Bell is worth it...

Le'V Bell is the man. 

People keep worrying about the OL opening holes.  He has the best vision in the game.  He'll find one. 

And if the defense they play that week really is too much for the running game?  He'll keep the chains moving anyway as a receiver.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Le'V Bell is the man. 

People keep worrying about the OL opening holes.  He has the best vision in the game.  He'll find one. 

And if the defense they play that week really is too much for the running game?  He'll keep the chains moving anyway as a receiver.

ya beat me to it. 

i'd guess part of the OL coaching is JUST STAY ON YOUR MAN

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mark78 said:

has burleson ever had to deal with a salary cap?  thought not.  there are high expectations for bell.  he's one of the few scary good players the jets have had over the past few seasons and he should take a lot of heat off of everyone else.  is he worth the money?  no telling.  it's hard to translate a players salary into fannies in the seats or extra revenue.  and bell will only seem worth it if the team plays very well and makes the playoffs.  only then will it be possible to say it was all because of bell.

we'll see.  i've been observing for many seasons how the jets just don't any players that scare the other team and now they got one.

• Upvote 1

Declaratives before people ever take a snap....how could that go wrong.

I'm very optimistic about Bell, if he comes in motivated, and in shape, he should be very good...if our O-Line doesn't screw it up.

But really, let's see for ourselves if he is "worth it" after we see him play for us., before we start deciding if that huge contract was "worth it".  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

The last time we had better talent was 2010-2011, with LaDainian, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes and Dustin Keller.  I'd submit that Le'Veon is at least as good as LT, Braylon is better than Enunwa, Santonio is probably better than Robby Anderson, but Herndon is more talented than Keller and most importantly, Darnold leaves Sanchez in the dust.

As we all know, the talent is now respectable at a minimum.  It's probably better than that.  But the OLine is the issue.  It's better than last year but can't hold the jock strap of the Line we had in 2010.

Bell will be WAY BETTER than LT was for the Jets. LT was 32 years old in 2010. Bell will be 27 this season. 5 years difference in a RB is like an Ice Age. I agree with you on everything else but Crowder is only 26 & Cotchery was 29 in 2010 & only made a few big plays that year. 3 year difference in age. 

Darnolds pocket awareness is like night & day compared to Sanchez & his short throw accuracy and touch blows Sanchez away who had terrible anticipation on swing passes to the RB or on outs to the sideline. 

Gase vs Shottenheimer? This is gonna be exciting.

• Upvote 2

The last time we had better talent was 2010-2011, with LaDainian, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes and Dustin Keller.  I'd submit that Le'Veon is at least as good as LT, Braylon is better than Enunwa, Santonio is probably better than Robby Anderson, but Herndon is more talented than Keller and most importantly, Darnold leaves Sanchez in the dust.

As we all know, the talent is now respectable at a minimum.  It's probably better than that.  But the OLine is the issue.  It's better than last year but can't hold the jock strap of the Line we had in 2010.

Agreed.  Respectable is where they are at.  For so long us Jet fans have endured some of the worst collections of offensive skill players in the NFL.  Any little improvement is going to feel like a seismic change now.   While this years’ group is improved, it is still not in the top 50% of league yet.   With another offseason and a really smart draft next year, we could see a big jump.   

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Declaratives before people ever take a snap....how could that go wrong.

Let's see for ourselves if he is "worth it" after we see him play for us.  

I think his past tape is a complete fluke. He's Adrien Murrell without that Oline.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

While this years’ group is improved, it is still not in the top 50% of league yet.   With another offseason and a really smart draft next year, we could see a big jump.   

We have enough talent to compete every week and to win in this "aims for parity" era of the NFL.

There is no excuse if this team doesn't compete this year, again.

We don't need to keep saying, every year, "wait till after NEXT year, THEN we'll be good", only to hear the same thing when that times comes.

We may not be Top-5 in talent, and we (like every team) have some weak spots (O-Line, CB), but we are definitely not so talent deficient that we should already be punting on 2019 and makes excuses for why we have to wait till next year.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Warfish said:

We have enough talent to compete every week and to win in this "aims for parity" era of the NFL.

