After Jets fire Maccagnan, trade Darron Lee, cut Jordan Leggett (after recently firing Todd Bowles)...fans still not sure if they should be happy!?!

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

You realize your first 5 points were all Macc's doing, and he's the one we just fired right?  

The 6th is an ownership decision that would never have been made if they had a better product on the field to promote..

The last point is you, being you. A headstrong, optimistic fan, which is fine by me. Balances things out.

You realize that CEO's don't hang out on yacht's drinking champagne all day, right?

Christopher Johnson is young and energetic and involved in all aspects of the $3 billion dollar family business that he has been entrusted to run.  Woody didn't hire a new CEO and a President of Football Operations and name his brother "owner in absentia".  He named his brother CEO and CEO's are knees-deep in all the major decisions.  If you really think that CJ didn't authorize the blockbuster trade with the Colts last year to grab Sam, the hiring of Adam Gase, the hiring of Gregg Williams, the blockbuster signings of Osemele, Bell, and Mosely you need your head examined.  CEO's make all the big decisions. 

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, SR24 said:

I’ve never been more excited for a season actually really excited to see Jachai Polite play 

Same here, so excited for Week 1 and our 10-6 record.  But I've loved this offseason more than any other and I'm going to be sorry to see it go:

Bowles fired.

Boyer retained.

Gase and Williams hired.

Free agency slam-dunks landing the best offensive and defensive players available.

New uniform speculation, debate, and announcement of nicest modern uni's in the NFL.

Favorable draft including stud who many believe was the best overall player.

Maccgnan fired.

Dysfunction obliterated.

SAR I

2 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Mac picked Gase

Mac picked G. Williams

Mac got the best offensive and defensive FA.  Gase apparently didn’t want them.

The team is ahead of schedule???

Uniforms?  Seriously???

They did NOT lower all prices.  

Everywhere you typed "Mac" is actually "Christopher Johnson".

CJ took the reins of the Jets and announced the rebuild in 2017 after atrocious seasons with Fitzpatrick and Petty and McCown.  Rebuilding teams have 3, 4, or 5 wins.  Here in 2019 we are poised to go 8-8 as a valid expectation and with a favorable schedule and ass-kicking coaching staff on both sides of the ball, we have legitimate playoff potential for the first time in 10 years.

Our new uniforms are hot and are going to look great on the field.  Our 20-something players and leaders love them and that's all that matters.

Every ticket in MetLife Stadium is less expensive than it was on opening day 2010.  CJ lowered most of them further in 2017.

Ownership is not the Jets problem.  Bad drafts and the New England Patriots are.  Maccagnan, like Idzik before him, was a lousy draft picker.  Gase knows the AFC East intimately and has beaten Bill Belichick and Tom Brady before.  Don't be that sad Jets fans in January because the team is winning playoff games and you are miserable because you had the wrong take in May and decided we were going to suck.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

@SAR I Here's what's funny. I actually agree with you in the fact I have no problem with Chris Johnson running the team. However the reason I feel that way is because I think he is the type to hire someone and then stay out of their way.

There is a big difference between a CEO who makes the big decisions, and one who signs off on them. When it comes to football, I guess you feel CJ is the former. I feel he is the latter.

BTW Is it really necessary for you to include remarks like "you must need to have your head examined" every time someone doesn't buy 100% of what you're selling? Civility isn't a sign of weakness on a message board my friend. I know you're better then that.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You realize that CEO's don't hang out on yacht's drinking champagne all day, right?

Christopher Johnson is young and energetic and involved in all aspects of the $3 billion dollar family business that he has been entrusted to run.  Woody didn't hire a new CEO and a President of Football Operations and name his brother "owner in absentia".  He named his brother CEO and CEO's are knees-deep in all the major decisions.  If you really think that CJ didn't authorize the blockbuster trade with the Colts last year to grab Sam, the hiring of Adam Gase, the hiring of Gregg Williams, the blockbuster signings of Osemele, Bell, and Mosely you need your head examined.  CEO's make all the big decisions. 

