Jump to content

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I think the call in Dr Phil for an intervention and then talk it out

Why you busting me on this. I'm not saying this will happen, but it could. Just an opinion. I don't think BB, would have lasted as long as he has, if he strung together some losing seasons. He's won, and things are overlooked, that might not have been otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Nah, I just don't get the connection.  It is funny knowing Al Davis called out Lane the pain.  He was right, snake in the grass.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/usc-fired-coach-lane-kiffin-on-plane-2013-9

Lane couldn’t handle the L.A. press....he was a media nightmare, at a school known for it’s school of cinematic arts and media.

you’re actually posting a link to an article about the Crypt Keeper and his opinion of Lane???  Seriously?  That bastard was responsible for screwing Marcus Allen by benching him to punish him for daring to have a voice in what he felt he was worth and requesting to be traded.  Davis acted like a plantation owner and Marcus his slave.  To hell with Davis and his opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, genot said:

Why you busting me on this. I'm not saying this will happen, but it could. Just an opinion. I don't think BB, would have lasted as long as he has, if he strung together some losing seasons. He's won, and things are overlooked, that might not have been otherwise.

Lighten up Francis, its sports in the offseason.   Half joking, no one is busting hard here

I also dont believe for a second that BB gives a F about any of the stuff mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will the new GM (whoever he is) get hired with the understanding that he has the right to choose his own head coach in day-1 or are we in a world where ownership feels obliged to give Gase 1-2 years at least?

Not saying it will not end up being Gase but this leapfrogging of HCs and GMs has to stop.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EM31 said:

Will the new GM (whoever he is) get hired with the understanding that he has the right to choose his own head coach in day-1 or are we in a world where ownership feels obliged to give Gase 1-2 years at least?

Not saying it will not end up being Gase but this leapfrogging of HCs and GMs has to stop.

If the GM proves to ownership he is smart enough, worth listening, gains their respect he will.  Think its that way anywhere.  Just as I'd imagine there are GMs hired who an owner may think going in has that right but after a few years hasnt earned enough trust of confidence to be allowed to make a move on his own.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Lighten up Francis, its sports in the offseason.   Half joking, no one is busting hard here

I also dont believe for a second that BB gives a F about any of the stuff mentioned.

Lol. I know. As far as x's and o's go, Gase is the best we've had in a while. I'm not going to discount Laundry's view that Gase created somewhat of a toxic atmosphere. Sour grapes. Probably. Understand Sgt Hulka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, genot said:

Lol. I know. As far as x's and o's go, Gase is the best we've had in a while. I'm not going to discount Laundry's view that Gase created somewhat of a toxic atmosphere. Sour grapes. Probably. Understand Sgt Hulka

Nice to have a smart guy on the sideline.

Remember there was talk that Landry might hold out.  He wanted to be paid, wanted to be paid as the highest paid WR in the NFL.  Gase wouldnt give it to him.  He got it from Cleveland then bitched and moaned about Gase.  Not surprisingly.  

And by the end of the season was playing as the Browns 3rd WR.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Nice to have a smart guy on the sideline.

Remember there was talk that Landry might hold out.  He wanted to be paid, wanted to be paid as the highest paid WR in the NFL.  Gase wouldnt give it to him.  He got it from Cleveland then bitched and moaned about Gase.  Not surprisingly.  

And by the end of the season was playing as the Browns 3rd WR.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Nice to have a smart guy on the sideline.

Remember there was talk that Landry might hold out.  He wanted to be paid, wanted to be paid as the highest paid WR in the NFL.  Gase wouldnt give it to him.  He got it from Cleveland then bitched and moaned about Gase.  Not surprisingly.  

And by the end of the season was playing as the Browns 3rd WR.  

Something tells me these coaches tell Adams, Maye, Poole, to sweep Landrys leg in game #2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Will the new GM (whoever he is) get hired with the understanding that he has the right to choose his own head coach in day-1 or are we in a world where ownership feels obliged to give Gase 1-2 years at least?

Not saying it will not end up being Gase but this leapfrogging of HCs and GMs has to stop.

The problem was in hiring these subpar candidates in the first place, not in firing them after too few of their failures.

Ironically the thing that let Bowles and Macc last even this long was CJ’s admission that he wasn’t paying attention to them, resulting in their extensions a year & a half ago. 

I’m way past hoping for CJ to see the light and hire good people. We’re in pure hoping for luck territory. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The problem was in hiring these subpar candidates in the first place, not in firing them after too few of their failures.

Ironically the thing that let Bowles and Macc last even this long was CJ’s admission that he wasn’t paying attention to them, resulting in their extensions a year & a half ago. 

I’m way past hoping for CJ to see the light and hire good people. We’re in pure hoping for luck territory. 

Nothing to disagree with there but the question basically still stands. Not how did we get into this mess but how do we get out of it? As things stand each new hire has an "inherited" excuse for not succeeding. 

"How can we expect success from a GM if he did not have the freedom to hire his own head coach?" followed by... 

