MMQB: Breer talks to Gase

He’s also impressed with Jamal Adams. Here’s one thing that did go wrong during OTAs last week.

“It’s frustrating a little bit, because a lot of these guys have played against this offense,” Gase said. “So the first practice, we go out there and Jamal’s calling out everything. He knows run or pass, he’s able to at least say, ‘Hey, I think this is coming.’ And sometimes, he was right, and I’m going, ‘Really? First day, you’re gonna do that?’ He’s like, ‘I’ve played you four times, we’ve played two years, I have an idea of what this stuff is.’

“Which, it was really cool to see how competitive he was, and how much every practice means to that guy. Just watching guys like Leonard Williams and CJ, all these guys I personally had to be on the other sideline from.”

To translate that: You can put Adams is in the Mosley category for Gase.

• Upvote 3

Darnold’s work ethic has jumped out. To get the offense down, the second-year quarterback has devoured tape of Gase’s offense from the last six years—Denver to Chicago to Miami. And that got his coach’s attention.

“When you watch him just throw, anyone can watch him throw and go, ‘that guy can throw the football,’” Gase said. “I think the side that I didn’t know as much, and I’ve seen it since I’ve been here, is how competitive he is as far as learning football.  He wants to be as good as he can be. He wants to be a great player. And you can tell by his work ethic, that’s what he wants to do. He’s not just talking the talk.”

As you might imagine, a lot of that study, with all due respect to Ryan Tannehill and Jay Cutler, has led to Darnold to one place. “He asks a lot of questions about Peyton [Manning], obviously,” Gase says. And it’s everything from how Manning handles himself/the offense at the line to what Manning would ask in meetings, all the way down to how Manning would take notes.

“He watches a lot of the old stuff—he’s watched a lot of Peyton’s stuff,” Gase said. “He’s watched almost all of our cut-ups. The good thing is we’ve got a pretty healthy library of examples … He’s watched so much of it he can bring up certain plays from different seasons to where he’ll ask a question—hey, what made him do this? Or why did he think this way? He’s really gone through a lot of this stuff already.”

• Upvote 4

Le’Veon Bell’s place. Regardless of how Bell landed on the roster, he’s a Jet now. And so Gase has big plans for him.

“I think he’s very motivated to do well and help this team win,” Gase said. “And I think the more people keep talking, the more he keeps putting his head down and working. For me, I’ve combed through a lot of the things he’s done in Pittsburgh to make sure I really understands what he loves doing, and make sure we do a good job of building this offense, because it’s very fluid and flexible, it’s chameleon-like.”

The implication there, of course, is that he would adjust his scheme and center it around Bell, which makes sense since Gase went on to say, “You have a guy that’s an elite player and can do a lot of things.” And a guy who, if things go right, could wind up being a young quarterback’s best friend.

“He’s going to make things happen,” Gase said. “I think any time you got a guy that can do that, and has done that in the past, and done it at a historic rate, it’s going to be very valuable for our quarterback.”

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Le’Veon Bell’s place. Regardless of how Bell landed on the roster, he’s a Jet now. And so Gase has big plans for him.

“I think he’s very motivated to do well and help this team win,” Gase said. “And I think the more people keep talking, the more he keeps putting his head down and working. For me, I’ve combed through a lot of the things he’s done in Pittsburgh to make sure I really understands what he loves doing, and make sure we do a good job of building this offense, because it’s very fluid and flexible, it’s chameleon-like.”

The implication there, of course, is that he would adjust his scheme and center it around Bell, which makes sense since Gase went on to say, “You have a guy that’s an elite player and can do a lot of things.” And a guy who, if things go right, could wind up being a young quarterback’s best friend.

“He’s going to make things happen,” Gase said. “I think any time you got a guy that can do that, and has done that in the past, and done it at a historic rate, it’s going to be very valuable for our quarterback.”

just post the entire article dude

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I hate the local beat writers. Even Costello in the NY Post, who I believe is one of the better ones, is fixated on Gase losing credibility on the Mac firing. I just don’t understand the fixation. Let’s move forward with Gase and the new GM. As Gase said, the only thing the fans care about is winning.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

I hate the local beat writers. Even Costello in the NY Post, who I believe is one of the better ones, is fixated on Gase losing credibility on the Mac firing. I just don’t understand the fixation. Let’s move forward with Gase and the new GM. As Gase said, the only thing the fans care about is winning.

Imagine actually losing credibility because of Macc, who actually had none when he came here and none when he left?

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

You need to cut them some slack as their job is to get views/clicks and the vast majority of people scrolling through the Post or Daily News on their iPad on the train are casual fans.

That being said, Im surprised there aren't  more guys who dont care about clicks (for whatever reason) and write unbiased articles.  The truth is that VERY few writers/reporters have any idea what Gase is really like and how he interacts with the GM/personnel guys.  The true test of what the league actually thinks about Gase and the Johnson's will be who winds up with this job.  When a GM job opens up with a QB as good as Sam, who also happens to be 22, guys should be jumping to take the job.  We will see what happens

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

He asks a lot of questions about Peyton [Manning], obviously,” Gase says. And it’s everything from how Manning handles himself/the offense at the line to what Manning would ask in meetings, all the way down to how Manning would take notes.