SAR I

CJ is 60 years old, and because he is "involved in all aspects of the $3 billion dollar family business" doesn't make him competent.

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

The local media was scared to criticize Bowles???  On what planet did that happen???

oh I forgot, it’s the media’s fault!

The media is only partly responsible. The main responsibility lies with Maccagnan and Bowles, 2 blatant incompetents way over their heads in jobs they should have never had.

And yes if the media didn’t handle the situation with kid gloves they both would have been gone years ago....what planet do you live on?

Can you explain why Mehta carried Bowles water for almost his entire tenure, protecting him at almost every turn, after wrecking Doug Marrone’s chance at the HC job, and you could hear a broadcaster (Arians) say that Bowles was doing an “outstanding job” almost at the end of his 14-40 run.  How Bill Polian could also call Bowles “an outstanding coach” after he was FINALLY fired and that “none of what happened under his watch was his fault”?

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Many fans are happy with the moves, including me, the team is better than it was two weeks ago - no doubt 

The Jets have provided enough pain for fans over the years so we need to stop bashing each other, should celebrate that we are still alive and mostly sane...

+1

Opening day is going to be insane.  I wouldn't want to be the Buffalo Bills facing the MetLife crowd as Bell, Osemele, Mosely, and Williams join Adams, Darnold, Herndon, and Enunwa with those psycho animal Gase and Williams on the sidelines.  All the fans in their new jersey's. 

Playing the SOJ victim isn't appropriate this season.  I beg you malcontents to come aboard the 10-6 train.  We don't blame you.  You are programmed to be negative and downtrodden, we get that.  But you can trust your fellow Jets fans and those assembled at Florham Park this time.  Let's go.  Get onboard.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I complain a lot but I love what has happened  wasnt big on Gase but am happy with Mac gone I love the direction the franchise is taking I still think Gase is still an improvement over what we had at GM and coach. I think a lot of these fans are Mac apologists because they think that he somehow was responsible for getting Darnold. Which in Mac fashion fell to him just like The other top 5 picks. Mac reminds me of Mr Magoo where he blindly walks through life facing certain death and stuff just happens. That's the way Mac ran this franchise blindly.

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

I am ALL IN ON GASE! 

And here's why, every Jet fan screamed & hollered that we need to 1- Hire an offensive coach with experience. Done.

So after a rough time in Miami with a starting QB that couldn't stay healthy, Gase tried to play his Bill Belichick card & rid the team of attitude problems, i.e. Jarvis Landry & Jay Ajayi. Then the owner started sticking his nose in there & publically disagreeing with his head coach. 

Im sure Gase learned something from his experiences in Denver, Chicago, and then as head coach in Miami. What he learned was to be a Leader of a football team, you have to believe in your abilities & DO IT YOUR WAY! 

He obviously didn't like what he witnessed here with Macc, this almost lacksadasical attitude to building this team like we have all the time in the world & 8 straight years of losing is acceptable. We as Jet fans could feel that vibe, I'm sure Gase felt it immediately. 

I love a guy that believes in himself & his process. He may go down in flames but at least he's committed to changing the atmosphere around Florham Park. He's a strong minded guy, with an idea of what he wants in a team, knows he has a franchise QB here who is just scraping his capabilities, has the start of a decent defense, and knows exactly what he wants going forward. What he's got most & most importantly is Chris Johnson ear & support. So while Jet fans are slamming CJ for making all the moves they've been screaming for, he seems to be buying into the fact this team needs an attitude adjustment, a new GM that is on the same page as his Head Coach & step back after that and let these developments transform his team to the winners we keep praying for every year.

I've never been this excited since 1998. Except I believe Sam Darnold is far and away the best young QB this franchise has had since Namath. I think we have coaches that know X & Os, can put together game plans based on opponents, can make in game adjustments, know how to best utilize their players & will know what they need to improve. 

