How the Jets crashed and burned after back-to-back AFCCG appearances

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Simple. Rex was a good coach, but horrible player evaluator, team builder. Mangini couldn’t coach for shi! But he pushed mike t to draft/sign the right players. He was the one pushing to build a Strong OL, which Rex benefited greatly from those 2 years. But Rex and mike t let the OL decline, not doin anything to replenish. Instead mike t allowed Rex to draft D busts like coples and prior.. Rex did take the almost exact same D that was ranked 16-18 2 years before him, and made it number 1 and 3 in his first 2 years.. maybe we should have fired mike t and promoted Mangini to gm ha. I don’t think he would have been bullied by doing whatever Rex wanted like the little B mike t

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, sec101row23 said:

The ramifications of the uncapped year and all the restrictions that were in place regarding acquiring free agents crippled Tanny’s ability to add talent.   Combined with some bad drafting, started a downward spiral that couldn’t be reversed.  

Everyone had uncapped year.   Tanny kept trading up, had very few draft picks, the whole O Line got old together, and he brought in some questionable character types.

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Everyone had uncapped year.   Tanny kept trading up, had very few draft picks, the whole O Line got old together, and he brought in some questionable character types.

Correct.  But in order to sign a free agent you had to let one of your own walk.  It restricted the player movement that year and didn’t allow teams to sign who they wanted.   

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Simple. Rex was a good coach, but horrible player evaluator, team builder. Mangini couldn’t coach for shi! But he pushed mike t to draft/sign the right players. He was the one pushing to build a Strong OL, which Rex benefited greatly from those 2 years. But Rex and mike t let the OL decline, not doin anything to replenish. Instead mike t allowed Rex to draft D busts like coples and prior.. Rex did take the almost exact same D that was ranked 16-18 2 years before him, and made it number 1 and 3 in his first 2 years.. maybe we should have fired mike t and promoted Mangini to gm ha. I don’t think he would have been bullied by doing whatever Rex wanted like the little B mike t

I love how mangini gets all the credit for those drafts and gets no blame for gholston by the way.  How did manginis drafts go in Cleveland?  Why hasn't another team hired him for their front office?

We spent a lot in far on good, older players.  We traded away a lot of draft picks go get some good players either in trades for established players or to move up in the draft.  It worked for a few years but we the labor issues looking in 2011 which have us the final 4/final 8 rules after 2009/10 really hampered us and we had cap issues.  They made some huge mistakes post 2010 but Wes poised to clean it up after 2012.  Then we fired tannenbaum and hired idzik which led to Rex getting fired and Bowles getting hired and that's what happened.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Didn't watch, but the Tim Tebow acquisition was an absolute blow to this franchise.

It was made because :

a) ownership meddling in wanting a marketable player

b) Rex loving the read option, because it was a defense he could not defend.

The tebow thing was very overrated, that 2012 team didn't have a lot of talent and the best O and D players were out for the season within the first month.  That is why we sucked not because of some small trade for tebow.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

The tebow thing was very overrated, that 2012 team didn't have a lot of talent and the best O and D players were out for the season within the first month.  That is why we sucked not because of some small trade for tebow.

Tebow made it a circus. Combined with Rex, it was a 3 ring circus.

Tebow also solidified making football decisions based on marketing, rather that evaluation.

Did not watch the video yet.

A few things for me.

- The Gholston bust really hurt this team.  A legit high end edge rusher would have made a huge difference.

- Huge mistake for the Jets going after Sanchez when they were in win now mode and a solid vet QB would have made a big difference.

- Favre and the 1st year of rex may have been a super bowl winning combo.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

A few things for me.
- The Gholston bust really hurt this team.  A legit high end edge rusher would have made a huge difference.
- Huge mistake for the Jets going after Sanchez when they were in win now mode and a solid vet QB would have made a big difference.

Indeed. It really does suck yo have been that close, and with a jets coach who was essentially a Jets fan, and have it implode like it did. I loved how red came in and changed the culture immediately. Brash and violent. Problem is that gets really old really fast when you’re not winning.

The 2011 offseason was devastating to that team. Losing Ellis, Braylon, coach, b Smith while adding mason, plax etc was an incredible loss of character guys who loved the team.

Just the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Didn't watch, but the Tim Tebow acquisition was an absolute blow to this franchise.

It was made because :

b) Rex loving the read option, because it was a defense he could not defend.

