After Jets fire Maccagnan, trade Darron Lee, cut Jordan Leggett (after recently firing Todd Bowles)...fans still not sure if they should be happy!?!

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Here's how Jets fans SHOULD feel or at least it's acceptable if you do.....

1) There's NO doubt Todd Bowles had to go. Don't feel bad about his firing. He was a TERRIBLE HC.

2) There's no doubt Mike Maccagnan had to go. Don't feel bad about his firing. He was a TERRIBLE GM.

3) If you're concerned about when CJ will hire a GM? Don't worry about it. They're taking their time. 

4) I AM, and I believe others if they feel that Adam Gase is going too far with his GM duties. I would prefer someone who does very little in consideration for the incoming GM. Adam Base is the HC. Jets fans did NOT hire you as GM. We support you coaching the team and that's it.

Re (4), I am miffed because as a Jets fan I was left out of the recruiting process for the GM. I am particularly miffed that Johnson had the nerve to name Gase the interim GM without my express approval. And I am incensed that Gase actually acted in his capacity as interim GM to make changes to my team. This deserves at least a billboard and perhaps a flyover.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Three years (Christopher Johnson):

Handled the kneeling protest perfectly

Got rid of Bowles like everyone wanted.

Presided over the moves to get a FQB.

Got rid of Macc

Jets fans still complaining.   

Made the best HC hire in the NFL this offseason.

Made the best DC hire in the NFL this offseason.

Presided over the moves to land the top offensive and defensive FA’s in the NFL this offseason. 

Successfully executed a rebuild that has the team ahead of schedule and on the precipice of the playoffs.

Oversaw the creative process leading to one of the nicest modern uniform designs in the NFL.

Lowered ticket prices across the entire stadium.

Moronic defeatist Jets fans still don’t get it.

SAR I

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Not sure whether they should buck the trend of perennially complaining about their team, Jets fans seem to be fundamentally confused  about whether it’s acceptable to be satisfied that the team has made at least six of the changes they have begged for the past 12 months.

Faced with the confusion of getting at least 6 things that they’ve been asking for the past year, Jets fans continue to search for things to complain about. Despite their favorite football team firing coach Todd Bowles, firing GM Mike Maccagnan, trading Darron Lee, hiring an offensive head coach and bringing offensive weapons such as Le’Veon Bell to the team for their young quarterback, Sam Darnold, Jets fans continue to keep their hands in their pockets, unable to clap, and search effortlessly for new things to complain about.

Next up - Gase is crazy, Manish and the media are correct, the owner’s family had issues, and we cannot handle a coach making changes that suit his scheme and outlook!  The signing of a second punter and a fifth wide receiver are the latest fuel for the fire against the head coach of the team. 

Also, this needed a new thread because every thought apparently needs a new thread. ?

yep.  i haven't seen any moves that are contrary to the general concensus of jets fans everywhere so far.  sure there's a risk with gase as head coach but it's no greater risk than any other coach they could've brought in.  and one of the chief complaints is they kept bringing in first time hc's. darren lee?  his days were numbered mac or no mac.  leggett?  there are at least 3 or 4 guys ahead of him on the depth chart.  if he wanted to make the team he needed to do better.  bell?  at the end of the day it's only money and the jets are okay cap wise.

there is a lot to be positive about going into this next season.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

1) There's NO doubt Todd Bowles had to go. Don't feel bad about his firing. He was a TERRIBLE HC.

2) There's no doubt Mike Maccagnan had to go. Don't feel bad about his firing. He was a TERRIBLE GM.

3) If you're concerned about when CJ will hire a GM? Don't worry about it. They're taking their time. 

4) I AM, and I believe others if they feel that Adam Gase is going too far with his GM duties. I would prefer someone who does very little in consideration for the incoming GM. Adam Base is the HC. Jets fans did NOT hire you as GM. We support you coaching the team and that's it.

i get the part about gase and his supposed power grab but at the same time he hasn't made any player moves that weren't warranted or even are very significant.  lee and leggett were goners regardless.  the next gm can focus on getting his scouting department together and preparing for the upcoming scouting season and supporting the coach in the pursuit for additional players.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Not sure whether they should buck the trend of perennially complaining about their team, Jets fans seem to be fundamentally confused  about whether it’s acceptable to be satisfied that the team has made at least six of the changes they have begged for the past 12 months.

Faced with the confusion of getting at least 6 things that they’ve been asking for the past year, Jets fans continue to search for things to complain about. Despite their favorite football team firing coach Todd Bowles, firing GM Mike Maccagnan, trading Darron Lee, hiring an offensive head coach and bringing offensive weapons such as Le’Veon Bell to the team for their young quarterback, Sam Darnold, Jets fans continue to keep their hands in their pockets, unable to clap, and search effortlessly for new things to complain about.

