JetsFanatic

Gase fires scout, wants to streamline scout operation

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Meh. These moves are pretty benign overall. None of them are the biggest deal but it seems wise for the guy who will not be the GM in a little while to stop playing at one. Not one single move he's made had to be made right now. Thompson wasn't about to sign with another team tomorrow and even if he was it's not the end of the world.  Firing a scout before the new GM has an opportunity to speak with him also seems like a low reward move.  No need to do any of this. 

I think its more likely just Gase making moves to make moves while he has the chance which is not a good idea before we get the new FO in place. 

They are probably guys he doesn't want to coach, or deal with.  Might as well take the trash out while you can

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Well Manish is correct even if h e is a moron. 

Gase is making a lot of moves for a team that is searching for a GM.

and Gase supporters said he was not going to do anything until a gm was selected. Lets see if these are the right moves is all I can say.

The Jets have a new saying fail upwards fast, because Gase has done that

6 minutes ago, flgreen said:

They are probably guys he doesn't want to coach, or deal with.  Might as well take the trash out while you can

Maybe.

Again, I'm not up in arms one way or another but I am just stuck trying to pay attention to the larger picture.  This is weird stuff we're seeing. I'm REALLY hoping we get the GM we want and don't have to go to number 3 or 4 on our list. I just want this behind us so we can watch football.  We sneakily have a nice squad put together and some legit power houses on the coaching staff. Williams, Pollack, Cooter, Jefferson etc. These guys are solid coaches. Some of the highest quality we've had in forever.  Even Gase, if he can get his head out of the FO has me bit excited for Darnold. 

Let's get Douglas and Jeremiah and call this one a day.  I love the idea of a Raven' s trained Ozzie Newsome protege coming into the fray. 

• Upvote 2

I said this in another thread. I wonder if Gase and Christopher Johnson are giving false information to certain FO people to find the leaks that are in that building. And there are plenty. Bill Polian said he used to do that all of the time when he was GM.

• Upvote 1

Idzik manish is back in full force lol. His mission is to get Gase outta here. 

This “outrage” over firing a scout has be a low point for Manish..... wait it is no where near a low point. I fully expect Gase to clean the house of marginal players and marginal personnel. It makes the GM job more attractive as the new GM will not start off his tenure with a firing spree. He will hire his guys to move in with greater ease.

Gase dumping marginal players and signing camp competition big deal. These guys get signed and waived all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Manish is a tool, but he does have a point. An interim GM should not be making structural changes to the FO staff. That should be up to the permanent GM that will be hired.

This is like someone staying over your house for a weekend and calling in contractors to do renovations.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Well Manish is correct even if h e is a moron. 

Gase is making a lot of moves for a team that is searching for a GM.

Agreed.  I have no problem criticizing Manish when he deserves it (which he often does) but this is not one of those cases.

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Maybe.

Again, I'm not up in arms one way or another but I am just stuck trying to pay attention to the larger picture.  This is weird stuff we're seeing. I'm REALLY hoping we get the GM we want and don't have to go to number 3 or 4 on our list. I just want this behind us so we can watch football.  We sneakily have a nice squad put together and some legit power houses on the coaching staff. Williams, Pollack, Cooter, Jefferson etc. These guys are solid coaches. Some of the highest quality we've had in forever.  Even Gase, if he can get his head out of the FO has me bit excited for Darnold. 

Let's get Douglas and Jeremiah and call this one a day.  I love the idea of a Raven' s trained Ozzie Newsome protege coming into the fray. 

All very good points.  I'll be most excited if we can get Douglas and Jeremiah in the FO.  Guys who are highly respected who came from the Eagles and Ravens' organizations (and an Ozzy Newsome protege, no less!) are EXACTLY what the doctor ordered.   I just hope Douglas has full autonomy, rather than Gase.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

All very good points.  I'll be most excited if we can get Douglas and Jeremiah in the FO.  Guys who are highly respected who came from the Eagles and Ravens' organizations (and an Ozzy Newsome protege, no less!) are EXACTLY what the doctor ordered.   I just hope Douglas has full autonomy, rather than Gase.  

Can't hire him without full autonomy.

Id bet they don't even talk to Jeremiah.  He was a college scout for about 8 years, don't see why he should get a FO job.

• Upvote 1

Right. It really is exciting. I’m just having trouble believing anything we hear. Until it’s actually signed I can’t buy into it. Damaged goods over here.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I know Manish is a tool, but here is his tweet

Maybe Gase is firing the scouts........one...at...a...time?

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Dekraker is an DMV guy from Fairfax.  He went to ODU and has been scouting since like '95.  He spent over a decade with the Cardinals, and has been with the Panthers, Redskins and Cowboys.  He seems like a fairly innocuous guy that should be so low down the chain that he would barely register with an interim. 

Part of taking such a  job is when the wheel turns and your boy gets his walking papers, you're probably done too. Time to either find a new slot in another organization or move on to another line of work. Lil'Manish acting like they got rid of Tom Greenway or Hal Newhouse who found that guy in the sticks is a bit absurd; who was the great find Dekraker had? Also the Jets' late round picks have been terrible, though whether that's the scouts, or Maccagnan, no idea, but doesn't make much of an argument to retain anyone. There's nothing substantive to Mehta other than he hates Gase and has lost his sources. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

“He’s here at this time”

aka — he’s a Jet.