All true. But this was a running offense. Tebow could have been effective as an h back if you got him the ball on the otuside in space, which is where he did damage with the Broncos. It wasn't a completely bad idea for a team that was bad at passing. Instead though every time Tebow got in the game he ran straight up the middle. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

pretty much sums it up.  they started going south when woody retired and then moore and they didn't replace those guys with anyone half as good.  and then they never did have really good wr's except for the two seasons with edwards and the one holmes season.  instead rex pushed guys like coples and then pryor with idzik.  these guys were just not worth their draft positions.

• Upvote 1

pretty much sums it up.  they started going south when woody retired and then moore and they didn't replace those guys with anyone half as good.  and then they never did have really good wr's except for the two seasons with edwards and the one holmes season.  instead rex pushed guys like coples and then pryor with idzik.  these guys were just not worth their draft positions.

I'm the video it said rex pushed for idzik to move up for obj which if true means Pryor was not who he wanted.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

32 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Yep. And Mangini also brought in Alan Faneca who was a great OL but end of his career. Rex and m t just let him go without trying to full his shoes 

I'm still haunted by the collapse. But honestly this needs to be correctly identified as the ones having culpability in such a debacle. It all started with MIKE TANNENBAUM. All of the other unfortunate events that plagued the Jets wouldn't have mattered if Tanny had just drafted talent. But he didn't, in fact his picks were Idzik bad.

20 minutes ago, GhostOfGlennFoley said:

I still think the thing that doomed that era more than anything was replacing Cotchery and Edwards with Mason and Burress. Cotch and Braylon weren't world beaters, but having solid guys who have a good rapport with a young quarterback is imperative.

Losing Cotch was a huge contributing factor. Remember, Tanny traded for Holmes. In order to make him happy, Rex gave him the number 2 WR starting spot. A spot Cotch thought he was entitled to. Quite frankly I agree with Cotch. He had better hands than both Braylon and Holmes. Rex also wanted Holmes. Unfortunately, the NYJ roof wasn't large enough for Holmes ego and his expectations

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

A few things for me.

While the veteran QB angle is something Ive never really thought about, the truth is that a lot of the moves (tebow and gholston aside obviously) were somewhat strategic, but unfortunately depended on sanchez making a leap that was clearly impossible for him.

Giving a rookie that defense and offensive line, and then adding in FA skill position players is a great way to bring someone along slowly.  Then, when those players either get too old or require big contracts at the same time as your now not so young QB, your QB needs to elevate the play of the guys around him - and sanchez couldn't.  I dont think anyone thought he would implode to being the disaster he was, but had he continued to progress, then the contract wouldn't have been that bad and the team could have built around him.

I wish I had enjoyed those championship runs more

21 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Tebow made it a circus. Combined with Rex, it was a 3 ring circus.

Tebow also solidified making football decisions based on marketing, rather that evaluation.

I'd agree with that but we were going to stink regardless especially when Keller went down then revis and Holmes.

The sad thing is tebow could have been great in the Brad Smith role but he wanted to be a QB and never fully embraced it.

On 5/23/2019 at 5:09 PM, T0mShane said:

Me, listening to people trying to blame the downfall of Rex on Tim Tebow and Vernon Gholston:

9A5673C2-5B5E-42E2-8399-60A5C608EB64.gif

Trying to win NFL games 13-10 every week is like trying to hold back the tide with a broomstick. Under these rules offenses and especially passing offense is going to beat you a few times every game. Instead of trying to pitch a shutout, throw the ball and score some points yourself. 

• Upvote 1

It was made because :
B) Rex loving the read option, because it was a defense he could not defend.

Pretty sure it was in Collision Low Crossers. The story was Rex and Tanny we’re sitting in an airport when they heard the news that DEN was willing to trade Tebow. Rex was pushing for the move because Tebow had recently beaten Rex’s D. Rex has a penchant for guys that beat him, ie Santonio who repeatedly torched Rex’s D’s in the past. He felt they could use Tebow in a wildcat package the way they used Brad Smith, but with more passing options as well. Tanny was reluctant at the idea, but Rex enthusiastically convinced him it would work.

Tanny took it to Woody and Woody was also extremely reluctant at the idea as well because Sanchez was already embattled in the media and had just gotten a new contract. Rex again convinced Woody that he could control it and eventually Woody got onboard. Once the deal was done and the media spotlight came Woody and the PR folks saw an opportunity for sales and went overboard with the private plane, press conf, and ESPN camp visits and the circus ensued.

But by all accounts it was Rex who made it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1