“Joe Douglas would almost certainly leave the Eagles if the Jets offer him their GM job”

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Does anyone really think it matters at this point? We’ve had 86,000 coaches and GM’s since the Johnsons bought the team. Nobody makes a difference. 

The Jets under the Johnson's (even including the 2 disastrous years with Chris) from 2000-2018 have been far better than the Jets from 1960-1999.

20 hours ago, KRL said:

People need to stop equating the Johnsons to the Wilpons.  You do realize they are paying
Bowles & Maccagnan the final 2 years of their extensions.  The team needs to follow protocol
(Rooney Rule) so they don't hear any nonsense from the league.  A couple of extra days means
nothing at this point.  But leave it to Jet fans to turn an upgrade at the GM position into
a negative

Every 1.5 decades, the Mets typically make the World Series. I agree, the Johnsons are not the Wilpons. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Gase may be holding out for a contract extension and guarantees before he gives his approval for the hire.

He heard that Jon Snow had to go to the wall as a condition after the new King came to power and he is not going to be happy with that kind of an outcome here.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Should they just get rid of the roomney rule then?

NO! What I am saying is when a minority is asked to interview and the interview is a blatant sham for the purpose of checking a box needed to move onto an authjentic interview, minority interviewee should tell them no thank you and please gfy. When they let this B/S happen it only serves to perpetuate the billionaire grip on the affected group. 

BTW real change will only happen when minorities can own a team.

3 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

NO! What I am saying is when a minority is asked to interview and the interview is a blatant sham for the purpose of checking a box needed to move onto an authjentic interview, minority interviewee should tell them no thank you and please gfy. When they let this B/S happen it only serves to perpetuate the billionaire grip on the affected group. 

Why can't a minority own a team?  And if one does it would be ok if they just hired other minorities without looking to hire the best candidate?

The Rooney rule was well intentioned but usually people have others in mind that they want to hire when they are making a change.  2 of our last 4 HCs have been black so the Jets shouldn't be criticized here for making a move with a particular person in mind for the GM job. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Why can't a minority own a team?  And if one does it would be ok if they just hired other minorities without looking to hire the best candidate?

The Rooney rule was well intentioned but usually people have others in mind that they want to hire when they are making a change.  2 of our last 4 HCs have been black so the Jets shouldn't be criticized here for making a move with a particular person in mind for the GM job. 

Stop with the obfuscation.

Fake interviews stink. People should refuse to take part. You think its AOK? Fine.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Fake interviews stink. People should refuse to take part. You think its AOK? Fine.

I don't like sham interviews but I don't like people being hired just because of race, religion, etc...

Some of the interviews may be shams(they are shams for other non minority candidates too) but they still have an opportunity to impress.  Maybe they don't get that job but maybe a great interview leads to another one?

• Upvote 3

Here we are again in the GM hunt. Kirwin, Bradway, Tannenbaum, Idzik, Macc, can we finally f*cking GET IT RIGHT!

And any Jet fan that doesn't think this interview process is not going to include discussions of the new GM hire & Gase agenda on how he wants this team to look is an idiot. Why would you bring a guy in with his own agenda? 

Chris Johnson has figured out you need a QB mentor for a young QB like Sam, and Gase is the guy, with even Payton Mannings stamp of approval that the guy is very smart offensively. If it's Joe Douglas & he has a history with Gase than AWESOME, because the only way you take over this stronghold the Patriots have had on this division is to have 1- A franchise QB, 2- A good Head Coach, 3- A GM filling the roster with guys that make sense for the scheme & the attitude of the team (winning attitude), and lastly & MOST IMPORTANTLY that 3 of these important players in this organization have continuity of said plan laid out so every year the basic style of team you are isn't CONSTANTLY CHANGING! 

OMG! We've had 4 different starting QBs since 2009-2017. And how many OCs? Kinda hard to have a plan in place when everything changes from 1 year to the next! I want to see Sam Darnold, Adam Gase & GM (Joe Douglas), together here for 15 freaking years if possible. Many, many teams have come close to pulling the plug too early. These guys aren't fillers, you don't FILL (Todd Bowles/Rogers/Macc), when you FQB might be in place. Bill Parcells was once on the bubble in NY early, Belichick was on the bubble B4 Brady came along. 

The Jets have not had a 3 headed monster in forever- FQB-HC-GM. 

Even Parcells SUCKED at drafting, got us in cap hell & forsakes us, lost Belichick and we suffered now for 18 years with that bastard up in New England. This is a tide turning moment in Jets history & I do not think we'd be in this position if not for Chris Johnson becoming a quick study. We need to thank Trump for getting Woody as far away from Florham Park as possible.

There...that's why I'm so optimistic!

