Did Browns coach call OBJ a head case after WR skips another OTA?

Did Browns coach Freddie Kitchens call Odell Beckham Jr. a head case after ex-Giants WR skips another OTA?

Updated 3:47 PM; Today 1:58 PM
Cleveland Browns' Odell Beckham is not a fan of OTAs.

AP

By Matt Lombardo | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Former Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. skipped another Cleveland Browns OTA practice Wednesday, which seems to have raised the ire of head coach Freddie Kitchens.

Beckham’s absence from Wednesday’s practice marks the fourth out of five voluntary practices that he’s missed. Kitchens seems to believe that the former Giants superstar is not mentally ready to consistently take the field with his new team.

“I have never disputed the fact that it is not important for him to be here, but it is also also important for him to be mentally ready to be here,’’ Kitchens told reporters after practice. “I’m not giving him an out by any stretch of imagination, and nobody here knows the conversations that Odell and I have. I’m just saying it is better for him to be here when he can present his best self – emotionally, physically, everything."

Kitchens, who said he has spoken several times with Beckham, seems to be saying that Beckham still hasn’t wrapped his mind around the trade -- two months later -- and “emotionally” and “physically" doesn’t want to be in camp for workouts.

Teams cannot punish players for skipping voluntary workouts, but it is strange that Beckham would be absent with a new team, led by second-year quarterback Baker Mayfield and an offense with a first-year head coach -- not to mention a new fan base that is wary of him.

Did Browns coach Freddie Kitchens call Odell Beckham Jr. a head case after ex-Giants WR skips another OTA?

Updated 3:47 PM; Today 1:58 PM H44B5BV4KJGUTJSW4F3SSLNGE4.jpg&key=e56a15ac11fc4b0593e5adaf37deec1f6f16c4af2ef0759a50ef905fe6a71d38

AP

Former Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. skipped another Cleveland Browns OTA practice Wednesday, which seems to have raised the ire of head coach Freddie Kitchens.

Beckham’s absence from Wednesday’s practice marks the fourth out of five voluntary practices that he’s missed. Kitchens seems to believe that the former Giants superstar is not mentally ready to consistently take the field with his new team.

“I have never disputed the fact that it is not important for him to be here, but it is also also important for him to be mentally ready to be here,’’ Kitchens told reporters after practice. “I’m not giving him an out by any stretch of imagination, and nobody here knows the conversations that Odell and I have. I’m just saying it is better for him to be here when he can present his best self – emotionally, physically, everything."

Kitchens, who said he has spoken several times with Beckham, seems to be saying that Beckham still hasn’t wrapped his mind around the trade -- two months later -- and “emotionally” and “physically" doesn’t want to be in camp for workouts.

Teams cannot punish players for skipping voluntary workouts, but it is strange that Beckham would be absent with a new team, led by second-year quarterback Baker Mayfield and an offense with a first-year head coach -- not to mention a new fan base that is wary of him.

Reaching...that being said...this is going to unravel quickly.
  • Upvote 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

Here for all the “Le’Veon Bell is justified in staying home” crowd to roll up in here and call OBJ a team cancer.

Be fair, Bell still hasn't wrapped his mind around the massive free agent contract he signed -- two months later -- and “emotionally” and “physically" doesn’t want to be in camp for workouts.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

When did this place turn into a Browns forum? Who cares 

And why do we need two people racing each other to post breaking news stories on JN?

Paperboy is the best.  Don't need the Season Ticket Quitter muddying the waters.

SAR I

• Haha 1

Always nice to see a headline that is a question.

Journalists are supposed to answer those questions.  Not ask them to the general audience and be like "You figure it out stupid!"

And in this case, the question has an easy answer.  No, no he didn't call OBJ a headcase.  Next.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Updated 3:47 PM; Today 1:58 PM

AP

This Beckham guy can piss adults off in a New York minute.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Here for all the “Le’Veon Bell is justified in staying home” crowd to roll up in here and call OBJ a team cancer.

Hey, a guy wants a little time off. It is not like he blew the whole year off in 2018

• Haha 1

Gase has said that he's been in contact with Bell and is satisfied that he's been working on the playbook and is in good condition. Although Gase would like Bell to attend the 'voluntary' OTA's it's voluntary.

OBJ is a veteran receiver and knows the route tree and should be able to perform in any offensive scheme. OBJ biggest contributions will be when the play breaks down and Baker scrambles.

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Insert Leveon Bell wherever you see "OBJ" in this story.

Not another word needs to be changed, and the story is the same isn't it?

Then explain why Jets fans think this story is amusing..

I assume it’s because of the Browns coaches response. The coach said he’s not mentally ready and has not accepted the fact he was traded. Gase made no such accusations or inferences. 

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

lol  That's funny point man.  I would love to be able to spin this into a bad thing for Cleveland, but if I did......what would that mean for our new shiny toy?  I feel so conflicted.