We need to support this strong minded coach. 

1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Great post.

Think of it this way.  All things being equal, hypothetically, you put Gase and Gregg Williams in the jobs they have now on the 2018 Jets, the 2018 Jets were an 8 win team...easily.  And that was still with Sam Darnold having to do a lot all by himself, with the garbage roster courtesy of Maccagnan.  He did the last quarter of the season for sure, being the highest ranked QB in the league.

Now you take that 22 year old QB who Tony Romo projects as “the next Peyton Manning, the best QB in the NFL in a few years”, give him one of the best RBs in the league, add a few other weapons for him, maybe one of the best being that he’s very smart and has a year under his belt with more time to study, a HC who knows a little something about QBing, who not only would have probably pulled the plug on the Spencer Long situation within the very first half he saw it, not throw him out there 9 CONSECUTIVE WEEKS, endangering the crown jewel of the organization (Local Media SCARED to say ANYTHING, scared to ever criticize Bowles).  A DC who knows more about Defense, more about making adjustments than Bowles and his friend Rogers combined......you’re going to tell me the Jets won’t be on the cusp of winning 10 games and probably being a Wildcard team?

I really thought you two were the same person until just now. I just couldn't believe there are actually TWO unbelievably upbeat people here. Now that I've seen you both post in the same thread on the same day, I'll admit I was wrong.

Just kidding guys. Stay positive!!!  ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Some are disappointed that the CEO cannot make the simplest most common sense move at the proper time.

The guy with the ultimate power with this team knows nothing, is naive and is still here.

Gase now gets a two year 100% free ride because this past off season was 'mccagnans'

When a team is rebuilding, they need rebuilding people.  When a team is done with the rebuild and is ready to compete, they need competitive people.

Bowles was the only person who would take the job.  Maccagnan was a reach, a scout who no one else viewed as the next big thing.  Bowles was a people-person, someone who was player-friendly.  Kept a calm demeanor through all the losses and all the tough pressers.  Maccagnan was a quiet executive, someone who wasn't going to ruffle feathers or make waves in Florham Park.  Those are the types of personalities you need in the tough times.

Gase is an offensive genius and the best available OC this off-season and one who is perfect to mold a young quarterback.  And as an experienced HC in our own division he knows how to manage a team, has a great head start with all the homework he did in the AFCE.  Williams is a defensive genius and the best available DC this off-season, a tiger, a guy the D is going to fight for.  These two beasts are the types of personalities you need when you're ready to compete.

Bowles and Maccagnan were babysitters and pacifiers.  Gase and Williams are leaders and animals.  Culture, changed.  Dysfunction, gone.  Logical business plan from our CEO transitions the front office from those who support a rebuild to those who go for Championships.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

28 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Here's what's funny. I actually agree with you in the fact I have no problem with Chris Johnson running the team. However the reason I feel that way is because I think he is the type to hire someone and then stay out of their way.

There is a big difference between a CEO who makes the big decisions, and one who signs off on them. When it comes to football, I guess you feel CJ is the former. I feel he is the latter.

CJ isn't Robert Kraft or Jerry Jones but it's because he's only been doing this for 2 seasons.  He's essentially a rookie learning on the job.  He isn't incompetent.  He's just inexperienced.  A good rookie CEO (or any new executive in any field for that matter) spends his first year learning from those around him, then asserts himself in the second year, then begins to dominate in his third.  I think what we're seeing this month is Mr. Johnson transitioning from 'learner' to 'leader'.  Along the way, I think he gave the order to trade up to the top of the 2018 draft to get a quarterback, decisively got Gase and Williams instead of procrastinating and taking leftovers, and got rid of Maccagnan to get rid of whatever conflicts existed between personnel and coaching departments.  I think we're both right.

33 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

BTW Is it really necessary for you to include remarks like "you must need to have your head examined" every time someone doesn't buy 100% of what you're selling? Civility isn't a sign of weakness on a message board my friend. I know you're better then that.