"How can we expect success from this head coach if the GM at the top and his vision for how to build a team was changed in the middle of the HC's tenure?"

Rinse, wash, repeat.

How do we get back on sequence where a new GM gets to hire his own HC from the start?

Does Gase get 1-2 years minimum no matter who the new GM is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Nothing to disagree with there but the question basically still stands. Not how did we get into this mess but how do we get out of it? As things stand each new hire has an "inherited" excuse for not succeeding. 

"How can we expect success from a GM if he did not have the freedom to hire his own head coach?" followed by... 

"How can we expect success from this head coach if the GM at the top and his vision for how to build a team was changed in the middle of the HC's tenure?"

Rinse, wash, repeat.

How do we get back on sequence where a new GM gets to hire his own HC from the start?

Does Gase get 1-2 years minimum no matter who the new GM is?

One good way would have been to fire Maccagnan at the same time as Bowles like 95% of fans knew he should have done.

I guess it isn’t that big of a deal if the HC effectively hires the GM. The important thing is that they’re on the same page, and it seems easier to learn to be a good (or acceptable) GM on the job than it is to learn to be a good HC who can overcome injuries and shortcomings on the roster.

One job requires good judgment. The other requires more nuanced knowledge on top of good judgment, plus leadership qualities on top of that where you get people to listen to you and keep listening to you. 

Anyway I don’t think this will be as much of a forcefeed as the prior 2 arranged marriages. I think the longterm DC arranged marriage will last as long as the D looks good and doesn’t blow games late, but it’ll last the year at a minimum. By mid-January 2020 at the latest everyone should be officially working with the people he wants. GM/HC, GM/scouts, HC/DC-and-DC-son, etc. (and it’d only take that long just because of the latter). 

I think Gase and the new GM both get at least 3 years, so long as they don’t start out with another back to back pair of seasons with 5 or fewer wins. Even then it’ll be a matter of optimism on being on the cusp of a turnaround (finishing with rebuild 44.0) or if there’s a general malaise type feeling in Florham Park. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 8:53 AM, FidelioJet said:

It is, in fact, a fact.  Don't act like this guy wasn't just a failure of a head coach in our own division.

We can't and shouldn't assume nothing -  He's a known quantity.

So by going 1 game under 500 with a bad team, you label a coach as a failure? When this team turns it around under Gase I am sure you will give all the credit to Mccagnon, why don't you just give the guy a chance and take your pessimistic BS somewhere else.

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any coach that comes into the AFC East is gonna lose some games because the Patriots are in this division. 

Just go back & look at the Patriots record AT HOME in the regular season the last  18 years. It's ridiculous, and don't give me this sh*t it's because they're beating up on the Jets, Bill, and Fins, that team takes on all comers in Gillette. 

I love the fact that Gase has had some success vs Brady & Belichick. He's got his young stud QB, he's got a great RB, and every year we upgrade the players here the Patriots get older, the important ones, Brady, Belichick, Edelman now that Gronk has retired. In 2020, Brady will be 43 & Edelman, 34!!!

I mean seriously, if these guys don't slow down by then there needs to be an investigation into what these guys are putting in their bodies.

Gase timing could not have been better to get fired by Miami. Stephen Ross is an idiot in Woody Johnsons league. You know Gase is gonna Mike Shanahan Miami for YEARS, like Shanahan did to Al Davis when he fired him & he went to Denver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eaton Beaver said:

So by going 1 game under 500 with a bad team, you label a coach as a failure? When this team turns it around under Gase I am sure you will give all the credit to Mccagnon, why don't you just give the guy a chance and take your pessimistic BS somewhere else.

giphy.gif

I'm supposed to leave this site because I don't agree with your opinion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

One good way would have been to fire Maccagnan at the same time as Bowles like 95% of fans knew he should have done.

I guess it isn’t that big of a deal if the HC effectively hires the GM. The important thing is that they’re on the same page, and it seems easier to learn to be a good (or acceptable) GM on the job than it is to learn to be a good HC who can overcome injuries and shortcomings on the roster.

One job requires good judgment. The other requires more nuanced knowledge on top of good judgment, plus leadership qualities on top of that where you get people to listen to you and keep listening to you. 

Anyway I don’t think this will be as much of a forcefeed as the prior 2 arranged marriages. I think the longterm DC arranged marriage will last as long as the D looks good and doesn’t blow games late, but it’ll last the year at a minimum. By mid-January 2020 at the latest everyone should be officially working with the people he wants. GM/HC, GM/scouts, HC/DC-and-DC-son, etc. (and it’d only take that long just because of the latter). 

I think Gase and the new GM both get at least 3 years, so long as they don’t start out with another back to back pair of seasons with 5 or fewer wins. Even then it’ll be a matter of optimism on being on the cusp of a turnaround (finishing with rebuild 44.0) or if there’s a general malaise type feeling in Florham Park. 