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Here we are again in the GM hunt. Kirwin, Bradway, Tannenbaum, Idzik, Macc, can we finally f*cking GET IT RIGHT!

And any Jet fan that doesn't think this interview process is not going to include discussions of the new GM hire & Gase agenda on how he wants this team to look is an idiot. Why would you bring a guy in with his own agenda? 

Chris Johnson has figured out you need a QB mentor for a young QB like Sam, and Gase is the guy, with even Payton Mannings stamp of approval that the guy is very smart offensively. If it's Joe Douglas & he has a history with Gase than AWESOME, because the only way you take over this stronghold the Patriots have had on this division is to have 1- A franchise QB, 2- A good Head Coach, 3- A GM filling the roster with guys that make sense for the scheme & the attitude of the team (winning attitude), and lastly & MOST IMPORTANTLY that 3 of these important players in this organization have continuity of said plan laid out so every year the basic style of team you are isn't CONSTANTLY CHANGING! 

OMG! We've had 4 different starting QBs since 2009-2017. And how many OCs? Kinda hard to have a plan in place when everything changes from 1 year to the next! I want to see Sam Darnold, Adam Gase & GM (Joe Douglas), together here for 15 freaking years if possible. Many, many teams have come close to pulling the plug too early. These guys aren't fillers, you don't FILL (Todd Bowles/Rogers/Macc), when you FQB might be in place. Bill Parcells was once on the bubble in NY early, Belichick was on the bubble B4 Brady came along. 

Even Parcells SUCKED at drafting, got us in cap hell & forsakes us, lost Belichick and we suffered now for 18 years with that bastard up in New England. This is a tide turning moment in Jets history & I do not think we'd be in this position if not for Chris Johnson becoming a quick study. We need to thank Trump for getting Woody as far away from Florham Park as possible.

Good point on Parcells botching the GM job for us.  The only reason the team had success was he did a great job coaching on the field and changing the culture and he’s lucky he did inherit a roster that had talent

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I tend to agree with you. It definitely goes against everything we've seen in this organization for almost 20 years. Chris said he basically lived in the building after Gase got settled in, and he observed everything leading up to, and through, the draft.  The fact that he decided that Macc had to go, that he was the stumbling block to this thing ever turning around, is fantastic.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

There are benefits to interviewing even if you don't get the job. First you get practice and get to hear an objective response to your ideas. Second is exposure. Your name gets out there and, once you are ready to be a GM, you're more likely to be on the short list of candidates.

A good example is Kris Richards. People took notice of him as a viable coaching candidate this year. He's not quiet ready to be a HC. But it's clear now that he is respected around the league. Now he will likely be on the short list of coaching candidates every year. So, when he is ready to be a HC, there's a good chance he'll find a spot. Richards taking fake interviews this year is practice for the real deal in a year or two. 

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

There are benefits to interviewing even if you don't get the job. First you get practice and get to hear an objective response to your ideas. Second is exposure. Your name gets out there and, once you are ready to be a GM, you're more likely to be on the short list of candidates.

You sound like an NFL owner selling someone on the idea of showing up for a fake interview.

22 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

If I were a minority candidate for the GM job I would tell the NYJ  (or any other team)  fvck off, I know this is a sham and I am not gonna let you use me for your fake interview. 

And people who say its good to have the interview experience are full of it and just putting spin on it.

If I was I would take every interview I could. I would also forward the list of restaraunts that they we will be meeting at and tell them,” Bring your wallet son, schools in!”

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Many have suspected that New York could look to the Eagles to fill their void at general manager. Since Mike Maccagnan was fired last week, numerous reports have linked Gang Green to Philadelphia’s vice president of player personnel, Joe Douglas.

If that is the case, the Jets are taking their time placing a call. Speaking to reporters on Tuesday, Eagles head coach Doug Pederson suggested that New York has yet to request an interview with Douglas.

“At this time there is nothing, so he’s here,” Pederson told reporters.

Pederson had little to say about possibly losing Douglas. Instead, he spoke on the positives of having him in Philadelphia’s corner.

“Our relationship has been great,” Pederson said. “It’s like we’ve said before. He’s a big part of our scouting process and getting the information we need through our scouts and assisting us in that area … Our process has always been a collaborative one. There is a lot of open dialogue, whether it’s between me and Howie [Roseman], Joe and Howie, the three of us together, our owner [Jeffrey Lurie], and he’s really built that relationship and has done a good job for us.”

The Jets are not reported to have contacted any potential GM candidates, so Douglas shouldn’t feel insulted. In the meantime, head coach Adam Gase is serving as the team’s interim GM. He and CEO Christopher Johnson will be among those leading New York’s search for Maccagnan’s full-time replacement.