There is no excuse if this team doesn't compete this year, again.

We don't need to keep saying, every year, "wait till after NEXT year, THEN we'll be good", only to hear the same thing when that times comes.

We may not be Top-5 in talent, and we (like every team) have some weak spots (O-Line, CB), but we are definitely not so talent deficient that we should already be punting on 2019 and makes excuses for why we have to wait till next year.

I’m not saying punting on the season,  but this group isn’t where it needs to be to make a serious playoff run.  There’s simply not enough there yet.   A smart draft and a couple good FA pick ups and it could get there.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

I’m not saying punting on the season,  but this group isn’t where it needs to be to make a serious playoff run.  There’s simply not enough there yet.   A smart draft and a couple good FA pick ups and it could get there.   
I think the team could surprise you. It has alot of talent and we are missing a few pieces but there are also alot of young hungry kids on the roster who are going to eat the crap our coaches will spew up. The only positions that worry my are center and cb2

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3

LT was 31 and in year ten of his career. Bell is in the middle of his prime. I think Bell is way ahead of the version of LT we had in 2010.

But yeah, the o line is definitely worse, but Darnold is much better than Sanchez so we should be in good shape.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  Respectable is where they are at.  For so long us Jet fans have endured some of the worst collections of offensive skill players in the NFL.  Any little improvement is going to feel like a seismic change now.   While this years’ group is improved, it is still not in the top 50% of league yet.   With another offseason and a really smart draft next year, we could see a big jump.   

50% is probably a fair assessment of where they are right about now. We have a lot of unknowns though and some players we all expect to ascend (guys like Darnold and Herndon).  It sounds strange but a fairly objective way to judge talent is by looking at Fantasy Football rankings.  It's a decent barometer of how outside observers really assess our players.  On that front I'd submit the following:

1. Darnold is ranked 24th

2. Le'Veon Bell is ranked 8th

3. Chris Herndon is ranked 10th

4. Robby Anderson is ranked 28th (and is far above both Crowder, 57 and Enunwa, 66).  Also, being the top ranked Jets WR it's important to note that some teams have at least 2 Wide Receivers ranked ahead of the the Jets first one.  This is clearly the weak link on the offense.

Having a Top 10 Running Back and Tight End is a HUGE upgrade to what this has had in previous years.  Darnold is an X-factor coming off his rookie year.  I think he's underrated at 24 and could end up the year in the Top 15-20.  Most of the other rankings are hard to argue with although I think Crowder and Enunwa will likely contribute more than their rankings suggest.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

50% is probably a fair assessment of where they are right about now. We have a lot of unknowns though and some players we all expect to ascend (guys like Darnold and Herndon).  It sounds strange but a fairly objective way to judge talent is by looking at Fantasy Football rankings.  It's a decent barometer of how outside observers really assess our players.  On that front I'd submit the following:

4. Robby Anderson is ranked 28th (and is far above both Crowder, 57 and Enunwa, 66)

Having a Top 10 Running Back and Tight End is a HUGE upgrade to what this has had in previous years.  Darnold is an X-factor coming off his rookie year.  I think he's underrated at 24 and could end up the year in the Top 15-20.  Most of the other rankings are hard to argue with although I think Crowder and Enunwa will likely contribute more than their rankings suggest.

Both Enunwa and Crowder need to show they can stay healthy, plus it’s kind of an unknown what the offense may look like at this point.  Collectively it’s a middle of the pack group of offensive playmakers.  If Enunwa goes down and Crowder misses time, there is little depth behind them.   It then becomes bottom 10.  

• Upvote 2

4. Robby Anderson is ranked 28th (and is far above both Crowder, 57 and Enunwa, 66).  Also, being the top ranked Jets WR it's important to note that some teams have at least 2 Wide Receivers ranked ahead of the the Jets first one.  This is clearly the weak link on the offense.

The whole dynamic changes if Darnold is top 15 or better as opposed to 24. 

