joewilly12

Joe Namath Only the timing of Mike Maccagnan firing surprised me

Joe Namath: ‘Only the timing’ of Mike Maccagnan firing surprised me

May 21, 2019 | 3:37pm | Updated 

Enlarge Image
Joe Namath
Joe NamathAnthony J. Causi

Joe Namath was like most Jets fans when he heard the news last week the team had fired general manager Mike Maccagnan.

It caught him off guard, but not because he thought Maccagnan had done a great job.

“Only the timing of it [surprised me],” Namath said Tuesday. “It wouldn’t have surprised me if it happened last year or if it happened three or four months ago. I know changes are constant if you don’t win.

“For years, I’ve wondered why the talent we get in here isn’t a little bit better. Who’s evaluating these people?”

The greatest player in Jets history sat down with The Post on Tuesday to discuss his new book “All the Way: My Life in Four Quarters” and the current state of the Jets.

Namath said Jets fans need to put their trust in owner Christopher Johnson despite their skepticism.

“I’ve watched and listened to some of the sports shows,” Namath said. “I saw cats coming down pretty hard on Christopher Johnson. It’s legitimate for fans to say, ‘Wait a minute, what are we doing here?’ But one thing I know is nobody wants to win more than Chris, than those players, than the people that are working there. We’ve got to trust that … well, you don’t have to, but I trust it. I know they’re trying hard to win.”

Namath lives in Florida and has watched new Jets coach Adam Gase closely over the past three years while Gase was the coach of the Dolphins. The Jets legend said he believes the franchise made a good hire.

“I liked him with the Dolphins. He disciplined that team,” Namath said. “He had bad luck down there and luck is a part of the game with injuries. I like the way the offense transformed when he came there. He had to weed out some attitude problems there and he still ended up with a decent record. I’m excited about him being here. I think he’s going to be a positive change.”

While Namath believes in the coaching, he thinks the Jets players need to start taking more accountability.

image.gif.f02d235f783bf48805e159ecb00f57ba.gif

“What the players need to do, to me, is establish the leadership in that locker room,” he said. “When we watch games, we see our team beating ourselves, making mistakes, busting coverages, losing poise.”

Then, in his unmistakable voice, Namath gives what he feels is the key word, extending every syllable: “Disssss-ci-ppppppline,” Namath says.

“You play like you practice,” he said. “I know you can’t practice the way we play these days because you can’t have the physicality out there. But the mental part of the game, that is something you have to get and not beat yourself with it.”

Jets fans have been waiting for 50 years for someone to duplicate the magic Namath brought to their team. For his book, Namath went back and watched Super Bowl III. The book has him looking back at that game and then reflecting on his life. Namath said it was the first time he watched the game that made him an icon since 1969 when he watched the film at Shea Stadium.

“It brought back some memories — absolutely,” Namath said. “You see yourself perform not as well as you would like to remember you performed. You miss on a couple of throws … that kind of thing. I marveled at our defense and how they played. Matt Snell, Pete Lammons, our guys did not drop a ball. … There’s nothing about that game I’d change, 16-7 is right where it is, I promise you.”

Namath hopes that current Jets quarterback Sam Darnold can bring the team back to the promised land, but Namath hopes to see the Jets add more talent around him.

“Sam needs help,” Namath said. “We all do out there. You don’t do it on your own.”

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Joe always referring to team, love that.

IMG_0471.thumb.JPG.f6c94c8bed21a41b7c6f8cc54a3188e6.JPG

• Upvote 2

I like that Namath cares that much and is outspoken about the team.  He's generally very optimistic as well.  I think he'll be as happy as any long-suffering Jet fan if we win again.

• Like 1

Aside from the timing???

Aside from that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

4 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

he is their best fan

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tuffhand said:

Lost me when I read :

"Namath said Jets fans need to put their trust in owner Christopher Johnson despite their skepticism."

Ah, a grammarian, I see.  But  I think he meant "have faith", not "trust".  Having faith overcomes skepticism.  Trust is a different animal, founded in experience.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Ah, a grammarian, I see.  But  I think he meant "have faith", not "trust".  Having faith overcomes skepticism.  Trust is a different animal, founded in experience.