“He watches a lot of the old stuff—he’s watched a lot of Peyton’s stuff,” Gase said. “He’s watched almost all of our cut-ups. The good thing is we’ve got a pretty healthy library of examples … He’s watched so much of it he can bring up certain plays from different seasons to where he’ll ask a question—hey, what made him do this? Or why did he think this way? He’s really gone through a lot of this stuff already.”

Sam Darnold is going to be one of the GOATs...mark my words.

• Upvote 3

Gase is smart and a strong personality. This what the jets need now after the Bowles and Mac era, plus CHris Johnson  does not have a lot of experience. I am hopeful they will hire a solid GM since the names we have heard so far all seem pretty decent. We need a strong GM that can work well with Gase but be a good check on him so he doesn’t go crazy and the GM has to be able to have relative control over the whole football operation to keep Johnson in check too.

27 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I don't know how this Gase era will turn out, but I do think he is a very smart guy.  That might not translate to wins but I'd rather take my chances on someone like that.

the practices will have more organization and energy.  That will relfect on Sunday, at least

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Fine article, but what you draw from it is that Gase knows exactly what he wants reporters to hear and gives it to them in a way that's mutually beneficial, which will serve him well. Gase served up a litany of platitudes with one relatively newsy item (not hating Miami) and Breer still gave him top billing in SI. In NY, that will go a long way toward engendering positive coverage from the beat hacks--they only get mad when you freeze them out, otherwise they don't care what you tell them as long as it's something they can print before hitting the Applebee's.

Thanks for interpreting

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Fine article, but what you draw from it is that Gase knows exactly what he wants reporters to hear and gives it to them in a way that's mutually beneficial, which will serve him well. Gase served up a litany of platitudes with one relatively newsy item (not hating Miami) and Breer still gave him top billing in SI. In NY, that will go a long way toward engendering positive coverage from the beat hacks--they only get mad when you freeze them out, otherwise they don't care what you tell them as long as it's something they can print before hitting the Applebee's.

That's all fine and good. At least I think so.

3 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Gase is smart and a strong personality. This what the jets need now after the Bowles and Mac era, plus CHris Johnson  does not have a lot of experience. I am hopeful they will hire a solid GM since the names we have heard so far all seem pretty decent. We need a strong GM that can work well with Gase but be a good check on him so he doesn’t go crazy and the GM has to be able to have relative control over the whole football operation to keep Johnson in check too.

but he won't.  Chris has ordained that they answer equally to him

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

It's a case, IMO, of reporters trying to "create" news instead of just reporting it.

• Upvote 2

Good article. My biggest hope is that he allows Sam to be Sam. Despite being an offensive guy his offense in Miami was more conservative than what we had under Bowles, being near the top of the league in failed completions (Kirk Cousins speciality the stat compiling 6 yard reception on 3rd and 9). I hope Darnold is correct and he is allowed to sling it downfield and we run the dynamic offense Darnold is suited for not a continuous dink and dunk offense that Miami favored when Gase was there.

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Good article. My biggest hope is that he allows Sam to be Sam. Despite being an offensive guy his offense in Miami was more conservative than what we had under Bowles, being near the top of the league in failed completions (Kirk Cousins speciality the stat compiling 6 yard reception on 3rd and 9). I hope Darnold is correct and he is allowed to sling it downfield and we run the dynamic offense Darnold is suited for not a continuous dink and dunk offense that Miami favored when Gase was there.

Sam is goin to be a All-star because he wants it and he wants it’s bad. thats my guy. Let’s get it this year,

12 hours ago, mrcoops said:

That's a really good piece, and very encouraging to read.

Gase is a breath of fresh air for this team, and he is doing what needs to be done to turn the team around.

Thanks for posting the link.

This team swings back and forth from coach to coach like a pendulum.  Herm was too "country club" and a player's coach with his BBQs, etc.....enter hard ass Eric Mangini who tries to leak-proof the building and won't let players speak to the media, his rigidity alienated some guys who said football was no longer fun.

Enter Rex Ryan with his loud bravado, tough talk and Super Bowl predictions.  The loose ship was fun for a while until players started punching each other in the face and we learned Rex didn't even know where the offensive team meetings were held in the building.

Off we go to Todd Bowles.....cool, calm (did he have a pulse?), emotionless and steady.  Unfortunately, he was steady at losing.

So here we are!  Gase, Type A, direct, not going to take sh*t, may burn bridges on his way to where he's taking this team.

Destination? TBD.

But I'm onboard!

Longcase-Clock-89408.gif.c838e7b90b4760f511718463968a63d4.gif

• Upvote 1

there are some good and bad things in this article.  the good have already been stated.  the bad is that adams already knew what the gase offense was doing when they took the field during the camp.  ow this may mean that gase was being very basic during the ota's.  it could also mean that adams really does know what the other teams are doing and does live and die football (this is a good thing).  but if gase's offense is predictable then the other teams' in the afc east also know what he's going to be doing.