“Joe Douglas would almost certainly leave the Eagles if the Jets offer him their GM job”

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Teams always look to keep the lame duck tag off of a HC and would want the HC contract to coincide with his GM.  So extend Macc to run with Gase.  

And yeah, that says they aren't cheap like the wilpons who probably will struggle with the idea of paying Callaway and another, more qualified MGR. 

They extended Macc and Bowles at the same time. And still, neither earned it after an abysmal season two years ago and many here voiced that. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I just need to know when Maccagnan learned under Ozzie Newsome for 15+ or won a ring  two years before getting hired. 

Did the the Houston Texans want to hold onto him so bad that they were willing to do anything they could to ensure he stays.

lol no.

Youre right to an extent, we don’t know what he will be, but there’s plenty of reason to believe he’ll be better.

Of course he has the pedigree and the resume but until you hand him the keys, you’re at best guessing. He certainly has a better background than Macc, but we just don’t know. I don’t have an opinion on who they should get, but he would probably be the optimal hire given the circumstances. Which means the Jets will end up with someone else. 

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Of course he has the pedigree and the resume but until you hand him the keys, you’re at best guessing. He certainly has a better background than Macc, but we just don’t know. I don’t have an opinion on who they should get, but he would probably be the optimal hire given the circumstances. Which means the Jets will end up with someone else. 

I agree with you on that part, we don’t know. But I just feel like there’s a lot of reason to be hopeful(more so than any GM we’ve hired in the 2000’s) if he is the hire. 

7 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

If I were a minority candidate for the GM job I would tell the NYJ  (or any other team)  fvck off, I know this is a sham and I am not gonna let you use me for your fake interview. 

And people who say its good to have the interview experience are full of it and just putting spin on it.

You wouldn’t know what team is genuine in their reach out though.

53 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Let's be honest guys. Up until last week, a lot of us have never heard of Joe Douglas including myself. That being said, I'm on board the JD train with all the positive feedback I'm reading. ?

Exactly. I'm pro JD, but who is Joe Douglas?

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

That's a good way to never get another interview again. The League is a very small tight knit community.

It's also a good way to sell out and sh!t on the original intent of the rule and if what you are saying is true then there is an unwritten rule by the billionaires compelling minorities to behave as we need or there wont be any future interviews.

1 minute ago, Kleckineau said:

So are you saying right now, for the NYJ, no one knows the minority interview would be a work around to land their 1st choice??

Nooooo, you’ve got me misunderstood. I’m only speaking in general bc you put in parentheses “(or any other team)”. The NYJ’s have let it publicly be known who the favorite is. I’m just saying, I wouldn’t turn down every offer... if you are good at what you do, you’ll get a genuine interview.

14 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

They extended Macc and Bowles at the same time. And still, neither earned it after an abysmal season two years ago and many here voiced that. 

I get that.  But still, every team that isn't firing anyone would leave a lame duck HC heading their team. 

2 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

It's also a good way to sell out and sh!t on the original intent of the rule and if what you are saying is true then there is an unwritten rule by the billionaires compelling minorities to behave as we need or there wont be any future interviews.

Mike Tomlin wasn't the Steelers first choice. He was a minority interview that impressed the team so much he got the job. That's why you don't turn down an interview.

The original intent of the rule was flawed in it's construction. If they really want a rule that would work then they should require that teams consist of a 33% minority coaching staff and front office otherwise they're severely penalized. Also require that 33% of HC's and GM's in the League have to be minorities. So if there are only 10 minority Head Coaches and you have an opening then you are required to hire a minority to get the league over the 33% threshold.

That is the only way this process will be taken seriously. Don't fault the Jets bc the NFL has a rule in place that does more to insult minorities than actually help them.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Mike Tomlin wasn't the Steelers first choice. He was a minority interview that impressed the team so much he got the job. That's why you don't turn down an interview.

The original intent of the rule was flawed in it's construction. If they really want a rule that would work then they should require that teams consist of a 33% minority coaching staff and front office otherwise they're severely penalized. Also require that 33% of HC's and GM's in the League have to be minorities. So if there are only 10 minority Head Coaches and you have an opening then you are required to hire a minority to get the league over the 33% threshold.

That is the only way this process will be taken seriously. Don't fault the Jets bc the NFL has a rule in place that does more to insult minorities than actually help them.

That is a pretty unworkable plan.  Then teams could (would) just be more strategic about when they fired their head coach, making it so that they wouldn't be force to hire any particular race/color/creed.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

That is a pretty unworkable plan.  Then teams could (would) just be more strategic about when they fired their head coach, making it so that they wouldn't be force to hire any particular race/color/creed.

What it would do is actually make teams do some research to find new candidates instead of recycling the same 5-7 guys every year. 

For some reason the thought process in the NFL seems to be that you're a good Coordinator you'll be a good HC and vice versa. That is the furthest thing from the truth. NFL owners are just lazy.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I didn't like this "nugget":

"Douglas would have 'shared power' with Adam Gase. Could split up responsibilities in free agency, draft, 53/47-man roster."

Hoping like hell this is not true, because if it is, it's going to be a cluster****. Can't image why a supposedly hot GM prospect would accept such a ridiculous arrangement.

40 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I didn't like this "nugget":

"Douglas would have 'shared power' with Adam Gase. Could split up responsibilities in free agency, draft, 53/47-man roster."

Hoping like hell this is not true, because if it is, it's going to be a cluster****. Can't image why a supposedly hot GM prospect would accept such a ridiculous arrangement.

ATM it does not seem like a big deal.  A coach should have a say in what he wants his roster to be.  NON ISSUE ATM

10 hours ago, choon328 said:

What it would do is actually make teams do some research to find new candidates instead of recycling the same 5-7 guys every year. 

For some reason the thought process in the NFL seems to be that you're a good Coordinator you'll be a good HC and vice versa. That is the furthest thing from the truth. NFL owners are just lazy.

This has always been flawed logic.  We've seen it over and over.  Some of the best coordinators in the league simply aren't great head coaches. They're not particularly good managers or organizational leaders.  Could be great X's and O's guys, great with game planning a certain side of the ball but running an entire football team is very different.  Look at guys like Rex Ryan, Norv Turner, Wade Phillips, etc.  I think for the first two seasons with the Jets Rex wasn't even sure where the offensive meeting rooms were in the building.

• Upvote 1