I apologize.  That wasn't a good choice of words.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, tuffhand said:

CJ is 60 years old, and because he is "involved in all aspects of the $3 billion dollar family business" doesn't make him competent.

Are the Jets in better shape in May 2019 than we were in May 2017?  Do most of us think we are have 8-8 talent and with a few wins from competent, professional coaching and creative offensive playmaking perhaps a playoff team?

That's CJ demonstrating his competence.  That's CJ demonstrating a CEO who is learning and growing on the job.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

How so?

If Gase and Maccagnan were at odds for the next 3 years, that's dysfunction.  Second floor and first floor of Florham Park not working together.

If Gase and the new GM are partners for the next 3 years, that's function.  Second and first floors in sync with a common goal.

The GM is not the boss of the HC.  They are equals reporting into the CEO.  But they need to get along.  CJ chose to let the new HC stay and be a part of the decision making process to find a guy that shares their vision.  The Jets had a rebuilding FO during the tough times.  Now that the rebuild is over and we are competitive again, it's time for a winning FO.  Different types of people with different philosophies to lead different strategies at different times.

SAR I

19 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I really thought you two were the same person until just now. I just couldn't believe there are actually TWO unbelievably upbeat people here. Now that I've seen you both post in the same thread on the same day, I'll admit I was wrong.

Just kidding guys. Stay positive!!!  ?

“Positivity” based on FACTS.

Thats how I see both posts.  For instance if Ryan Fitzpatrick were starting at QB in 2019 I would not be positive.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If Gase and Maccagnan were at odds for the next 3 years, that's dysfunction.  Second floor and first floor of Florham Park not working together.

If Gase and the new GM are partners for the next 3 years, that's function.  Second and first floors in sync with a common goal.

The GM is not the boss of the HC.  They are equals reporting into the CEO.  But they need to get along.  CJ chose to let the new HC stay and be a part of the decision making process to find a guy that shares their vision.  The Jets had a rebuilding FO during the tough times.  Now that the rebuild is over and we are competitive again, it's time for a winning FO.  Different types of people with different philosophies to lead different strategies at different times.

SAR I

Let me restate this more succinctly. 

Paragraph 1: What we have been doing is dysfunctional. 

Paragraph 2: What would be functional.

Paragraph 3:  We are going to keep doing what we have been doing. 

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Are the Jets in better shape in May 2019 than we were in May 2017?  Do most of us think we are have 8-8 talent and with a few wins from competent, professional coaching and creative offensive playmaking perhaps a playoff team?

That's CJ demonstrating his competence.  That's CJ demonstrating a CEO who is learning and growing on the job.

SAR I

Johnson recently said that after owning the team for 2+ years he finally spent more time in the facility to do a deep dive into the team.  That was AFTER he gave Mac $125mm to spend on free agents his coach apparently didn’t want.  Ditto with the draft.  

If he wasn’t on a yacht sipping champagne wtf was he???  He wasn’t in Florham Park, that’s for sure!

So he’s learning on the job that he should be in the office most days?  Brilliant!

He’s young and energetic???  Where did you get that one from???

1 minute ago, BettyBoop said:

Johnson recently said that after owning the team for 2+ years he finally spent more time in the facility to do a deep dive into the team.  That was AFTER he gave Mac $125mm to spend on free agents his coach apparently didn’t want.  Ditto with the draft.  

If he wasn’t on a yacht sipping champagne wtf was he???  He wasn’t in Florham Park, that’s for sure!

So he’s learning on the job that he should be in the office most days?  Brilliant!

If we take it for a fact that Todd Bowles was a weak head coach and Mike Maccagnan was a lousy GM, how exactly did the Jets go from a 4-12 rebuilding team to an 8-8 caliber squad that prized free agents, coaches, and coordinators want to work for?

Nah, can't be our CEO.  Can't be that.  So what's your theory?  Maccagnan was the second coming of Brian Cashman?  Bowles was Bill Belichick and we didn't see the signs?