Next up - Gase is crazy, Manish and the media are correct, the owner’s family had issues, and we cannot handle a coach making changes that suit his scheme and outlook!  The signing of a second punter and a fifth wide receiver are the latest fuel for the fire against the head coach of the team. 

Also, this needed a new thread because every thought apparently needs a new thread. ?

The Jet fan is a permanently wounded animal, incapable of rational determination.  He/She can only feel the pain, and formulate opinions and courses of action out of that pain.  Cool, reserved analysis is not for the Jet fan, alas.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

I am ALL IN ON GASE! 

And here's why, every Jet fan screamed & hollered that we need to 1- Hire an offensive coach with experience. Done.

So after a rough time in Miami with a starting QB that couldn't stay healthy, Gase tried to play his Bill Belichick card & rid the team of attitude problems, i.e. Jarvis Landry & Jay Ajayi. Then the owner started sticking his nose in there & publically disagreeing with his head coach. 

Im sure Gase learned something from his experiences in Denver, Chicago, and then as head coach in Miami. What he learned was to be a Leader of a football team, you have to believe in your abilities & DO IT YOUR WAY! 

He obviously didn't like what he witnessed here with Macc, this almost lacksadasical attitude to building this team like we have all the time in the world & 8 straight years of losing is acceptable. We as Jet fans could feel that vibe, I'm sure Gase felt it immediately. 

I love a guy that believes in himself & his process. He may go down in flames but at least he's committed to changing the atmosphere around Florham Park. He's a strong minded guy, with an idea of what he wants in a team, knows he has a franchise QB here who is just scraping his capabilities, has the start of a decent defense, and knows exactly what he wants going forward. What he's got most & most importantly is Chris Johnson ear & support. So while Jet fans are slamming CJ for making all the moves they've been screaming for, he seems to be buying into the fact this team needs an attitude adjustment, a new GM that is on the same page as his Head Coach & step back after that and let these developments transform his team to the winners we keep praying for every year.

I've never been this excited since 1998. Except I believe Sam Darnold is far and away the best young QB this franchise has had since Namath. I think we have coaches that know X & Os, can put together game plans based on opponents, can make in game adjustments, know how to best utilize their players & will know what they need to improve. 

We need to support this strong minded coach. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Jet fans did not hire Adam gase.  Chris Johnson did.  And Chris wants him to GM while other teams are GM'ing, until he hires his man?  It is called competing. What is difficult to understand?

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I am ALL IN ON GASE! 

And here's why, every Jet fan screamed & hollered that we need to 1- Hire an offensive coach with experience. Done.

So after a rough time in Miami with a starting QB that couldn't stay healthy, Gase tried to play his Bill Belichick card & rid the team of attitude problems, i.e. Jarvis Landry & Jay Ajayi. Then the owner started sticking his nose in there & publically disagreeing with his head coach. 

Im sure Gase learned something from his experiences in Denver, Chicago, and then as head coach in Miami. What he learned was to be a Leader of a football team, you have to believe in your abilities & DO IT YOUR WAY! 

He obviously didn't like what he witnessed here with Macc, this almost lacksadasical attitude to building this team like we have all the time in the world & 8 straight years of losing is acceptable. We as Jet fans could feel that vibe, I'm sure Gase felt it immediately. 

I love a guy that believes in himself & his process. He may go down in flames but at least he's committed to changing the atmosphere around Florham Park. He's a strong minded guy, with an idea of what he wants in a team, knows he has a franchise QB here who is just scraping his capabilities, has the start of a decent defense, and knows exactly what he wants going forward. What he's got most & most importantly is Chris Johnson ear & support. So while Jet fans are slamming CJ for making all the moves they've been screaming for, he seems to be buying into the fact this team needs an attitude adjustment, a new GM that is on the same page as his Head Coach & step back after that and let these developments transform his team to the winners we keep praying for every year.

I've never been this excited since 1998. Except I believe Sam Darnold is far and away a best young QB this franchise has had since Namath. I think we have coaches that know X & Os, can put together game plans based on opponents, can make in game adjustments, know how to best utilize their players & will know what they need to improve. 

People whine about Gase's issues with players. I want a coach who gets into attitude guys' faces.  And Point Two, Miami is a dysfunctional organization. We are supposed to take their word for anything?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I was not a fan of the Gase hire at all. I have said time and again that when an HC is fired from one team and goes directly to another the next season it doesn't work. There have been some exceptions to this but they are rare. That being said I am going to give Gase the benefit of the doubt and  I like what has been done so far. Macc had to go, Lee had no place on this team, and Leggett was a JAG.