There is an understanding that Johnson and Gase will look for a familiar face to fill the vacancy in their front office. The Jets head coach and Douglas worked together while Douglas was the director of college scouting for the Chicago Bears in 2015.

If a phone call has not happened yet, Philly should expect Douglas to get one in the near future.

10SHARES
 TWEET
 EMAIL

21 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Nope. I just know that over the years I’ve gotten better at interviewing. So, those interviews I’ve been on where I didn’t get the job have value to me because they helped me fine tune my interviewing skills.

The reality is interviewing is a skill. You can have a great candidate in front of you and would never know it if that person doesn’t know how to interview well.

Good for you. My kids ask me for interview advice all the time. I’m clueless. 

26 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Many have suspected that New York could look to the Eagles to fill their void at general manager. Since Mike Maccagnan was fired last week, numerous reports have linked Gang Green to Philadelphia’s vice president of player personnel, Joe Douglas.

If that is the case, the Jets are taking their time placing a call. Speaking to reporters on Tuesday, Eagles head coach Doug Pederson suggested that New York has yet to request an interview with Douglas.

“At this time there is nothing, so he’s here,” Pederson told reporters.

Pederson had little to say about possibly losing Douglas. Instead, he spoke on the positives of having him in Philadelphia’s corner.

“Our relationship has been great,” Pederson said. “It’s like we’ve said before. He’s a big part of our scouting process and getting the information we need through our scouts and assisting us in that area … Our process has always been a collaborative one. There is a lot of open dialogue, whether it’s between me and Howie [Roseman], Joe and Howie, the three of us together, our owner [Jeffrey Lurie], and he’s really built that relationship and has done a good job for us.”

The Jets are not reported to have contacted any potential GM candidates, so Douglas shouldn’t feel insulted. In the meantime, head coach Adam Gase is serving as the team’s interim GM. He and CEO Christopher Johnson will be among those leading New York’s search for Maccagnan’s full-time replacement.

There is an understanding that Johnson and Gase will look for a familiar face to fill the vacancy in their front office. The Jets head coach and Douglas worked together while Douglas was the director of college scouting for the Chicago Bears in 2015.

If a phone call has not happened yet, Philly should expect Douglas to get one in the near future.

10SHARES
 TWEET
 EMAIL

This is a bit odd.  What the hell are they waiting for?

How many times are we going to have this discussion? Maybe it seems like more for us jets fans because we hire and fire coaches and gm’s every few years, but enough already.

The Rooney rule has been incredibly effective whether or not you or I approve. It gets people into the room who were left out previously.

Take a look at the numbers for minority HC’s before the Rooney rule and afterward. It’s undeniable.
There is a reason they expanded it to GM’s. It worked.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

"The Jets requests for GM interviews have gone out, sources say. Among them: Eagles VP Player Personnel Joe Douglas and Bears Assistant Director of Player Personnel Champ Kelly."  Finally.  Assuming Kelly is to fill the Rooney Rule requirement, Douglas is our guy.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, rayzor said:

The Jets requests for GM interviews have gone out, sources say. Among them: Eagles VP Player Personnel Joe Douglas and Bears Assistant Director of Player Personnel Champ Kelly.  Finally.  Assuming Kelly is to fill the Rooney Rule requirement, Douglas is our guy.

Are these your sources or are you quoting someone?

On 5/22/2019 at 11:30 AM, choon328 said:

Mike Tomlin wasn't the Steelers first choice. He was a minority interview that impressed the team so much he got the job. That's why you don't turn down an interview.

The original intent of the rule was flawed in it's construction. If they really want a rule that would work then they should require that teams consist of a 33% minority coaching staff and front office otherwise they're severely penalized. Also require that 33% of HC's and GM's in the League have to be minorities. So if there are only 10 minority Head Coaches and you have an opening then you are required to hire a minority to get the league over the 33% threshold.

That is the only way this process will be taken seriously. Don't fault the Jets bc the NFL has a rule in place that does more to insult minorities than actually help them.

You can't force people to hire who to hire based on race.  The original intent of the rule was to get minority candidates into the mix, to get interviews so they can be eligible for consideration.  Plus it's hard to get good at interviewing if you don't interview.

As you said that's what led to Tomlin getting interviewed and to impress people in Pitt so much they hired him and scrapped their original hire. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Why are we assuming that the guy who signed four pro bowlers in six days isn't a real candidate?

are you referring to his Bronco days?  He was an assistant to the director then but i don't think we know how much of it he was actually responsible for.

3 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I don't see anybody questioning Douglas's integral role in the super bowl he showed up just in time to get credit for.

Lol. He was with the ravens quite a while.. 2 off-seasons prior to eagles willing Bowl. How resume is 1000 x better than macs was when he was hired.. plus he was a former Olineman.. Unlike Mac who only ever played golf maybe.. He will finally draft lineman