Grammar notwithstanding, Johnson deserves neither trust nor faith.

Joe is right. The timing was screwy but it's the Jets. Mac needed to go and I prefer it now as opposed to waiting another 9 months. I wanted it 2 years ago but that didn't happen. The sooner we ripped off the band aid the better.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Joe is right. The timing was screwy but it's the Jets. Mac needed to go and I prefer it now as opposed to waiting another 9 months. I wanted it 2 years ago but that didn't happen. The sooner we ripped off the band aid the better.

Do we really need to be sending woody anymore money? :-)

2 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Do we really need to be sending woody anymore money? :-)

Never, I don't even own a box of band aids. I bleed till it stops on its own or toss some Cayenne pepper on the wound if it doesn't. Johnson and Johnson products are for assholes.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, tuffhand said:

Lost me when I read :

"Namath said Jets fans need to put their trust in owner Christopher Johnson despite their skepticism."

Trust is earned. F Christopher Johnson. I’m tired of blind trust and faith and a bunch of habitual failures. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Never, I don't even own a box of band aids. I bleed till it stops on its own or toss some Cayenne pepper on the wound if it doesn't. Johnson and Johnson products are for assholes.

Holy hell go buy some duct tape dude. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

see that is my point.  Faith is not a deserves thing.  Trust is.

51 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Holy hell go buy some duct tape dude. 

I own duct tape. That's a multipurpose product for winners. I do get more use out of my electrical tape though. None of that Johnson & Johnson stuff will ever be allowed in my house, Q tips? I'm going to push wax back in my ears? I get a 4 dollar bottle of hydrogen peroxide to clean my ears and it lasts a year

22 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I own duct tape. That's a multipurpose product for winners. I do get more use out of my electrical tape though. None of that Johnson & Johnson stuff will ever be allowed in my house, Q tips? I'm going to push wax back in my ears? I get a 4 dollar bottle of hydrogen peroxide to clean my ears and it lasts a year

Damn dude, we need to party! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

It must suck to be the only spokesman of a whole franchise. 

But he does it so very well.

33 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Damn dude, we need to party! 

Name to place and date. I don't think there's anyone here in my 10 years or so I'd rather party with

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Aside from the timing???

Aside from that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

Who cares, it was the right move.  

12 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Three years.

Handled the kneeling protest perfectly

Got rid of Bowles like everyone wanted.

Presided over the moves to get a FQB.

Got rid of Macc

Jets fans still complaining.   Especially the Crazy one who complains about anything and everything Jets without a reason to go along with it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Who cares, it was the right move.  

Timing matters here.  Our new GM search is now considerably harder than it was before.  Instead of picking the best candidate, we now need to pick a candidate who is both available, ok with having Gase as their coach, as well as one who is decidedly aware that NYJ is the place where coaches and GMs come to die.

Further, every player currently on the roster is now subject to being purged by any new regime.  Even including untouchables like Darnold.  Don't think it can happen?  Look no further than the Redskins.

It's also a really poor look for the franchise.  If we believed that Mac was doing his job (and that the offseason was a success), then it means that he was fired b/c his own hand picked coach turned on him (or that the front office turned on him on a whim).  Alternatively, if he wasn't doing his job, why was he kept for so long?  In both cases, it paints a very bleak picture of the process going on within the FO. 

In the meantime, we have an inexperienced GM running things, we potentially have a bunch of players that don't fit our new coaches system (which was what seemed to be the problem that led to this situation in the first place), and we have a coach who is essentially unaccountable b/c they're not 'his guys' for at least a few years.  

So yes, it matters.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Three years.

Handled the kneeling protest perfectly

Got rid of Bowles like everyone wanted.

Presided over the moves to get a FQB.

Got rid of Macc

Jets fans still complaining.   

Made the best HC hire in the NFL this offseason.

Made the best DC hire in the NFL this offseason.

Presided over the moves to land the top offensive and defensive FA’s in the NFL this offseason. 

Successfully executed a rebuild that has the team ahead of schedule and on the precipice of the playoffs.

