gase before.  Those sound like pretty good qualifications to me.

By the way, the 36-year old Joe Douglas is a British theater director.  I would not want to hire the British guy as our next GM.

Woody is probably interviewing him as we speak.

Lets take a look at the video tape:

Jets’ GM search: Joe Douglas is current frontrunner? Pros, cons of hiring Eagles’ exec

Updated May 20, 6:41 AM; Posted May 20, 6:28 AM
Jets’ best GM candidate to replace Mike Maccagnan

By Matt Stypulkoski | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

In the days since the Jets fired general manager Mike Maccagnan, one name has consistently popped up as the frontrunner for the job: Eaglesvice president of player personnel Joe Douglas.

Douglas has been with the Eagles since 2016, helping turn the team into a perennial contender. Before that, he spent years in Bears and Ravens scouting departments.

He’s a well-regarded and up-and-coming front office executive, no doubt. But would he be a good fit and smart hire for the Jets?

Here’s a look at the pros and cons, plus a verdict:

PROS

Background as talent evaluator

Let’s be honest: The most vital job of any general manager is finding and securing good players. That’s much more difficult to accomplish when you’re not well versed in what actually makes a good player good. Having a GM with a background in scouting can help streamline the process of identifying needs and targeting the right players to fill them. As we mentioned, Douglas cut his teeth as a scout and also advanced to become the Bears’ college scouting director in 2015 before taking his current job.

Potential package with Daniel Jeremiah

Douglas and Jeremiah worked together with the Ravens from 2003-07. So it makes some sense that reports over the past few days have indicated Jeremiah could come along with Douglas, should he be named the new GM. Remember, the Jets have two major front office holes to fill after also firing VP of player personnel Brian Heimerdinger. So, Jeremiah could fill that role. The current NFL Network draft analyst made his name in scouting and would be beneficial to have aboard as another keen talent evaluator.

Has experience building around a young QB

Obviously, the Jets’ next GM will be responsible for handing Sam Darnold a strong supporting cast and making use of his talents – particularly while he still comes cheap on his rookie deal. Douglas, as the Eagles’ chief talent evaluator, has already proven that he’s capable of executing that game plan; he helped build the Eagles into an annual Super Bowl contender, with quarterback Carson Wentz as the key cog. No reason to believe he can’t replicate that with the Jets.

Good relationship with Adam Gase

Whoever the Jets hire to fill this position, they’ll have to have a certain synergy with Gase. After all, he’s a brand-new head coach, so he’s not going anywhere any time soon. So, at the very least, the next GM will have to believe that Gase was a smart hire for the job and make an effort to listen to his input. That would not be a problem with Douglas, who is close to Gase from their time together with the Bears in 2015, when Gase was the team’s offensive coordinator. That familiarity will be particularly helpful, since acting owner Christopher Johnson is giving Gase a say in who gets the job.

CONS

Potentially giving Gase too much power

Yes, the next general manager will have to get along with Gase. But putting someone who is friends with the head coach in the GM’s chair could be a recipe for disaster. The worst thing the Jets could do is hand Gase a “yes man." His role within the organization has already grown over the last four months, as the Maccagnan firing showed, and that kind of hire would only give him more power – which is totally unearned, given his subpar record over three years as a head coach in Miami.

May not fit “strategic thinker” description

We said that talent evaluation is the most important part of being a general manager – but Johnson has made it clear that he wants more than that. He listed “strategic thinker," “communicator" and “collaborator” among the needed traits. It’s not entirely clear what he means by that, but it seems like Johnson wants to find someone who can both identify talent on a granular level and also take a big-picture view. Douglas has never really had to do the latter. So does he fit the mold of what Johnson wants?

Will he want the job?

This isn’t really within the Jets control, of course, but there’s a better than decent chance that Douglas just won’t want to work in New York. After all, he has a pretty great setup with the Eagles right now. And, if he hangs tight until next offseason, he’ll likely be the most sought-after GM candidate on the market. So is it worth jumping at the Jets job, given the instability? That remains to be seen. But obviously the Jets wouldn’t want to hire anyone who isn’t 100 percent sold on the idea of working for them.

VERDICT

Douglas would definitely be a good fit for the Jets, if they can convince him that this job is worth taking. His successful experience working in a similar framework in Philadelphia is a major selling point and should give the Jets confidence that he’d know how to build a winner. His stellar reputation and the fact that other talented executives and scouts would likely want to join him is another huge bonus. There’s little doubt that he’d be a positive addition to the Jets’ staff, as least on paper.

Matt Stypulkoski may be reached at mstypulkoski@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @M_Stypulkoski. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/05/jets-gm-search-joe-douglas-is-current-frontrunner-pros-cons-of-hiring-eagles-exec.html

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Lith said:

Thanks for clarifying. This whole time I was like what the hell is Woody doing over there in England and why does he think a British singer can be the GM? F***ing sh*t show I tell you.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Lith said:

Just came into the thread to say the same thing. What's funny is that even the Eagles wikipedia page links their Joe Douglas to that dude. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

They're all dart throws. Give me a young, talented, hungry guy any day as opposed to an older set in his way guy who can't adapt with a track record of mediocre ineptitude if at all.

You don’t see a first class organization bring in neophytes. That’s why the Maras brought in Gettleman-a proven commodity.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

I hear ya, but if you can't go to the barrel get one off the tree, its a good tree.

3 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

You're the guy who started different threads saying that Josh Allen and Daniel Jones were both better than Darnold, aren't you?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I am not certain why his age is relevant here...he is not a running back who is over the hump that is a relatively young age for gm but it is not young enough to be a big red flag I don't think either.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

This guy is a bit of a troll if you haven't seen his other threads.

3 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Your options are:

A. Some elite GM lured out of retirement (who?)?

B. A retread with GM experience who is out of a job because he was bad at it (I hear Mike Maccagnan is available.  Or Scot McCloughan, if you don't mind the drinking problem)

or C. An up and comer who's never sat in the GM chair but trained under the best and has the traits needed for you to project success.

Douglas (who spent time in two very successful front offices) is in category 3 - and of those guys, seems to have the best resume.

Which retread would you prefer?

7 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

We should just hire Charley Casserly to alleviate your concern. He's got a ton of experience and the Johnsons know where to write out the check given his previous stints ******* over the Jets

• Upvote 1

Charley Casserly is available.

Everything you heard is that this guy is rock solid. Joe Douglas that is . Another thing that has come on was that Mike Maccagnan was on the verge of being fired scout by the Texans. I think Maccagnan did some good things but when you look at the draft record and that he's bread and butter. He failed plain and simple. Johnson's better get it right or they wasted Darnold 

5 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Have you warmed up since you've learned that he's not a British Theater Director? Or does it not matter because you're really a jint fan here just to stir the pot? 

• Haha 1