• Dan Leberfeld
    • Brian Costello
    • Connor Hughes
    • Eric Allen
    • Darry Slater
    • Matt Stypulkoski
    • J.P. Pelzman
    • Ba-Ba-Booey

At least over the last regime, none of them have struck me as remotely reliable when it comes to inside scoops. There have even been times I've really suspected Manish of making up things he has reported from his "sources". 

Since I dont think any of them have much inside info, for me, it comes down to their take on stuff after the fact. I can't stand Manish. His "reporting" is always full of whatever BS agenda he has that day.

Used to hate Cimni because I thought his reporting was excessively negative, but I actually find him to be the most balanced these days

• Sympathy 1

Serby deserves a spot on the poll.

That said... I like Cimini, Costello, and Hughes.  All 3 are decent reporters. 

But Cimini is the best writer.  His piece on Gastineau's battle with cancer was excellent.  Beyond the ability of most everyday sportswriters.

If you haven't read it yet...

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/79737/mark-gastineaus-40-year-odyssey-sleeper-sack-dancer-cancer-patient

• Upvote 1

For me, it was Hughes until he lost his f*cking marbles crying over Maccagnan being fired because it was clear he lost a valuable source (Heimerdinger was apparently a Chatty Cathy) that helped him bring in those "The Athletic" subscriptions.  He honestly threw an even bigger tantrum than Mehta.

Can get extremely frustrated by Cimini, but he's probably the best one we have in terms of article quality and sources.  To top it off, he doesnt throw a sh*tfit that you'd expect from a 2 year old when the Jets do something that he disagrees with.

• Upvote 1

Hughes is good. Costello went to my high school so I have a soft spot for him. Cimini has gotten better. 

Personally though, in 2019, I find Jet Nation and (I hope there's no rivalry) Gang Green Nation to be the best at what a beat reporter's job has evolved into. I find the in-house columns, not necessarily the comments, to be balanced more often than not.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Darryl Slater and Connor Hughes.

Connor brings some actual football knowledge to the table. So his takes are more than just reporting.

Darryl Slater generally just reports and keeps things clean. Although recently he has gotten into the soap opera mix. So I may sour on him soon. I’m just not a fan of reporters that try to stir stuff up. 

• Upvote 2

I don't pay for the Athletic but find Hughes a good follow on Twitter - less melodramatic and more substantial than Cimini, et al. Of course, anything is better than Manish. 

Also enjoy Connor Rodgers at BR for Jets, he represents Jet fans well.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Serby deserves a spot on the poll.

That said... I like Cimini, Costello, and Hughes.  All 3 are decent reporters. 

But Cimini is the best writer.  His piece on Gastineau's battle with cancer was excellent.  Beyond the ability of most everyday sportswriters.

If you haven't read it yet...

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/79737/mark-gastineaus-40-year-odyssey-sleeper-sack-dancer-cancer-patient

Cimini is terrible.  Total negative Nancy who cried that we passed on Paxton freakin Lynch

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

Tell us what beat reporter you like the best.

I'd rather tell you which beat reporters deserve to be beaten silly.

But the best is former Newark Star-Ledger Connor Hughes.  

It's funny.  When Mehta was the Jets reporter for the Newark Star-Ledger, he was also clearly the best at that time.  

Me thinks way too much has to do with which rag the beat reporter happens to work for.  

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It's a little unfair to the younger "reporters" because their job isn't the same as Cimini's and Mehta's job. Cimini and Mehta are actual journalists who know how to interview people, investigate stories, and write compelling columns.

They also work for larger outlets, who as part of their jobs have to keep fans coming back for more, whos employers are more concerned with keeping clicks.  The smaller outlets have more of a we are what we are existence IMO.  NYDN can't lose readership from their sports pages, its counted on for revenue more that smaller outlets. 

Seems to explain how a Manish goes from a pretty good, fair beat reporter to someone who is more known for sensationalism that actual football or Jets insight.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They also work for larger outlets, who as part of their jobs have to keep fans coming back for more, whos employers are more concerned with keeping clicks that the smaller outlets that have more of a we are what we are existence.  NYDN cant lose readership from their sports pages, its counted on for revenue more that smaller outlets.  Seems to explain how a Manish goes from a pretty good, fair reporter to someone who is more known for sensationalism that actual sports

Good points. The Daily News has always been a shameless tabloid and I think we forget that. They need those clicks more than any other publication out there simply because of their scale. The Post is similar, but they have all that Rupert money, so they can afford to be nondescript. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'd rather tell you which beat reporters deserve to be beaten silly.

But the best is former Newark Star-Ledger Connor Hughes.  

It's funny.  When Mehta was the Jets reporter for the Newark Star-Ledger, he was also clearly the best at that time.  

Me thinks way too much has to do with which rag the beat reporter happens to work for.  

Hughes clearly has talent and I think he'll flourish if he ever gets to an outlet where he can take more chances with the stories he writes. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Good points. The Daily News has always been a shameless tabloid and I think we forget that. They need those clicks more than any other publication out there simply because of their scale. The Post is similar, but they have all that Rupert money, so they can afford to be nondescript. 

Exactly.  NYDY was always odd in theyre more tabloid than obviously the Times, more Post like but think theyre the Times.  Odd paper in that way.

When I started watching sports you would buy a paper and just read about your team.  Practices, games, players more fact based reporting without all the over the top editorialization, without ever reading all the minutia and sensationalism we get today.  Those type of articles were reserved for Sunday morning expanded sections.  Like Lupica's Lip articles or if a major blow up happened like Seaver's contract problems with the Mets where his personal life, his wife was brought into the equation by Dick Young and it led to him asking out. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly.  NYDY was always odd in theyre more tabloid than obviously the Times, more Post like but think theyre the Times.  Odd paper in that way.

When I started watching sports you would buy a paper and just read about your team.  Practices, games, players more fact based reporting without all the over the top editorialization, without ever reading all the minutia and sensationalism we get today.  Those type of articles were reserved for Sunday morning expanded sections.  Like Lupica's Lip articles or if a major blow up happened like Seaver's contract problems with the Mets where his personal life, his wife was brought into the equation by Dick Young and it led to him asking out. 

We sound old, but those were good times. Reporters were better and you felt more engaged with the teams because it wasn't in your face at all times. If you wanted to know anything, you had to read the paper.

• Upvote 2