Honestly, that may be one of the biggest tells we have gotten so far. I hope it happens soon, the media has been insufferable. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Are you implying that cutting Legget, firing the scout and signing the Punter and Deontay Thompson were time sensitive moves? 

How do you know Douglas wasn't behind every single one of them? I'm still in the belief he was under wraps before Mac was fired.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SMC said:

Manish is a tool, but he does have a point. An interim GM should not be making structural changes to the FO staff. That should be up to the permanent GM that will be hired.

This is like someone staying over your house for a weekend and calling in contractors to do renovations.

Churning of bottom roster/scouts is par for the course.  The contractor analogy is a little over the top.

Seems like someone is finally at least trying to change things up, fire all the scouts, or at least most of them. They are trash. Even if any were good they were too low level to matter. And I can't believe they are really that hard to replace

3 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Seems like someone is finally at least trying to change things up, fire all the scouts, or at least most of them. They are trash. Even if any were good they were too low level to matter. And I can't believe they are really that hard to replace

They're not.

And the new GM will likely have more than a couple of scouts he trusts and wants on his staff.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SMC said:

Actually it's more like someone selling his house and not keeping a contractor on, leaving the choice of contractor to the new home owner.

We don't know who was released, what his job was or if he was actually released.  Could be an expiring contract that was left for the new GM to decide on

14 hours ago, choon328 said:

I said this in another thread. I wonder if Gase and Christopher Johnson are giving false information to certain FO people to find the leaks that are in that building. And there are plenty. Bill Polian said he used to do that all of the time when he was GM.

You have to wonder if this scout was the "source" that leaked the info to Pauline

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RobR said:

How do you know Douglas wasn't behind every single one of them? I'm still in the belief he was under wraps before Mac was fired.

We don't. But what's more likely? A guy who is currently employed by the Eagles is directing moves for another team before he is employed by them or that Gase is making the moves he feels like making while he is the GM?  

We don't have any facts, but what sounds more realistic to you? 

19 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

So you are saying we should be paralyzed until a new GM is hired? This is not a circus, he is conducting business. 

No, I'm saying that if you were running a business and you granted someone an interim title while searching for a replacement which we're assuming will be filled very shortly, you would NEVER give that person, especially one with ZERO experience at the position, autonomy to make a major move like firing someone.    

It seems crazy to me that Gase has been here all of two minutes and all of a sudden he's making front office personnel moves?  This guy must have slipped the Johnson's a love potion or something because to me this is insanity.  

18 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Maybe.

Good point. Howie Rosemann and Eric DeCosta too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

No, I'm saying that if you were running a business and you granted someone an interim title while searching for a replacement which we're assuming will be filled very shortly, you would NEVER give that person, especially one with ZERO experience at the position, autonomy to make a major move like firing someone.    

It seems crazy to me that Gase has been here all of two minutes and all of a sudden he's making front office personnel moves?  This guy must have slipped the Johnson's a love potion or something because to me this is insanity.  

I do understand. I was in management position before I retired and whenever we were in an interim or acting capacity we had full authority everything other than personnel. However in this case I wonder if the Jets know who they are hiring and he may have agreed with these moves. 

11 hours ago, Jetscode1 said:

Churning of bottom roster/scouts is par for the course.  The contractor analogy is a little over the top.

I actually like the analogy, but maybe limit to a kitchen renovation.

3 minutes ago, tuffhand said:

I actually like the analogy, but maybe limit to a kitchen renovation.

The level of these moves it's more like fixing a broken window

20 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

More likely he was just the softest target. The slapfight when Gase inevitably squares off with fellow fake crazy person Gregg Williams is going to be super embarrassing.

51 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

What if the guy he fired was the person leaking to the media that Mac was being fired or that Gase didn't want Bell? Do you keep that guy around just because you haven't hired a GM yet, or do you just can him on the spot?

3 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

We don't. But what's more likely? A guy who is currently employed by the Eagles is directing moves for another team before he is employed by them or that Gase is making the moves he feels like making while he is the GM?  

We don't have any facts, but what sounds more realistic to you? 

I still think the Douglas deal, at least in principle was done before Mac was fired so I doesn't seem farfetched to me that Douglas has had a say in these moves. Again pure speculation on my part but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

23 hours ago, Warfish said:

Like it or not he IS the GM right now.

Till they hire one, it's his show to run.

i suppose if he tells the new gm he wants lee and or leggett off the team the gm will say no.  as for the scout, maybe the guy was mailing it in.

1 hour ago, RobR said:

I still think the Douglas deal, at least in principle was done before Mac was fired so I doesn't seem farfetched to me that Douglas has had a say in these moves. Again pure speculation on my part but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I agree.  Douglas, or whoever the new GM is going to be, must have signed off on these moves.  That's the only way that this makes sense to me.  

On 5/21/2019 at 11:29 AM, flgreen said:

More then likely the entire Scouting staff will be turned over anyhow soon as the new GM is named.  Just a bit odd this guy was singled out to be fired now.

Gase is sending a message by singling this one scout out. I wonder just what the message is and to whom ?