Which is probably the way it plays out but the follow up question of course would be, is the quality of GM candidates negatively impacted if the new GM is being asked to accept an "arranged marriage" as a condition of accepting the job?  I suspect that many of us feel that the answer to that is yes, as in "what GM worth his salt would accept....?". 

Fun times.

All in all a heck of a way to run a railroad.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Which is probably the way it plays out but the follow up question of course would be, is the quality of GM candidates negatively impacted if the new GM is being asked to accept an "arranged marriage" as a condition of accepting the job?  I suspect that many of us feel that the answer to that is yes, as in "what GM worth his salt would accept....?". 

Fun times.

All in all a heck of a way to run a railroad.

In most cases I would tend to agree with you. In the case of the Jets both names floated as candidates have had a working relationship with Gase. I would think because of that working relationship both men know what to expect and would be fine with him as Coach. Both men will have other options in the future, no need too sell your soul at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EM31 said:

Which is probably the way it plays out but the follow up question of course would be, is the quality of GM candidates negatively impacted if the new GM is being asked to accept an "arranged marriage" as a condition of accepting the job?  I suspect that many of us feel that the answer to that is yes, as in "what GM worth his salt would accept....?". 

Fun times.

All in all a heck of a way to run a railroad.

Maybe. But if it was, then the implication is that only such a substandard GM would be agreeable to hiring Adam Gase. 

As to your closing statement? It’s the Jets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 8:53 AM, FidelioJet said:

It is, in fact, a fact.  Don't act like this guy wasn't just a failure of a head coach in our own division.

We can't and shouldn't assume nothing -  He's a known quantity.

The hiring of Gase after being fired by Miami is exactly analogous to the Bills hiring Rex Ryan after the jets fired him 

he never doesn’t stand this way. Can someone please give him some standing lessons? 

Yiu have to be truly exceptional to get away with such poor interpersonal and presentation skills, and he’s given no indication of it 

28D79380-58ED-48EE-85E0-AC7410BAB4A3.png

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Xtina said:

The hiring of Gase after being fired by Miami is exactly analogous to the Bills hiring Rex Ryan after the jets fired him 

he never doesn’t stand this way. Can someone please give him some standing lessons? 

Yiu have to be truly exceptional to get away with such poor interpersonal and presentation skills, and he’s given no indication of it 

28D79380-58ED-48EE-85E0-AC7410BAB4A3.png

I think the gase hiring is quite a bit worse.  Rex had some real success getting to consecutive AFC Championships games and putting up multiple top 3 defenses.

While Gase put up multiple bottom 5 offenses.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I think the gase hiring is quite a bit worse.  Rex had some real success getting to consecutive AFC Championships games and putting up multiple top 3 defenses.

While Gase put up multiple bottom 5 offenses.

If Miami thought it was all on Gase, they wouldn't have been in such a hurry to unload Tannehill and dump a boat load of other players.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I think the gase hiring is quite a bit worse.  Rex had some real success getting to consecutive AFC Championships games and putting up multiple top 3 defenses.

While Gase put up multiple bottom 5 offenses.

I thought I saw a stat with him being 11-0 with his starting QB?  its all about sam, if he continues to grow we will be successful and contenders for years to come.  He looks a hell of lot more like a man coming into this year, just thicker.  excited to see what we will do on offense this year :)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I thought I saw a stat with him being 11-0 with his starting QB?  its all about sam, if he continues to grow we will be successful and contenders for years to come.  He looks a hell of lot more like a man coming into this year, just thicker.  excited to see what we will do on offense this year :)

I agree, good QB play solves most issues.

I guess that's probably my biggest concern with the Gase hire.  I believe Darnold is the real deal .

Locker room/Team discord is one of the few things, in a coaches control, that can derail season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I think the gase hiring is quite a bit worse.  Rex had some real success getting to consecutive AFC Championships games and putting up multiple top 3 defenses.

While Gase put up multiple bottom 5 offenses.

Rex had success with a team Mangini had been building (oline, discipline, ect). The team's discipline started to erode the moment Rex took over and after initial success, once the Rex way was truly in affect, for four years Rex went nowhere as did Rex's successor in part because Rex left an absolute mess of a team with no discipline, a lot of loud noises, and little developed talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Rex had success with a team Mangini had been building (oline, discipline, ect). The team's discipline started to erode the moment Rex took over and after initial success, once the Rex way was truly in affect, for four years Rex went nowhere as did Rex's successor in part because Rex left an absolute mess of a team with no discipline, a lot of loud noises, and little developed talent.

What talent did Gase develop?

All I was saying was saying is the Gase hire was worse than the RR hire - simply because Rex had some early success.

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What talent did Gase develop?

All I was saying was saying is the Gase hire was worse than the RR hire - simply because Rex had some early success.

Couldn't tell you about any potential good young dolphins as I don't follow Miami, but they swept the Jets this year. The Jets were 1-5 against the Gase led Phins the last three years. Gase also swept Rex in 2016.  Rex in context isn't very impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...