• Brian Costello
    • Connor Hughes
    • Eric Allen
    • Darry Slater
    • Matt Stypulkoski
    • J.P. Pelzman
    • Ba-Ba-Booey

15 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Hughes is good. Costello went to my high school so I have a soft spot for him. Cimini has gotten better. 

Personally though, in 2019, I find Jet Nation and (I hope there's no rivalry) Gang Green Nation to be the best at what a beat reporter's job has evolved into. I find the in-house columns, not necessarily the comments, to be balanced more often than not.

Completely agree. I'd even take it a step further and say that, as far as good analysis and write ups go, there are posters on this board that I enjoy reading as much or more than any beat writer.

• Upvote 3

https://nypost.com/2019/05/25/sam-darnold-is-the-cure-to-all-the-jets-mayhem/amp/

Sam Darnold is the cure to all Jets mayhem

By Brian Costello

May 25, 2019 | 12:53pm

Sam Darnold and Adam Gase
Sam Darnold and Adam GaseBill Kostroun (2)

One of the most common storylines when NFL players come back to start the offseason is how much weight they have gained or lost.

When Sam Darnold took the field this week, I was curious to see if the second-year Jets quarterback looked heavier, because it sure feels like the weight of this entire organization is on his shoulders.

Fans are wondering about the team owner, head coach and whoever the next general manager is going to be. There are questions about whether the Jets are sliding back into their old dysfunctional ways, and why fans should trust that 2019 will be any different than the past eight years, when wins have been hard to come by.

The redhead wearing No. 14 is the reason to believe.

No, I’m not ready to put Darnold in Canton quite yet, as Bill Parcells might say. His rookie season had its low points (15 interceptions) but he also showed enough flashes, particularly late in the season, to make you believe the Jets may have finally got it right at quarterback.

Now, you give him Adam Gase as his head coach — an offensive mind who will be focused on bringing out the best of Darnold — and the Jets could see a huge jump this season from Darnold.

Darnold could be the latest in an NFL trend of quarterbacks progressing greatly in their second year and under a new head coach. The Rams replaced Jeff Fisher with Sean McVay, and Jared Goff benefitted in 2017. The Bears hired Matt Nagy to take over for John Fox, and Mitchell Trubisky took Chicago to the playoffs last year.

Can the pairing of Gase and Darnold have the same results?

“You never want to say, ‘Hey, this is what it’s going to be. It’s going to be this many touchdowns, this many yards …’ you really don’t know,” Gase said a few weeks ago. “I know this — what I’ve seen so far in our phase two [offseason] workouts in his relationship with the receivers and the running backs and the tight ends — I really like the way he works. I love the way he studies. The way he throws the ball is very impressive. He’s just natural. He rolls out of bed and he can sling that thing. It’s fun to be around how intense he is every day, trying to make sure he gets better.”

Gase witnessed quarterback greatness up close when he was the offensive coordinator in Denver with Peyton Manning. His first stint as a head coach with the Dolphins was hindered by the poor play of Ryan Tannehill, then Jay Cutler and Brock Osweiler when Tannehill was injured.

With the Jets, Gase gets a chance he has never had in his career — to work with a quarterback with immense potential at the beginning of his career.

There has been a lot of focus on relationships inside the Jets lately: Gase and former GM Mike Maccagnan. Gase and the new general manager. CEO Christopher Johnson and his underlings.

The relationship that matters most right now is Gase and Darnold. Both seem to be huge fans of the other right now. Darnold called Gase a “regular dude” and spoke with excitement about what he can do in Gase’s offense.

“I’m going to sling it around a little bit,” Darnold said. “It’s going to be fun.”

Darnold was graded on a curve last year after the Jets drafted him third overall. Mistakes by rookies are expected.

But now the pressure is on him to perform. The Jets have not been to a Super Bowl in 50 years and have not been to the playoffs in eight. He is the reason to believe those droughts could end sometime soon.

It is immense pressure for someone who does not turn 22 until next month. But Darnold can handle it. As a boy, his family called him “flat line” because he was always so consistent in his demeanor. He was the most scrutinized college football player in 2017 and was a Week 1 starter with the Jets last year. Pressure is nothing new for Darnold, who credits his supporting cast with keeping him grounded.

The weight of the organization is on his shoulders. But it does not seem to be weighing him down.

On 5/25/2019 at 4:41 PM, SAR I said:

It was Cimini up until last week where he took the Manish lies and ran with them too just to make a buck the Daily News way. 