Personally I see him making that jump with Gase game planning for him and now Bell Ty Crowder a healthy Q and Robbie and Herndon from last year.  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

LT in his prime better than Le’veon can easily be argued, but we got LT late in his career. He was 70% of his former self. All things considered Bell May be a little rusty but still in his prime. LT was at the twilight of his career 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

This is going to be one of the most entertaining offensive seasons we’ve had in a very very long time. 

I don’t think I’ve been anticipating a season this much since 2011 and that quickly went to sh*t. 

And the mummy of tutankamen was the best dancing corpse 

36 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

The whole dynamic changes if Darnold is top 15 or better as opposed to 24. 

Personally I see him making that jump with Gase game planning for him and now Bell Ty Crowder a healthy Q and Robbie and Herndon from last year.  

The three biggest things Darnold needed coming into Year 2 were better coaching, a better OLine and better playmakers.  I think all three will be better to varying degrees this year but there's no doubt that all of them got at least a little bit better.  Sam ended the year on fire in 2018.  It looked like the light bulb had really gone on for him!  If he can carry that into this season then look out.  8 yard passes to Crowell will now go for 40 yard TDs with Bell.  Herndon should hold onto more balls in his hands this year than last year.  Crowder is a brand new weapon and is light years better than Jermaine Kearse.  It's hard not to be optimistic about this season.  (Well, it's hard for some of us, just not those who are perennially negative. :P )

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The three biggest things Darnold needed coming into Year 2 were better coaching, a better OLine and better playmakers.  I think all three will be better to varying degrees this year but there's no doubt that all of them got at least a little bit better.  Sam ended the year on fire in 2018.  It looked like the light bulb had really gone on for him!  If he can carry that into this season then look out.  8 yard passes to Crowell will now go for 40 yard TDs with Bell.  Herndon should hold onto more balls in his hands this year than last year.  Crowder is a brand new weapon and is light years better than Jermaine Kearse.  It's hard not to be optimistic about this season.  (Well, it's hard for some of us, just not those who are perennially negative. :P )

I think Ty Montgomery is also going to be a huge option out of the backfield. 

Geezuz I cannot wait. 

• Upvote 2

I love my sports car.  I probably paid a little more for it than I should have.  But that was 6 months ago and I barely remember it now.  But every time I start the engine I smile from ear to ear and it doesn't drive any different because of what I paid.
When Bell scores two TDs in a game I don't think we'll hear the commentator say, "Bell completely juked that LB out of his shorts on the way to a 31 yard TD....but you know, the Jets paid a little more for him than they should have.  I mean less than what the Steelers paid and were going to pay...but still....you know."

Yeah but this sports car hasn’t been driven in a year. So when you start it up it sounds great, get it around the block, open up the throttle and right when it reaches max throttle poof, sputtering and missing as you realize it’s gonna be in and out of the shop for 4 months.

Players that sit out for training camp end up with constant nagging injuries. Players that sit out a whole year.... plus we’re the Jets.... you get the picture.

I’m glad Bell is here and I think in the long run it’s a good signing, but I can’t wait to see the board flip out when he’s missing games left and right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Yeah but this sports car hasn’t been driven in a year. So when you start it up it sounds great, get it around the block, open up the throttle and right when it reaches max throttle poof, sputtering and missing as you realize it’s gonna be in and out of the shop for 4 months.

Players that sit out for training camp end up with constant nagging injuries. Players that sit out a whole year.... plus we’re the Jets.... you get the picture.

I’m glad Bell is here and I think in the long run it’s a good signing, but I can’t wait to see the board flip out when he’s missing games left and right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep having to post the same piece below to counter your statement.  It is one of those "human" fallacy arguments that many believe, but really isn't factual.  If Bell had missed the season due to a broken collarbone instead of holding out, most wouldn't be saying he will be "rusty or likely to get injured." 

Le'V Bell is a professional athlete and a spectacular football player.  Nothing has changed.

Below is a list of great RBs that missed a year...

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/nfl-running-backs-year-off-leveon-bell-bill-simmons

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1