I'm happy with the moves so far and I am looking forward to the Season. I don't think they make the playoffs but expect to see some improvement. 8 wins would double the win total from last season and would be  a huge improvement. That's about what I expect.

I don't give a damn about all the other drama and bullsh*t because that is simply what it is. How gives a damn about what Mehta thinks? The guy is podcast bound once the DN folds and will probably not be heard from again on a relevant level.

Rejoice Jet Fans. Sam is still here and that is what matter's. Hopefully crazy eyes Gase can develop him some more and Sam can take the next step.  I think Sam is talented enough that He will take that step even with Gase as the HC. If he can show improvement with Bates and Bowles running the show he can do just about anything. It's going to be a hell of a ride but it will be fun.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Presided over the moves to land the top offensive and defensive FA’s in the NFL this offseason. 

Successfully executed a rebuild that has the team ahead of schedule and on the precipice of the playoffs.

Oversaw the creative process leading to one of the nicest modern uniform designs in the NFL.

SAR I

Hired psychopathic head coach with history of destroying teams and because Payton manning says he is coool.

Fires gm after draft but more importantly after hireing head coach who now will get paired with a gm who will not have the ability to bring his own guy in (cause that worked well for us last time)

Gives psychopathic head coach control over roster so he can trade away or cut all the players as he sees fit.

Allows information to come out that psychopathic head coach never wanted the top free agents we acquired and does not think they are worth what we paid them.

You guys are right this organization is killing it.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

24 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Hired psychopathic head coach with history of destroying teams and because Payton manning says he is coool.

Fires gm after draft but more importantly after hireing head coach who now will get paired with a gm who will not have the ability to bring his own guy in (cause that worked well for us last time)

Gives psychopathic head coach control over roster so he can trade away or cut all the players as he sees fit.

Allows information to come out that psychopathic head coach never wanted the top free agents we acquired and does not think they are worth what we paid them.

You guys are right this organization is killing it.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

What teams did Gase destroy?

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

You realize your first 5 points were all Macc's doing, and he's the one we just fired right?  

The 6th is an ownership decision that would never have been made if they had a better product on the field to promote..

The last point is you, being you. A headstrong, optimistic fan, which is fine by me. Balances things out.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Mac picked Gase

Mac picked G. Williams

Mac got the best offensive and defensive FA.  Gase apparently didn’t want them.

The team is ahead of schedule???

Uniforms?  Seriously???

They did NOT lower all prices.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

My favorite thing is when Jets fans talk about Jets fans as if they are not Jets fans. 

What's equally humorous is the attempt to minimize opposing discussion points by the addition of labels and blanket statements.  Opinions are fine until met with non conforming opinions. Then the labeling begins.  That's something children and politicians do. 

So I will remind everyone that this is a NY Jets message board. We come here to discuss points on one of the least important aspects of our lives. Truth is I spend far too much time here myself. :)  We are all damaged Jets fans No matter how much one would want to exclude themselves from that group to make a point. Sorry. 

But to play the game I will add a few points from the mythical Jets fan group, that you somehow are not apart of for your purposes, mentioned in the OP.  I'll add that I am primarily a Homer Jets fan in most instances. 

Here is the potential problem with one of your main points, Adam Gase had a personnel issue with the two previous orgs he has been with. Not just one. Two. Here is a random headline I just found on a Denver site. 

Adam Gase is apparently one of the league’s biggest whiners. It’s no wonder he didn’t get the head coaching job in Denver…

Sure we got an offensive minded coach with experience and that counts for something, but you do realize that he was not our first choice. He was one of the coaches we wanted to force on Matt Rhule. We wanted him to be our OC and he was willing to take that job.  No one else wanted him as a HC.

We all know about the Miami stuff, but we've chosen to make it the Fins problem and not Gase's. I get it. I do it too. I want the guy to be successful here. But it does seem that Gase has a major personnel based issue everywhere he goes.  The idea that he came in here and immediately had a problem with everyone in the building. (Macc, heimey, Williams, Bell etc.) is absolutely reason for concern at minimum. And the hiding from the cameras during the draft is... what the hell was that? 

Macc needed to go. Fine. I'm good with it and I'm in. I have the timing issue and wish they gave a new guy the 3rd pick and all that, but oh well. That is what it is. But Gase coming in and basically gutting the house, while potentially warranted, is more of the same for him. We just have a weak owner so it worked here. It didn't work with Elway and Miami fired him. 