Oversaw the creative process leading to one of the nicest modern uniform designs in the NFL.

Lowered ticket prices across the entire stadium.

Moronic defeatist Jets fans still don’t get it.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

But he does it so very well.

Careful now....Joe may wanna kiss ya.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Made the best HC hire in the NFL this offseason.

Made the best DC hire in the NFL this offseason.

Presided over the moves to land the top offensive and defensive FA’s in the NFL this offseason. 

Successfully executed a rebuild that has the team ahead of schedule and on the precipice of the playoffs.

Oversaw the creative process leading to one of the nicest modern uniform designs in the NFL.

Lowered ticket prices across the entire stadium.

Moronic defeatist Jets fans still don’t get it.

SAR I

So he increased costs and reduced revenues. Woody not gonna likee...

17 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

What's written on the other side of that napkin? "I resign as HC of NYJ?"

3 hours ago, Hael said:

Timing matters here.  Our new GM search is now considerably harder than it was before.  Instead of picking the best candidate, we now need to pick a candidate who is both available, ok with having Gase as their coach, as well as one who is decidedly aware that NYJ is the place where coaches and GMs come to die.

Further, every player currently on the roster is now subject to being purged by any new regime.  Even including untouchables like Darnold.  Don't think it can happen?  Look no further than the Redskins.

It's also a really poor look for the franchise.  If we believed that Mac was doing his job (and that the offseason was a success), then it means that he was fired b/c his own hand picked coach turned on him (or that the front office turned on him on a whim).  Alternatively, if he wasn't doing his job, why was he kept for so long?  In both cases, it paints a very bleak picture of the process going on within the FO. 

In the meantime, we have an inexperienced GM running things, we potentially have a bunch of players that don't fit our new coaches system (which was what seemed to be the problem that led to this situation in the first place), and we have a coach who is essentially unaccountable b/c they're not 'his guys' for at least a few years.  

So yes, it matters.

Out GM search is easier than before, no way it's harder there's no competion.  Who did we miss out on a couple of months ago? He imaginary scenario that a HC wants nothing more than to build a winner and contender is not a detriment.  Cleveland hired Dorsey with a HC who won ONE game over the two prior seasons. 

BTW, that would be the Dorsey that was fired in KC.  After FA and the draft.  Losers.  

We have an interim GM who has done nothing of consequence.  Released a TE who I assume Macc knew was going, traded Lee in a deal that was already made.  A new GM will be here before decisions that shape the roster and team are made.

Anyone remember KC is dysfunctional, Hunt is a f'up, Reid exercised a major beheading talk?  I sure as shlt don't, could hardly remember that they did.  Love the media and the panicked fanbase we've been a part of.

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Careful now....Joe may wanna kiss ya.

I thought he stopped drinking ?  lol

27 minutes ago, jgb said:

Funny on one hand he gets no credit for turning $635 investment from a bottom of the league team revenue and value into a top two or four 5bil team, the other side of our mouths we should worry that he cost himself revenue.  LOL, really?  

Shockingly the teams value didn't go down because he reduced ticket prices.  Oh wait, improving the roster increases value.  

Dumb ass owner. 

13 hours ago, jack48 said:

Ok, I have no faith in C Johnson.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Funny on one hand he gets no credit for turning $635 investment from a bottom of the league team revenue and value into a top two or four 5bil team, the other side of our mouths we should worry that he cost himself revenue.  LOL, really?  

Shockingly the teams value didn't go down because he reduced ticket prices.  Oh wait, improving the roster increases value.  

Dumb ass owner. 

Joke

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Joke

My apologies, shot way over my head, my bad.  

LOL was wondering 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I like that Namath cares that much and is outspoken about the team.  He's generally very optimistic as well.  I think he'll be as happy as any long-suffering Jet fan if we win again.

I liked when he called games, he used to tell it like is, he'd rip the Jets a new one without hesitation.

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Part of the rebuilding process is retaining your fanbase.

The reason we have so many Cowboys and Dolphins fans in NYC is because the Jets and Giants were so bad in the 70's.  Being fan-friendly while you go 5-11 helps avoid that fate.

SAR I