Jump to content

Jets add two more names to GM search


ComfortablyNumb
 Share

Recommended Posts

http:// https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/26/jets-add-two-more-names-to-general-manager-search/
 
 Jets add two more names to General Manager search

Darin Gantt39 mins ago
The Jets have doubled their list of candidates for their vacant General Manager position.

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, they’ve asked to speak with Vikings assistant G.M. George Paton and Seahawks co-director of player personnel Scott Fitterer.

Paton has made the loop of interviews before, but has been with the Vikings the last 12 seasons and no apparent link to Jets coach Adam Gase. Fitterer has been with the Seahawks since 2001, which keeps him from crossing paths with Gase, but he interviewed for the Chiefs job two years ago.

They join the previously reported Joe Douglas and Champ Kelly, both of whom have ties to Gase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Jets have doubled their list of candidates for their vacant General Manager position.

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, they’ve asked to speak with Vikings assistant G.M. George Paton and Seahawks co-director of player personnel Scott Fitterer.

Paton has made the loop of interviews before, but has been with the Vikings the last 12 seasons and no apparent link to Jets coach Adam Gase. Fitterer has been with the Seahawks since 2001, which keeps him from crossing paths with Gase, but he interviewed for the Chiefs job two years ago.

They join the previously reported Joe Douglas and Champ Kelly, both of whom have ties to Gase.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

http:// https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/26/jets-add-two-more-names-to-general-manager-search/
 
 Jets add two more names to General Manager search

Darin Gantt39 mins ago
The Jets have doubled their list of candidates for their vacant General Manager position.

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, they’ve asked to speak with Vikings assistant G.M. George Paton and Seahawks co-director of player personnel Scott Fitterer.

Paton has made the loop of interviews before, but has been with the Vikings the last 12 seasons and no apparent link to Jets coach Adam Gase. Fitterer has been with the Seahawks since 2001, which keeps him from crossing paths with Gase, but he interviewed for the Chiefs job two years ago.

They join the previously reported Joe Douglas and Champ Kelly, both of whom have ties to Gase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Johnson could still create an adversarial relationship between GM and coach with this selection.  The Johnson selections of the past rush to mind

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Chris Johnson could still create an adversarial relationship between GM and coach with this selection.  The Johnson selections of the past rush to mind

sounds like he's wary of hiring a yes man to gase.  that wouldn't be good either.  imo it's good he's looking at other guys to give him some contrast.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

sounds like he's wary of hiring a yes man to gase.  that wouldn't be good either.  imo it's good he's looking at other guys to give him some contrast.

I do not trust Chris to make decisions for the right reasons. I want my GM and coach to be on the same page.  Sure they will disagree.  But if they have the same vision things will go far more smoothly.  He can not let himself get too worried about what people will write about him.  Hire Douglas and go into hiding.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When searching  for a GM you have a pre-conceived notion of your organization. It’s important to hear what others think of you and your needs. You just might hear things that change your opinion on the direction you need to go. Hope the search is limited too many voices can create even more confusion.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I do not trust Chris to make decisions for the right reasons. I want my GM and coach to be on the same page.  Sure they will disagree.  But if they have the same vision things will go far more smoothly.  He can not let himself get too worried about what people will write about him.  Hire Douglas and go into hiding.

I agree.

If you hired a guy like Gase you better know what you bought.  That's the personality you wanted so you need to support it right now.

My guess - this is all a show and Douglas is the guy...

  • Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always wonder when a team "asks permission" to interview a GM or coach..has the person already agreed to be interviewed 1st and the "asking permission" is just some sort of procedural requirement or does the "asking permission" come before even contacting the person?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I always wonder when a team "asks permission" to interview a GM or coach..has the person already agreed to be interviewed 1st and the "asking permission" is just some sort of procedural requirement or does the "asking permission" come before even contacting the person?

I’d guess you’d have to ask the team first since the person is under contract with them. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I always wonder when a team "asks permission" to interview a GM or coach..has the person already agreed to be interviewed 1st and the "asking permission" is just some sort of procedural requirement or does the "asking permission" come before even contacting the person?

Bye rule you can’t contact without permission. My guess is there is some backdoor communication teams don’t need the embarrassment of public rejection. Teams searching for a new GM or Coach have enough negativity attached to them.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Optimistically: Sometimes, even when you know who you're going to hire, you interview a few other guys as a favor to their agents, to increase their profiles and bargaining leverage with their current teams.

Pessimistically: Someone is in Chris Johnson's ear telling him that Gase is actively freezing him out of every aspect of running the team and, in response, this is Chris interjecting himself into the GM hiring process as a lame power move. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Optimistically: Sometimes, even when you know who you're going to hire, you interview a few other guys as a favor to their agents, to increase their profiles and bargaining leverage with their current teams.

Pessimistically: Someone is in Chris Johnson's ear telling him that Gase is actively freezing him out of every aspect of running the team and, in response, this is Chris interjecting himself into the GM hiring process as a lame power move. 

    Cynically: Douglas already told them go relieve yourself in your hat and Kelly has played good soldier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Optimistically: Sometimes, even when you know who you're going to hire, you interview a few other guys as a favor to their agents, to increase their profiles and bargaining leverage with their current teams.

Pessimistically: Someone is in Chris Johnson's ear telling him that Gase is actively freezing him out of every aspect of running the team and, in response, this is Chris interjecting himself into the GM hiring process as a lame power move. 

Realistically- You do not want just have 2 candidates so that you can conduct proper due diligence, learn how others in the league are doing things and understand their ideas, as well create a little bit of bargaining position when talks come down to $$$$$.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

as well create a little bit of bargaining position when talks come down to $$$$$.

Chris Johnson: Actually, George Paton said he’d do it for $2 million.

Joe Douglas: <empty chair where Douglas was sitting spins, door closes behind him and we hear the “click” as the lock engages>

CJ: I think he’s gonna think about it.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Optimistically: Sometimes, even when you know who you're going to hire, you interview a few other guys as a favor to their agents, to increase their profiles and bargaining leverage with their current teams.

Pessimistically: Someone is in Chris Johnson's ear telling him that Gase is actively freezing him out of every aspect of running the team and, in response, this is Chris interjecting himself into the GM hiring process as a lame power move. 

 

11 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

    Cynically: Douglas already told them go relieve yourself in your hat and Kelly has played good soldier.

 

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Realistically- You do not want just have 2 candidates so that you can conduct proper due diligence, learn how others in the league are doing things and understand their ideas, as well create a little bit of bargaining position when talks come down to $$$$$.

Truthfully: Gase is in full control and will get what he wants. CJ cannot resist and is smitten by the Gase's eyes.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's almost comical to see so many assume that because Gase and Douglas know each other they will automatically be on the same page more often than any other candidate. CJ can hire a completely different person and that person and Gase can still get along, be in the same page and be successful.

Why the automatic if we dont hire Douglass we are doomed type of thinking? For all you know for sure....Douglas has had no positive influence in his current organization and can suck. I thought the purpose of interviewing several candidates was to formulate an opinion. Going in with your mind already made is would be an exercise in idiocy.

Let the team interview the best qualified and make a choice. Gase needs to play his position and the GM can do his job. Mac failed because he was a bad GM, not because he and Gase didnt get along. Those bad picks and trades came prior to and after Gase arrived.

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...