If we pay attention to his track record it is prudent(while fans have no say) to at least question the moves he makes. I do not trust this guy, yet I want very badly for him to be the next Belichick.  It can happen and I'm rooting for it. The thing I'm not rooting for is for this lunatic to consistently have issue after issue and I'm not sold on his ability to build a team.  It's a concern. 

You talk about the talent brought in this offseason with Bell being one of the names you mentioned. Well, if Bell wasn't locked into  a guaranteed contract, Gase could very well be trying to get rid of him. That's the guy we have.  We wouldn't even have him if Gase had his way. So come on. 

Anyway, I can't wait to have the GM. I am hoping it's Douglas because he seems to be a guy Gase can work with

If we can't discuss this stuff here, then where? Where are we supposed to go to talk about this stuff? WHERE I ASK YOU??  :) 

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

My favorite thing is when Jets fans talk about Jets fans as if they are not Jets fans. 

What's equally humorous is the attempt to minimize opposing discussion points by the addition of labels and blanket statements.  Opinions are fine until met with non conforming opinions. Then the labeling begins.  That's something children and politicians do. 

So I will remind everyone that this is a NY Jets message board. We come here to discuss points on one of the least important aspects of our lives. Truth is I spend far too much time here myself. :)  We are all damaged Jets fans No matter how much one would want to exclude themselves from that group to make a point. Sorry. 

But to play the game I will add a few points from the mythical Jets fan group, that you somehow are not apart of for your purposes, mentioned in the OP.  I'll add that I am primarily a Homer Jets fan in most instances. 

Here is the potential problem with one of your main points, Adam Gase had a personnel issue with the two previous orgs he has been with. Not just one. Two. Here is a random headline I just found on a Denver site. 

Adam Gase is apparently one of the league’s biggest whiners. It’s no wonder he didn’t get the head coaching job in Denver…

Sure we got an offensive minded coach with experience and that counts for something, but you do realize that he was not our first choice. He was one of the coaches we wanted to force on Matt Rhule. We wanted him to be our OC and he was willing to take that job.  No one else wanted him as a HC.

We all know about the Miami stuff, but we've chosen to make it the Fins problem and not Gase's. I get it. I do it too. I want the guy to be successful here. But it does seem that Gase has a major personnel based issue everywhere he goes.  The idea that he came in here and immediately had a problem with everyone in the building. (Macc, heimey, Williams, Bell etc.) is absolutely reason for concern at minimum. And the hiding from the cameras during the draft is... what the hell was that? 

Macc needed to go. Fine. I'm good with it and I'm in. I have the timing issue and wish they gave a new guy the 3rd pick and all that, but oh well. That is what it is. But Gase coming in and basically gutting the house, while potentially warranted, is more of the same for him. We just have a weak owner so it worked here. It didn't work with Elway and Miami fired him. 

If we pay attention to his track record it is prudent(while fans have no say) to at least question the moves he makes. I do not trust this guy, yet I want very badly for him to be the next Belichick.  It can happen and I'm rooting for it. The thing I'm not rooting for is for this lunatic to consistently have issue after issue and I'm not sold on his ability to build a team.  It's a concern. 

You talk about the talent brought in this offseason with Bell being one of the names you mentioned. Well, if Bell wasn't locked into  a guaranteed contract, Gase could very well be trying to get rid of him. That's the guy we have.  We wouldn't even have him if Gase had his way. So come on. 

Anyway, I can't wait to have the GM. I am hoping it's Douglas because he seems to be a guy Gase can work with

If we can't discuss this stuff here, then where? Where are we supposed to go to talk about this stuff? WHERE I ASK YOU??  :) 

Spot on.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Mind if I wait for results to be “happy?”

1 minute ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I mean, I think it's fine to feel optimistic about what's happening, but to say that you can't understand any other viewpoint is more on you than on the differing opinions.

14 wins over the last 3 years and those complaining were called "whiners".  This is JN. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I am ALL IN ON GASE! 

I've never been this excited since 1998. Except I believe Sam Darnold is far and away the best young QB this franchise has had since Namath. I think we have coaches that know X & Os, can put together game plans based on opponents, can make in game adjustments, know how to best utilize their players & will know what they need to improve. 

Great post.

Think of it this way.  All things being equal, hypothetically, you put Gase and Gregg Williams in the jobs they have now on the 2018 Jets, the 2018 Jets were an 8 win team...easily.  And that was still with Sam Darnold having to do a lot all by himself, with the garbage roster courtesy of Maccagnan.  He did the last quarter of the season for sure, being the highest ranked QB in the league.