SAR I

You stuck with him longer than most. For me I lost a lot of respect when he blocked JetNation on Twitter. This was after years of him reading everything on this site. Thin skin.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Connor is running away with it now

Connor has an advantage, though, working for The Athletic.  Focused more on traditional journalism than soundbites and clickbait which is what the more traditional newpaper sports sections have become.  I originally subscribed to Ahtletic for Islander coverage when they hire Arthur Staple away from Newsday.  It is worth the price of a subscirption.

I used to really like Daryl Slater at NJ.com until all of his articles became these stupid little slide shows that provide little sound bites that we already know.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

You stuck with him longer than most. For me I lost a lot of respect when he blocked JetNation on Twitter. This was after years of him reading everything on this site. Thin skin.

You did the right thing.  It took me too long to realize.

I tried, I tried really hard, to support Cimini and Cannizzaro, the two writers I grew up with back in the 80's, all through the years and even through the internet era.  But they've both (did you see Cannizzaro's hatchet job on Gase today?) jumped the shark and have lost all credibility with me.  Two more savants to the Twitter sensationalism that is the end of modern journalism.

In the name of "ridding the Jets of dysfunction" they go out of their way to assassinate a brand new coach and create dysfunction.  I know Gase is thick-skinned, but he's got a wife and kids and they are new to the neighborhood they live in and are in school and that type of journalism can affect Adam indirectly and he doesn't deserve that.

SAR I

• Upvote 3

On 5/25/2019 at 2:05 PM, T0mShane said:

It's a little unfair to the younger "reporters" because their job isn't the same as Cimini's and Mehta's job. Cimini and Mehta are actual journalists who know how to interview people, investigate stories, and write compelling columns. The fact that Manish uses those talents to troll Jets fans into getting a million impressions is unfortunate, but good for him for making a career out of it. Cimini is far and away the closest thing we have to an objective journalist covering the team and he's one hell of a writer besides. Jets fans still hate him, though, because he's covered this clown franchise for thirty years and he's been telling you it's a clown franchise for most of those thirty years. It's not Cimini's job to make you feel good about being a Jets fan; it's his job to report on what he sees and, for the most part, he's been honest in detailing the day-to-day disfunction of the organization over the past few decades. 

Hughes, Costello, and Slater are basically the same guy. They're technically reporters, but their main function is to disseminate whatever Eric Allen tells them to write. You saw this play out over the past few weeks when the Maccagnan-to-be-fired rumor blew up and again with the Peter Shrager rumor--Hughes, Costello, and Slater each ran to Twitter with the same exact tweet denying both of them. Their day to day coverage of the team is effectively the same sh*t, too. Their columns are lazy, they never interview anyone (which is unconscionable when you have a press pass), and most of what they write wouldn't qualify as a substantive thread starter on this nonsense message board. Where Cimini and Mehta are journalists, the younger set are more like bloggers; happy to produce 500 banal words regarding their feelings about this or that, simply looking to preserve the limited access the team provides them, which ensures their continued employment at whatever floundering media outlet pays them the minimum. On the one hand, this crew is doing the fans a great disservice by pretending to cover the team, but on the other hand, that's really the future of sports journalism--you are, for the most part, an employee of the team and you serve at their pleasure. What's sad is that you'd think the franchise would throw them a bone on some of the big stories, but they're always the last to know. Free agency is always funny with these guys having to quote-tweet Ian Rapoport about who the Jets just signed and helplessly write "Can confirm..." on top of it, If you're going to carry the water for the Jets franchise, dedicating yourself to never making waves in exchange for that little laminated press pass hanging around your neck, they could at least see to it you're not scooped at every turn on every story regarding the team they ostensibly cover. Imagine the shame they felt when Pauline beat them by three weeks to the Maccagnan story despite the fact that these dudes are allowed to be in the facility every day for work.  

This

Cimini by miles

Then Mehta, simply because his job is to be a tabloid sensationalist working for a sensationalist tabloid and to make himself and his publication relevant...he’s very good at it. 

his going after Gase now will look very interesting if/when the inevitable Gase blow-up happens and all those here trashing Mehta will be singing from his hymn sheet soon enough

The others are all meh bar KRL

Breer appears to be the most interesting and connected of the Nationals 

back to Cimini; his Sunday Notes are always essential reading and provide genuine insight and when he eventually does a Gerald Eskenazi type memoir of his years covering the Kets it ought to be essential reading for any Jets fan