Does anyone get the feeling Gase likes firing people

39 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol ok, so What’s your minority opinion ?

Nobody knows. It's all speculation but Gase has been with the Jets for a cup of coffee. Do you really think in this time he has gained enough clout to get the GM fired? Something else triggered it. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

See, it's  those closing remarks I'm referring to. Now go get your shine box? You don't  like it too bad? And I was not even referring to Mac who Gase did not fire. I mean was Leggett  bad at his job for 5 years, was the scout? I think Lee was nad for 3 years but he was traded, not fired. 

You are so wound up you are not even commenting on what I posted about.  

Awwwww is you butthurt? Maybe you should be more specific. I was referring to everyone involved in the front office and scouting dept who were responsible for drafting those guys. You know those draft picks who are no longer on the team? Or the blatant lack of OL that were drafted? Especially after drafting your Franchise QB right? Because wouldn't it be stupid not to concentrate on protecting that QB? That's who I'm talking about sunshine. Sorry I didn't sugar-coat it for you. Maybe you should go off to fantasy land where all is well and everything is rainbows and lollipops? In the real world if you don't get results you're gone. Like Macc and Co should have been a longtime ago. Here endth the lesson. Gotta be friggin kiddin me.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

9 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Every move in any organization creates impact. Sometimes, in the sports arena, those moves are because of work ethic, attitude, or other things we as fans can't see on a regular basis. 

This helps set a tone and accountability within an organizations. Other players then learn what is acceptable and what is not and it creates culture.

Just because we can't make sense for moves, does not mean that there is not purpose.

Or, he is totally off a hinge.

he is not doing anything really huge, out of respect for the incoming guy.  But these fringe guys are his to command. He wants his kind of guys in the overachiever spots

9 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I mean can anything he has done be thought of anything other than filler moves? Its like he got thos title and just wants to make moves even if they aren't  really going to have impact. 

I don't know about all that, but I do get two feelings about Gase:

1. Despite what he might say, he likes power, likes being in change, and likes "shopping for the groceries" as ol' Parcells put it.

2. He strikes me as a person who has difficulty with people in general, and doesn't really like people.  i.e. not a social-skilled man.  Impossible to know how true this is in private, but in public, his persona reeks of social dysfunction/anxiety or more.

Neither issue necessarily makes him a bad Coach.    

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't know if he likes firing people in the sense that he gets off on it.

But he's unquestionably a control freak and ego-maniac who wants every little thing done his way and will dump anyone who doesn't get in line.

He was about to whack the last owner he worked for if not by a loyal employee who saved  the day and prevented a bloody coup.  He is probably still thinking in his head after I take the owner out, I will take possession of the team.  Regardless of his coaching ability, the dude is a psychopath no question about it.

I'll buy this. When guys who have been around are slackers, it can be an ugly trend for new guys coming in.  KO said it in his interview that he questioned whether or not he was doing too much when he first got here.  That's not a good thing to hear, but it explains a lot.  I forget who said it about the Pats. Maybe Revis or Ellis. Not sure. 
He said when you're on the outside, you just don't like the Pats, but when you get there you realize they just work harder than everyone else. That's huge. We have had Rex, who I loved, and Bowles. Both were "players coaches" who didn't have any accountability. Thats not good.  Job security is a bad thing in professional sports. These guys need to be working for their lives every day. 
This is a positive I can see coming from Gase and Williams. I don't think anyone feels safe around here. Hopefully that leads to harder work and better results. 

Hahahahhha ... Revis 2.0 and work harder in the same sentence ... you’re funny!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Who are these laid back, party animal coaches who have been successful in the NFL. It's a grueling, intense job. Most of the great coaches were/are control freaks and want as much control as they can get. Gase's main problem in Miami was that he had too much on his plate and clearly recognizes that he doesn't want to be there again with the Jets. Doesn't mean he doesn't know how to function like a GM, but he's obviously expecting that role to be short-lived. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Awwwww is you butthurt? Maybe you should be more specific. I was referring to everyone involved in the front office and scouting dept who were responsible for drafting those guys. You know those draft picks who are no longer on the team? Or the blatant lack of OL that were drafted? Especially after drafting your Franchise QB right? Because wouldn't it be stupid not to concentrate on protecting that QB? That's who I'm talking about sunshine. Sorry I didn't sugar-coat it for you. Maybe you should go off to fantasy land where all is well and everything is rainbows and lollipops? In the real world if you don't get results you're gone. Like Macc and Co should have been a longtime ago. Here endth the lesson. Gotta be friggin kiddin me.

