What's the #1 Most Important Job of an NFL GM?

NFL GM?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. For an NFL GM, Job #1 is....

• College Scouting & The Draft
    • Pro Scouting & Free Agency
    • Roster Management & Salary Cap
    • Establishing the Overall Direction & Vision for the Organization
    • Building, Developing, & Managing a strong Front Office Staff
    • Working Collaborativley & Effectively with the Head Coach
    • Building Strong Ties with NFL League Office and Other GMs
    • Effectively Representing the Team to the Media & Fans
    • Something Else

Building, Developing, & Managing a strong Front Office Staff. 

Doing that means that you've accomplished what you set out to build. That means that the decisions coming from the front office should be producing fruit in their respective areas such as roster, salary cap, player and coach personnel etc. 

I've never seen a front office considered "Strong" yet everything around them is poor...unless the owner does stupid things such as "The coach and GM answers to me, not that the coach answers to the GM". When you do it that way then you can have a strong front office but you're essentially cutting their legs out from under them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If this were the case then Idzik wouldn't have been fired. Yet they fired him, not merely the scouting dept. 

Drafting is a huge part of it, as well it should be. So is making sure there's some cohesive thought to the roster you've got and the FA/draft roster players you add.

Just spending money is easy, and so is cap management.

Cap management is easy. Cap management correctly not so much. Not when you take into consideration Roster management and fielding a competitive team for the long haul. Bye competitive I am talking playoff caliber not a 500 team

Good poll. I picked scouting and draft but i think the best response would be someone who complements the strengths and weaknesses of the owner and coach best. Of course when both GM and HC report into owner, both will constantly be trying to out manoeuvre each other—meaning they can never be frank with one another about their weaknesses.

• Upvote 1

Building, Developing & Managing a strong staff is by far the most important. As a manager of any business you don't have to be the most knowledgeable person at the job. It's ok to have ppl under you who knows more, however you have to be the glue to keep everyone together and know how to handle ppl. You're going to have weaknesses and with a strong and good staff the person under you can compensate where you lack at. As there soo many components to be either a good or bad GM.

• Upvote 1

On 5/25/2019 at 4:10 PM, tkiss24 said:

Drafting significant talent in the 3rd-5th rounds. This prevent needs to overpay for non-premium positions in free agency. As we see looking at the Jets current roster, these type of players are virtually non-existent.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I’d say 2nd too.. take one look at how many studs colts picked last yr in 2nd/3rd round.. many thanks us.. along with getting their number 1 player 6, why they had a HUGE turn around from 17 to 18.. we all credit mac with making the trade up for darnold. A major reason why we know he would have wasted “ at least “ 2 of the 3 second rounders anyway ! So why not use them before lose them for nothing.

18 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If this were the case then Idzik wouldn't have been fired. Yet they fired him, not merely the scouting dept. 

Drafting is a huge part of it, as well it should be. So is making sure there's some cohesive thought to the roster you've got and the FA/draft roster players you add.

Idzik composed a roster with zero CBs for Rex. 

Drafting is how you build your roster so maybe I didn't clarify how important the draft is.  I think that the executive role in drafting is most important while the scout team you assemble is almost as important. You get good information and you can make good draft choices unless you want to rely on consensus opinion on BPA.  

22 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Curious what the patriots do in this regard. they draft close to last every year and the years they have early draft they trade down.

They never make too much noise in FA either.

For them it's the cohesiveness between gm & hc finding good fits