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I sure do love the regular “I’m a better fan than you” threads. 

It's not really that.  It's card-carrying SOJ fans stuck in a downtrodden rut who go too comfortable there and now find they enjoy that more than finding some modicum of optimism.   They're dozens of Joe Beningo's, making a career out of playing the pathetic Jets fan victim.  The media knows this and they spoon feed them every time something goes awry at Florham Park.

It's not that I'm a better fan than them.  I simply don't think they are fans at all.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Here's how Jets fans SHOULD feel or at least it's acceptable if you do.....

1) There's NO doubt Todd Bowles had to go. Don't feel bad about his firing. He was a TERRIBLE HC.

2) There's no doubt Mike Maccagnan had to go. Don't feel bad about his firing. He was a TERRIBLE GM.

3) If you're concerned about when CJ will hire a GM? Don't worry about it. They're taking their time. 

4) I AM, and I believe others if they feel that Adam Gase is going too far with his GM duties. I would prefer someone who does very little in consideration for the incoming GM. Adam Base is the HC. Jets fans did NOT hire you as GM. We support you coaching the team and that's it.

What I bolded is exactly the problem with a lot of fans. They think they have some sort of power or influence and they don't. Everyone just come to terms with the fact that any organization only cares about your money. They don't care about how you "feel" or what you "think". They'd step over your dying body to sell a season ticket to the next person. That's the reality of professional sports.

And the actual Owner of the Jets did just make Gase the interim GM so he's doing exactly what he was hired to do until the new GM comes in. And the moves he's made are pretty much what the vast majority of fans wanted done. He's done nothing crazy or controversial. He's doing what Macc didn't have the balls to do.

15 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

He didn't say he spent more time in the facility, that's either a misquote or a lie by you. He said he spent more time with the FO to find out what the problem was. Most Owners don't sit in on meetings with scouts and that's what CJ was talking about when he said he immersed himself into the FO. 

Johnson said and I quote “I (recently) made the decision to get kind of deeply embedded in this organization”.  In other words I wasn’t paying attention for two years.

Wtf was he doing?  Wouldn’t you want to do this BEFORE you give your GM who you are about to fire carte blanche to your offseason!  

The circus is back in town.  

Oh yeah, it’s the media’s fau!

6 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Johnson said and I quote “I (recently) made the decision to get kind of deeply embedded in this organization”.  In other words I wasn’t paying attention for two years.

Wtf was he doing?  Wouldn’t you want to do this BEFORE you give your GM who you are about to fire carte blanche to your offseason!  

Deeply embedded, not the same thing as going to the facility more often like you suggested he said. 

Most owners don't get involved at all with their teams on a day to day basis. They get involved in big decisions that require money or a franchise altering trade. There are very few owners in any professional sport that get involved heavily day to day. You're just nitpicking.

While the team is better...they still...

Gave an $85 Million contract to a middle linebacker

Drafted defense with their first two pick, including another DL at #3 overall 

It just seemed to me that they still don't understand that it's about the QB.  Sam should be the only thing that matters right now.

Hopefully the new GM gets it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Until we see the results, i.e. wins, there is no way of knowing if we are in better shape.

Also, we are supposed to overlook CJ's incompetence from May 2017 to May 2019, because he's "growing"?

What is he, a 60 year old plant? Then again..

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Not sure whether they should buck the trend of perennially complaining about their team, Jets fans seem to be fundamentally confused  about whether it’s acceptable to be satisfied that the team has made at least six of the changes they have begged for the past 12 months.

Faced with the confusion of getting at least 6 things that they’ve been asking for the past year, Jets fans continue to search for things to complain about. Despite their favorite football team firing coach Todd Bowles, firing GM Mike Maccagnan, trading Darron Lee, hiring an offensive head coach and bringing offensive weapons such as Le’Veon Bell to the team for their young quarterback, Sam Darnold, Jets fans continue to keep their hands in their pockets, unable to clap, and search effortlessly for new things to complain about.