Really amazing, even after I explained I wasn't  referring to Mac, you are still talking about him. No, my butt doesn't hurt and I would ask you if your head does but you need a brain in order to get a headache.  

• Thumb Down 1

11 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I mean can anything he has done be thought of anything other than filler moves? Its like he got thos title and just wants to make moves even if they aren't  really going to have impact. 

After firing a scout.  Who we dont even know was fired, could just as easily been left to leave after his contract expired.  Or that J Douglas wanted let go.

Yup, that one scout allowed to leave or even fired says he loves it.  And has no impact.  Which probably explains why you started what would have to qualify as a non impact, little importance thread

11 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Tomorrow when you wake up look at the calendar and notice that its the end of May. 

As a reminder to the unobservant, FA is over.  The draft is over.  The early run of talent moving around is over.

All thats left for just about each and every team is, catch this, filler moves.

Camp comp for your P or even K?  Why not.  

Releasing or trading bottom of the roster players.  Shocking yes.  To some 

1 hour ago, Jet9 said:

I dont get the hate for Gase. I manage bars and restaurants and have zero issue firing lazy people. I would hope you guys are like this in real life too.

So he fired the scout because he was lazy?

Look, all I am saying is he seems to be like some kid that just got a new toy and wants to play with it as much as he can until his parents take it away. I mean he fired one scout to streamline the scouting dept. In what universe does that make any sense? 

He brought in a punter. Edward's is a solid punter. There really was no screaming need there. If he brought a FG kicker, I would have thought that was a great move. He got rid of Leggett who probably played on 15% of the snaps. Ok, maybe he wanted to make a roster spot for the WR he brought in from the Bill's but seriously, he needed to do this now? Was there a line of teams waiting to sign this guy nobody ever heard of?

It just seems he's fooling around with the personal and help because he can.

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

After firing a scout.  Who we dont even know was fired, could just as easily been left to leave after his contract expired.  Or that J Douglas wanted let go.

Yup, that one scout allowed to leave or even fired says he loves it.  And has no impact.  Which probably explains why you started what would have to qualify as a non impact, little importance thread

There are people that feel the way you do and there are some people that feel as I do, that it seems like he is making moves for the hell of it. You have the right to disagree  or feel this thread has no impact whatever that means. But I also have the right to post about this. I wanted to know what others felt. Now I know how you feel about it. Thanks for playing. 

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Really amazing, even after I explained I wasn't  referring to Mac, you are still talking about him. No, my butt doesn't hurt and I would ask you if your head does but you need a brain in order to get a headache.  

image.png.00f9b348d83cbd614aa04d677947d7f1.png

You know whats amazing? Even after I explained it to you twice you still didn't get it. Let me spell it out for you because you obviously need flashcards or hooked on phonics to understand. EVERYONE IN THE FRONT OFFICE who was responsible for putting that product on the field for the last 5 years needs to go. Not just Macc.....EVERYONE. Get it my sadly lacking in comprehension friend? Good. Now:

image.png.e130c395eae63a324ccfcc4e1bb9c178.png

So he fired the scout because he was lazy?

Look, all I am saying is he seems to be like some kid that just got a new toy and wants to play with it as much as he can until his parents take it away. I mean he fired one scout to streamline the scouting dept. In what universe does that make any sense? 

He brought in a punter. Edward's is a solid punter. There really was no screaming need there. If he brought a FG kicker, I would have thought that was a great move. He got rid of Leggett who probably played on 15% of the snaps. Ok, maybe he wanted to make a roster spot for the WR he brought in from the Bill's but seriously, he needed to do this now? Was there a line of teams waiting to sign this guy nobody ever heard of?

