My Thoughts on Leonard WIlliams

4 minutes ago, tkiss24 said:

Leo is Bryan Thomas 2.0
Had he been drafted in the late first early second, incredible value....but that production at 6, not what your looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

People need too forget about the #6 pick thing. What is his value now not knowing all the salaries my guess he falls somewhere in the 10 mil or just above. I think this is what a player with his talent and age would command. Just a guess.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

For those who don't want to watch:

- Not worth $14.2M

- No team will give up more than a 3rd for him IMO

- He's worth more than that for this season

- Franchise Tag = ~$20M || Transition Tag = ~$18M

- I like that there is no unfair bias from Mac in the resigning process. Leo has to earn his next deal

- More than likely we wait to address this until after the season

Agreed....and apparently @Jets723 doesnt understand when or why to use the bf.

** retracted**

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

- Not worth $14.2M

- I like that there is no unfair bias from Mac in the resigning process. Leo has to earn his next deal

I agree with wanting Leo to have better stats. It has been disappointing if you look at only the sacks, which is a valid point. But Leo is so much more.

If you watch the games last year, he might not blast the box score in game changing stats likes sacks, but he is an absolute beast. With no pass rush from his teammates off  the edge or inside, he was doubled a lot and still bull rushes and gets QB hits and tackles for loss. He can play every position on the line on every down.

I see this year being more like his his pro bowl year in 2016 when he was lined up with Mo and Sheldon. Pairing him with Q.Williams and company will be fun to watch. 

- Let's evaluate his worth of 14 million we pay him this year after the year, hard to say his value of 14 million if he hasn't even played.

- Leo is not getting shopped for a 3rd...

- If we are in the business of handed Leo a tag deal, would mean he preformed well in his contract year. I would absolutely tag him with the hopes of getting a deal done or signing and trading  

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, tkiss24 said:

Leo is Bryan Thomas 2.0
Had he been drafted in the late first early second, incredible value....but that production at 6, not what your looking for.

I’d take Bryan Thomas any day over this guy, and Thomas was actually the stereotypical Jet Draft pick where fans get happy that he actually is a starter and sees the field.  Steady performer, never a game changer.

As far as his 1st Rd draft selection status, typical Jet GM pick “I’ll take this small school guy to show how smart I am”.  These idiot “GMs” transcend time.  Was Maccagnan somehow related to Bradway?  Maccagnan would throw into the mix “I’ll also make sure the guy I pick is old, so you’ll really see how smart I am”...Jeez I’m still ecstatic they jettisoned that pure Moron, again I worried the Johnson’s would keep their bargain basement priced “GM” because he stumbled on the guy who should now be leading the Giants on deep playoff runs...for the next decade.

All things being equal I’d say Thomas did more than Leo Williams and it’s not even close.

• Thumb Down 1

22 minutes ago, tkiss24 said:

I would trade down....and I’m not blaming anyone for drafting him. I’m saying he hasn’t lived up to expectations and I wouldn’t lock him up no matter what he did this year. I wouldn’t trust a big year this year out of Leo. Also don’t forget the Bills game when he quit on a TD run this past year. That sealed it for me

Fans and not just Jets fans talk about trading down. Just when was the last time a team traded up into the top of the draft for a player not a QB. Just asking 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

Nothing he can do?

If he makes a pro bowl and gets to double digits in sacks.

2 pro bowls in 5 years, while being coached under Todd Bowles and Kacey Rodgers....

Also, don't forget that the year before drafting Darnold, we completely tore down the roster and literally attempted to be bad so we can get a good draft pick for one of the top 3 quarterbacks. 

Trough all that sh*t, you would have a player who stayed healthy and good off the field, he also loves NY and the Jets. 

I am not sure what more a player would have to do, if he has a monster year, who ever this next GM is better to do ever it takes to lock this guy up 

I think you missed Williams quote “I don’t want to play for the Jets if they fire Todd Bowles”.

He’s going to love playing for Gregg Williams haha.  The antithesis of Substitute School Teacher Bowles.

I don’t think ANY DT outside of Aaron Donald deserves some massive 2nd contract, and Williams is so far out of Donald’s league he can’t see him.

That quote of his alone makes me want them to trade him, dollars second.  Just not being close to worth it. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I think you missed Williams quote “I don’t want to play for the Jets if they fire Todd Bowles”.

He’s going to love playing for Gregg Williams haha.  The antithesis of Substitute School Teacher Bowles.

I don’t think ANY DT outside of Aaron Donald deserves some massive 2nd contract, and Williams is so far out of Donald’s league he can’t see him.

That quote of his alone makes me want them to trade him, dollars second.  Just not being close to worth it. 

