Gase Continues to Tweak Jets Roster, Is Leonard Williams Safe?

IMG_6871-1.jpg

The dust is still setting after the firing of general manager Mike Maccagnan. Adam Gase says he doesn’t want control of the Jets roster, but after forcing Mike Maccagnan out, he is taking full advantage of the opportunity to trade and cut players while re-working the scouting department. 

Tune in to our NY Jets Podcast as our hosts Glenn Naughton and Alex Varallo talk about Adam Gase, Darron Lee and some other players that could find themselves on the way out.  Could Leonard Williams be available via trade?

Thank you to our sponsor MILE Social. Please visit MILE Social.com to learn how they can help your business by managing your website and social media.

Our New York Jets Podcast can now be found on Spotify. Also, be sure to subscribe to us on iTunes or Google Play:

You can also follow JetNation Radio on Twitter.

The post Gase Continues to Tweak Jets Roster, Is Leonard Williams Safe? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
rPca9T0UACQ

Click here to read the full story...

54 minutes ago, JetNation said:

IMG_6871-1.jpg

The dust is still setting after the firing of general manager Mike Maccagnan. Adam Gase says he doesn’t want control of the Jets roster, but after forcing Mike Maccagnan out, he is taking full advantage of the opportunity to trade and cut players while re-working the scouting department. 

Tune in to our NY Jets Podcast as our hosts Glenn Naughton and Alex Varallo talk about Adam Gase, Darron Lee and some other players that could find themselves on the way out.  Could Leonard Williams be available via trade?

Thank you to our sponsor MILE Social. Please visit MILE Social.com to learn how they can help your business by managing your website and social media.

Our New York Jets Podcast can now be found on Spotify. Also, be sure to subscribe to us on iTunes or Google Play:

You can also follow JetNation Radio on Twitter.

The post Gase Continues to Tweak Jets Roster, Is Leonard Williams Safe? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

rPca9T0UACQ

Click here to read the full story...

That is too big.  The new GM would have to be on board

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Adam gase had to prepare for leo twice a year for 3 years.  He knows exacly what he can and cant do.

I think if someone offered a 3rd, leo would be gone in a heartbrat.  

Because you have a good handle on what Adam Gase thinks of LW.  What he had to go through, or didnt have to go through, to prepare for him.

If someone offered a third, other than you most wouldnt accept it as equal comp.  

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Delusional, Diva WR bitches about old team. News at 11.

He didn't bitch about team. He talked about the culture Gase created at Miami. Laundry went to three pro bowls, with the Dolphins. He got shipped out because he dared talk to the Diva HC about his role in the offense. Gase is doing the same thing here. You wait. He'll be gone real quick.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, genot said:

He didn't bitch about team. He talked about the culture Gase created at Miami. Laundry went to three pro bowls, with the Dolphins. He got shipped out because he dared talk to the Diva HC about his role in the offense. Gase is doing the same thing here. You wait. He'll be gone real quick.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article223153290.html

• Upvote 3

If you look at his career stats they have declined each year, Do you really want to pay him 14 million dollars? I am certain they will probably keep him, but I would be happy to get a center or a 2nd or 3rd for him.
WIL426411.png

Leonard Williams   #92 DE

New York Jets | Official Team Site

Height: 6-5   Weight: 302   Age: 24

Born: 6/20/1994 Bakersfield , CA

College: USC

Experience: 5th season

High School: Mainland HS [Daytona Beach,

Tackles   Interceptions
Year Team G  Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int TDs Yds Avg Lng
2018 New York Jets 16    42 27 15 5.0 -- 2 -- -- -- 0.0 --

2017 New York Jets 16    47 22 25 2.0 -- 1 1 0 6 6.0 6

2016 New York Jets 16    68 36 32 7.0 -- 0 -- -- -- 0.0 --

2015 New York Jets 16     63 29 34 3.0 -- 0 -- -- -- 0.0 --

TOTAL 64   220 114 106 17.0 0 3 1 0 6 -- 6

image.png

image.png

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

It would be asinine to get rid of Leo for anything less then a first rounder and I still think it’s stupid. He’s a good player that could be really good with a new DC and new players on the Dline with him. 