It just seems he's fooling around with the personal and help because he can.

I'm sorry, but this is frankly idiotic. He's a head coach and happens now to be an interim GM. He's doing his due diligence and cleaning up the roster as he sees fit. He's doing exactly what he's supposed to do, regardless of your casual assessment that all these players should be sheltered from harm. Nothing he is doing is unreasonable. And I would trust his assessments of team needs over some stiffs on an internet site.

I get the feeling he's decisive. It also helps when you're getting rid of other people's crud. Lee was never anything until he had some ints last year. Leggett was hurt and meh otherwise. The scout, don't know his name, but our scouting has generally sucked. These seem more like common sense moves rather than those of a power mad adrenaline junkie.

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

There are people that feel the way you do and there are some people that feel as I do, that it seems like he is making moves for the hell of it. You have the right to disagree  or feel this thread has no impact whatever that means. But I also have the right to post about this. I wanted to know what others felt. Now I know how you feel about it. Thanks for playing. 

It's not a simple we agree to disagree.  The only person HE MAY HAVE FIRED is a scout. 

That's not he likes to fire people.  Then you go in a different direction and actually whine about bringing in another P for come and not to overuse one of them. 

So while it's cool to say we agree to disagree at times this is just a case of you're wrong.  Most agree.

7 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Nobody knows. It's all speculation but Gase has been with the Jets for a cup of coffee. Do you really think in this time he has gained enough clout to get the GM fired? Something else triggered it. 

Well i think a stray dog could convince the Johnsons to fire the worst gm in nfl if it barked loud enough.. you are well known to be a HUGE Mac supporter past few months. So I understand you have to walk that fine line of being cool with Mac firing, but not 100 % cool accepting the outcome ? it will be ok bro lol

8 hours ago, genot said:

What the hell has Gase ever done to deserve this kind of power. Cmon. He's an ego maniac control freak who's going to alienate a lot of people around him. He wore out his welcome in Miami, and he's going to do it here.

I agree.. he has Been like the 28th out of 38th in a race. But anyone who doesn’t really mac is dead last in the race is a complete fing idiot. Mac was not going to improve.. Gase has a chance too.. Mac fan boys need to get off their knees already

15 hours ago, rammagen said:

Idk about that there is no proof of this. Idk if this is an axe to grind I am blah about the moves but they need a gm so he can just concentrate on Sam which was what he was brought in to do

And there is no proof that what he doing is wrong..from what I see he is doing exactly what needs to be done, have to get rid of the dead weight if you want to create a winning atmosphere.

10 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't know if he likes firing people in the sense that he gets off on it.

But he's unquestionably a control freak and ego-maniac who wants every little thing done his way and will dump anyone who doesn't get in line.

Thank you Dr Phil for that insightful opinion.

giphy.gif

• Thumb Down 1

Bent, theJetsBlog.com Follow on Twitter

Since last week's shocking announcement that general manager Mike Maccagnan was relieved of his duties, head coach Adam Gase has been handling personnel duties as the Jets' interim general manager. While it was initially assumed Gase would merely be a placeholder for the new guy because the position would be filled hastily, he's already made a series of moves in that role.

Nobody is quite sure what to expect next. Should we be reading anything into these moves and what they might mean for the roster he'll be working with, the same roster Maccagnan's replacement is set to inherit?

Gase wasted no time in making his first move, as the Jets finalized a trade sending former first-rounder Darron Lee to the Kansas City Chiefs for a late-round pick. Since then, he's also brought in punter Matt Darr and wide receiver Deonte Thompson - both of whom have played for him in the past - and released two players. It was also reported that a scout who worked under Maccagnan - Bill Dekraker - was relieved of his duties.

While it would make for a great story if Gase immediately started haphazardly making significant moves as if drunk with power, the moves made seem to represent standard offseason roster operations, if you break them down. Gase, who has publicly downplayed reports of a power struggle, has so far mostly just been making moves that any front office would at this stage of the offseason.

With the Jets having just taken the field for their first Organized Team Activities following the draft, there's inevitably going to be some churn at the bottom end of the roster, and moves such as these would typically be driven by the coaching staff anyway.

