• Brian Costello
    • Connor Hughes
    • Eric Allen
    • Darry Slater
    • Matt Stypulkoski
    • J.P. Pelzman
    • Ba-Ba-Booey

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

We sound old, but those were good times. Reporters were better and you felt more engaged with the teams because it wasn't in your face at all times. If you wanted to know anything, you had to read the paper.

In fairness they had more time to construct their one article because they didn’t have to worry about their news being olds by the time it was printed.

Now? Other than their editorial sensationalism, who needs these self-promoters? The news is out there in 2 seconds anyway. Yes it’s perhaps written less artfully, but it also gets right to the point in 280 characters or less. Manish isn’t breaking any news. Neither is Cimini, Hughes, etc. Their entire worth is the entertainment value by making themselves part of the story, which random people here seem happy to oblige even though they play the part of the writers’ PR firms with purported disdain.

Like most people in the city and greater metro area, I haven’t bought a copy of the DN in 20 years, and only end up on its website by accident if I click a link when I meant to drag/scroll down. Yet I’m familiar with this imp’s name, and he’s remained on the DN payroll even as his employer has cut its number of news reporters down to the number of employees at a local small business. From that standpoint, he’s good at what he does even if literally nobody likes him. Meh, nobody liked Cosell either until he was gone, even though many now pretend they did. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In fairness they had more time to construct their one article because they didn’t have to worry about their news being olds by the time it was printed.

Now? Other than their editorial sensationalism, who needs these self-promoters? The news is out there in 2 seconds anyway. Yes it’s perhaps written less artfully, but it also gets right to the point in 280 characters or less. Manish isn’t breaking any news. Neither is Cimini, Hughes, etc. Their entire worth is the entertainment value by making themselves part of the story, which random people here seem happy to oblige even though they do so with purported disdain.

Like most people in the city and greater metro area, I haven’t bought a copy of the DN in 20 years, and only end up on its website by accident if I click a link when I meant to drag/scroll down. Yet I’m familiar with this imp’s name, and he’s remained on the payroll even as his employer has cut its number of news reporters down to the number of employees at a local small business. From that standpoint, he’s good at what he does even if literally nobody likes him. Meh, nobody liked Cosell either until he was gone, even though many now pretend they did. 

My youngest son was going on a trip two weeks ago on a Sunday. I bought bagels for the kids that were going for the car ride. When I was in the bagel place, I picked up the Daily News. They all left on the trip and I read the paper. Definitely the first time I did that in over 10 years.

The big difference now is you can get through the entire thing pretty quick. Seems to be 30% of what it was back in the day.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

My youngest son was going on a trip two weeks ago on a Sunday. I bought bagels for the kids that were going for the car ride. When I was in the bagel place, I picked up the Daily News. They all left on the trip and I read the paper. Definitely the first time I did that in over 10 years.

The big difference now is you can get through the entire thing pretty quick. Seems to be 30% of what it was back in the day.

Just like the comparative size of rolls of toilet paper. Coincidence?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

We sound old, but those were good times. Reporters were better and you felt more engaged with the teams because it wasn't in your face at all times. If you wanted to know anything, you had to read the paper.

I tell my son's.  If go to the city in the morning with the NYDN to get the morning sports.  Post was for the commute home as they had a afternoon edition which the NYDN stopped putting out.  Newsday for lunch rounded out the routine.

But again it was all about what was going on with the team, the players and the games not digging up dirt on people, players.

We are getting old.

• Upvote 2

Obviously they all are quality writers/reporters (you don’t work at nyc newspaper if you aren’t), but none have proven to have any real sources or connections better than the national guys. As a result most of their content is commentary based rather than actually breaking news. 

That said  Adam Schefter probably has better sources than 90 percent of NFL beatwriters. Mary Kay Cabot (probably the best beat writer in the country) actually broke the Baker Mayfield news before Schefter last year so it can be done. 

12 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Serby deserves a spot on the poll.

That said... I like Cimini, Costello, and Hughes.  All 3 are decent reporters. 

But Cimini is the best writer.  His piece on Gastineau's battle with cancer was excellent.  Beyond the ability of most everyday sportswriters.

If you haven't read it yet...

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/79737/mark-gastineaus-40-year-odyssey-sleeper-sack-dancer-cancer-patient

Thank you! 

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

For me, it was Hughes until he lost his f*cking marbles crying over Maccagnan being fired because it was clear he lost a valuable source (Heimerdinger was apparently a Chatty Cathy) that helped him bring in those "The Athletic" subscriptions.  He honestly threw an even bigger tantrum than Mehta.

Can get extremely frustrated by Cimini, but he's probably the best one we have in terms of article quality and sources.  To top it off, he doesnt throw a sh*tfit that you'd expect from a 2 year old when the Jets do something that he disagrees with.

Thank you .. I think? Hah! 

I look forward to my writing and reporting bringing us back together ?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Hughes is good. Costello went to my high school so I have a soft spot for him. Cimini has gotten better. 

Personally though, in 2019, I find Jet Nation and (I hope there's no rivalry) Gang Green Nation to be the best at what a beat reporter's job has evolved into. I find the in-house columns, not necessarily the comments, to be balanced more often than not.

Thank you! 

7 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Darryl Slater and Connor Hughes.

Connor brings some actual football knowledge to the table. So his takes are more than just reporting.

Darryl Slater generally just reports and keeps things clean. Although recently he has gotten into the soap opera mix. So I may sour on him soon. I’m just not a fan of reporters that try to stir stuff up. 

Thank you! 

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

I'd rather tell you which beat reporters deserve to be beaten silly.

But the best is former Newark Star-Ledger Connor Hughes.  

It's funny.  When Mehta was the Jets reporter for the Newark Star-Ledger, he was also clearly the best at that time.  

Me thinks way too much has to do with which rag the beat reporter happens to work for.  

Thank you!!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Welcome to JN.  This is a GREAT place to gauge the pulse of a WIDE variety of Jets fans, with MANY extremely knowledgable ones.  Enjoy!

Hughes made an account here years ago and posted a poll asking what people thought about slideshows. This is not that account, so it’s a bit dubious.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Hughes made an account here years ago and posted a poll asking what people thought about slideshows. This is not that account, so it’s a bit dubious.

Oh.  Well if he reads that, it still applies anyway.  I wonder if he'll find his next Heimerdinger.  The clever ones always do. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Hughes first, Costello last.  That someone voted for Womannish is funny.

The thing is, when Manish puts his agenda side, the guy can write. 

He wrote a great piece a coule of weeks ago about Neville Hewitt and his mom and her legal struggles that led to her being deported.  Thought it was a great article.  But then he starts with his agenda against the Jets and his bullsh!t this past week.  If he could just stick to writing and not trying to make himself the story,

And no.  I am not the guy who voted Manish.

• Upvote 2

After all is said and done I think I love by what Hughes and Cimini report on a daily basis.  Part of the problem is there are to many outlets and to many reporting who are looking for a hook to get you to read.  So Hughes, Cimini and JN would fill my plate nicely.  No need to put up with the up and down agenda that the Mansh's of the world bring

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So Hughes, Cimini and JN would fill my plate nicely.  No need to put up with the up and down agenda that the Mansh's of the world bring

You don’t need to subtweet me, Jet Nut. I know you love my Jets analysis.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

you are correct about the old account, good memory. This one is really Connor though, just a new username that he signed up with today.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Well, good on him for coming here to respond to this slander. I would have just made an alt account, motherf*cked everyone in the thread, then framed Manish for it. 

Are you 100% sure this isn't Manish on the down low.

• Haha 1