If he still is saying that then its a problem, otherwise its just a player showing loyalty to his 1st professional HC - well at least 1st HC .  I've heard guys saying they'd run trough walls for coaches and then talk sh*t about them when they were gone . In Leo's case I'd simply guess he's a loyal type of dude. 

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Idk if you people are trolling, crazy, stupid or bias. Williams is a decent player. He has been above average on the field has been a good leader and locker room guy and has stayed out of trouble off the field. The guy is not elite and was not a great pick at 6 in hindsight but he is a good player. We should at least see what we can get out of him this year and see what he will demand in a contract because if he doesnt want top dollar and would settle for pay that matches his production then he is worth signing. You people who want to trade him away for a third rounder realize that we would just be spending another first round pick to replace him right?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

You don’t pay decent defense lineman 14 million per year and sign them to a four five-year contract which is what Leo will be looking for.   Some moronic GM like Mac would do that but it’s not going to happen here . Leo is highly expendable and can be easily replaced by another average DL player for five mill per year and get the same production.  Don’t let the door hit you on the way out .

4 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I see the context of the quote making it off putting considering how bad Bowles is but if you look at it another way it also shows his loyalty to the person who was the head coach of his team at that time. Especially with how attacking the NY media is I could only imagine how many times he was asked the question before giving that quote. 

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

If he still is saying that then its a problem, otherwise its just a player showing loyalty to his 1st professional HC - well at least 1st HC .  I've heard guys saying they'd run trough walls for coaches and then talk sh*t about them when they were gone . In Leo's case I'd simply guess he's a loyal type of dude. 

Good point made...but I still don’t want him for the dollars he’ll want.

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

- Not worth $14.2M

Great job, again. 

I have a feeling that we will likely see significantly more impact from Leo this season due to a combination of; contract year, Greg Williams, and possible Q Will. 

I have a feeling after the season most of the talk surrounding what he wants on an extension will have to do with what he was supposed to be when he was drafted, and a more than likely decent 2019 season. Leo and his agent will want to conveniently overlook the first 4 years of his career. 

I can't see him taking a discount or looking for something reasonable for his production (what player ever does?). In my mind, I don't see him worth more than the contact Anderson got. Since I'm assuming he cannot be resigned on something reasonable, I want him to be an impact player this year (if that's possible) and then franchise and trade him, since that's the popular thing these days. Let someone else pay him what he wants. We've been down that road before and I'm not looking to do it again

Thank God Mac won't be making the call. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

- Not worth $14.2M

Also completely agree with you that trading him now/during the season would not be smart. Would much rather let the season play out than try to trade him at his lowest. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

All things being equal I’d say Thomas did more than Leo Williams and it’s not even close.

BT played 11 years, at a different position(OLB/DE), and only had 3 seasons where he had 3 or more sacks. 

Leo has played 4 years as a 3-4 DL, and has had 3 seasons with 3 or more sacks. 

I guess I’d have to say that “it hasn’t even been close” also.

• Upvote 2

I’d take Bryan Thomas any day over this guy, and Thomas was actually the stereotypical Jet Draft pick where fans get happy that he actually is a starter and sees the field.  Steady performer, never a game changer.
As far as his 1st Rd draft selection status, typical Jet GM pick “I’ll take this small school guy to show how smart I am”.  These idiot “GMs” transcend time.  Was Maccagnan somehow related to Bradway?  Maccagnan would throw into the mix “I’ll also make sure the guy I pick is old, so you’ll really see how smart I am”...Jeez I’m still ecstatic they jettisoned that pure Moron, again I worried the Johnson’s would keep their bargain basement priced “GM” because he stumbled on the guy who should now be leading the Giants on deep playoff runs...for the next decade.

I was at the draft when we took Thomas. If you remember the reason we picked him was because Herm had the genius plan to turn Shaun Ellis into warren Sapp. Ellis gained weight and spent all offseason converting to DT. Herm abandoned that plan after the Colts torches is on the ground week 1 that year. Then our new edge rusher became a “solid against the run” OLB who finished his career with 33.5 sacks. What a disaster with Ed Reed pocked right after

• Sympathy 1

Every team needs at least 2 solid DL.  

There are some teams that need another one.  

A team like that will pay Leo what he is looking for, especially since Leo will likely have a solid year this year. 

The Jets should not be that team.  This is, in part, based on what Mac did.  If the Jets drafted someone else in round 1, the case for keeping Leo, and paying him decently, would be much stronger.  

Leo will do fine in the NFL, and make a lot of money.  He will just need to work for it, year after year.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Lol whut?

Thomas spent more time at the dentist his first four years than in the backfield.

Not sure you saw him play.  

Leo has been far the superior player. 

And it’s not even close. 

• Upvote 1