Next up - Gase is crazy, Manish and the media are correct, the owner’s family had issues, and we cannot handle a coach making changes that suit his scheme and outlook!  The signing of a second punter and a fifth wide receiver are the latest fuel for the fire against the head coach of the team. 

Also, this needed a new thread because every thought apparently needs a new thread. ?

Yes because LOGO!

59 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Are you a media Troll? Mehta? Is that you?

49 minutes ago, tuffhand said:

Until we see the results, i.e. wins, there is no way of knowing if we are in better shape.

Also, we are supposed to overlook CJ's incompetence from May 2017 to May 2019, because he's "growing"?

What is he, a 60 year old plant? Then again..

Would you be happier if we had Fitz or McCown still or a soon to be (August), 22 year old kid who led the entire league in QBR the last quarter of the season.

Would you be happier with Stevan Ridley at RB or Le'veon Bell, literally the best offensive free agent in football & only 27 years old? 

Would you be happier if we kept Lee at MLB instead of signing the best Defensive free agent in the draft, a 4 time pro bowler in Mosely? 

Would you be happier with Kearse still here instead of Jamison Crowder? How about Buster Skrine instead of Poole? 

Did you know that Trumaine Johnsons DC was once Gregg Williams? 

Did you know that before Ty Montgomery fumbled that kickoff that pissed Mike McCarthy off, he filled in at RB (running between the tackles), RB to the outside & caught 44 balls out of the backfield just 2 short years ago & he's still only 26 years old. 

Also Quinnen Williams was reported by MANY to have some of the best college tape at DT since Aaron Donald? The 49ers taking Bosa was probably the best thing that could happen to us. 

I just find it hard to not get excited about this upcoming season. We have leaders on the sideline, a leader at QB, on the Dline, at LB, at safety. It's like a complete culture change. Guys will want to show up for camp here & be part of this upward trend for the team. Like Sam Darnold was asked after being drafted, Sam, what can we expect from you? "A LOT OF WINS!"

And I believe him & can believe in the team as a whole with Bowles & Macc jettisoned.

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

CJ took the reins of the Jets and announced the rebuild in 2017 after atrocious seasons with Fitzpatrick and Petty and McCown.  Rebuilding teams have 3, 4, or 5 wins.  Here in 2019 we are poised to go 8-8 as a valid expectation and with a favorable schedule and ass-kicking coaching staff on both sides of the ball, we have legitimate playoff potential for the first time in 10 years.

Our new uniforms are hot and are going to look great on the field.  Our 20-something players and leaders love them and that's all that matters.

Every ticket in MetLife Stadium is less expensive than it was on opening day 2010.  CJ lowered most of them further in 2017.

Ownership is not the Jets problem.  Bad drafts and the New England Patriots are.  Maccagnan, like Idzik before him, was a lousy draft picker.  Gase knows the AFC East intimately and has beaten Bill Belichick and Tom Brady before.  Don't be that sad Jets fans in January because the team is winning playoff games and you are miserable because you had the wrong take in May and decided we were going to suck.

SAR I

So Chris Johnson made the football decision to sign free agents???  If that’s the case we’re in even worse shape!  Are you completely delusional???  

My ticket prices have gone UP since 2010.  You’re entitled to your own opinion but you’re not entitled to your own facts.

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I wont be sad or upset but dont be upset if the reverse happens and we are not playing in Jan. Odds are the dysfunction we are seeing is symptomatic and spread into the season

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

It's not that I'm a better fan than them.  I simply don't think they are fans at all.

SAR I

To be fair, you also think people who don't go to games aren't fans either.

Well, except for when you sell your own tickets, then it's ok, because reasons.

What I keep wondering is why some folks seem to need to validate their own "optimism" by mandating that everyone else must be equally optimistic, and feel it's important to attack and demean anyone with any criticism of any kind.  

• Upvote 1