What makes you think you could get a 1st round pick for Leo, he has underachieved for 4 years? If he were as good as you think there is no way they would get rid of him.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Eaton Beaver said:

What makes you think you could get a 1st round pick for Leo, he has underachieved for 4 years? If he were as good as you think there is no way they would get rid of him.

If he’s as bad as some posters think he won’t get $14 million a year.

As I’ve said 100 times. If they trade Leo they’ll need to replace him. You either get someone that cost more and is better, cost the same and is as talented or someone who sucks but is cheaper. I’d rather keep Leo this season and see how he does. He’s not a bad player. 

As for as the first goes, they won’t get a first for him but I’d rather they keep him instead of taken a crapshoot on a draft pick and hope he’s better anyway. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Landry runs a 4.7 on his best day. Routes downfield aren’t his cup of tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at what he did with the Browns last year. 81 catches, and averaged more than 4 more yards a catch than he did with the Phins. Your right, he isn't the down field threat that an Anderson is,[or whoever], but to bring up wanting to do more on the outside, and basically told to get lost by the coach, and then get shipped out. It's disturbing to me.

16 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

If he’s as bad as some posters think he won’t get $14 million a year.

As I’ve said 100 times. If they trade Leo they’ll need to replace him. You either get someone that cost more and is better, cost the same and is as talented or someone who sucks but is cheaper. I’d rather keep Leo this season and see how he does. He’s not a bad player. 

As for as the first goes, they won’t get a first for him but I’d rather they keep him instead of taken a crapshoot on a draft pick and hope he’s better anyway. 

They literally just replaced him with the 3rd pick in the draft.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tkiss24 said:

Shouldn’t be. I’m actually frightened that this year we will get like 10-12 sacks out of him, give him a long term deal then get 8-10 sacks over the next 5 years

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If we get 10-12 sacks out of him then I'd franchise tag him for 2020, and then potentially look at trading him.  Even though this just seems like the Jetsiest thing ever, drafting an excellent DT and watching him get 10 sacks, then trading him at the ripe old age of 25 or 26, I could probably get on board as long as two things happen:  1) QW is looking solid 2) The compensation for Leo is good (something like getting a 1st round pick and sending a 6th back to the trade partner).

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, choon328 said:

They literally just replaced him with the 3rd pick in the draft.

I didn't realize that we only played with (1) one defensive lineman.  I thought we ran a 3-4 defense, with (3) three defensive linemen?  

14 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

So Leo won’t be on the field the same time as  QWillaims? Is Leo his backup?

I'd like to see those two guys rotating but also getting on the field simultaneously something like 50% of the time.  I think a Henry Anderson - Q Williams - Leo Williams front 3 would be dynamite with guys like Mosely, Williamson, Jenkins, Polite behind them.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

If we get 10-12 sacks out of him then I'd franchise tag him for 2020, and the potentially look at trading him.  Even though this just seems like the Jetsiest thing ever, drafting an excellent DT and watching him get 10 sacks, then trading him at the ripe old age of 25 or 26, I could probably get on board as long as two things happen:  1) QW is looking solid 2) The compensation for Leo is good (something like getting a 1st round pick and sending a 6th back to the trade partner).

I would be on board with that also. One good thing about firing Mac is we don’t have a gm who feels the need to hang on to a guy like Williams just to keep his draft record looking “good”

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'd like to see those two guys rotating but also getting on the field simultaneously something like 50% of the time.  I think a Henry Anderson - Q Williams - Leo Williams front 3 would be dynamite with guys like Mosely, Williamson, Jenkins, Polite behind them.

It has a chance of being a very good defense especially if the offense doesn’t go three and out all the time. 

• Upvote 3

Although you would think differently watching games, Leo’s and Trey Flowers stats last year were not that different.  He could conceivably get a large contract.

But for where this team is, and after drafting Quinnen and the other DL, and signing Henry, I would rather have a 2 or 3 draft pick and Leo’s $14mm to use next year to sign an OL. 

• Upvote 2