Now you take that 22 year old QB who Tony Romo projects as “the next Peyton Manning, the best QB in the NFL in a few years”, give him one of the best RBs in the league, add a few other weapons for him, maybe one of the best being that he’s very smart and has a year under his belt with more time to study, a HC who knows a little something about QBing, who not only would have probably pulled the plug on the Spencer Long situation within the very first half he saw it, not throw him out there 9 CONSECUTIVE WEEKS, endangering the crown jewel of the organization (Local Media SCARED to say ANYTHING, scared to ever criticize Bowles).  A DC who knows more about Defense, more about making adjustments than Bowles and his friend Rogers combined......you’re going to tell me the Jets won’t be on the cusp of winning 10 games and probably being a Wildcard team?

Some are disappointed that the CEO cannot make the simplest most common sense move at the proper time.

The guy with the ultimate power with this team knows nothing, is naive and is still here.

Gase now gets a two year 100% free ride because this past off season was 'mccagnans'

15 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Great post.

Think of it this way.  All things being equal, hypothetically, you put Gase and Gregg Williams in the jobs they have now on the 2018 Jets AS MAC DID IN 2019, the 2018 Jets were an 8 win team...easily.  And that was still with Sam Darnold having to do a lot all by himself, with the garbage roster courtesy of Maccagnan.  He did the last quarter of the season for sure, being the highest ranked QB in the league.

Now you take that 22 year old QB who Tony Romo projects as “the next Peyton Manning, the best QB in the NFL in a few years”, give him one of the best RBs in the league MAC GOT HIM GASE DIDNT WANT HIM add a few other weapons for him MAC GOT THEM TOO, maybe one of the best being that he’s very smart and has a year under his belt with more time to study, a HC who knows a little something about QBing, BASED ON NOTHING who not only would have probably pulled the plug on the Spencer Long situation within the very first half he saw it, not throw him out there 9 CONSECUTIVE WEEKS, endangering the crown jewel of the organization (Local Media SCARED to say ANYTHING, scared to ever criticize Bowles).  A DC who knows more about Defense, more about making adjustments than Bowles and his friend Rogers combined......you’re going to tell me the Jets won’t be on the cusp of winning 10 games and probably being a Wildcard team?

The local media was scared to criticize Bowles???  On what planet did that happen???

oh I forgot, it’s the media’s fault!

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Miami is a dysfunctional franchise and he still had success when his QB was healthy.  We of all fans should know how scrub backup QB's can render any decent coach a buffoon.  Name a single person involved with the NFL whose reputation and judgement is superior to Peyton Manning.

The Jets operate with the GM and HC as equals and both reporting into the Owner.  So this time the HC will have some say on who the GM is.  Adam Gase was a fantastic OC and a very good young HC.  Mike Maccagnan was a strong scout and a mediocre GM.  Who would you want having influence on where the Jets go from 2019 to 2025 with Sam Darnold?  I'll take the HC, thanks.

It's May.  We're done obtaining players for the season (net of emergency scrubs on the waiver wire).  GM's don't decide who gets cut in training camp.  Coaches and Coordinators do.  Gase and Williams were going to make the call on guys like Lee and Leggett, not Dunkin.

The media makes stuff up all the time.  I don't believe a word of it.  You shouldn't either.  We live in the worst era of sports reporting and sports integrity in human history.  The writers themselves are the story.  The subject matter they make up and the phony sources they site and the agendas they push are not worthy of our consideration.  The Mehta's of the world are even ruining guys like Cimini who needs to play the vicious-for-clicks game just to stay employed.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Miami is a dysfunctional franchise and he still had success when his QB was healthy.  We of all fans should know how scrub backup QB's can render any decent coach a buffoon.  Name a single person involved with the NFL whose reputation and judgement is superior to Peyton Manning.

The Jets operate with the GM and HC as equals and both reporting into the Owner.  So this time the HC will have some say on who the GM is.  Adam Gase was a fantastic OC and a very good young HC.  Mike Maccagnan was a strong scout and a mediocre GM.  Who would you want having influence on where the Jets go from 2019 to 2025 with Sam Darnold?  I'll take the HC, thanks.

It's May.  We're done obtaining players for the season (net of emergency scrubs on the waiver wire).  GM's don't decide who gets cut in training camp.  Coaches and Coordinators do.  Gase and Williams were going to make the call on guys like Lee and Leggett, not Dunkin.

The media makes stuff up all the time.  I don't believe a word of it.  You shouldn't either.  We live in the worst era of sports reporting and sports integrity in human history.  The writers themselves are the story.  The subject matter they make up and the phony sources they site and the agendas they push are not worthy of our consideration.  The Mehta's of the world are even ruining guys like Cimini who needs to play the vicious-for-clicks game just to stay employed.

SAR I

It’s the media’s fault!!!