For example, the Jets released rookie receiver Xavier Ubosi - who had been claimed just last week from New England - and replaced him with a receiver Gase is familiar with in Thompson. Skeptics might see this as Gase dumping one of Maccagnan's rookie pick-ups to replace with one of "his guys" but the reality of the situation is likely more mundane.

It's not uncommon for a player that hits the waiver wire to get brought in for a quick look and then moved on if they don't make an immediate impression. Having already been waived by New England, it seems likely Ubosi has been unable to convince the coaches he can compete at this level. As for the 30-year old Thompson, as someone Gase has worked with in the past, he's probably been on the Jets' watchlist for some time as an option to bring in at some point to see whether he has anything left.

Parting ways with two former Maccagnan draft picks in Lee and TE Jordan Leggett has proved more controversial and viewed as a sign that Gase was unimpressed with some of Maccagnan's additions.

The Jets probably felt six tight ends was too many to begin their offseason fieldwork with, although selecting Leggett as the odd man out was perhaps a move Maccagnan might not have made, so in that case perhaps Gase was putting his stamp on the roster.

Leggett, who made some progress last year, especially as a blocker, had a reputation for being lazy early on in his college career. If he's retained any of those traits, then he could the kind of player Gase might look to make an example of.

The timing of the Lee deal was surprising, but it makes sense if the Jets had been planning to move him before the team began their on-field program. They might have delayed matters in a fruitless effort to try for a greater return, but ultimately this may have been a deal that was close to happening anyway, with or without Maccagnan.

Bringing in punter Matt Darr as a "camp leg" was more of a practical move as well, and again the timing made sense. He's unlikely to challenge Lac Edwards - another Maccagnan draft pick - for the punter role, but teams prefer to have more than one punter during the offseason so that they can optimize the number of reps for their return men, and also as injury cover. Again, bringing in someone with whom Gase has familiarity for such a role makes sense.

The long-term ramifications of these moves so far are unlikely to be particularly significant, although if the general manager search stretches out over several weeks or even a few months, then Gase's fingerprints could end up all over the bottom half of the roster. Ultimately, though, this won't be a major problem as long as he's not making moves that the incoming general manager would have preferred not to.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Eaton Beaver said:

And there is no proof that what he doing is wrong..from what I see he is doing exactly what needs to be done, have to get rid of the dead weight if you want to create a winning atmosphere.

there is no proof what he is doing is right either. these moves are blah we need a freaking gm so he can just coach and work with Sam which is what he was hired to do. the more time he spends performing other duties detracts from his main duty.

15 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Who are these laid back, party animal coaches who have been successful in the NFL. It's a grueling, intense job. Most of the great coaches were/are control freaks and want as much control as they can get. Gase's main problem in Miami was that he had too much on his plate and clearly recognizes that he doesn't want to be there again with the Jets. Doesn't mean he doesn't know how to function like a GM, but he's obviously expecting that role to be short-lived. 

One of my favorite things about Gase is that he has NFL head coaching experience. 

Since Parcells stepped down,  the Jets have had a series of head coaches without that that experience. Mostly the "hot coordinator," and in the cases of Edwards and Groh, not even coordinator experience. Mangini had one year with a defensive coordinator title under Belichick, so how much did he really coordinate? All these coaches over these last 20 years stepped into the head coach office and had to learn on the job. It didn't work. 

Gase hits the ground running here. He's stated that he doesn't want the GM responsibilities, and I believe him. He will need a GM he knows and trusts who is also on the same page as him, that's for sure, but not a yes man. I think Gase, with the benefit of hindsight, knows he made mistakes in the GM chair and will welcome a qualified man to bounce ideas off. These moves he's made so far in the interim role have all been minor. Basically business as usual in May, nothing to see here stuff. 

I agree with you, I think he wants to streamline his responsibilities in comparison to what he was doing in Miami. He wants a GM to run personnel and a DC to run the defense and he'll assert his influence as he sees fit - but his focus is Darnold and the offense. 

• Sympathy 1