Bubby Brister shovel pass video

I was in HS when this happened.  I actually remember watching film of that week’s opponent after FB practice.  They had run few shovels on film.  Coach referenced the recent panthers jets game with regards to picking one of those off.

19 minutes ago, Lith said:

And the guy the pass was intended for, Adrian Murrell.  That guy deserved so much better -- thought about bringing him up in the underrated Jet thread.  Shame he was stuck on those awful teams.

good point about murrell.  it can be argued he should have been kept instead of replaced by curtis martin.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

good point about murrell.  it can be argued he should have been kept instead of replaced by curtis martin.

I wonder if Parcells was afraid of his touches? Nowadays people would be worried about a back that had that many carries, but I don't think it was a thing back then.  The trade was an example of Parcells sh*tty GM'ing.  Murrell and a 7th (Schlomo Hall or some such never was) for a 3rd that turned out to be Leonard Little.  Parcells traded the Little pick to move down a couple of spots and ended up with Scott Frost and Lawrence Hart. I guess maybe we feel better not having a guy that killed someone driving drunk and then continued driving drunk for years, but talent-wise we were slaughtered. 

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

I don't know if I'd go quite that far.  He had one solid season after that for the remainder of his career.

yep but murrell was traded to the cardinals and they were horrible at the time.  of course it's hard to argue with martin's production.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

He is 4th on the Eagles sack list. He thrived in Philly.

He had 18 sacks in 2 years on those sh*tty Kotite teams that were losing so bad that nobody threw against them 1 and 2 in pass attempts against.  Then he had 4 under Tubby Tuna and was shipped off to Philly for a 2nd and a 5th.  In true Parcellsian fashion, there was a trade down in the 2nd and the Jets ended up with Dorian Boose, Kevin Williams and Casey Daily.  That fat **** was right up there with Idzik and Maccagnan in the draft department.  

Parcells spent the rest of his time in NY trying to replace Douglas with a pass rusher.  He didn't succeed until after he quit, getting Abraham for Al Groh. 

• Upvote 2

I remember those games like so  many others when all the diehards were there week after week loss after loss in all kinds weather regardless of what time the game was the stadium was filled with NY Jets fans. 

They trotted out some really bad QB's back in the day but we supported them. 

We are the most resilient fans in the NFL most of us anyway. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I remember those games like so  many others when all the diehards were there week after week loss after loss in all kinds weather regardless of what time the game was the stadium was filled with NY Jets fans. 

They trotted out some really bad QB's back in the day but we supported them. 

We are the most resilient fans in the NFL most of us anyway. 

Hard to believe, but Brister went 4-0 three years later as the Broncos starter in '98 for an injured Elway.  

The same year the Jets should have won the Super Bowl.  I was at that AFCCG at Old Mile High.

• 2 years later...

Opening Day in Carolina in September, they played this on the big screen before the game.  Just another one of those great moments in faranchise history.   Mkes me wonder, doe every team in the league have some sort of embarrassing Jets moment that they can share when we come to town.  Judging by the embarrassing moment thread.  Probably.

Loved Sammy Mills, the pride of Montclair State. 

This was during my college years when Sundays were for recovery and frat meetings and homework, thank god.  I lived with 3 Jets fans and I don't remember watching any games during those years...

• Haha 1

It’s not often one of my thread starts gets necro’d.  @TuscanyTile2

That clip was really hard to find.  I had a tech savvy friend of mine search for it years ago.  I was planning to use it in my signature when we could still use a GIF.  He wound up getting it from an individual guy he found online somewhere that had an enormous collection of NFL game film.  

I thought “Post ban thoughts and reflections” would show up again eventually.  Seems like the MODs have been doing lotsa house cleaning lately. 

• Upvote 1